PDA

View Full Version : Moussaoui Case Sparks Execution Fight

DrMaddVibe
04-25-2005, 07:09 AM
Sunday, April 24, 2005

WASHINGTON — Now the real trouble begins as the case of Zacarias Moussaoui (search) hurtles toward a conclusion and the life of the admitted terrorist conspirator hangs in the balance.

Next comes the penalty phase in the criminal prosecution of the 36-year-old French citizen, who says the endgame of his flight training for 747 airliners was a strike on the White House, separate from the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

As chilling as Moussaoui's admissions are, international hostility to executions and the need for cooperation in President Bush's fight against terrorism raise an intriguing question: Does the Bush administration really want to put this man to death? The answer Friday was an unequivocal yes, as prosecutors basked in the glow of a victory that brought deep expressions of gratitude from relatives of Sept. 11 victims.

"As family members we thank you," Hamilton Peterson said in heartfelt comments to Assistant U.S. Attorney Ken Melson (search) outside the courthouse in Alexandria, Va., where Moussaoui pleaded guilty. Hamilton's father and stepmother died on United Airlines Flight 93 (search) in Pennsylvania.

Hamilton praised the president's "ever-vigilant efforts."

The Moussaoui case looks a lot different overseas. The European Union condemns the death penalty for foreign nationals in the United States. France, Moussaoui's country of origin, urges that he not be subject to execution.

German authorities have expressed reluctance to turn over evidence they had about Moussaoui because of concerns regarding his possible execution. Spain has said that it would not extradite terrorist suspects to the United States if they could be executed.

"Seeking the death penalty in the Moussaoui case always was going to be a very dicey choice," former federal prosecutor Larry Barcella said. In addition to Europe, the Muslim world "would basically view his being put to death as a public spectacle."

For critics of the president, the message of Moussaoui fighting for his life is that the Bush administration is paying no heed to international sensibilities against executions. To Americans, the prospect of Moussaoui as martyr or as a recruiting tool for al-Qaida means little.

"World opinion doesn't even weigh in on the scale," said Stephen Hess, a presidential scholar and political analyst at the Brookings Institution. "There is simply no way that public opinion in the U.S. would not overwhelmingly be for giving whatever the most severe penalty is. The rest of the world will go along on its separate track. It is not negotiable."

Despite admitting to six felonies, Moussaoui still can keep fighting in federal court, giving him an international stage.

Legal experts say he can highlight what he regards as the unfairness of it all, including his inability to call Sept. 11 planners as witnesses on his behalf in the proceeding that will determine whether he lives or dies.

He says the those planners would testify that he was not involved in Sept. 11. The issue barring his access to these witnesses was already decided before the planned criminal trial, which now will not take place.

"The whole world will be watching this penalty phase and it will be troubling to the judge that Moussaoui has no access to the al-Qaida detainees who might be able to help him," said Peter Margulies, a law professor at Roger Williams University in Providence, R.I.

Moussaoui can use only written summaries of interviews with those witnesses.

While admitting he was part of a conspiracy, Moussaoui can argue that his role sets him apart from others on Sept. 11. He did not hijack the planes and he did not direct the suicide crews.

"Everything about this case is different, it's a crime unlike any other in very significant ways and Moussaoui's involvement is different from any other death penalty case: He didn't kill anyone," former federal prosecutor Pete White said.

Nickdfresh
04-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Sunday, April 24, 2005

MrsSADDVIBE., you are beyond pathethic, FORD will love you spamming his forum!

Remember Douchebag Den?

Nickdfresh
04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Keep 'em coming Mrs.MADDanalVIBEbrator! :D;)

Do you like pandas and Frank Zappa too pussyboy?

Wait. Frank Zappa is a LIBERAL! Much like Roger Waters! Ban THEM FROM AMERICA!

You're such a little girl!:D

Goodbye ASSVIBE, and have a nice day.;)

DrMaddVibe
04-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
MrsSADDVIBE., you are beyond pathethic, FORD will love you spamming his forum!

Remember Douchebag Den?

This is Ford's forum?

He's a mod here, but its not his forum.

Den? Never heard of him...one of your boyfriends I suppose.

BigBadBrian
04-25-2005, 03:30 PM
FORD will love you spamming his forum!

Since when did it become "Ford's Forum" Nick? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

FORD
04-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Since when did it become "Ford's Forum" Nick? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

I am to the Front Line as David Lee Roth is to Van HALEN :cool:

I won't insult Doc & Elvis by comparing them to the Van Heineken sisters though.

Nickdfresh
04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
This is Ford's forum?

He's a mod here, but its not his forum.

Den? Never heard of him...one of your boyfriends I suppose.

Denny ASSVIBE! And Spamming is a no no!

Fucking Toyota Prius sales figures:D?

And he's not my boyfriend for the following reasons:

1.) I am not attracted to men.

2.) I am not attracted to smelly Dutchmen that would leech off the me!

LoungeMachine
04-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Pretty funny considering your avatar.:rolleyes:

Still bitter he changed your threads ?

poor baby.

Considering ELVIS has entered the Witness Protection Program, and FORD is the Voice of Reason in here, yeah, I'd call it "his"

Obviously aint your's:D

LoungeMachine
04-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Which would make Brie the friend of the friend of the roadie's cousin:cool:

Nickdfresh
04-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Ooof! Fuck! Wrong thread!:D

Guitar Shark
04-25-2005, 06:46 PM

Wow, I had no idea you quit to become a movie star. Good luck with that. ;)

Nickdfresh
04-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Still the wrong thread! Four hours sleep sucks!:o

Nickdfresh
04-25-2005, 06:53 PM

I won't insult Doc & Elvis by comparing them to the Van Heineken sisters though.

Well they haven't been doing much lately!;)

DrMaddVibe
04-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Denny ASSVIBE! And Spamming is a no no!

Create your own board and you can enforce your own rules.

Fucking Toyota Prius sales figures:D?

?????

And he's not my boyfriend for the following reasons:

1.) I am not attracted to men.

2.) I am not attracted to smelly Dutchmen that would leech off the me!

Why do you believe anyone wants to know your personal life?

DrMaddVibe
04-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Well they haven't been doing much lately!;)

In comparison to your frothing and attempted berating...I guess not!

I don't take being compared to Eddie Van Halen as a slam. I wish I could play a six-string like him. Sure as hell wouldn't have turned the once mighty band into a train wreck!

Nickdfresh
04-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Create your own board and you can enforce your own rules.

?????

Why do you believe anyone wants to know your personal life?

Oh c'mon ASSVIBE, you want to know me! You keep posting to me.;)

And the rules have been enforced here before, ala Joe Thunder, Katydid, Diamond Den/Denny.

Try not to make the FRONTLINE suffer for your hatred for me!;)

Nickdfresh
04-25-2005, 07:43 PM
In comparison to your frothing and attempted berating...I guess not!

I don't take being compared to Eddie Van Halen as a slam. I wish I could play a six-string like him. Sure as hell wouldn't have turned the once mighty band into a train wreck!

Or do you paly bass like Michael Anthony?:D