PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roll Stage Moves

The Scatologist
05-02-2005, 02:21 AM
I have never seen a thread on any messageboard about Rock and Roll stage moves. I really have to wonder why, for it's like one of the things that seperate the rock stars from the bore masters.

I have also hardly seen ANYONE use any fucking moves at all. They just stand there like morons and play. One of the things that made CVH so great, was all the jumps and running around and shit.

Since rock and roll stage moves are sorta like my speciality, i'd like to share how to do some with you people.

1. The All mighty Eddie Van Halen Scissor Kick.

THIS IS MUCH EASIER THEN IT LOOKS! See, the main thing that makes a split so hard to some people, is that they're not used to doing the splits, so they try to do it very very slowly. This will only make it hurt. There is nothing that keeps your legs from doing the foward splits. Think about it, can you move your leg to at least a 90 degree angle or close to it on both sides? All you gotta do is do it both ways at once. The hurt part actually comes from your weight bearing down on a awkward part of your legs.

This becomes MUCH easier of course, when you're in the air! Just try it! You'll be suprised. One thing you wanna make sure of, is to keep the foot that you use in the back, raised. This is essential to make it look like a great scissor kick. It does not have to be a perfect 180. Watch some videos of Ed, he doesn't do it perfect either, but still looks friggin cool.

2. Foot Shuffle, another Ed move, Move your feet in and out, while sorta turning your whole body left and right in rhythm to the song. Great especially on songs like Beautiful Girls.

3. The Slash Swagger
You need a low slung guitar to do this, preferably one of the vintagish types, not one of the strat types, or itll just look weird.
Sorta just swagger around in beat to your lead playing.

4. Head Bang.
One of the few moves that most people actually use, only they look fucking stupid doing it. It's all in the hair. You have to make your hair move the right way. Slow head bangs are great too, people hardly ever do slow big head bangs, but it adds a lot of effect. If you don't have hair, well don't head bang too much or you'll look like a fucking chicken.

5. The Slash/ Zakk Guitar on Leg move.

Looks coolest with les Pauls. Prop up your guitar on one of your legs, then solo away.

Well, that's all for now. Don't forget though, always keep moving. Learn how to control yourself while doing these. Especially the scissor kicks, try not to let the sound bounce when you come back down. I'll post more later if I feel like it. How bout you guys add some too?

These are only general guide lines by the way, just sorta like dance to the feel of the music.

Panamark
05-02-2005, 04:06 AM
What about Dave's Jack Daniels bottle ? :)

Hardrock69
05-02-2005, 09:20 AM
There coulde easily be a thread entitled Rock Poser Bands.

No I do not mean "poser" as in "fake", I mean musicians and bands who will automatically pose for fans, and defintely for cameras.

One of the greatest poser bands is The Scorpions. They realize the value of photographs in promoting themselves. If you are up front with a camera, you will find them drawn to you sooner or later, and they will strike various Rock God poses while you take pictures.

Some rockers are definitely more theatrical than others. Rob Halford is one. Uncle Dave is definitely someone who struts his stuff on stage, and makes for a really good subject for photogs....

In many cases, it is not really intentional...it is just the way the musicians move. Angus Young is always good for a photo, but of course they (like their albums) always look the same...Angus in Motion...soaking wet with sweat....he is not trying to pose for photogs, nor is he even thinking about "stage moves". He is just doing his thing...getting off on the music.

This is what I can truly understand, as when I am onstage blasting out at high volume, all I am doing is getting off on the music I am playing. I cannot stand still, and so my stage moves are never intentional.

I cannot for the life of me understand musicians who just stand there and stare at their shoes. I could understand it to some degree if they were playing some kinda shred or really difficult guitar chops and needed to stand still to concentrate, or if they were like Mick Mars and were just a skeleton-like creature propped up on stage....but when they are playing simple chord progressions or whatever, and they do not move or act energized by their own music...they should be hit severely by a cattle-prod, or have their shoes set on fire or something....
ANYTHING to get them to move around at least a little bit...

Big Fat Sammy
05-02-2005, 12:36 PM
...and there is the most classic pose for smokers. Many have copied it.

The Jimmy Page Cigarette Angle

it's all in the angle of the cigarette dangle.

Don Corleone
05-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
What about Dave's Jack Daniels bottle ? :)

Or Ed's puking stage right??

nosuchluck
05-02-2005, 02:37 PM
you forgot that guitar twirling thing that Yngwie did.
a friend of mine suffered a nasty head injury when he attempted that.

Don Corleone
05-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck

If your on about the Twirly, then I've seen a few guys (including Nicolas Arson of the The Hives) launch their guitars trying that one (the straps came undone).

The Scatologist
05-02-2005, 03:36 PM
lol anyone have that video clip of that kid trying it and having it come off?

The Scatologist
05-02-2005, 03:37 PM
and screw you, the scorpians kick ass

GAR
05-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck

I did that in Montclair once in the 80s and lost a strap button, the whole guitar went skidding like a skateboard.

nosuchluck
05-02-2005, 06:03 PM
i wonder if Yngwie can still do that - his circumference might not permit it anymore.

Mr Grimsdale
05-02-2005, 07:52 PM
even though he's almost big enough to be considered a planet he still does that - check out the last G3 dvd

tydhurst
05-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
even though he's almost big enough to be considered a planet he still does that - check out the last G3 dvd

Six Bloody Times In The Same Bloody Song!

I reckon the key to stage presence is to look different, not like anyone else, that includes famous people!

Nitro Express
05-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Yngwie's Strats aren't that heavy and he uses a Dimarzio guitar strap that is made from cotton weave. Inexpensive straps and comfortable as hell, I highly reccomend them and they come with two screws to fasten the detatable strap ends to the guitar. Steve Vail uses the nylon version of the same strap.

You can do Ynqwie twirls all day long with these Dimarzio locking straps and a Stratocaster. It isn't that hard.

Nitro Express
05-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Let's not forget Pete Townsend's windmill. That always was a cool move.

Panamark
05-03-2005, 03:01 AM
Ozzy's little jump, and his throwing the buckets of water on the crowd
are pretty famous too..

The Scatologist
05-03-2005, 03:58 AM
Oh, Oh, spraying water or beer or any other liquid, (and in some cases like G.G Allen, urine) from your mouth onto the crowd.

Grabbing your crotch.

Pelvic Thrusts.

NATEDOG001976
05-03-2005, 04:02 AM
What about Steven Tylers "Twirl around with the mic stand"? Aerosmith fuckin' rocks! Van Halen needs to look at Aerosmith and they have got it done for so many years!

GAR
05-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Yngwie's Strats aren't that heavy and he uses a Dimarzio guitar strap that is made from cotton weave.

No that strap is the nylon one, with the baby-carriage snaplocks - the cotton straps don't permit sliding around across the back like that.

GAR
05-03-2005, 04:19 PM
- or should I say, across the stage floor like that, because (at least in 86 when I got one) the DiMarzio straps did not include replacement button screws like StrapLock System uses - an oversized, unpullable stainless steel screw.

BrownSound1
05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
I never consciously thought about what I was doing onstage...I just played and flirted with the girls.

GAR
05-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Now you're a Webmaster on the Roth board, go figure.

Even Jesterstar is a Webmaster now.

Nitro Express
05-04-2005, 01:32 PM
You have to special order the cotton Dimarzio straps. I just use the ones made from nylon seat belt material. It doesn't chaff my neck and yeah, it slides if you want it too but it still stays put. The straps with the pattern Yngwie likes are only made in cotton but maybe Dimarzio makes them special for him.

I ordered 3 2" nylon straps a few weeks ago and they included the oversized screws.

Hardrock69
05-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
and screw you, the scorpians kick ass

That is "Screw you SIR, The Scorpions kick ass".

When did I ever say they did not kick ass??

October 1986..Yngwie was opening for AC/DC (what a pairing that was). My best friend tried a twirly with his Gibson SG. Yes the strap came undone, and it hit the floor with the headstock pointing straight down. Did not bust it off, but broke it enough that it was unusable. He gave it to me as a christmas present that year. I fixed it, re finished it and gave it to a girlfriend who never bothered to learn how to play it and then had it stolen from her...

Matt White
05-04-2005, 09:46 PM
I never liked standing still as a statue like Joe Perry on ludes. Yet the Angus Young whirlinf Dervish wasn't for me either.

I preferred the Jimmy Page stagger. Looked cool and you don't trip over your bandmates!!!

Hardrock69
05-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Oh, and I use straplocks on all my stage guitars. They are necessary.

The Scatologist
05-04-2005, 11:32 PM
yeah, but sometimes, the strap lock screws themselves can come off lol. Then you have to drill it, and glue a dowel in there, and drill again, then screw it in.

BrownSound1
05-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by GAR
Now you're a Webmaster on the Roth board, go figure.

Even Jesterstar is a Webmaster now.

And you're here more than both of us. :D

DLR82VH
05-05-2005, 05:17 AM
I would like instructions on how to execute the flying splits off the drum riser. :D

The Scatologist
05-05-2005, 06:46 AM
lol. Only Roth man. Only Roth!

Nitro Express
05-06-2005, 06:04 PM
I heard Eddie Van Halen puts Liquid Nail on the eye screws he used on his guitars. Man Liquid Nail is some tough shit, them screws are going nowhere.

jojo2371
05-09-2005, 11:17 PM
how bout roger daltrey's swinging the mic by the cord move ? if you have ever seen the man in action he dont fuck around ,he gets a good 6-7 feet of cord goin in a windmill action and flips it in the air so he catches the mic ,id like to know how many times he has missed the mic and just launches that thing like a missile into some poor unsuspecting fan in the front row ????

jojo2371
05-09-2005, 11:19 PM
or i never really understood iggy pop and the smear a jar of peanut butter on my self move ? is that even considered a cool rock n roll stage move ?

Big Fat Sammy
05-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by jojo2371
or i never really understood iggy pop and the smear a jar of peanut butter on my self move ? is that even considered a cool rock n roll stage move ?

He only did that once...and Iggy invented stagediving I do believe.

jojo2371
05-10-2005, 02:15 PM
now thats some cool shit to put on your resume'!!! inventor of the stage dive !!!!

Big Fat Sammy
05-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Iggy Pop stagedive (late '60s)

GAR
05-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I used to launch my meat curtains into the crowd at parties, just to look like I could play.

I can only play the radio and other backline things.

Redballjets88
05-26-2005, 11:03 AM
watch the yankee rose video it is the ultimate

Lou Ferrigno
06-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Yeah I can't stand still while I'm playing...
I love to do some Pete Townsend moves...
The windmill...
http://www.steverussell.freeserve.co.uk/hofner/users/town2.jpeg

Or his awesome jumps...
http://www.edperlstein.com/images/RockCollage/13.jpg