PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone besides me find Bono annoying?

Nitro Express
04-25-2005, 09:15 PM
U2 caught my eye years ago when their New Years Day video was getting play on the old MTV in the 80's. I liked the band.

I still like The Edge and think he never got too caught up in his fame, I always liked Adam Clayton for some reason. The drummer seemed to be a normal bloak.

Bono to me seemed to get more and more annoying. I appreciated his fire of the early days. He was cool at Red Rocks. He certainly knows how to play off an audience. He's good at what he does but in the last decade, the guy has just gotten more and more annoying.

Now when I see Bono I just go "Oh shit." and turn the channel. It's not that he has done anything that offended me but I'm tired of him.

DLR7884
04-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Sorry, gotta move this fucker....

DLR7884
To NON.

DLR7884
04-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Ah fuck it....

DLR7884
HOUSE OF MUSIC.

Terry
04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
U2's always been a fine band in my book. War was and is a great album, as is the Joshua Tree and Achtung, Baby.

Some point around 1987, Bono just let his fame go to his head. Not so much the slant of his politics that bothers me, but that smug attitude of his along with a bunch of truly half-baked philisophical mutterings of his and a definite overblown sense of self-importance.

He seems to think U2 has some great, worldwide relevance, rather than just being content with fronting a good, solid rock and roll band. I mean, I see the guy on C-Span and giving commencement speeches at universities...and what comes out of Bono's mouth just doesn't pass for any kind of political or social epiphany in my book.

Just a little too earnest for me. When he was prattling on about aprtheid or strife in Central America, or even Ireland...kind of have the same reaction I did when Madonna was going on about Kaballah; you're a pop star, sing your tunes and keep your politics and religious beliefs to yourself.

Jérôme Frenchise
04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
U2 caught my eye years ago when their New Years Day video was getting play on the old MTV in the 80's. I liked the band.

I still like The Edge and think he never got too caught up in his fame, I always liked Adam Clayton for some reason. The drummer seemed to be a normal bloak.

Bono to me seemed to get more and more annoying. I appreciated his fire of the early days. He was cool at Red Rocks. He certainly knows how to play off an audience. He's good at what he does but in the last decade, the guy has just gotten more and more annoying.

Now when I see Bono I just go "Oh shit." and turn the channel. It's not that he has done anything that offended me but I'm tired of him.

I see. I simply can't bear whatever U2 did after "Rattle & hum", which I still dig today. Too bad they spoilt their music by recording empty, worthless, undefined songs. JMO

larbo
04-25-2005, 10:38 PM
I agree with jerome frenchise. rattle and hum is as far as they could go creatively. bono is a whiny bitch that needs to go back to k-mart and shut the fuck up. he thinks he is some kind of world leader and dabbles too much into polotics for me.

Redballjets88
04-25-2005, 10:42 PM
i think u2 is alright but people bill them like rock n roll gods unfairly its not like they really did anything spectacular they just know how to convey a message very well

FORD
04-26-2005, 02:31 AM
A bunch of whiny asses who think Poison & Winger actually contributed something to the world are bitching about the greatest rock band of the last 25 years.

Unbelievable :rolleyes:

And yes, U2 is a better band than Van Halen. Why? Because they're still together. And with the possible exception of POP, they never ceased to be themselves.

As for Bono's committment to his various political causes, the man walks his talk and doesn't do it out of trendiness, or to look cool. If you don't respect that, then go watch FAUX News and continue being brainwashed.

Bill Lumbergh
04-26-2005, 02:48 AM
I've never had any use for U2.........pop garbage(and maybe the worst rhythm section of ANY major band).

monkeythe
04-26-2005, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by FORD
And yes, U2 is a better band than Van Halen. Why? Because they're still together.

If being together makes a band better than Van Halen then according to that logic Van Hagar was better than CVH last summer.

As for Bono's committment to his various political causes, the man walks his talk and doesn't do it out of trendiness, or to look cool. If you don't respect that, then go watch FAUX News and continue being brainwashed.

I take it you didn't see Bono on the O'Reilly factor then.

Panamark
04-26-2005, 03:26 AM
I want to know how being a POP star gives you some unwritten rights
to influence government decisions. Or even to be taken seriously
by a government ? For fuck sakes, Bono is a short little Irishman that
has a half reasonable voice.. He is a singer in a band. How does that
qualify you as some expert on world affairs ??

Stillwell
04-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Does anyone besides me find Bono annoying?

Why yes. Yes I do.

Where are the Black and Tans when you REALLY need them?!

kentuckyklira
04-26-2005, 07:30 AM
U2 are, were and will probably always be annoying, especially Bono!

Roguesgirl
04-26-2005, 08:10 AM
I liked U2 way back like 20+ years ago. Boy and War are fine albums. They had a unique sound and cool lyrics and Bono's voice was something different.

Its gotten tired, IMO.

ThrillsNSpills
04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
I think the edge uses his damn delay too much.
I dont care for the jingly sound.

I like the song they did for the Batman soundtrack only because the guitar parts remind me of Jimmy Page.

Isn't Bono the guy who hit a tree?

Terry
04-26-2005, 10:34 AM
A bunch of whiny asses who think Poison & Winger actually contributed something to the world are bitching about the greatest rock band of the last 25 years.

And yes, U2 is a better band than Van Halen. Why? Because they're still together. And with the possible exception of POP, they never ceased to be themselves.

Prefer U2 to Poison and Winger any day of the week. Always have.

Can't be bothered with "this band is better than that band". Fruitless. Don't really think U2 and Van Halen, even within rock music, have styles that lend themselves to comparisons.

Isn't the fact that Bono contributes to social and political causes, has more to do with him advertising it. Besides, it's not like he's really made any bold moves in terms of the social and political causes he supports, anyway. Not like a majority of people thought apartheid, terrorist bombings in N.Ireland and mass genocide in Sarajevo were GOOD things. Doesn't take a lot of courage to stand up in front of a crowd and say "I'm against what I know most of you are, too."

Gotta go. Hannity and Colmes is coming on.

pete
04-26-2005, 11:07 AM

Spot on.

pete
04-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Doesn't take a lot of courage to stand up in front of a crowd and say "I'm against what I know most of you are, too."

Gotta go. Hannity and Colmes is coming on.

I have to disagree. 6,000 people die every day in Africa. That's more than died in the WTC-09/11. this happens on a daily basis. It's an emergency of holocaust proportions and if it weren't for Bono, you would not even know it.

But hey, hate the guy. Just create a real reason.

bueno bob
04-26-2005, 11:43 AM
I just don't like U2's music. Always found it overrated.

mewisemagic
04-26-2005, 02:06 PM
very overrated!and yes bono irritates the shit out of me,i like calling him bozo!

Terry
04-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by pete
I have to disagree. 6,000 people die every day in Africa. That's more than died in the WTC-09/11. this happens on a daily basis. It's an emergency of holocaust proportions and if it weren't for Bono, you would not even know it.

But hey, hate the guy. Just create a real reason.

Yeah, you're right. If it weren't for St. Bono talking about these things, nobody would be aware of them....oh, BTW, give me a fuckin' break!

Full Bug
04-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I've never had any use for U2.........pop garbage(and maybe the worst rhythm section of ANY major band).
I agree 110%....

Full Bug
04-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
I want to know how being a POP star gives you some unwritten rights
to influence government decisions. Or even to be taken seriously
by a government ? How does that qualify you as some expert on world affairs ??
Damm right, if he ran for office it would be a different story....

pete
04-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Yeah, you're right. If it weren't for St. Bono talking about these things, nobody would be aware of them....oh, BTW, give me a fuckin' break!

It's a fact - Now go watch your childhood heroes selling their asses to the highest bidder on reality TV shows.

"Every Rose Has It's Thorn"

Roguesgirl
04-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Yes. Kudos to U2 for staying together as a band. :cool:

Terry
04-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by pete
It's a fact - Now go watch your childhood heroes selling their asses to the highest bidder on reality TV shows.

"Every Rose Has It's Thorn"

Lame

s.o.s.r
04-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
I think the edge uses his damn delay too much.
I dont care for the jingly sound.

I like the song they did for the Batman soundtrack only because the guitar parts remind me of Jimmy Page.

Isn't Bono the guy who hit a tree?

:D marc bolan of t-rex wrapped his mini round a tree, is that who you mean buddy?

for me bono's become tv stalker, man i live in england and the fucker is on all the time. he rocks up at labour party conferences, meetings with the pope, he's been whinging since we went decimal. he's been on a couple band-aid singles, obviously listens to a lot of bob geldof's rants and lives in a fucking huge castle type thing outside of dublin next to enya and chris de burgh. i don't mind folks using their fame to get a message across, especially a worthy one, but does he have to be so friggin self-righteous about it?

SammySucks1984
04-27-2005, 12:16 AM
bono is the most annoying

Panamark
04-27-2005, 01:43 AM
Bono and Bob Geldof..

I mean I appreciate what Geldof did, in fact he has done a shitload
more than Bono likes to think he has, but I find Geldof annoying..
Anyone seen interviews with him ? He seems like a right prick.

And from an Aussie prospective, Peter Garret from Midnight Oil..
He really craps on..

Rikk
04-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
And from an Aussie prospective, Peter Garret from Midnight Oil..
He really craps on..

I think Garrett is an idiot because he quit the band to continue preaching the politics. Stupid.

rothdaddy
04-27-2005, 02:55 AM
Bono is a man that wants to help make the world a better place. I respect that. But I don't know how the fuck his band got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before Van Halen? Van Halen with David Lee Roth was a fucking powerhouse rock and roll band. U2 is decent and is very pop driven like Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. U2 is a good band, but thier music in my opinion just doesn't flat out rock. There music is along the lines of Wings and Journey...pop ballads.

Panamark
04-29-2005, 02:05 AM
Bono should just let his music make the world a better place.

*OR* as Fullbug said, run for office and make it legit..
Instead of whining and thinking that being a millionaire popstar
gives you some kind of political rights ??

I HATE musicians when they get all political.. Fucks them up for
good.

Dirty Duck
11-17-2005, 03:37 PM
YES I think Bono is very annoying and he is NO fucking rock god. U2 really was a good band back in the day..but now? I cannot believe how many records these guys sell. Is the public that blind to what good music is?

SNIPER
11-17-2005, 03:42 PM
I have tickets to see U2 in SLC 12/17. i am not very happy about it either. My wife bought the tix back in Jan for $400 a piece, stupid bitch! I also cant tell you how bad I hate SLC! fUCKIN DIRTY MORMAN PIGS!! I will have to make sure I have some good drugs for this trip.

FORD
11-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by rothdaddy
Bono is a man that wants to help make the world a better place. I respect that. But I don't know how the fuck his band got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before Van Halen?

That's an easy one. U2 is still selling millions of albums and packing arenas with the same lineup since 1977.

"Van Halen", unfortunately, has been in decline since 1986, and basically the butt of jokes since October 2, 1996.

A reunion of the real Van Halen in 1996 or 2000 would have guaranteed an induction in 2003, their first year of eligibility. But the further soap opera of the "Sam & Dave" tour - with Sammy bitching the entire time, and finally the Van Hagar 2004 fiasco cemented their status as a JOKE. It's hard to face, but it's the reality. And at this point, I'm not sure if even a reunion of the real band would save their reputation.

Blame it on Sammy. Blame it on Eddie. Blame it on Ray Danniels or Ed Leffler. Even blame David Lee Roth if you want. But it ain't U2's fault. They did right by their fans and themselves, and deserve the induction.

BITEYOASS
11-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Bono is an activist whore!

BITEYOASS
11-17-2005, 05:19 PM
I'll donate to an AIDS or African charity if he just promises to shut the fuck up! :D

Mr. Vengeance
11-17-2005, 05:24 PM
U2 sucks the big cock! Always have and always will. Whiney lyrics, pussy music that sounded the same for the first 4 albums! A dick as a frontman who whines about everything on the planet!! WHO NEEDS IT?

Here's the epitome of what a fake Bono is: During concerts in the 80's the big dick would go out on stage with his oh-so-symbolic white flag. He eventually, EVERY SHOW, would throw the flag into the crowd. Now...what the fuck will the crowd do? THEY FIGHT OVER IT! This gives Mr. Humanitarian a chance to scream from the stage, "Hey...stop fighting over that! There's too much fighting in the world already!!!" All to huge applause and then the inevitable writeup in the papers the next day. Fucking phoney! If you are sincere, you don't need to do this to get cheap applause! It's not the same as a band going on stage and saying, "We love you (insert city here)"..this is Blow-no trying to come across as a humanitarian and it's so contrived.

U2 blows!

m_dixon1984
11-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Fuck Bono. Fuck him in his stupid ASS!

He has the nerve to try and influence the last Canadian election. Canada?? What are we, some third world country who treats its people unfairly (Ok, we're not perfect but what country is). Bono should keep his big mouth shut except for when he's paid to do otherwise. That or change profession. Try actually putting into practice what he preaches. He just might find it's not as easy as he makes it sound.
M

Dirty Duck
11-17-2005, 06:02 PM
As always Mr. Vengeance..you hit the nail right on the fuckin head. Fuck Bono..fuck Vedder..fuck any frontman that thinks his music is going to change the world overnight. We have enough bullshit to deal with in everyday life! You think I want to go out and buy a cd that reminds me of this in every song? Fuck that...I want a band that is going to come out with guns blazin' ready to Rock! Not a bunch of sissy's who cant deal with the fact that they are millionares so they talk about how much stardom sucks etc. Whatever....

HELLVIS
11-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I think everyone should take a pause, a moment of silence if you will. Reflect on the message, not the messenger. Just remember, we just be stupid common folkses who need big smart rock stars to tell us that people are gittin rapped and killded and starvded to def. Damn, if it wasn't for BONO I might think the world was a wunderfull place full of flowers and sausages.

thome
11-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I guess some people think a guy gripeing and crying about
political issues that have already been raised and championed
by some one else, then attempting to take credit for saveing the
world from behind big shades ( so his crack eyes don't show).
That that makes him a Humanitarian ??

Bono is dupeing the public like Rappers who are -Down with their Peeps-yaeh rite!
In a mansion in beverly hills behind 10 ft walls to keep out the trash
the honor in thier songs.

Idiots!

Hey look' I'm the Edge. I can make chicken scrathes on my Gitar sound
like a bell for- twenty album-s lame, lame, lame.

Bono is like- to me -a dirty little secret.
Like if you found out the pope dealt drugs -dirty-.

Mr. Vengeance
11-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by thome

Hey look' I'm the Edge. I can make chicken scrathes on my Gitar sound
like a bell for- twenty album-s lame, lame, lame.

Thome, that is the best description of U2's music I ever heard, and I'm so glad someone else hears the same shit I do!

Hoongood
11-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Hell yes!
I fucking hate him and his lame, boring band.