View Full Version : Cavs contact Phil Jackson

POJO_Risin
04-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Well...Phil meets with kobe...

and now is contacted by Cleveland...

the question I have to ask is...

WHO IS CLOSER TO A TITLE?

From our friends at ESPN...

The Cleveland Cavaliers acknowledged Friday that they have initiated contact with coaching free agent Phil Jackson, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The Cavaliers confirmed to Stein that the club's new management team -- which is looking for a coach and a GM -- had its first coversation with Jackson this week.

Cleveland is widely considered the No. 3 suitor for Jackson behind the Lakers and Knicks. Yet it can be argued that the Cleveland situation is more attractive, in pure basketball terms, than either of the marquee teams with whom Jackson still has emotional ties.

Moving up quickly in the standings would be easier for the Cavs, in the East, than for the financially strapped Knicks or for the Lakers in the mighty West … mainly because of the presence of LeBron James on the roster. The Cavaliers are also expected have considerable salary-cap room this summer to re-shape their roster around James.

It's also believed that new owner Dan Gilbert would be willing to outbid the Lakers or the Knicks for Jackson.

Jackson has already talked to both the Knicks and Lakers about their head coaching positions.

Jackson had a "very good" meeting with Knicks president Isiah Thomas on Monday in Los Angeles, ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reported.

And ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported that Jackson already has spoken to Lakers owner Jerry Buss and plans to speak with him again soon.

Jackson also was scheduled to meet with Kobe Bryant in Los Angeles this week, according to Bucher.

However, sources close to Bryant said that he has not heard from Jackson about a possible meeting between the two. The sources said Bryant would not be opposed to such a get-together.

Warham
04-29-2005, 11:42 PM
I don't see Jackson coaching anywhere else but a glamour job. It's either LA or NY. My guess is back to LA, and I don't think Cleveland will outpay Buss if he wants Phil back bad enough. NY doesn't have any marquee players to attract Phil, and he already knows what he's got with Kobe.

POJO_Risin
04-29-2005, 11:49 PM
I don't disagree with that at all...

You're wrong about the Cavs outbidding anyone though...Gilbert has more than enough cash to outbid anyone for anything...I'm not sure ANY coach is worth 10 million+ though...

I don't suspect that Cleveland will get him...but...stranger things have happened...

you have the glamour job theory...but...the one shred of hope here for us Cavs fans is another theory...

that Phil once one last, quick run at an NBA title...

The Lakers are far from it at this point (although if Phil goes back there...and 'forgives' Kobe...that could change quickly)...

The Cavs aren't really much closer...but ample cap room...an owner willing to spend out of his ass...and enough talent already to make a run in the EAST next year may be the right calling card.

It all depends on what Phil's thinking...