PDA

View Full Version : New Amityville Horror movie

Terry
04-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Went and checked it out today. Didn't expect much from it, but it ended up kinda creeping me out.

Anyone else see this?

academic punk
04-22-2005, 05:55 PM
I fuckin' grew up two towns over from where that took place.

One of the popular things in high school was to get stoned and drive over there and hang out. Must have been hell for the neighbors.

Not the house. The high school kids.

julia
04-22-2005, 07:19 PM
i really wanna see it since i loved the original

tjvhou812
04-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Went and checked it out today. Didn't expect much from it, but it ended up kinda creeping me out.

Anyone else see this?

it sucked

FORD
04-22-2005, 10:52 PM
I heard they already have Hagar lined up to play the lead role in the sequel, the Sammyville Horror.

Of course the soundtrack will be far scarier than the movie.

Mezro
04-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Saw it last night and it was weak as shit with a few cheap shock pops.

Mezro...wait for the DVD...

Antman
04-23-2005, 09:12 PM
I can't believe they actually remade this shit. It was a fuckin hoax. Then they came out with two more sequels including Amityville 3D. Can we look forward to those remakes too?

Stillwell
04-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Amityville, in itself, is a horror. The town is a cross between Bosnia and Queens. No wonder why the residents are prone to familicide.

Terry
04-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Yeah, can't say why it got under my skin. Wasn't bugged out by the original, which I saw when I was a kid, and know enough of the story to know that the Amityville remake (as well as the original) had virtually nothing to do with the truth.
Maybe it was the thought of having blown ten bucks to see the thing that made me convince myself it was scarier than it was.
That little dead chick STILL kinda creeped me out.
Are we gonna look forward to more remakes? Well, look at all the cheesy 70s tv shows that have been turned into movies, along with all the movies that have been remade, and it wouldn't be a shock to see Amityville 3D remade.
Peobably a better idea would have been to do a movie about the DeFeo murders, which Amityville 2 made references to.

LadyTudor2711
04-23-2005, 11:21 PM
There are some movies that do not need to be remade.

Breakfast at Tiffany's with Jennifer Love Hewitt, her ar Audrey Hepburn??? Duh. Truman Capote must have turned in his grave...

The Amityville Horror is another example. It was better as a low budget horror flick that really gets you. No special effects.. The first film generated of 80 million dollars. Always about the money...

I will wait for Movies in demand.

Save your money.

Best

LT

Triumph
04-24-2005, 12:41 AM
When the original film came out starring Margot Kidder and James Brolin we had a red laundry room in the basement that my parents left red for some reason.
after that movie i never went down there again.
In that same house they changed the basement carpet and under the padding was one of those devil worshipping stars.
I was real happy when they said we were moving.

Panamark
04-24-2005, 06:12 AM
I know a person who has been involved with the ongoing saga of the "Amityville Horror" home. (Long Story) There is a group out there called "The Warrens" who make money out of all of this, and try to keep the myth alive. (Do a search on google for warrens amityville)
I know this group has physically threatened this person I know.

Was it just the lutz family that had this shit happen, or has every
resident of that house experienced this supposed evil presence ?
(Of course not)

Basically, its a load of bullshit. But thats never got in the way of a
good movie.

Was Melissa George convincing at all ??

Terry
04-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Saw a blurb on tv today with cast of the new AH movie, where they're blathering on about being interested in portaying "real" people and the "real" story. Funny thing is, the remake had less to do with the book than the first movie did, and the book itself turned out to be a bunch of horseshit.

If Melissa George was the cast member who portrayed Kathy Lutz in the remake, then no, she was actually the weakest as far as acting went.

Guess George Lutz is now being sued by MGM for going out there and saying virtually nothing in the remake is true, while he is subsequently suing MGM for, among other things, portraying him like an axe-swinging loony who went bonkers in the house and almost killed his family.

So I'm kinda wondering what reality the new AH cast claims they're basing their performances on.

George Lutz kinda wants to have it both ways, though. Implies that SOMETHING happened at the house at some points (he didn't exactly cry foul when the book and movie came out in the late 1970s), but will then go and claim nothing happened when someone's version portrays him as a loony. He's too coy about the whole thing, and too interested in making a bucl off of it, for me to have much sympathy for him.

mwsully
04-24-2005, 10:58 PM
This movie and most horror/scary movies have lost their aim. There is no creepiness anymore. Shock value? Yes. But no good creepiness, with a damn good story that's tied together.

Horror/Terror are supposed to bring out discomfort in us all. Case in point is The Exorcist, where the producers/director contrast a little girl with an evil demon. The Shining, with few shocks, was just as creepy. The Omen, Hell House (the British one), The Others all created a wonderfully creepy atmosphere, and told a good story.

American scary movies are terrible now.

academic punk
04-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Sahara was pretty fuckin' scary.

You know, just for existing.

Panamark
04-25-2005, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Terry

If Melissa George was the cast member who portrayed Kathy Lutz in the remake, then no, she was actually the weakest as far as acting went.

Yeah Melissa George played Kathy Lutz. She is an ex Aussie Soap
actress (who couldnt act).. Im not surpirsed to hear she wasnt
convincing.. Thats why I asked.

As for Geaorge Lutz, why dont they interview all the other dudes that
have lived in the house ??

Its total bullshit.

Terry
04-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Far as the people who lived in the Amityville house after the Lutz family, two different families lived there for about a decade perfamily. Neither reported ANYTHING out of the ordinary happened there. About the worst thing that happened to them was having to contend with a steady stream of tourists. The address, 112 Ocean Avenue, has been changed, and the distinctive windows on the top floor have been removed.

That red room in the basement was just an access closet to get to some plumbing; never had enough room for anyone to walk around in.

As for the new AH movie, the child actors were by far the best actors in the movie, although it was really the special effects that carried the picture.