PDA

View Full Version : The most famous Rock guitar in History ?

Panamark
04-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Is it Elvis's first acoustic ?
Is it Ed's Frankenstrat ?
Is it BB King's Lucille ?
Its it Eric Claptons Strat ??

Jimi Hendrix's upsidedown strat ??

Whats some deserving contenders for the most famous guitar ever !

nosuchluck
04-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Lucille, Blackie and the Frankie are certainly up there..

add to that Randy Rhoads' flying V and Stevie Ray Vaughan's strat.

Vinnie Velvet
04-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Ace Frehley's smoking guitars were pretty famous, not to mention his "light-up' Les Paul from Dynasty.

Jérôme Frenchise
04-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

Ed's Frankenstrat
Jimi Hendrix's upsidedown strat

Yeah!
And Pete Townshend's (and then Angus's) SG.
Jimmy Page's double-necked guitar.
Keith Richards's 5-string axes.

Hardrock69
04-25-2005, 11:49 AM
There are two of them. None even come close.

Both were owned by Jimi Hendrix:

1. The infamous Strat that was burned at the Monterey Pop Festival. Only pieces of it still exist, and here is a link to a page for the museum in Seattle founded by Paul Allen (co-founder of Microsoft):

http://www.emplive.org/archives/index.asp?a=&section=show&id=123&pg=1&artid=31

There was an article in Guitar World in the 90s concerning this guitar. They had managed to locate all the major pieces from the body, and they had done a detailed study of frames from the film of Jimi's set, and he handed the neck of the guitar to some chick in the front row...but nobody has ever been able to figure out who she was, and the whereabouts of the neck remain a mystery...

Hardrock69
04-25-2005, 11:54 AM
2. The Woodstock Strat - it is on display at the EMP museum in Seattle.... here is the history of it:

Jimi Hendrix Woodstock Strat®

Woodstock

Probably the most famous Stratocaster® of all time is Jimi Hendrix's 1968 Strat®. On 18th August 1969, Hendrix and his "Band of Gypsies" were the final act to come on to the stage at the Woodstock Festival in Bethel, New York. Most of the 400,000+ people who flocked to the festival had already packed up and began their journey home. But on a rainy Monday morning, the crowd of around 30,000 that remained witnessed the most remarkable performance in rock history.

It was here that Hendrix played his infamous version of the American national anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner, signifying the close of the sixties and Hendrix's distaste in the U.S involvement in Vietnam.

Specs

The guitar used on this momentous occasion was a white Fender Stratocaster®, made in 1968, serial number 240981. As with all of his other Strats, this one was right-handed, flipped over and re-strung to accommodate his lefty technique. This historic axe had an alder body, maple neck and fretboard, Olympic White finish, late 60's-style large headstock, and tremolo.

Under the Hammer

The guitar was sold at Sotheby's auction house in London in 1990 for £174,000 (295,800 Euros). The guitar was resold in 1993 for £750,000 (1,275,000 Euros) to an Italian collector and disc jockey called Red Penny.

A few years later, Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen discovered the whereabouts of the guitar and made the Italian an offer that he couldn't refuse! Red Penny accepted, and Jody Patton, Allen's sister and EMP executive director, flew to Italy to fetch it. She bought first-class seats for herself and the guitar for the return flight.

The guitar is now owned by Paul Allen who placed it as the central exhibition in Seattle's Experience Music Project, a huge state-of-the-art museum of rock memorabilia.

http://www.efst.hr/aiesec/big/woodstock_strat.jpg

Hardrock69
04-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Here is a 1965 Strat owned by Hendrix that is currently for sale:

http://www.maverick-music.com/scripts/vintage-guitars.asp?idproduct=765

eddieisking
04-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
2. The Woodstock Strat - it is on display at the EMP museum in Seattle.... here is the history of it:

Jimi Hendrix Woodstock Strat®

Woodstock

Probably the most famous Stratocaster® of all time is Jimi Hendrix's 1968 Strat®. On 18th August 1969, Hendrix and his "Band of Gypsies" were the final act to come on to the stage at the Woodstock Festival in Bethel, New York. Most of the 400,000+ people who flocked to the festival had already packed up and began their journey home. But on a rainy Monday morning, the crowd of around 30,000 that remained witnessed the most remarkable performance in rock history.

It was here that Hendrix played his infamous version of the American national anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner, signifying the close of the sixties and Hendrix's distaste in the U.S involvement in Vietnam.

Specs

The guitar used on this momentous occasion was a white Fender Stratocaster®, made in 1968, serial number 240981. As with all of his other Strats, this one was right-handed, flipped over and re-strung to accommodate his lefty technique. This historic axe had an alder body, maple neck and fretboard, Olympic White finish, late 60's-style large headstock, and tremolo.

Under the Hammer

The guitar was sold at Sotheby's auction house in London in 1990 for £174,000 (295,800 Euros). The guitar was resold in 1993 for £750,000 (1,275,000 Euros) to an Italian collector and disc jockey called Red Penny.

A few years later, Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen discovered the whereabouts of the guitar and made the Italian an offer that he couldn't refuse! Red Penny accepted, and Jody Patton, Allen's sister and EMP executive director, flew to Italy to fetch it. She bought first-class seats for herself and the guitar for the return flight.

The guitar is now owned by Paul Allen who placed it as the central exhibition in Seattle's Experience Music Project, a huge state-of-the-art museum of rock memorabilia.

http://www.efst.hr/aiesec/big/woodstock_strat.jpg

Only ONE thing you forgot to mention here, was in a back issue of "Guitar World" magazine, May 2005, was a list of the most expensive guitars in the world.
The number one most expensive guitar in the world, right now, is Jimi's 'Woodstock' strat, listed at $5,000,000....

Ed' Frankenstrat was #5, priced from $1,000,000 to Priceless
Clapton's "Blackie" was listed at $1,000,000 plus
Brian May's Red Special listed at $500,000 plus

academic punk
04-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Didn't Dweezil Zappa own Jimi's Woodstock Strat? I'm sure of it.

BTW - more famous than any of these is Ed's FrankenStrat. Instantly identifiable, and it makes a bold individual unique statement from the moment you see it. You're telling me you could recognize Clapton's Blackie from any other Strat in a heartbeat???

Hardrock69
04-25-2005, 04:20 PM
No. Dweezil inherited a Strat from his Dad that was played AND burned by Jimi Hendrix at the Miami Pop Festival, where Frank Zappa was on the bill also.

Jimi gave his Woodstock Strat to his drummer, Mitch Mitchell, who auctioned it off in the early 90s. See the link above for the exact history of the guitar.

And it does not matter whether I could rcognize it or not.
Ed's Frankenstrat is down the list compared to the above axes owned by Hendrix and Clapton. Note that I am not saying Ed's guitar is not a famous guitar. Just the others are WAY more famouser.

;)

monkeythe
04-25-2005, 04:25 PM
While not necessarily a "rock" guitar, Willie Nelson's guitar with the hole in it is the most recognizable guitar still in use today. Some of the other guitars mentioned there are several versions of compared to this one in a kind classic.

Mr Badguy
04-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Gene Simmons` axe bass

Steve Vai`s love heart shaped triple neck

Geddy Lee`s double neck Rickenbacker

academic punk
04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
No. Dweezil inherited a Strat from his Dad that was played AND burned by Jimi Hendrix at the Miami Pop Festival, where Frank Zappa was on the bill also.

Jimi gave his Woodstock Strat to his drummer, Mitch Mitchell, who auctioned it off in the early 90s. See the link above for the exact history of the guitar.

And it does not matter whether I could rcognize it or not.
Ed's Frankenstrat is down the list compared to the above axes owned by Hendrix and Clapton. Note that I am not saying Ed's guitar is not a famous guitar. Just the others are WAY more famouser.

;)

I follow you. But the title of the thread is "Most famous", not "most expensive".

Clapton's guitar is famous b/c he played it. Ed's guitar is famous not only b/c he played it, but b/c it was a "new" approach to the visualization of the guitar.

Let's put it like this: would your 14 year old kid sister be able to distinguish clepton's blackie from any other black-finish strat?

BTW, Thanks for the corrections re: dweezil!

Cato
04-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Rickenbacker 325 Jetglo.

everybody knows whose guitar this is.

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~music-b/pics/guiter/big/nov/rickenbacker325-4.jpg

Cato
04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
also my Fender pawnshop '54 strat is famous as well, isn't it?

Terry
04-25-2005, 09:59 PM
David Gilmour has the Strat that has the 00001 serial number on it, even though it wasn't the first Strat ever made.

Yeah, was pretty astonished at some of those axes and what they were worth when I read that Guitar World Jimmy Page/Physical Graffiti issue, 'specially Hendrix's Woodstock Strat. If I had the wherewithall, I'd buy Hendrix's strat, or Page's Gibson Doubleneck, but not to keep 'em in some air-conditioned glass case. I'd want to PLAY those fuckers!!

Always thought EVH's Frankie was the coolest-looking, anyway. That and Brian May's axe were the most distinctive.

rustoffa
04-25-2005, 10:56 PM
What about Bo Diddley's square thing he made out of a birdhouse?

Who can forget Nielsen's guitar of himself?

Personally, Ed's striped-up deal is the paragon of identifiability.

6 is 9
04-25-2005, 11:06 PM
what about Paul McCartney's violin bass.

http://im.edirectory.co.uk/products/1633/i/gbvrvb2ai.jpg

DrMaddVibe
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
#1!

She's my pride and joy!

Hardrock69
04-26-2005, 12:46 AM
I was not talking about the most expensive guitars either.

Clapton's Blackieis a VERY famous guitar. BUt Hendrix's Woodstock Strat is THE single most famous guitar.

Why do ya think it is worth more than all of the others?
:)

Hardrock69
04-26-2005, 12:48 AM
I was not talking about the most expensive guitars either.

Clapton's Blackie is a VERY famous guitar. But Hendrix's Woodstock Strat is THE single most famous guitar.
It is not just a guitar, and it is not just a piece of Rock History, it is a piece of HISTORY.

Hendrix playing The Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock is the single defining moment of the 60s and reflected completely the cultural changes going on as well as the attitudes of everyone about the Vietnam Police Action.

That Strat should be enshrined in the Smithsonian Institution.
:)

nosuchluck
04-26-2005, 01:05 PM
also Brian May's guitar.

Soul Reaper
04-26-2005, 01:17 PM
this is the most famous rock guitar in history, no contest

Soul Reaper
04-26-2005, 01:18 PM
it is also the most expensive.

about over 1 million pounds.

i don't know how many dollars is 1 million pounds

Mr Grimsdale
04-26-2005, 03:02 PM
a lot

DrMaddVibe
04-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
it is also the most expensive.

about over 1 million pounds.

i don't know how many dollars is 1 million pounds

1,000,000.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 1,905,800.91 USD
United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.90580 USD 1 USD = 0.524714 GBP

Shaun Ponsonby
04-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Most famous?

Brian May's "Red Special", surely.

Hardrock69
04-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Only one thing bugs me more than wishing for CVH to do a tour (and survive it), and that is I wish to fuck that Jimi Hendrix had not died.

Sure, there are many others I say that about, but especially Hendrix.

He revolutionized the art of rock guitar playing.

IF he were still alive, he would now only be about 62 or so...goddammit....we got cheated out of 35 fucking years of new Hendrix music and touring....:mad:

Thank the Muses for the bootleg community...without which I would never have gotten ANYTHING during the 80s and 90s when new Hendrix stuff was coming out officially at a snails pace...

SammySucks1984
04-27-2005, 12:14 AM
id have to say that it is either blackie claptons stratocaster or jimi's upside down strat

s.o.s.r
04-27-2005, 12:27 AM
for me the baddest guitar i've ever seen is jimmy page's double-neck -him ripping out 'stairway' on the 'song remains the same' dvd, man. rock. and. roll. as far as instantly recognisable axes go, zach wylde's les paul with the hypno design surely has to be mentioned. and i was never a big nirvana fan but how about kurt's jag-stang?

mwsully
04-27-2005, 12:44 AM
Jimi's guitar, hands down, and then Paul's bass.

matt19
04-27-2005, 10:31 PM
you gotta mention the Rhoads V's those sell just as much as strats and gibsons... and there wouldnt be any of those distinct models offset V's with out Randy being innovative

Panamark
04-28-2005, 05:45 AM
On a tangent, who was the first Rock star associated with a Fender strat ??? Im guessing Buddy Holly... Anyone earlier ???
(Rock, not Jazz or Blues)

Matt White
04-28-2005, 11:58 AM
The FRANKENSTRAT

Soul Reaper
04-28-2005, 03:28 PM
i know the guitar that people least care about!

fe_lung
04-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Let's not forget Angus Young's SG

tydhurst
04-28-2005, 10:13 PM
I reckon it's Macca's bass, my friend recognised him from a recent picture when he saw the bass, he didn't know who the old guy holding Macca's bass was though. He hasn't aged well

Panamark
04-29-2005, 01:00 AM
If he fixed his teeth, he wouldnt look as bad.
I think he looks his age.
He stayed young looking for a long time.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Oh, that's not fair, he is in his 60s now.

Panamark
04-30-2005, 02:59 AM
Does he still smoke ?

Soul Reaper
04-30-2005, 06:22 AM
jimmy page's les paul is worth about $1,800,000