PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars:Episode III Get's Thumbs Up!

Warham
04-27-2005, 10:18 AM
http://viewaskew.com/theboard/viewtopic.php?t=32494

You've been warned...

- "Revenge of the Sith" is, quite simply, fucking awesome. This is the "Star Wars" prequel the haters have been bitching for since "Menace" came out, and if they don't cop to that when they finally see it, they're lying. As dark as "Empire" was, this movie goes a thousand times darker - from the triggering of Order 66 (which has all the Shock Troopers turning on the Jedi Knights they've been fighting beside throughout the Clone Wars and gunning them down), to the jaw-dropping Anakin/Obi Wan fight on Mustafar (where - after cutting his legs and arm off, Ben leaves Skywalker burning alive on the shores of a lava river, with Anakin spitting venomous sentiments at his departing mentor), this flick is so satisfyingly tragic, you'll think you're watching "Othello" or "Hamlet".

I saw a gorgeous digitally projected version of the flick, and lemme tell ya': this is a beautiful looking film. The opening space battle sequence is the best in any of the six "Star Wars" movies. Grievous and Kenobi's lightsaber duel is bad-ass, with Grievous rocking four sabers. The Clone Wars end rather early in the flick (about the halfway point), leaving the rest of the film to concentrate on Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, and the resulting slaughter of the Jedi.

Perfect example of how dark shit gets: remember the Younglings - the kid Jedis in training from "Clones"? As a result of Order 66, when Anakin invades the Jedi Temple with an army of Clone Troopers, he enters the Council room to find a gaggle of said younglings hiding behind the seats. They see Anakin and emerge, asking "What should we do, Master Anakin?" The query's met with a stone-cold Anakin firing up his lightsaber. The next time you see the kids, Yoda's sifting through their corpses on the floor.

Yes, it's just that dark - and rightfully so. This is the birth of Darth Vader we're talking about. The only comic moments in the flick are given to R2D2, and while good, they're all pretty few and far between; the order of the day is dark, dark, dark.

Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor steal the show, but Hayden Christensen silences any naysayers who wrote him off as too whiney in "Clones". This is the flick that feels closest to Episodes 4, 5, and 6, because - for the first time since "Return of the Jedi" - there is a clear villain. And for all the shadow-play Palpatine has been upto in the last two flicks, his treachery is about as subtle as John Williams' score in "Sith." Whether he's slowly drawing Anakin toward the Dark Side during an opera/performance art piece with his promise of the Sith's power of life over death, or he's engaged in a balls-to-the-wall lightsaber duel in the Senate with Yoda, his "Little, green friend" (his words, not mine - which I kinda dug, because, interestingly, I think it's the first time anyone's acknowledged that Yoda is green in any of the "Star Wars" flicks), this is the Emperor's movie.

The last fifteen minutes dovetail nicely into Episode 4 (or just plain "Star Wars" for you non-geeks), and the movie is full of link-up moments as well.

- At flick's end, Threepio and Artoo are given to Captain Antilles (with the caveat that the Protocol's memory be wiped).

- The twins, natch, are split up. Leia heads to Alderann with Bail Organa, and Obi Wan hands Luke over to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (indeed, the closing shot is Owen holding Luke while looking out over the setting suns of Tatooine - mimicking the shot of the adult Luke doing the same in "Star Wars", complete with callback cue from Williams).

- After he succumbs to the Dark Side, Anakin tries to convine Padme that he can overthrow Palpatine, and together, he and Padme can rule the galaxy as husband and wife.

- Vader and the Emperor stand beside a younger Grand Moff Tarkin on the bridge of a Star Destroyer, overlooking the earliest construction stage of the Death Star.

- Yoda telling Obi Wan that, as he heads to Tatooine to hand over Luke and go into exile, that he should spend his time learning to commune with those who've crossed over to the next stage of life, as Yoda maintains he's been doing with Qui Gon (and Ben will later do with both Luke and Yoda, in "Empire" and "Jedi").

- And, hands-down, the best link-up to "Star Wars" moment that I enjoyed the most: Bail Organa and Yoda stepping into the hallway of the Rebel Blockade Runner that opened "Star Wars". Unlike all the high-tech CGI wizardry of the rest of the prequel Trilogy, this is a low-tech looking set, right out of circa '77, and for some reason, it really captured my imagination. I mean, this is the same exact hallway in which we got our first look at Vader, oh so many years ago, and I appreciated the hell out of Mr. Lucas including it - because it really felt like a nod to the hardcores.

Look, this is a movie I was genetically predisposed to love. I remember being eight years old, and reading in "Starlog" that Darth Vader became the half-man/half-machine he was following a duel with Ben Kenobi that climaxed with Vader falling into molten lava. Now, twenty six years later, I finally got to see that long-promised battled - and it lived up to any expectation I still held. I was sad to see the flick end, but happy to know it's not the end of the "Star Wars" universe entirely (I've read stuff about a TV show...).

"Sith" doesn't happen; "Sith" rules.

vanzilla
04-27-2005, 10:27 AM
- At flick's end, Threepio and Artoo are given to Captain Antilles (with the caveat that the Protocol's memory be wiped).

I'm glad they addressed this. That was bothering me since Episode 1.

It sounds like they were able to tie everything together, which was my main concern after seeing 1 and 2.

bueno bob
04-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Aces.

I TOLD you guys it was gonna kick ass.

:)

Vinnie Velvet
04-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Yes, it WILL KICK ASS!

Revenge of the Sith BABY!!!

Soul Reaper
04-27-2005, 02:01 PM
The force is strong, master

I can't wait to see this film.

I know it will be better than Episode II.

WACF
04-27-2005, 02:57 PM
It is going to be deadly!

Three Lock Rock
04-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Star Wars is for faggots, just like David Lee Roth is for faggots.

Go out and get the long road to Cabo and watch that instead and maybe you'll actually get some pussy for a change.

Vinnie Velvet
04-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Three Lock Rock
I love faggots, just like Sammy Hagar loves faggots.

I better get out on the long road to Cabo so I can get me some DICK!

Three Lock Rock
04-27-2005, 03:11 PM

Go out and get the long road to Cabo and watch that instead and maybe you'll actually get some pussy for a change.

nice try!

davids gay, just look at him!

star wars is for fuckin kids, grow up.

DrMaddVibe
04-27-2005, 03:32 PM
WTF...He doesn't kill Jar-Jar Binks?

Dat movie be okie-dokey but doan have gud scenes likey me want!

Vinnie Velvet
04-27-2005, 04:05 PM
nice try!

And you think listening to some fat guy dressed up as Ronald MacDonald is cool??? And that can get you laid?

FUCK YOU THREE COCK!!

Now I want you to do something---put on your favorite Sam or Van hagar tune, call about 10 of your closest gay friends and let them fuck you all night to the tune of "Dreams" or how about "Feels So Good".

Get a life bitch!

And keep fucking yourself with that bottle of Cabo Wabo while your at it!

Vinnie Velvet
04-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
WTF...He doesn't kill Jar-Jar Binks?

Dat movie be okie-dokey but doan have gud scenes likey me want!

Jar Jar can only be seen at the end of the movie.

He doesn't say a word. No lines.

redblkwht
04-27-2005, 06:03 PM
nice try!

Sammy & Gary R Gay, they just
bought a house by my place
in Boston!
Sth--weeet.

Trix is for fuckin kids, grow up.

OK bro, correction TITS are for
men ;)
unlike you Gayree & Samee
luver..Dover..homo.

BrownSound1
04-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Sounds as though this one will finally live up to expectations. I can't wait to see Obi Wan stomp the hell out of Anakin.

bueno bob
04-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Sounds as though this one will finally live up to expectations. I can't wait to see Obi Wan stomp the hell out of Anakin.

I don't think Obi Wan is going to be doing much of the stomping - from what I've heard, the fight is almost 80% Anakin and Obi Wan just happens to capitalize on Anakin's misstep at the end. But...we'll see... :)

bueno bob
04-27-2005, 10:24 PM
nice try!

Dude, you know you're gonna be in line, too. Don't deny it. Admit that much, because everybody else on the planets gonna be there.

Nitro Express
04-28-2005, 03:16 AM
They should have had Anakin/Darth Vader forcing Jar Jar Binks to be analy raped by Sammy Hagar in the Emporer's prison. "Give us the information Jar Jar or we will bring Sammy back."

Vinnie Velvet
04-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I don't think Obi Wan is going to be doing much of the stomping - from what I've heard, the fight is almost 80% Anakin and Obi Wan just happens to capitalize on Anakin's misstep at the end. But...we'll see... :)

Ah yes, Vader was never great at watching where he was going.

(Luke duels with him to the point where he falls down from the carbon freezing platform, Luke kicks him down the flight of stairs in the Emperor's throne room---always a clutz that Vader is.:D )

Matt White
04-28-2005, 11:11 AM
nice try!

YOU WILL BURN IN THE 9TH RING OF HELL

Nitro Express
04-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Well gee, who could see out of that mask Vader had to wear. Actually he did quite well for having that thing on.

bueno bob
04-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Well gee, who could see out of that mask Vader had to wear. Actually he did quite well for having that thing on.

You gotta give Vader credit, he was pretty bad ass, considering he was half machine. Good enough to hunt down and exterminate the Jedi over a ten-fifteen year span, anyway.

Nickdfresh
05-01-2005, 08:10 PM
http://i.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/2005/1101050509_400.jpg
Dark Side Rising
http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050509/images/376_amstar.jpg
The first three Star Wars were epic. The next two, not really. Now George Lucas has pulled out all the stops and finished the cycle with Revenge of the Sith

Time Magazine (http://www.time.com/time/subscriber/covers/1101050509/story.html) (link requires registration)

By RICHARD CORLISS

Posted Sunday, May 1, 2005
Toward the end of Revenge of the Sith, the malefic Darth Sidious advances on Yoda, most of whose comrades on the Jedi Council have been cruelly cut down as the Republic is betrayed and the evil Empire spreads its vulture wings. "At last," the Sith lord hisses, sensing victory over a foe, "the Jedi are no more." Yoda, with all the knowledge and power of the Force compacted into a two-foot fur ball, squints sternly and issues one of his upside-down oracular sentences: "Not if anything I have to say about it."

The Star Wars saga could have ended 22 years ago, when Return of the Jedi concluded the trilogy of space-fantasy films that revolutionized mass entertainment, from the making and marketing of movies to the design of toys and video games. George Lucas' exhausting eight-year adventure—one that no studio had wanted to finance—turned into an improbable triumph. Star Wars (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Jedi (1983) earned $1.3 billion worldwide, back when that was real money. Lucas became one of the richest men in movies, the bright lord of his own destiny. Now he could direct those artsy little films he kept saying he wanted to make.

One problem, one long, tantalizing loose thread. In Lucas' eyes, the Star Wars odyssey was wrapped up only at one end. He had shown how Luke Skywalker marshals a band of rebels "to destroy the Sith," as the prophecy had it, "and bring balance to the Force." Still, in the filmmaker's mind was another, more complex tale: how ambition can twin with obsession and twist toward the dark side—how Luke's father Anakin devolved into the deadly Darth Vader. Lucas' brain teemed with plots and characters, exotic creatures, worlds to be spun out of the words and sketches in his notebooks. Also, by numbering the extant episodes IV, V and VI, he was implicitly promising a prequel trilogy to the millions of Star Wars fandroids.

"So I said, 'Well, I'll do the last three because if I don't, I'll probably regret it,'" he recalled recently, sitting in his office at Skywalker Ranch, the 6,500-acre Marin County, Calif., production facility that his Star Wars largesse bought him. "And then I got a lot of people saying I was going about it the wrong way." But Lucas' gift, maybe his burden, is an artistic stubborn streak—a determination to follow his own voice and style. Change the course he had set? Not if anything he had to say about it. And, really, he had the only say. "I said, 'I want to tell this particular story in this particular way, and we'll just get there.'"

On May 19, you'll see where they got: back, finally, to the beginning. The narrative arcs of the grand epic, gracefully bending in a double helix, will be complete. Anakin (Hayden Christensen), the handsome, headstrong young Jedi, will be lured by impulses both arrogant and poignant to collide with his awful fate. Under Darth Sidious, the Sith Empire will shred and swallow up the fragile Republic. Anakin's Jedi guru, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), will scuttle into hiding, as will Yoda. Over the galaxy, the silence of repression will fall, broken only by the cries of two infants, Luke and his twin sister Leia. "This is the movie that people have wanted to see," says Christensen, who in Sith steps confidently into Anakin's turbulent and agonized manhood. "And it does it in a clever enough way that you're never a step ahead of the story."

Clever, indeed. After two episodes—The Phantom Menace (1999) and Attack of the Clones (2002)—that often dawdled in political filibustering and starchy line readings, after the fan base's outrage at the unfortunate Jar Jar Binks incident, Revenge of the Sith shows Lucas storming back as a prime confector of popular art. Again one feels the sure narrative footing of the first Star Wars, the sepulchral allure of Empire, the confident resolution of a dozen plotlines that made Jedi a satisfying capper to the original enterprise. True, Lucas can pack little surprise into a backstory that's obliged to complete the saga's circle in the middle. But there's an origami elegance to his folding of the old (new) story into the new (old) one. Sith will surely start a stampede to resee the 1977 film as a reminder of how the 13-hr. tale proceeds. Lucas is nothing if not an expert extender of his franchise.

Sith has some clunky bits—all the films have those—and some amateur acting. But McGregor grows and grays intelligently into the middle-aged Obi-Wan, and his fellow Scot Ian McDiarmid has a starmaking turn as Chancellor Palpatine. It is brooding stuff, the most violent of the series—it's rated PG-13—about the coming-of-rage of a classic villain. Anakin even has a bit of Shakespearean resonance: the conflicted Hamlet finding the grasping pride of Macbeth, the noble assassin Brutus festering into a yellow-eyed Titus Andronicus.

Sith begins in agitation with the opening crawl's exclamation "War!" and a zesty, muscle-flexing skirmish between a quartet of Federation droid attack planes and the Jedi fighters of Anakin and Obi-Wan. "This is where the fun begins," Anakin says. The lad is a hotshot aerial ace, a proto-Han Solo, with the ego and adrenaline that are the marks of a superb warrior and will breed a hubris that Darth Sidious can exploit.

The two Jedi find Palpatine manacled in the lair of the Sith lord, Count Dooku (Christopher Lee), an ally of General Grievous, the dog-faced, metal-skeletoned, prune-gutted—and computerized—droid leader. In the ensuing lightsaber battles, Anakin gains strength and focus from his anger and, instead of arresting his foe, executes him. "It's not the Jedi way," the lad says remorsefully afterward. But that taste of righteous fury will prove addictive.

After more escapes and escapades, the Jedi pair bring the Chancellor back to Coruscant, capital of the Republic, where Anakin is reunited with his love—and secret wife—Senator Padmé Amidala (Natalie Portman). She is pregnant, a condition that, if known, would mean Anakin's expulsion from the Jedi priesthood. Much more troubling is a dream he has in which, as he tells Padmé, "You die in childbirth." "And the baby?" she asks. "I don't know," he replies. [Readers who don't want to know the identity of Darth Sidious are free to skip the next two paragraphs.]

To Yoda, Anakin reveals his unease, though not its cause. "The fear of loss is a path to the dark side," the tiny savant observes. "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." Translation: Loved ones die; get over it. That is counsel Anakin can't accept. He needs a different guru, so he turns, fatefully, to Palpatine, who has poison to pour into the young man's ear. To Anakin, it feels like honey, sounds like sagacity—because it is just what he wants to hear. The truth is that he can recite the Jedi catechism but can't feel it. He knows "the Sith rely on their passion for their strength. They think inward, only about themselves." Yet that is why Anakin is a natural Sith—and why he would make an ideal apprentice to Palpatine and the Chancellor's alter ego, Darth Sidious.

In the subtly insinuating performance by McDiarmid (here playing, 22 years after Jedi, a character some 20 years younger), Palpatine is a creature of dulcet tones and the darkest treachery. The sadness of his smile suggests wisdom gained at a heavy price. His soothing voice sells a seductive line of reasoning: that the Jedi are spurred by power lust and limited by their code. Thus he sets about achieving what the actor describes as "the coldhearted seduction and corruption of young Anakin." Palpatine is never more persuasive than when his life is at the mercy of the powerful young Jedi. By appealing to Anakin's need and greed, he turns the lad into Darth Vader and secures his own "unlimited power!" [Potential spoilers end here.]

In the movie world, unlimited power is what Lucas has. But when he decided a decade ago to expand upon both the story and the visual effects necessary to give it life, Lucas set himself two daunting challenges: to please an audience made picky by all the fantasies that followed his and to match or exceed the recent innovations in an industry he effectively created with the Star Wars films and the effects company, Industrial Light & Magic (ILM), he built to realize his fantastic galactic visions.

It was ILM's work with Steven Spielberg on Jurassic Park (1993), that convinced Lucas that more complex worlds could be put on film. "Jurassic Park showed that you could create things using a computer that were so realistic, you could insert them into a movie seamlessly," Lucas says. "It offered infinite manipulation of the image, as opposed to before, when you photographed something and were kind of stuck with that image. And it's infinitely cheaper."

In Phantom and Clones, as in the digital DVD updates of the first trilogy, Lucas paraded glamorous landscapes and a bestiary of chimerical critters—all to demonstrate his techies' abilities to make the surreal real and sometimes at the expense of the drama. Sith, with 90 minutes of animation (in contrast with 60 in Phantom and 70 in Clones), is less ostentatiously revolutionary than its predecessors. Rather, it's a consolidation of earlier breakthroughs. The climactic face-off between Sidious and Yoda is a potent, visually plausible merging of a human actor and a digital one. When an audience takes for granted the integration of live action and animation, the revolution Lucas pioneered can be said to have triumphed. If he has his way, soon all movie theaters will be junking film projectors and going digital.

Techies love working for Lucas because his movies introduced them as kids to the wonders of effects work; he was their Obi-Wan. He's savvy enough about the mechanics that he knows what's possible and so trusting in his staff that they will try to visualize the impossible for him, like the giant lizard Obi-Wan rides or the lava in Mustafar, where Anakin and Obi-Wan do battle. Lucas can mix all those elements in the editing room after the live-action scenes have been shot. "In postproduction," says visual-effects supervisor Roger Guyett, "he is creating the movie in his imagination, using visual effects."

Ben Burtt, who has designed the sound effects for every Star Wars film, says of Lucas, "He's always been more comfortable working in a private creative space than a public one. In the editing room, you have the time to try new things, and if they fail, nobody knows. That's how the creative issues are worked out. On a movie set, there are a lot of people and a lot of pressure, and you're paying a lot of money for every moment."

There are also actors, who may feel stranded as they stand before a green screen and try simulating eye contact with a monster that hasn't yet been created. "There's more imagination required than for regular movie roles," says Portman, "because it's not just imagining what's going on inside you. You're also imagining the environment you are in. A lot of times, you are working with a tape-marked X and imagining a blue sheet as a universe." Christensen adds, with a smile, "I wish they taught classes in green-screen acting." As for the veteran McDiarmid, he shrugs off the green-screen ordeal. "Movies are strange things with their own mad rules," he says. "You're always in a corner of a room, and the rest of the room is filled with lots of people."

In two weeks, lots of people will fill movie houses around the world to judge the latest and last Star Wars episode. True believers will debate and deliberate over each scene with the severity of a Jedi Council. The rest of us will breathe a sigh of relief that Lucas found the skill to make a grave and vigorous popular entertainment, a picture that regains and sustains the filmic Force he dreamed up a long time ago, in a movie industry that seems far, far away. Because he, irrevocably, changed it.

—Reported by Desa Philadelphia/Skywalker Ranch

bueno bob
05-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Cool article.

Cathedral
05-01-2005, 11:36 PM
It's just around the corner now, can't freakin wait....

Soul Reaper
05-02-2005, 10:13 AM

hey, Three Lock Rock, if you think Dave sucks why did you say this.

Click on the link please.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20636

Answer the thread.

You've just been owned, bitch.

Dave's Bitch
05-02-2005, 12:55 PM
the worst star wars movie was definatly episode 1,it was a big let down,this one looks like its gonna kick ass though

Vinnie Velvet
05-02-2005, 02:23 PM
It will kick ass, my friend.

Yes, kick ass, this movie will.

Soul Reaper
05-02-2005, 03:19 PM
I was anticipating Episode I but I was also disappointed.

Darth Maul ruled, but there wasn't enough of him

Dave's Bitch
05-02-2005, 04:32 PM
in episode 1 the pod race went on for to long i felt,it got kinda boring,darth maul was cool and the fight at the end kickd ass

bueno bob
05-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Sammy's Bitch
in episode 1 the pod race went on for to long i felt,it got kinda boring,darth maul was cool and the fight at the end kickd ass

That was really my only complaint about it too...the pod race being too long...actually, I think they spent WAY too much time on Tattooine all together, but...

Dave's Bitch
05-02-2005, 04:55 PM
i wish jar jar would die a slow and painful death though,i hate him so much

bueno bob
05-02-2005, 04:56 PM
You won't see him in Ep 3...well, maybe the last five minutes, but he doesn't have any speaking lines at all, and the camera just basically pans past him...

Vinnie Velvet
05-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Yeah, Jar Jar is only in ONE scene at the end of the movie.

and yes, no lines.

Lucas joked during filming that Jar Jar moved to Alderrann (sp??).

And we know what happens to that planet in Episode IV.

bueno bob
05-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Yeah, Jar Jar is only in ONE scene at the end of the movie.

and yes, no lines.

Lucas joked during filming that Jar Jar moved to Alderrann (sp??).

And we know what happens to that planet in Episode IV.

HA HA!

I didn't hear that, but it's certainly fitting! :)

Vinnie Velvet
05-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I have the Making of book for ROTS and he mentions it to the crew.

Personally, Jar Jar was never really a distraction for me in Menace.

It was the media and fanboys on Star Wars message boards that made it such a big deal.

Cathedral
05-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Yep, Jar Jar got way more press than he should have.
But this was sensed in the force by the Sales Manager of Emperial Realestate Inc. and they found him a GREAT deal on some land on Alderan, it had a great view of Imperial Star Destroyers and that soon to arrive Death Star.
It was my understanding that Jar Jar was going to take some great intergallactic pictures of the NEW Death Star upon its completion; you know, to launch his new gig as a freelance photobug.

Vinnie Velvet
05-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Yep, Jar Jar got way more press than he should have.
But this was sensed in the force by the Sales Manager of Emperial Realestate Inc. and they found him a GREAT deal on some land on Alderan, it had a great view of Imperial Star Destroyers and that soon to arrive Death Star.
It was my understanding that Jar Jar was going to take some great intergallactic pictures of the NEW Death Star upon its completion; you know, to launch his new gig as a freelance photobug.

LOL!!

Bill Lumbergh
05-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Episode 1 and 2 have grown on me the past year or so. Overall, both disapointed me though.........That said, I can't wait for this.........

bueno bob
05-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I didn't consider Jar Jar that much of a big deal...sure, he was annoying and often times hard to understand, but...I looked at him the same way I looked at the Ewoks - something for the kids to enjoy and that was it.

No big deal to me, and I certainly didn't find anything racist about him either. Remember all the "George Lucas is a white supremecist Nazi!" bullshit going around when Ep 1 hit? :rolleyes:

Bill Lumbergh
05-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Yeah, they thought the Viceroy were making fun of asians or something. "Sir, we loss tha tranmission"

bueno bob
05-03-2005, 03:11 PM
What I was REALLY amazed by was the religious right NOT getting totally up in arms about Anakin's immaculate conception...I remember watching it in the theater in Vegas (saw it at 3 AM in the morning while I was on vacation after I left Bally's $400 ahead, what could possibly be GRATER than that?), and I thought to myself "Oh, shit, here we go..."

Oddly enough, all the shit was about Jar Jar and the Viceroys of the Trade Federation. I guess the Christian extremists decided to take that battle off and go on their own vacation.

Bill Lumbergh
05-03-2005, 03:12 PM
I think Lucas backpedaled and said some of Wattos jizz dripped into Schmi's gash on accident...........

Dave's Bitch
05-03-2005, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bueno bob
[B]I didn't consider Jar Jar that much of a big deal...sure, he was annoying and often times hard to understand, but...I looked at him the same way I looked at the Ewoks - something for the kids to enjoy and that was it.

true,he was such an ass though,he deserves to be hacked to death with a lightsaber or something gory to that effect

bueno bob
05-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I think Lucas backpedaled and said some of Wattos jizz dripped into Schmi's gash on accident...........

Lovely! Watto was all man and Shmi, man, that was one of the HOTTEST bitches ever in Star Wars!

Coming soon...

"Star Whores Episode I: The Insertion In-Ass"

bueno bob
05-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Sammy's Bitch
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bueno bob
[B]I didn't consider Jar Jar that much of a big deal...sure, he was annoying and often times hard to understand, but...I looked at him the same way I looked at the Ewoks - something for the kids to enjoy and that was it.

true,he was such an ass though,he deserves to be hacked to death with a lightsaber or something gory to that effect

I hear ya...wasn't a Jar Jar fan, either... :)

Vinnie Velvet
05-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Episode 1 and 2 have grown on me the past year or so. Overall, both disapointed me though.........That said, I can't wait for this.........

Episode I certainly was a hit and miss, but I really enjoyed II.

Maybe it was Natalie Portman is all those sexy outfits that did it for me.

Anyhow, Clones was far better than Menace IMO.

Vinnie Velvet
05-03-2005, 04:31 PM
I didn't consider Jar Jar that much of a big deal...sure, he was annoying and often times hard to understand, but...I looked at him the same way I looked at the Ewoks - something for the kids to enjoy and that was it.

No big deal to me, and I certainly didn't find anything racist about him either. Remember all the "George Lucas is a white supremecist Nazi!" bullshit going around when Ep 1 hit? :rolleyes:

Yeah, was that ever stupid.

Goes to show you how much the Internet has affected the way people see things.

I mean, what if we had the Net when the first three came out? People would be calling C-3P0 gay, calling Lucas a racist because Lando double-crossed Han or whatever else fucking fanboys sitting at their computer could've thought of.

Vinnie Velvet
05-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Lovely! Watto was all man and Shmi, man, that was one of the HOTTEST bitches ever in Star Wars!

Coming soon...

"Star Whores Episode I: The Insertion In-Ass"

Well, after all, Shimi was Watto's slave.

;)

bueno bob
05-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah, was that ever stupid.

Goes to show you how much the Internet has affected the way people see things.

I mean, what if we had the Net when the first three came out? People would be calling C-3P0 gay, calling Lucas a racist because Lando double-crossed Han or whatever else fucking fanboys sitting at their computer could've thought of.

I think Ben Affleck was right in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"...the advent of the internet has given everyone a voice and all anyone wants to do with their voice is bitch about movies...lmao

Vinnie Velvet
05-03-2005, 04:50 PM
I think Ben Affleck was right in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"...the advent of the internet has given everyone a voice and all anyone wants to do with their voice is bitch about movies...lmao

That is so true.

By the way, I love that movie!

Jay and Silent Bob rule.

'Fuck Sammy Hagar, fuck him up his stupid ass!":D

bueno bob
05-03-2005, 04:52 PM
That is so true.

By the way, I love that movie!

Jay and Silent Bob rule.

'Fuck Sammy Hagar, fuck him up his stupid ass!":D

It was a grate movie, no doubt...I saw it in the theater and I was SO waiting to see Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in a scene together, but sadly...ah well, Darth Balls was still pretty cool :)

Vinnie Velvet
05-04-2005, 12:46 PM
It was a grate movie, no doubt...I saw it in the theater and I was SO waiting to see Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in a scene together, but sadly...ah well, Darth Balls was still pretty cool :)

Yeah, Fisher was pretty funny as the Nun.

She has always had a good sense of humour, however, these days I'm finding her annoying.

All she ever talks about (and its very clear in the DVD documentary) is that everytime there is something of Princess Leia merchandise out there "I have to pay George a few more bucks".

She's had her problems with drugs and alcohol (and her voice is so shot these days, very low, smoking no doubt).

But she seems to be bitter towards the whole Star Wars experience, that its Princess Leia that is popular and not her.

And even Mark Hammil to some extent always seems to have something fun to poke at in terms of Star Wars.

Geez, guys, its not George's fault you got typecasted. Maybe you people weren't as good as Harrison.

I guess that's the difference.

Take out Harrison Ford from the OT, and what you have is some bad acting.

bueno bob
05-04-2005, 01:05 PM
But she seems to be bitter towards the whole Star Wars experience, that its Princess Leia that is popular and not her.

And even Mark Hammil to some extent always seems to have something fun to poke at in terms of Star Wars.

I've noticed that, too. Mark and Carrie both seem extremely bitter about the whole thing...I mean, fuck, as much money as it made them, how could they be pissed? Where's the room for it? Oh sure, they were completely typecast after the fact, but Christ, they didn't have to work ever again...I'd have been GLAD to be typecast as Luke Skywalker so I could take the rest of my life off to just fuck off and do whatever the hell I wanted, regardless of whether it was succesful or not...hell, I could live extremely comfortably on half of what they probably get every month for royalties.

I seriously think it's Harrison Ford envy...my guess is that they all wanted to come away from Star Wars with careers on his level, and since they're essentially shitty actors, it didn't happen and they got pissed about it and envious since Ford had the Indiana Jones trilogy (and a shitload of other great movies) which kept him on the map (well, until recently, anyway, last few things he's done have tanked badly...Hollywood Homicide, anyone?).

They're certainly not alone in the world...how many people can watch Dean Cain in ANYTHING and not think of him as Clark Kent? Fuck, I still can't, and the only time that Chris Reeve wasn't Superman for me was after his accident...it took that to actually break him out of the typecasting for me. And I guarantee you that Tom Welling is going to have the same problem, nobody's going to cast him for SHIT after Smallville runs it's course.

Mark should stick with his comic books and Carrie may as well go drown herself in a bottle, I guess. It certainly isn't George's fault they're in their respective positions in life.

Soul Reaper
05-04-2005, 01:08 PM
me-sa, Jar Jar Binks!!!

how wude!!

I CAN'T STAND JJB!!! (not the shop)

bueno bob
05-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
me-sa, Jar Jar Binks!!!

how wude!!

I CAN'T STAND JJB!!! (not the shop)

Okee-day, Boy-O, we's-a make-a da note o'that!

Nickdfresh
05-04-2005, 01:44 PM
I've noticed that, too. Mark and Carrie both seem extremely bitter about the whole thing...I mean, fuck, as much money as it made them, how could they be pissed? Where's the room for it? Oh sure, they were completely typecast after the fact, but Christ, they didn't have to work ever again...I'd have been GLAD to be typecast as Luke Skywalker so I could take the rest of my life off to just fuck off and do whatever the hell I wanted, regardless of whether it was succesful or not...hell, I could live extremely comfortably on half of what they probably get every month for royalties.

I seriously think it's Harrison Ford envy...my guess is that they all wanted to come away from Star Wars with careers on his level, and since they're essentially shitty actors, it didn't happen and they got pissed about it and envious since Ford had the Indiana Jones trilogy (and a shitload of other great movies) which kept him on the map (well, until recently, anyway, last few things he's done have tanked badly...Hollywood Homicide, anyone?).

They're certainly not alone in the world...how many people can watch Dean Cain in ANYTHING and not think of him as Clark Kent? Fuck, I still can't, and the only time that Chris Reeve wasn't Superman for me was after his accident...it took that to actually break him out of the typecasting for me. And I guarantee you that Tom Welling is going to have the same problem, nobody's going to cast him for SHIT after Smallville runs it's course.

Mark should stick with his comic books and Carrie may as well go drown herself in a bottle, I guess. It certainly isn't George's fault they're in their respective positions in life.

I think I heard MARK HAMMILL say HE DOESN'T get a lot in residuals or royalties because he signed a 'money-up-front' deal and missed out on most of the profit-sharing. I assume he still gets side stuff like deals with toy companies to use his likeness and all that. I presume the same thing happened to Carrie Fischer (choosing the sure money rather than gamble for a big pay-off). So that may explain some of their bitterness.

I think I also remember hearing that HAMMILL had a bad motorcycle accident after STAR WARS and messed up his face and was a bit flakey. I think stuff like that did not endear him to LUCAS who expected him to keep himself out of potentially bad situations until the character had run his course.

bueno bob
05-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I think I heard MARK HAMMILL say HE DOESN'T get a lot in residuals or royalties because he signed a 'money-up-front' deal and missed out on most of the profit-sharing. I assume he still gets side stuff like deals with toy companies to use his likeness and all that. I presume the same thing happened to Carrie Fischer (choosing the sure money rather than gamble for a big pay-off). So that may explain some of their bitterness.

I think I also remember hearing that HAMMILL had a bad motorcycle accident after STAR WARS and messed up his face and was a bit flakey. I think stuff like that did not endear him to LUCAS who expected him to keep himself out of potentially bad situations until the character had run his course.

It could be. Mark had a bad accident right after Star Wars, took a lot of work to reconstruct his face...he almost had to be recast for Empire, so...who knows.

If they're not getting a lot of residuals, I can give them SOME leeway, but it's still their own faults.

Vinnie Velvet
05-04-2005, 03:35 PM
I agree.

Obviously, this won't happen to either Natalie Portman (recent Golden Globe Winner for her role in "Closer") or Ewan McGregor who has always been a great actor and has had profitable roles away from Star Wars.

Hayden Christensen, I don't know. He hasn't been in many flicks thus far.

Although. he was praised for his roles in lesser known films as "Life as a House" and "Shattered Glass".

I think the difference is that Natalie, Ewan and Hayden are better actors than Mark and Carrie ever were (not talking about their performances in the Star Wars movies).

Can anyone remember Hammil's "Corvette Summer"? (1978).
:rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
05-04-2005, 03:47 PM

I bet Mark Hammil wishes no one did!:p

He was okay in The Big Red One though. But Sir Lawrence Olivier, he's not!

bueno bob
05-04-2005, 04:40 PM
I agree.

Obviously, this won't happen to either Natalie Portman (recent Golden Globe Winner for her role in "Closer") or Ewan McGregor who has always been a great actor and has had profitable roles away from Star Wars.

Hayden Christensen, I don't know. He hasn't been in many flicks thus far.

Although. he was praised for his roles in lesser known films as "Life as a House" and "Shattered Glass".

I think the difference is that Natalie, Ewan and Hayden are better actors than Mark and Carrie ever were (not talking about their performances in the Star Wars movies).

Both "Shattered Glass" and "Life as a House" were great movies and he did a bang-up job in them...I don't think he's gonna have any problem finding work for himself, along with Natalie and Ewan, they were both established before Star Wars...Mark and Carrie weren't (well, Harry wasn't either, outside of "American Grafitti" and what, one or two others?...). I think Harrison's biggest drawing point that saved him from the Star Wars curse was the Indiana Jones trilogy happening at the same time...if it hadn't have been for Indiana and Blade Runner, who knows where he'd be today...probably NOT banging that skeleton Calista Flockhart...

BenJammin
05-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Another view on Mark Hammil's success [or lack thereof]

He was about a half foot shorter than Harrison Ford. Too short for 'leading man' roles. I think he is like 5'7" .

I can say this because I'm a short shit too and I notice those things.

Some may argue that Tom Cruise is that height also, but let's face it, he's much better looking than Mark, not to mention his acting skills.

If you've got two out of three [height, looks, acting skills]
you should do well in the entertainment biz.

Nickdfresh
05-05-2005, 08:50 AM
A Look Back in Wonder
http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050509/images/376_amlucas.jpg
After nearly three decades, George Lucas has finished his culture-changing saga of a fallen father and the son who redeems him. The director seems as surprised as anyone at what he has done. He sat down with TIME's Richard Schickel, who has known him since shortly after the original Star Wars came out in 1977, to talk about how he works, his fear of failure and the sort of movies he really wants to make.

By GEORGE LUCAS AND RICHARD SCHICKEL

Posted Sunday, May 1, 2005

TIME: Now that you've finished the entire saga, what do you feel? Sad? Glad? Half mad?

LUCAS: Well, I'm still stunned at this point. Yesterday was the first day I saw it, actually sat back and looked at it with an audience. I'm very happy with it. I think it turned out as well as I could have hoped, and at the same time I'm very glad that I finished it. It was desperate just to get the first one made. But the idea of actually doing the other two was this huge Mount Everest. And then the concept of going beyond Mount Everest was completely unthinkable. I expected this to be one movie. I expected it to take me a year, year and a half to make, and then I expected to move on to other things. Especially in the storytelling sense, it was very stylized, very much in opposition to what my natural inclinations are. It was a kind of whim which turned into my life.

TIME: Is that why, after the first three Star Wars episodes, it took you 16 years to come back and do these last three films?

LUCAS: Star Wars was written very carefully around the limits of technology. I had one big technological leap that I had to make, and that was to be able to pan the spaceships. I thought I knew enough about animation that I could make that happen. Everything else was written for what I knew I could get away with, given the fact that I had a limited budget, limited resources. But in terms of having creatures? I could barely get the cantina scene done. I had a couple of really stupid rubber masks. I had to go back and beg another $10,000 so I could go down to a garage and have a friend of mine make some better masks that actually moved their mouths. It took every ounce of energy to create Chewbacca. But then Jurassic Park inspired me. I didn't have to use rubber masks. I could build digital characters that can act and perform and walk around and interact with actors. I can use digital sets. I can paint reality. In essence, it means that cinema has gone from being a photographic medium to a painterly one.

Now just having made it to the end of the river is a relief. All the pieces are together, and I was able to buff up the older ones. I can put it together in a six-part DVD and be very proud of the way the story gets told. On the other hand, I have a feeling this one is going to be sort of like the last one in terms of some people like it, some people hate it. And like everyone who makes movies, I'm always convinced the next one will be a flop. So right now I'm thinking it probably won't make any money and will be considered a failure...

TIME: I think you've probably heard people say, "George doesn't really like directing actors. George doesn't really like being on the set and having the rub and scratch of egos and all that." Is there any truth to that? Is it easier for you to paint them on a computer?

LUCAS: No, no, no, it's not. People don't remember that every time you have a digital character, you have an actor. There's an actor doing the voice, or there's an actor on the set doing the performance with the other actors. He takes the place of the digital character. But you're still dealing with another human being, you're still trying to get a performance out of him, you're still doing that part of directing. I work with actors. I've always worked with actors. Francis Coppola taught me how to work with actors. Now, Francis takes them home to dinner. He lives with them. I'm a different kind of guy.

But I know a lot of directors who are far less communicative than I am. Am I less comfortable on set working with actors than I am in the editing room trying to put it all together? Yes, I would say that's probably true. Am I by nature a shy person? Yes. Have I kind of overcome my shyness to do things that a shy person shouldn't be able to do? Yes, of course I have. But people think of me as a sort of pathological, Howard Hughes-type guy sitting in a hotel room, which is definitely not so. I mean, you've known me for years. It ain't even close to that.

TIME: No, but everybody says, "Well, he's up there on the mountaintop, and he's all by himself—Mr. Mystery."

LUCAS: Yeah, but there's thousands of people here. I wish I worked by myself—it would mean the overhead's much less. But part of that comes from not being in a media center. I'm not in L.A., I'm not in New York, and therefore I must be out in the wilderness, sort of sitting in the Himalayas somewhere. San Francisco is not the wilderness. We have a nice little film community here. We make movies we're very proud of. We're not alone, and we may be liberal, but we're not completely crazy.

TIME: All right now, George, I've been hearing about these movies you're going to make since I first met you. In 1977 you said, "I'm gonna go off and make my little art films." What will they be?

LUCAS: I've got a whole binder full of stuff. Which one I'm going to take on first, I have no idea ... I know I'm going to produce a film about the African-American fighter pilots—the Tuskegee Airmen—during WW II. I've been working on that for 15 years. I've been having a very difficult time getting a script on it.

Like everyone who makes movies, I'm always convinced the next one will be a flop ... [that] it probably won't make any money.
— GEORGE LUCAS

TIME: And?

LUCAS: I'm going to go off in the direction that I was really interested in going off in when I was in film school—films like Koyaanisqatsi, films that are a little more abstract in nature. It's vaguely in the land of music videos, I guess, but I don't even know how to describe them. I'm going to deal with themes that have always interested me and are vaguely esoteric in nature. But I'm going to try to make them dramatic. I'm going to try to make them emotional. How they're gonna turn out, I don't know. I know they won't be mainstream movies. Fortunately, I have built my facility here to work in. I've set aside a chunk of money to do my movies—that I figure will last me for 10 years, when I'll be seventysomething and I should probably quit. I'm sure they'll be just as criticized as Star Wars films are. I'm sure some people will be just as devoted to them as the Star Wars films.

I'm also going to do some TV shows. I love television because it's not important. You get to do really great work, you really get to focus on the work, and all this megillah that goes on around it is gone. And you get to explore your interests, and it doesn't have to be that important. I want to get out of doing anything important.

TIME: Except maybe one last Indiana Jones movie.

LUCAS: You know, I said three's fine. And then I came up with an idea I thought was brilliant, so I told the other guys [Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford], and they kind of flipped out. It's vaguely in the realm of the supernatural. We have to accept the fact that Indiana Jones is an older man. But it's been hell getting a script out of it. Steven is committed to shooting it next year. I just got the latest script yesterday.

TIME: You don't have that many watersheds left, no matter how old you live to be. So, let me revert to my first question: What does it feel like bringing the Star Wars saga to a conclusion?

LUCAS: Well, I had mixed feelings about being George Star Wars Lucas. That was a hard thing, but I did finally accept the fact that there was probably nothing I was going to do with the rest of my life that was going to change that, that I might as well live with it. It's not the worst thing in the world. If that was my shot at some kind of vague little mark on history, hey, that's not so bad. That sort of led to saying, Well, if I'm already George Star Wars Lucas, then it doesn't make any difference what I do from now on. I've cleaned up the first three to the point where I am happy with them now. They may not be perfect, but they are as perfect as I can make them. I'm proud of the second three movies. People may not like them, but I'm proud of them. I never in a million years thought I could finish the whole story. In its course, I've done a lot of things I wanted to do, taking themes and stringing them different ways in different tones through different times—recurring elements twisted in different ways. And I've managed to do something that I've always kind of been fascinated with—doing something over 12 hours instead of two. What it really comes down to is, I am a happy man. What else can I tell you?

DrMaddVibe
05-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Doin the Lynndie!

Nickdfresh
05-05-2005, 09:06 AM
http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050509/gallery/images/01.jpg
Hayden Christensen plays troubled young Jedi Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sithhttp://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050509/gallery/images/02.jpg

LUCASFILM LTD. & TM
Obi-Wan employs the services of a giant lizard to fight droids
http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050509/gallery/images/03.jpg

LUCASFILM LTD. & TM
Yoda is back in lightsaber-wielding form

Nickdfresh
05-05-2005, 09:07 AM
http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050509/gallery/images/05.jpg
LUCASFILM LTD. & TM
Mace Windu (played by Samuel L. Jackson) faces a treacherous Palpatine
http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050509/gallery/images/06.jpg
General Grievous, the part-alien and part-machine military leader of the Separatist army, stands on the Trade Federation cruiser bridge and prepares for a Jedi attack
http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050509/gallery/images/07.jpg
LUCASFILM LTD. & TM
A Utapau clone trooper holds a hologram while receiving a message
http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050509/gallery/images/08.jpg
Onetime comrades Obi-Wan and Anakin engage in a furious duel on the lava river of Mustafar

Courtesy of Time Magazine (http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101050509/)

Cathedral
05-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Doin the Lynndie!

ROTMFFLMMFAO, That pic hit me like a ton of bricks...I think i laughed up my spleen.

Vinnie Velvet
05-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Cool pics!!

May 19th BABY!!!

Hey Bueno, are you seeing the first midnight showing?

bueno bob
05-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Cool pics!!

May 19th BABY!!!

Hey Bueno, are you seeing the first midnight showing?

No...believe it or not, I usually don't rush to the theaters for new Star Wars movies...and the reason for it is because I'm clausterphobic...I can't stand being in a highly dense, closed in area, I totally freak out, and with all the people that pile into the theaters whenever a new Star Wars movie hits, I can't handle it...as usual, I'll probably wait for a week and a half and then go see it, when it's not as jam packed as it is on opening night.

Vinnie Velvet
05-05-2005, 11:43 AM
No...believe it or not, I usually don't rush to the theaters for new Star Wars movies...and the reason for it is because I'm clausterphobic...I can't stand being in a highly dense, closed in area, I totally freak out, and with all the people that pile into the theaters whenever a new Star Wars movie hits, I can't handle it...as usual, I'll probably wait for a week and a half and then go see it, when it's not as jam packed as it is on opening night.

Oh well, gotta look after your well-being first.

I'll be sure to post up my review of the movie!

But from what I've already read, the movie kicks ass.

bueno bob
05-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Oh well, gotta look after your well-being first.

I'll be sure to post up my review of the movie!

But from what I've already read, the movie kicks ass.

Yeah, I truly feel this is going to be the Star Wars movie that everybody has KNOWN George was capable of...I don't think that there's going to be a lot of complaining about things out of the fanbase. It'll probably have it's normal deadspots for acting, but overall I think this is going to be the movie that ranks right up there with Empire in overall "Best" Star Wars movies. I think George pulled out all the stops and I doubt there's going to be any sort of drag at all...there were elements to Ep 1 & 2 that sort of drug along, even for me. Ep 1, I thought they spent too much time on Tattooine...Ep 2 I thought drug with the love story a little...

I doubt Ep 3 is going to have any time for slow spots.

Warham
05-05-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm going to the 7 pm show on opening night, so I'll have a review up the next day fo' sho'.

Cathedral
05-05-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm hitting the opening day matinee, oddly enough there aren't a whole lot of people missing work to catch films first.

By the way, I just had a huge yawn and with this upper respiratory infection i have, the phlem made me sound just like Chewy.

I wish i could have recorded it, it was way cool!

Vinnie Velvet
05-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I've read a ton of reviews for Sith and mostly all of them have been extremely positive!

The general consensus is that the movie is fucking awesome.

Hands down the best of the prequels and would even give Empire a run for its money (well it will most likley make more that it, that's for sure).

bueno bob
05-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I've read a ton of reviews for Sith and mostly all of them have been extremely positive!

The general consensus is that the movie is fucking awesome.

Hands down the best of the prequels and would even give Empire a run for its money (well it will most likley make more that it, that's for sure).

I'm sure it's going to. This is the movie everybody's always wanted to see, and they'll be out in droves...I wouldn't be surprised to see it topple Ep 1's take.

Vinnie Velvet
05-06-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm sure it's going to. This is the movie everybody's always wanted to see, and they'll be out in droves...I wouldn't be surprised to see it topple Ep 1's take.

I'd say that it will probably make as much as Menace, but who knows. Maybe it will make more since its the last one.

I'm not sure about Titanic though.

bueno bob
05-06-2005, 12:24 PM
I'd say that it will probably make as much as Menace, but who knows. Maybe it will make more since its the last one.

I'm not sure about Titanic though.

I think it's realistic that people will push this over Phantom's mark...but Titanic? Well...I'm with you on that, I doubt it'll happen. Might, but...it'd be a stretch.

Too many sixteen year old girls in the world when Titanic came into the theaters...and all of them went to see it 37 times each... :)

Vinnie Velvet
05-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Yeah, no kidding. Thanks to all those sixteen year old girls.

But its interesting when you look at Titanic's numbers.

It had no record opening, in fact, its opening weekend wasn't all that impressive.

But it just kept going, making 25 million a week, again and again.

I think Sith will get close to 470 million domestic. Let's hope it breaks the 500 mark.

Warham
05-06-2005, 03:18 PM
There are a few reviewers who say it's better than ROTJ, so the initial praise is very high, like VV said.

Vinnie Velvet
05-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Warham
There are a few reviewers who say it's better than ROTJ, so the initial praise is very high, like VV said.

Yup.

I also read that Lucas has really turned Star Wars upside down with Episode III, in a good way.

Meaning that viewing IV, V and VI will be a completely different experience and make even Jedi, Meance and Clones better films than they were.

Some will probably feel sorry for Vader, some will probably despise him moreso, and there's even a sense of "Dont do it Anakin!" that the audience WANTS Anakin to do the right thing even knwoing that he doesn;t because of his eventual fate.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

bueno bob
05-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Yup.

I also read that Lucas has really turned Star Wars upside down with Episode III, in a good way.

Meaning that viewing IV, V and VI will be a completely different experience and make even Jedi, Meance and Clones better films than they were.

Some will probably feel sorry for Vader, some will probably despise him moreso, and there's even a sense of "Dont do it Anakin!" that the audience WANTS Anakin to do the right thing even knwoing that he doesn;t because of his eventual fate.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

You know, I've actually ALWAYS felt sorry for him...even when I was a kid and watching him on the big screen, knowing him only as that evil guy that hates my hero Luke Skywalker, a part of me always kept thinking "You know, Ben Kenobi said he was once a really good guy and a good friend...Yoda said he was a very powerful Jedi...what must have twisted him into this? Whatever it was, I get the feeling that something must have forced him into it, and he felt he didn't have any other options than to go to the dark side...", and I felt bad for him.

I get the feeling that III is REALLY going to reinforce that.

Soul Reaper
05-09-2005, 03:01 PM
unfortuantely, i'm not going to be surprised for this film. I have a vague idea of what happens already. that's the only problem of making Episode IV, V and VI first before the prequels.

but still, should be very awesome.

the lightsaber duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan is supposed to be the longest fight in cinema history

Vinnie Velvet
05-09-2005, 03:10 PM
You know, I've actually ALWAYS felt sorry for him...even when I was a kid and watching him on the big screen, knowing him only as that evil guy that hates my hero Luke Skywalker, a part of me always kept thinking "You know, Ben Kenobi said he was once a really good guy and a good friend...Yoda said he was a very powerful Jedi...what must have twisted him into this? Whatever it was, I get the feeling that something must have forced him into it, and he felt he didn't have any other options than to go to the dark side...", and I felt bad for him.

I get the feeling that III is REALLY going to reinforce that.

That's interesting Beuno. I never really felt sad for Vader until the end of Jedi. Its just that I think after seeing ROTS, when Vader says to Luke "Its too late for me, son", there is an added emotional charge to it from seeing what happened to him in the first place.

What makes him do it? Why? There are a few major reasons.

Ya know, beautiful women can make guys do some terrible things sometimes.;)

http://www.natalieportman.com/picstemp/ROTSsenatoramidalaskywalker-verdanah.jpg

bueno bob
05-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Ya know, beautiful women can make guys do some terrible things sometimes.;)

http://www.natalieportman.com/picstemp/ROTSsenatoramidalaskywalker-verdanah.jpg

Fuckin' bitches! :D

Vinnie Velvet
05-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Goddamnit.

Portman is fucking hot, though.

I know how ya lika da big titties Beuno, but Padme is a nice piece of ass!

Warham
05-09-2005, 05:03 PM
When I was a kid, I always had wished Vader had survived the Emperor's lightning, Luke dragging him off the Death Star without removing the helmet, and the two kicking ass happily ever after :D

Vinnie Velvet
05-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I know.

But it would've looked funny seeing Vader in his suit being a 'good guy'.

Warham, Sith keeps getting rave reviews, even so far as to call it a 'masterpiece' in one review.

We are really in for a treat come May 19th.

Warham
05-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Yep, I keep checking rottentomatoes for new reviews.

Shit, at this pace, I think I know all the dialogue already, with all the spoilers I know.

Warham
05-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Read this funny review...

http://www.juicycerebellum.com/200511.htm

Dave's Bitch
05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
omg my friend thinks episode 1 is the best film ever,its shit,and he say's samule l jackson(or whatever his characters called)isnt the coolest person in episode 1 and 2.....what an ideot

DLR'sCock
05-09-2005, 06:30 PM
I have faith in Kevin's words. May the force KICK OUR ASSES!!!!

superdave
05-09-2005, 06:31 PM
never got into the Star Wars stuff--always thought anything Star Trek was much better

Dave's Bitch
05-10-2005, 12:20 PM
i hate star treck,but then again its not aimed at people my age so eh

Vinnie Velvet
05-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Lesa Keepa Da Topic on da new Star Warsa movie!

bueno bob
05-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Goddamnit.

Portman is fucking hot, though.

I know how ya lika da big titties Beuno, but Padme is a nice piece of ass!

Oh, I'm not gonna deny it!

DiamondGirl69
05-10-2005, 10:11 PM
i've read mostly negative reviews about the movie.

Warham
05-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Negative reviews????

I think you need to go to rottentomatoes.com and read there. Episode III has a 93% on their meter, which is very impressive.

Far from negative. In fact, most are glowing.

twonabomber
05-10-2005, 10:54 PM
i'm giving that cunt's sig a negative review.

bueno bob
05-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by DiamondGirl69
i've read mostly negative reviews about the movie.

From where? I haven't seen one negative review...anywhere...

Cathedral
05-11-2005, 12:24 PM
I can't argue a film i haven't seen yet against a review from someone that has, that is an excercise in futility.
But the key thing for me is who that review comes from.

When "A New Hope" was released in '77, the critics cut the film apart and said it sucked. So i went to see it for myself, that is when i learned my first valuable lesson in enjoying a film.
If a critic hates a film, I am 99.8% guarenteed to love it, lol.

Sure there have been really bad films made throughout history, video stores are full of them. but anything George Lucas has done was at the very least entertaining to me.
I don't go to see a movie with expectations, that's stupid unless you made the movie yourself.

The point of EP1 and EP2 was not lost on me. sure, they weren't like the first 3 films but ask yourself, "Why is that?"
Because Star Wars: A New Hope began in the middle of the story, right smack dab in the middle.
Remember, it opened with the Princess being persued and captured by Vader, we walked in to the middle of a story we had no previous exposure to.

EP1 and EP2 had the almost impossible task of starting the story from the beginning. telling us the part of the story that demands character development and leaves little room for action in the tradition of the first 3 films.
They had to start slow and making the future fit, a future we had already seen.
I liked the last 2 films because i went with no expectations and left feeling that the story fit what i had already known about the future, we have already seen the climax, now we are getting the back story that ties it all together. they did the one thing I think is important in a series of films done in this fashion, the excitment is building, it is building to a Pre-Climax.
EP1 was slow, it had to be so we understood the human side of Luke and Lea's parents while at the same time learning what made Luke and Lea so strong willed.
EP2 dealt with the coming of age of the parents and their bond that led them to fall in love and hide their relationship from those who would surely not understand.
EP3 will be the missing link that leads us into A New Hope, where all the questions that have been asked for 28 years are finally answered, it is darker than the others and for good reason, the story is about Darth Vader and his decline to the dark side of nature, the Dark Side of the Force.

Truth be known, there are things about all of the films i would have liked to have seen done differently, but it isn't my imagination producing the images, I am but a mere spectator into the mind of one George Lucas and i understand that in the end, I can either enjoy them as they are or walk away bitching because the man didn't capture my vision of HIS story.

I don't go to see a movie wanting to see reality. if i do then i go see a Documentary. I go to a movie to escape reality and be entertained, and George Lucas has done that for me on many occasions because he is great at making fantasy seem like a reality.

Go see The Excorcist: The Beginning, that film failed to entertain me.
Go see National Treasure, that film failed to entertain me.
Go see The Amityville Horror, that film failed to entertain me.

Those films failed because they could not tell a good story, they could not pull me into the staged reality as they were supposed to be designed to do.

George Lucas is a master at it, and for one reason, He is doing what HE envisions and he is true to his own imagination and is masterful at transfering that to the big screen.

Some people will hate it, but most will love it, and it will complete the story that has been waiting almost 30 years to be told.
I will sit there and be entertained as i have with each installment.
I won't be sitting there with a score card and a bitch sheet marking off the things that aren't as I expected them to be.

But that's not true, i do expect one thing...I expect to see a big black menacing suit to be wrapped around the man we call Anakin, I expect to see the birth of Darth Vader.
And seeing Vader on the big screen again will alone be worth the price of admission.
I have read how he became the Dark Force of Evil in the Universe, now we all get to see it.

Enjoy the film folks!

bueno bob
05-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Amen. I don't think ANYBODY could have said it better. Nice work, Cat.

Cathedral
05-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks, I am a bit biased because i love everything Lucas has produced.
Lucas, Spielberg and Zemeckus, those 3 dudes are all cut from the same cloth...and when they all get together on a project..Look the fuck out.

I'm pumped about EP III and can't wait to take my seat with a huge bucket of popcorn and a super sized beverage, lol.

I will proudly and loudly say "Entertain Me George!"

Soul Reaper
05-11-2005, 12:43 PM
no-one can deny that Portman is fit.

one of the many reasons i'm going to see Star Wars

wasn't she in that film Leon when she was a little girl?

bueno bob
05-11-2005, 12:43 PM
What are we, 8 days away?

I know it must be close, because yesterday I busted out my "Greatest Hits of Meco" CD! :D

bueno bob
05-11-2005, 12:44 PM

Your attachment is all blank, dude...

Cathedral
05-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Your attachment is all blank, dude...

It could be a virus, lmmfao.

Bitmap images suck major bantha dick.........

Vinnie Velvet
05-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I was looking forward to another Portman pic!

But Sith has been getting rave reviews and that's from mostly NON-Star Wars fans.

This movie is going to kick some ass.

I like Clones and Menace for what they were (though I like Clones better)---setup.

Episode III is the big pay-off.

People have said that the movie has left people cheering and gasping at the same time!

Not many flicks can do that.

Vinnie Velvet
05-11-2005, 02:22 PM

Yeah, she was.

That was her first picture.

Then she had some minor side roles from then on and then the big break with Menace.

Sweet piece of ass!

For all things Portman, check out this site: www.natalieportman.com

I like her a lot, but the people who put that site together are indeed obsessed!

Vinnie Velvet
05-11-2005, 02:36 PM
I can't argue a film i haven't seen yet against a review from someone that has, that is an excercise in futility.
But the key thing for me is who that review comes from.

When "A New Hope" was released in '77, the critics cut the film apart and said it sucked. So i went to see it for myself, that is when i learned my first valuable lesson in enjoying a film.
If a critic hates a film, I am 99.8% guarenteed to love it, lol.

Sure there have been really bad films made throughout history, video stores are full of them. but anything George Lucas has done was at the very least entertaining to me.
I don't go to see a movie with expectations, that's stupid unless you made the movie yourself.

The point of EP1 and EP2 was not lost on me. sure, they weren't like the first 3 films but ask yourself, "Why is that?"
Because Star Wars: A New Hope began in the middle of the story, right smack dab in the middle.
Remember, it opened with the Princess being persued and captured by Vader, we walked in to the middle of a story we had no previous exposure to.

EP1 and EP2 had the almost impossible task of starting the story from the beginning. telling us the part of the story that demands character development and leaves little room for action in the tradition of the first 3 films.
They had to start slow and making the future fit, a future we had already seen.
I liked the last 2 films because i went with no expectations and left feeling that the story fit what i had already known about the future, we have already seen the climax, now we are getting the back story that ties it all together. they did the one thing I think is important in a series of films done in this fashion, the excitment is building, it is building to a Pre-Climax.
EP1 was slow, it had to be so we understood the human side of Luke and Lea's parents while at the same time learning what made Luke and Lea so strong willed.
EP2 dealt with the coming of age of the parents and their bond that led them to fall in love and hide their relationship from those who would surely not understand.
EP3 will be the missing link that leads us into A New Hope, where all the questions that have been asked for 28 years are finally answered, it is darker than the others and for good reason, the story is about Darth Vader and his decline to the dark side of nature, the Dark Side of the Force.

Truth be known, there are things about all of the films i would have liked to have seen done differently, but it isn't my imagination producing the images, I am but a mere spectator into the mind of one George Lucas and i understand that in the end, I can either enjoy them as they are or walk away bitching because the man didn't capture my vision of HIS story.

I don't go to see a movie wanting to see reality. if i do then i go see a Documentary. I go to a movie to escape reality and be entertained, and George Lucas has done that for me on many occasions because he is great at making fantasy seem like a reality.

Go see The Excorcist: The Beginning, that film failed to entertain me.
Go see National Treasure, that film failed to entertain me.
Go see The Amityville Horror, that film failed to entertain me.

Those films failed because they could not tell a good story, they could not pull me into the staged reality as they were supposed to be designed to do.

George Lucas is a master at it, and for one reason, He is doing what HE envisions and he is true to his own imagination and is masterful at transfering that to the big screen.

Some people will hate it, but most will love it, and it will complete the story that has been waiting almost 30 years to be told.
I will sit there and be entertained as i have with each installment.
I won't be sitting there with a score card and a bitch sheet marking off the things that aren't as I expected them to be.

But that's not true, i do expect one thing...I expect to see a big black menacing suit to be wrapped around the man we call Anakin, I expect to see the birth of Darth Vader.
And seeing Vader on the big screen again will alone be worth the price of admission.
I have read how he became the Dark Force of Evil in the Universe, now we all get to see it.

Enjoy the film folks!

Great post Cat.

I couldn't have said it better.

Oh and as far as the 'Vader birth' scene. Its everything we ever wanted to be AND more (from what I have read in recent reviews and spoilers).

Shocking is one word to describe it.

Nickdfresh
05-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Mmmm...Natalie Portman...
http://hollywood.weblog.com.pt/arquivo/natalieportman4.JPG

superdave
05-11-2005, 05:52 PM
yes but does she do anal?

Warham
05-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Looks like a photoshop to me.

bueno bob
05-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by superdave
yes but does she do anal?

will ANYONE worth actually having it with? :rolleyes: :)

Cathedral
05-11-2005, 06:53 PM
It is, Nat doesn't do pics like that willingly.
There are some beach photos of her floating around where she is topless that were taken with a telephoto lens.

But other than that, she's been photoshopped to death for sure.

bueno bob
05-11-2005, 06:55 PM
There are some beach photos of her floating around where she is topless that were taken with a telephoto lens.

Very sad. Maybe one of these days she'll do Hustler and throw us all a bone :)

Literally.

Nickdfresh
05-11-2005, 07:17 PM

I thought she was in some stripper movie, where she originally had many a nude scene. But she got cold feet and made the director chop the scenes. So who knows?

bueno bob
05-11-2005, 09:58 PM
I thought she was in some stripper movie, where she originally had many a nude scene. But she got cold feet and made the director chop the scenes. So who knows?

Isn't that "Closer"? Haven't seen it yet...

Cathedral
05-11-2005, 10:43 PM

I remember some buzz about that, but i was under the impression that her mother had something to do with all that.
There was a big hoopla that she was manipulated into it by the Director or some crazy shit.

You and i both know a Director doesn't take things out if there isn't a damn good reason to...sex sells, so something was up that caused them to be cut.

She has a goodie goodie two shoes thing about her that needs to be snuffed by a really really bad boy, lol.

Vinnie Velvet
05-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Yeah, the movie is called 'Closer'.

She plays a stripper.

While there are no nude 'stripper' scenes, I think there is a nude scene of Portman (in a bedroom) exposing her backside!!

She won a Golden Globe award for best supporting actress for this movie and of course was nominated for an Academy Award a few months ago for it (she didn't win).

Vinnie Velvet
05-12-2005, 09:10 AM
I have been watching a lot of Episode II lately and I can't understand why people don't like it.

I especially like the scenes between Anakin and Padme, in light of what happens to them in Sith.

They are both young, naive. Anakin wants her and she resists. All along she's attracted to him but refuses to give in until they are set up against a possible execution in the Geonesis arena scene.

I had no problem with the love scenes (maybe because I just like hearing and seeing Portman!).

And of course there is so much to dig in Clones:

-Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett fight
-Speeder chase high above Couruscant
-Anakin going 'dark side' on the Sand People
-Anakin and Padme at the old familiar Lars homestead
-Padme's sexy ass white outfit!
-The Geonesis Arena battle
-The Clone War!
-Yoda kicking Dooku's ass

bueno bob
05-12-2005, 10:37 AM
People don't like Episode II because it doesn't have Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia and Chewbacca in it. No other reason, other than, for some people, they can't seem to accept the fact that they're not 10 years old anymore and that a new Star Wars movie isn't going to affect them in the same way in did 25 years ago.

Shit, I realize that and can accept it - Star Wars doesn't affect me like it did when I was a kid, either. But I can deal with it and shut off that area that's grown cynical about the whole thing and take it on it's own basis, and you know what?

I loved both Ep 1 & 2 to death.

Vinnie Velvet
05-12-2005, 10:48 AM
I totally agree, Bueno.

I see the Star Wars movies now on a whole different level! I don't even view the old ones like I did as a kid. Maybe because I actually believe in or know about the 'story'.

I don't know, maybe we just 'get it' and others don't or won't accept it.

Episode II is one of my favorite Star Wars movies. I like it better than Jedi and even like it moreso than A New Hope, at times.

bueno bob
05-12-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm with you, as has been usual throughout this thread!

The first three Star Wars movies are classics and always will be...but honestly, I don't look at them the same way I used to, either. They don't hit me on the same level anymore. Given the choice between watching ROTJ or AOTC, I'll pick AOTC every time...hell, half of the time I'd probably watch Phantom Menace over Star Wars ( or, A New Hope or whatever :) ).

Honestly, the new trilogy has been everything I hoped it would be...large scale lightsaber battles, cool enemies, outstanding special effects, more insight into the system of the old republic and how it operated on a day to day basis before it fell. I don't care who says what about it, honestly...George Lucas has done an OUTSTANDING job on the whole thing, and I as an original old school SW fan couldn't be happier! :)

Vinnie Velvet
05-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Well put, Bueno.

We are just ONE WEEK away from REVENGE OF THE SITH!

bueno bob
05-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Well put, Bueno.

We are just ONE WEEK away from REVENGE OF THE SITH!

No shit, the fever is upon me! I just busted out my Greatest Hits of Meco CD the other day!! The only time I take it out is when the SW fever has hit, and my wife's totally pissed (not because of the CD, it's because everything around the house here has been Star Wars lately...the kids are going fuckin' nuts and I'm leading the charge!).

Vinnie Velvet
05-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey! Same here.

I can't go a day without saying a line from any of the Star Wars movies.

Needless to say, the wife will probably be relieved when all is said and done after the 19th.

But then there's another viewing, more merchandise I'll purchase, then the DVD late this year.....

Warham
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Yep, my old lady's ready to kill me too. :D

Vinnie Velvet
05-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey Warham, love the Jango gif!

bueno bob
05-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Been seeing more clips from it...looks OUTSTANDINGLY SMASHING!!

Warham
05-13-2005, 06:41 PM
It's going to open on 600 more screens than AOTC opened up on, so it may break some records.

bueno bob
05-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Warham
It's going to open on 600 more screens than AOTC opened up on, so it may break some records.

With the chance to see Vader and Chewie on the big screen again? I feel pretty confident that this one will top Phantom's take.

Vinnie Velvet
05-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Been seeing more clips from it...looks OUTSTANDINGLY SMASHING!!

Check out the official site www.starwars.com

They've got a couple new ads for Sith.

And yes, OUTSTANDINGLY SMASHING would be a great way to put it!