PDA

View Full Version : Something Weird about Iron Maiden and Hawaii

The Scatologist
04-30-2005, 07:35 AM
It seems that in Hawaii, there are like over twice as many Iron Maiden fans of polynesian descent, then people of haole (white) descent.

Why this is so weird, is that typically, polynesian people, like Samoans and Tongans, shun rock music and listen to reggae and hawaiian.

However, I work at a bar where people from all over the world come, and I still have not seen a single white man, or people of any other race, be more hardcore maiden fans then the polynesians.

Of course, the young polynesian kids don't really care for maiden, cause they didn't really get a chance to get exposed to it, but I swear, when I would wear my Killers shirt, the majority of the people who would be like "YEEEAH! Iron Maiden!" would be like big Samoan dudes in their 40s lol.

I'm talking faded out Eddie tattooes and the whole deal. Hell, i've even had the lead singer in the local reggae band Ookla the Moc, which is one of the most popular reggae bands in hawaii, come up to me and share a maiden story with me. (He got beat up when he was little by another kid wearing the exact same shirt I was wearing, because the kid thought that he was one of those guys that only listened to reggae and stuff, but the guy was actually a huge Iron Maiden fans. Apparently, that guy was actually friends with his brother and they became like best friends later on lol)

The sad thing is, i've seen one white kid come in with a Killers shirt, (AFTER HE SAW ME WEAR IT) and he didn't even seem to know ANYTHING about Maiden. I also get smart ass haole guys who think they know all about Maiden being like all, hey you know who sang on that album? I'm like yeah, Paul Di'anno. They're like No MAN! Iron Maiden's singer is Bruce Dickenson! Then I have to always set them straight and they're like oh, I didn't know maiden had another singer. So then I have to fucking tell them about Blaze Bailey too. GRRR

I mean, all these Samoan and Tongan and Hawaiian people, probably the LAST people on earth you'd expect to listen to Iron Maiden, KNOW that Paul sang on Killers.

Weirded out yet?

nosuchluck
04-30-2005, 01:16 PM
no. why is it weird?

Don Corleone
04-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Dave Murray lives in Hawaii these days (just a useless fact I thought I'd chuck in)

DLR'sCock
04-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Maiden are Bigger all over the world, but they aren't as big in the states. Iron Maiden have sold over 50 million albums worldwide, but maybe only 7 million in the US...

So there ya go...

The Scatologist
04-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah but in Hawaii, it's common for the local kids to diss metal bands. It's almost like a taboo.

bueno bob
05-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Didnt Harris get married in Hawaii? Or was it Murray?

Jano
05-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Just a little message to you bro,i was living in Hawaii for a year(1992).I lived at AIAE hight
and i was a cook at " chez michel" a french restaurant in Honolulu! GREAT TIME, GREAT living style,SURF'S UP baby!
My best friend is living in Makaha!
Hang' n loose bro!

The Scatologist
05-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Aiea?

Jano
05-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
Aiea?
AIEA,oups sorry!

Jano
05-01-2005, 11:38 AM
By the way i used to go to the" jazz cellar",this place was good for heavy metal!