PDA

View Full Version : The NBC deal for the NFL...

POJO_Risin
04-30-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't know how I missed this...but NBC really got a killer deal.

for 600 million a year for 6 years...NBC gets the Thursday Night Opener, 2 wildcard games a year, and the 2009 and 2012 SuperBowl...

but the kicker...

THE LAST 7 WEEKS OF THE YEAR...NBC CAN PICK THE GAMES THAT WILL BE TELEVISED ON SUNDAY NIGHT!

That will guarantee nearly every weeknight...a marquee match-up...

that's flat out outstanding...

Monday Night tried for years to do it...but the NFL never extended the option to MNF...because switching a game from Sunday to Monday would be a logistical nightmare.

the NFL actually OFFERED that deal to NBC...so they will be able to poach games from CBS or FOX over the last seven weeks.

outstanding...but CBS and NBC has to be pissed...I think you'll see one of those networks going after the Sunday Night deal first...the next time around...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah, good thing for the TV viewers....

My only problem is for out of town people that have to change plans when NBC changes the game, to either move their game to 1 or 4PM or move their game to 8PM....

Trying to get out of town at 4PM is a lot different than getting out of town at Midnight....

Not a huge difference, but it does change things a little...

POJO_Risin
05-01-2005, 09:08 PM
1. I'm certain there is a rule as to how soon you can change the game...but MLB has done it for 10 years weekly...it's not like a precedent isn't there...

2. Who cares...let them change their plans...what's more important...10 thousand out of towners?...or 10-20 million viewers?

If it's a good game...I'd rather stay and watch it in prime time personally...

Figs
05-01-2005, 10:11 PM
That is great for TV, especially in NY where we get a lot of good games blacked out. You would think the other networks would get some compensation for losing big-rating games.

vanzilla
05-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Sucks working at an ABC station right now. But it is a good deal for the Peacock. Thanks for the heads up POJO.

Nickdfresh
05-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Figs
That is great for TV, especially in NY where we get a lot of good games blacked out. You would think the other networks would get some compensation for losing big-rating games.

Ahhh...the good old days of about up until ten years ago. Getting most of the stations from Toronto, Canada, we had A LOT of football on. That even occasionally included local Bills games that had been blacked out. But the NFL, and the networks in general, became more stringent. Now you can't even watch a blacked out Bills game in a Canadian strip clu...er...bar.:(

vanzilla
05-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Ahhh...the good old days of about up until ten years ago. Getting most of the stations from Toronto, Canada, we had A LOT of football on. That even occasionally included local Bills games that had been blacked out. But the NFL, and the networks in general, became more stringent. Now you can't even watch a blacked out Bills game in a Canadian strip clu...er...bar.:(

As a Bills fan Nick, how do you feel about the MUSIC CITY MIRACLE?

Unchainme
05-06-2005, 11:19 PM
sweet!