PDA

View Full Version : T.O. Not A Free Agent After All

ALinChainz
02-26-2004, 05:12 PM
49ers | Owens Not a Free Agent After All - 02/26/04

SportsLine.com's Jay Glazer reports San Francisco 49ers WR Terrell Owens will not be an unrestricted free agent after all. Owens and his agent, David Joseph, failed to send the proper paperwork to void his contract. Instead of becoming a free agent in March, Owens is now under contract for three more years.

ALinChainz
02-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Now that was real smart. And T.O. spent a lot of the off season bad mouthing the Niners. Oops.

DLR7884
02-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Could this have happened to a bigger dickhead?

I fucking love it.

DLR7884
I wonder how much money this could have cost him????

Troy
02-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Here's the ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1745092&partnersite=espn)

This is the best line from it:

"The $17.7 million in combined base salaries probably represents just a little more than Owens would have sought in an initial signing bonus if he were a free agent."

HAHAHA!!! Serves him right.

ALinChainz
02-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Was just looking around for that myself. I know he was wanting the sginging bonus up around the $20 million mark. I think Moss got $18 million when he signed his big deal a couple seasons back.

I agree, take that Terrell. Too bad they won't pull a Marcus Allen on him like the Raiders did, bench him and waste a couple years of his career. Not that I'm a big Allen fan either, but wouldn't mind someone giving T.O. some shit.

DLR7884
02-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Right on.

Fuck that guy.

San Fran is in great shape now to dump his ass and pick up some draft picks or some veterans.

They should be thanking T.O.'s FORMER agent.

DLR7884
Wonder if he got fired yet?

Troy
02-26-2004, 05:57 PM
The same thing happened to Dennis Northcutt this week.

Hecubus
02-27-2004, 12:59 AM
Yup. They'll pick up some good prospects in a trade for sure. He's filing a grievance tho, so we shall see.

Interesting however, the Niners cut Garrison Hearst (a fan fav out here), Derrick Deese, who has been a fucking stalwart since the Montana years, and Sean Moran. There's talk they may cut Garcia because he's not working with the team on restructuring his contract. It's a mess for us Niner fans. New coach, who's not really well liked out here at all, finally gets to bring in his own off & def coords. since the Niners lost Mora & Knapp to Atlanta....

It's the fucking owners. DeBartolo lost the team to his sister & she gave it to her husband who never played a down of football in his life & is using it as a hobby....running it right into the fucking ground....

Ah....what do you expect from the asshole who fired Steve Mariucci while he was 4 sheets to the wind...

I know... I know....you choads have no sympathy for a team that has 5 Lombardis....

I feel for the Lions fans for sure....

ALinChainz
02-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Don't feel too bad for us. We won't get Champ Bailey, but we'll have about $12-$15 million under the cap to sign some players with, hopefully one of them being CB Plummer, another 49er.

Things are looking up out here, and it is sad to see the once mighty Niners being torn down when it seems like they just made it back to being the perennial playoff contender year in and year out.

ALinChainz
02-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Owens blames league for contract mix-up

February 27, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Terrell Owens believes the NFL and the San Francisco 49ers are responsible for his contract predicament -- not his agent.

Owens, a four-time Pro Bowl receiver, is still under contract to the 49ers after his agent missed the NFL deadline for notifying the team of his intention to void the final three years of his deal. Owens and agent David Joseph claim they weren't told that the deadline had been moved up 10 days to Feb. 21.

``I can assure you that neither my agent nor myself made a mistake like this,'' Owens told Sporting News Radio on Friday. ``For people to go out and say my agent made a mistake is utterly ridiculous and insane.''

Owens said neither he nor his agent ever received notification of the advanced deadline. Joseph has filed a grievance with the NFL Management Council through the players' union, but a hearing hasn't been scheduled.

Owens hoped to land a big contract as an unrestricted free agent, but unless Thursday's league ruling is overturned, the 49ers will be free to keep Owens' rights or trade him. San Francisco officials had no comment on the situation Friday.

Owens criticized the 49ers for showing ``no loyalty'' and ripped team consultant Bill Walsh during the interview, but didn't rule out returning to his only NFL team.

``With these distractions going on, I'm going to prepare myself harder than I ever have,'' Owens said. ``I don't foresee myself being in San Francisco, but if that's the case, they know the type of player they are going to get.''

Troy
02-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz

``I can assure you that neither my agent nor myself made a mistake like this,'' Owens told Sporting News Radio on Friday. ``For people to go out and say my agent made a mistake is utterly ridiculous and insane.''

Of course... Never has an athelete made a mistake. Why can't someone have the balls to say "Shit, I fucked up". Just once I'd like to hear that. More and more, atheletes are turning into politicians.