PDA

View Full Version : POJO, AL, Va Help me out here!

vanzilla
04-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Hey fellas - I'm sitting down with Bobby Bowden tomorrow morning (he's speaking at a local church in Nashville) - Are there any hot topics going on in college football that I should ask him (other that the BCS debate)? I've got a few in mind, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Okay...on a joking note...you have to ask him about Spurrier coming back to the college ranks...near the end of your interview...what that will do for College Football...

hang tight...let me put my CF hat on...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 01:52 AM
You'd have to ask him about instant replay...aren't they using it next year?

Ask him how it's possible to have instant replay in the college ranks when all games aren't televised...and when they are...nationally televised games have at least 5 more camera angles than local...

you'd have to check the rule on that...but I'm sure he'll have a thought about it...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 01:53 AM
I'm not sure if it's college football doing it...or just the Big 10...but I know it's a hot button topic...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 01:58 AM
I don't want you pissin' the guy off...but Steroids is a hot button topic...maybe it's something you throw to him...

something like...

with Steroids taking center stage in MLB...and again in football...what have you done to combat it at FSU...

ALinChainz
04-24-2005, 01:58 AM
Spurrier is obviously a killer topic there like Pojo said. There is always the standard recruiting questions about high school football in Florida.

His sons, McPherson and if he thinks he'll be a good pro.

redblkwht
04-24-2005, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
You'd have to ask him about instant replay...aren't they using it next year?

Ask him how it's possible to have instant replay in the college ranks when all games aren't televised...and when they are...nationally televised games have at least 5 more camera angles than local...

you'd have to check the rule on that...but I'm sure he'll have a thought about it... great question there, the 5 cameras..say that for sure, see what his reaction is bro..post it too..;)

vanzilla
04-24-2005, 02:02 AM
I'm not sure if it's college football doing it...or just the Big 10...but I know it's a hot button topic...

No, the SEC is doing instant replay too.

Here's what I had in mind....

1. BCS - love it or leave it?

2. Are the bigger conferences expanding to the point where their power/clout is detremental to the sport?

3. Now that he's in his mid 70's - has his role evolved into focusing on the future of the program after he's retired?

4. Is it more difficult to relate to players in the "instant gratification" age as opposed to the early stages of his coaching career?

5. What does he remember most about playing TN for an National Championship back in 98? (99 Fiesta Bowl)

6. Spurrier's return - how it impacts college football.

7. His opinion of Urban Meyer.

8. His memories of Todd Williams (Todd is a former FSU player that was homeless in high school - he didn't play ball until his Sr. year in HS, then was recruited by FSU - Now playing for the Titans at OL)

WHAT THE FUCK AM I MISSING. THIS IS KILLING ME! I know there's a few obvious questions tthat I'm forgetting.

vanzilla
04-24-2005, 02:03 AM
I don't want you pissin' the guy off...but Steroids is a hot button topic...maybe it's something you throw to him...

something like...

with Steroids taking center stage in MLB...and again in football...what have you done to combat it at FSU...

GREAT IDEA!

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:04 AM
Go further with the recruiting question...ask him where he looks to outside of Florida...or maybe even better...other than Florida...where has he had the most success in the past...

I think you oughta tread lightly with the Spurrier question...perhaps wrap it up in an Urban Meyer question...

ask him about the most wins record in CF...and how long he intends on coaching...

maybe go further about his sons...would he like to see a Bowden carry on at FSU when/if he ever does retire...

vanzilla
04-24-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Spurrier is obviously a killer topic there like Pojo said. There is always the standard recruiting questions about high school football in Florida.

His sons, McPherson and if he thinks he'll be a good pro.

I forgot about McPherson. That's excellent considering it's Draft weekend!!!

God Damn you guys are good!

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:07 AM
Be specific with your question about the mega-conferences...

Ask him if the ACC is setting a dangerous trend...snagging Miami, BC and Virginia Tech...and ask how FSU feels about adding 2 superpowers and 1 solid team to the ACC...is it good that Miami and FSU have a conference match up every year when it could knock them out of the national title game...and even the BCS in some years...

ask how the mega conference will help or hurt recruiting...now that the ACC play is also a play that powers VTech and Miami will use...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:09 AM
Ask him his BEST memory since becoming a coach (curious if he picks his wins...or perhaps watching his sons win)...

Ask him which coach he likes coaching against the most...and see if you can get him to talk about someone he hasn't had luck with...

ALinChainz
04-24-2005, 02:10 AM
maybe go further about his sons...would he like to see a Bowden carry on at FSU when/if he ever does retire...

This is good, never even thought about it.

vanzilla
04-24-2005, 02:10 AM
Guys - I can't thank you enough. Where else can you go at 1:00 am CST on a Saturday night to get help with your homework?

Another reason I love the Army! I'll update you on how it went later today. I've talked with Bobby before and had a great time. He's never met a camera he didn't like, so I'm sure the Spurrier thing won't bother him at all.

You dare me to ask him Roth or Hagar?

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:11 AM
Maybe ask him a fucked up question...

like...

which former pro coach will have a bigger impact on the college game...Charlie Weis or Jerry Glanville (in Hawaii--and that will have some local flavor...even though Glanville was in Houston)...

Ask him how he feels about the seemingly growing trend of firing coaches with .500 records...and how it effects the game from year to year...

Ask him about minority hires...and what FSU does to ensure it meets the growing demands of a society that's diverse...

ALinChainz
04-24-2005, 02:12 AM
Why not, he had sons ... he might have an idea.

:D

vanzilla
04-24-2005, 02:13 AM
Ask him his BEST memory since becoming a coach (curious if he picks his wins...or perhaps watching his sons win)...

Ask him which coach he likes coaching against the most...and see if you can get him to talk about someone he hasn't had luck with...

POJO, you are the Bernard Goldberg of this site man!

I'd give you another 5 if I could.

Seriously, thanks to everyone who helped me out. You guys kick ass!

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:14 AM
Oh...I got it Van...

go with something like this...

Last year...how hard was it for you to choose between your incumbant QB Chris Rix, and whoever that freshman was...then throw in...the VH singer battle...lmfao...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:15 AM
1 last one...

at this stage in his career...even though he loads up year in and year out...and has the National Title in his sights...

which would be more important to him...winning the National Title...or watching his son win if he couldn't...

and ask him shit about what the dinner table looks like the night before FSU/Clemson...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:17 AM
Van...seriously...tell him that you write for a rock website in your downtime (that's not a lie...you write like a motherfucker here)...and the fans at the site are dying to know who he'd prefer...Roth or Hagar to front Van Halen...lmfao...tell him it's a question you ask everyone...and do one better...tell him if he doesn't know...you'll toss a coin for him...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:19 AM
You're probably gone...so this'll be my last post...you could do a word association with some of the tougher topics...

Spurrier

Steroids

that kind of shit...

oh dude...

ASK HIM IF HE HAS EVER BEEN APPROACHED BY A PRO TEAM!

vanzilla
04-24-2005, 02:20 AM
1 last one...

and ask him shit about what the dinner table looks like the night before FSU/Clemson...

That's fucking solid man!!!

Dude - where do you live? I'm flying your ass in to do the interview!
How come your not on the air somewhere? Seriously man - you're an encyclopedia!

POJO is my new Obi-Wan.

pm me with your address and I'll mail you a copy of the interview on VHS.

vanzilla
04-24-2005, 02:26 AM
You're probably gone...so this'll be my last post...you could do a word association with some of the tougher topics...

Spurrier

Steroids

that kind of shit...

oh dude...

ASK HIM IF HE HAS EVER BEEN APPROACHED BY A PRO TEAM!

Damn dude - now I'm really stoked to do this interview. What's amazing is - I didn't even know he was coming to town until 9:00 tonight when I saw the press release in the trash can. I asked my sports director why he didn't tell me about it - he replied - "Why does anyone care what Bobby Bowden has to say - this is UT Country?" How fucking dumb is that? Shit, he's only the winningest coach in college football - I think several people would care what he has to say. Can you believe the idiots that are on TV?

If you think that's bad, my station also didn't send a reporter to talk to Donald Rumsfeld, who was in town today. I'm telling you man, fucking local news is a joke. If the money wasn't so good I'd get the fuck out in a heartbeat. Complacency kills.

Oh yeh, that ROTH HAGAR QUESTION IS IN LIKE A MOTHER FUCKER!

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:28 AM
lmfao...I can't wait to see the look on his face when you ask him that shit...

I guarantee you UT fans are interested in what Bowden has to say...especially if Spurrier is mentioned...lmfao...

Christ...I'D LOVE to interview fucking Rumsfeld...I could imagine what his answer would be to the Roth/Hagar question...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:30 AM
I wish Va was here...I can imagine he'd have a JoePa question for you...

and don't ask Bobby where he "buys" his sneakers...or...

lmfao...

don't phrase the McPherson question like this...

"If you were a betting man Bobby...where do you think Adrian will end up..."

vanzilla
04-24-2005, 02:34 AM
I wish Va was here...I can imagine he'd have a JoePa question for you...

and don't ask Bobby where he "buys" his sneakers...or...

lmfao...

don't phrase the McPherson question like this...

"If you were a betting man Bobby...where do you think Adrian will end up..."

Shit man - now I have to cross those off the list!:D

I'm out fellas. Thanks again for coming through like champs!!!!

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:35 AM
Later bro...good luck...tell Bobby Amato says hi...;)

Va Beach VH Fan
04-24-2005, 10:13 AM
No, no JoePa questions....

Forgive me, but lemme ask a biased question...

Ask him for a scouting report on Bryant McFadden, the CB that the Steelers just drafted in the 2nd round....

Fairwrning
04-24-2005, 10:34 AM
damn just saw this thread...i like the joke question at the end...Hagar or Roth..that will tell just what kind of person Bowden is..lmao

vanzilla
04-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Just got back from Bobby. His plane was late, so everything was rushed. I only got to ask him 4 questions before I got the notorious tap on the shoulder and they zoomed him into the the chapel.

Didn't get the Roth/Hagar question in there. - DAMMIT.

He did say that he thinks McPherson deserves a second chance and has more than paid for his mistakes. He thought he is one of the best quarterbacks out there.

Doesn't like the BCS - but has learned to live with it because he doesn't think a playoff system will happen in his lifetime.

Damn - I wish I would've had more time with him. It was a tough situation with 20 people yanking him in 20 different directions.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this.

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:24 PM
You know the Army...just here to help...;)