PDA

View Full Version : Great albums the critics tell you to hate

Mr Badguy
05-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Do you ever get pissed when good albums get a rough ride from a dipshit?

How about when it gets dissed so often that it becomes the culture for everyone to piss on it?

Let`s take Black Sabbath`s "Technical ecstacy", for example.

In every review you ever read "Technical ecstacy" gets a booting.

While it isn`t as innovative as their earlier albums, I find it a decent listen.

It is maybe a bit over-produced and mostly unsuitable for live performance but I don`t think there`s a bad song on it, with "It`s alright" and "She`s gone" very under-rated songs in the Sabbath catologue.

It ain`t flat out heavy riffing, but the sound of a band trying to branch out and find a new direction, which is something that most of these writers seem to ignore.

There are countless examples of the same thing happening to other good albums.

What bugs your box?

flappo
05-07-2005, 04:00 AM
i was gonna say hot space by queen , but that IS awful

Cato
05-07-2005, 04:54 AM
why does Nigel behave like a mod?

Panamark
05-07-2005, 06:01 AM
I remember thinking "Never mind the Bollocks" was fookin ace, when critics bagged it. Now the critics say its ace !

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Critics often say things are shite, but take back what they said when the album is considered classic. Look at EVERYTHING remotely prog.

They said Motorhead couldn't play, they said ELP were a waste of electricity, and QUEEN very rarely got a good review.

Personally, I always thought that 'Never Say Die' didn't deserve the thrashing it got.

Motorhead's 'Another Perfect Day', also was thrashed for no real reason, other than a slight change in direction.

AC/DC'S 'Fly On The Wall'

Queen's 'Made In Heaven' wasn't the best Queen album, but it is certainly a very emotional listen.

Amongst others, which I will probably post later.

Big Fat Sammy
05-07-2005, 10:43 AM
I came across a stack of Circus magazines from the early to mid seventies. Every Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin album had a fairly bad review, including Exile on Main St. and Houses Of The Holy. Those fucknuggets probably feel stupid now.

Atomic_Rob
05-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Everything the original Status Quo line-up from 1970 - 1977 got shit reviews, classic stuff.

Terry
05-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Stopped listening to what critics had to say like it was the word of God years ago.

Seemed like every critic thinks Springsteen is the Second Coming or something. Same with U2 until Pop came out. Same for Joni Mitchell.

These days, critics even find positive things to write about with shit like Ashlee Simpson and countless other manufactured 'artists'.

Stillwell
05-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Deep Purple's House of Blue Light and Slaves & Masters. Both amazing albums that get slagged over and over again.

I'll wait for Bob to say "Forbidden."

superdave
05-07-2005, 12:37 PM
The critic in Minneapolis here has trashed everything associated with Roth era Van Halen, but creams his undies with anything to do with Prince--it's sickening, and anything that he does say is decent or good usually sucks or poindexters listen to it

bueno bob
05-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Stillwell
I'll wait for Bob to say "Forbidden."

Count it as done.

"Forbidden", Black Sabbath. OUTSTANDING stuff there if you take the time to listen to it :D

I'm with you though, Still; I did as promised and listened to CP, it's not as bad as I remembered it, but I still prefer "Forbidden" - half victory, anyway.

Last_Child
05-07-2005, 02:05 PM
AC/DC - Fly On The Wall..
AC/DC - Flick Of The Switch-
AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video.
AC/DC - Live Special Collectors Edition 2CD's.
AC/DC - Who Made Who.

:D

Stillwell
05-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Count it as done.

I did as promised and listened to CP, it's not as bad as I remembered it, but I still prefer "Forbidden" - half victory, anyway.

Glad ya did. There's always enough time in the day to re-appreciate Tony Iommi.

Hardrock69
05-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Well, ya know why they are called "critics"?

Because they are PAID to criticise everything!!!!

Bill Lumbergh
05-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Still listening to that second rate Sab Bob? BTW, I'm a HUGE fan of Technical Ecstasy.........

bueno bob
05-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Still listening to that second rate Sab Bob? BTW, I'm a HUGE fan of Technical Ecstasy.........

Don't make me come beat your children again, Bill!
:mad:

Hoongood
05-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Every Dave solo album, except Diamond Dave. It deserved the trashing.

Loons The Great
05-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally puked and buked by Hoofgood
Every Dave solo album, except Diamond Dave. It deserved the trashing.

Diamond Dave is an incredible album.

And "Top Jimmy" can be played with one guitar. THE TUNING IS LOW TO HIGH D A D A C D.

Hoongood
05-08-2005, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fruit of the Loons
[B] Diamond Dave is an incredible album.

Yeah incredibly boring, incredibly forgettable, incredibly disappointing.

Terry
05-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
Diamond Dave is an incredible album.

And "Top Jimmy" can be played with one guitar. THE TUNING IS LOW TO HIGH D A D A C D.

Yeah, but he did the guitar solo in standard tuning, or EVH standard E flat tuning, anyway.

Hardrock69
05-08-2005, 06:45 PM
I played "All Moving Parts Stand Still" from Technical Ecstasy in a band I was in in 1979....

Rikk
05-08-2005, 06:52 PM
TECHNICAL ECSTASY is a very strong album...much better than NEVER SAY DIE (which has a few good moments, like JUNIOR'S EYES). GYPSY, IT'S ALRIGHT and especially DIRTY WOMEN are all among the band's best moments.

I find it interesting that Rolling Stone shat all over NIRVANA's NEVERMIND when it first came out, calling it 90s indie rock with no melody or depth, and now those assholes put it on the top of lists four times a year. It's a good album, but not NIRVANA's best. And it just proves that Rolling Stone follow the trends...they don't make the trends, stupid assholes.

bueno bob
05-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
TECHNICAL ECSTASY is a very strong album...much better than NEVER SAY DIE (which has a few good moments, like JUNIOR'S EYES). GYPSY, IT'S ALRIGHT and especially DIRTY WOMEN are all among the band's best moments.

I find it interesting that Rolling Stone shat all over NIRVANA's NEVERMIND when it first came out, calling it 90s indie rock with no melody or depth, and now those assholes put it on the top of lists four times a year. It's a good album, but not NIRVANA's best. And it just proves that Rolling Stone follow the trends...they don't make the trends, stupid assholes.

For some odd reason, I preferred Never Say Die, although logically I know that Technical Ecstasy is the better album of the two. Odd how it works, but...go figure, I am Bueno Bob after all...

LoungeMachine
05-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Spinal Tap - Break Like The Wind.

totally disrespected by the critics.

as if.

Rikk
05-08-2005, 09:54 PM
For some odd reason, I preferred Never Say Die, although logically I know that Technical Ecstasy is the better album of the two. Odd how it works, but...go figure, I am Bueno Bob after all...

Yes. Yes you are.

bueno bob
05-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Yes. Yes you are.

And don't you forget it, either! I'll hit you so hard it'll make Merle hurt! :mad:

:)

tydhurst
05-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Last_Child
AC/DC - Fly On The Wall..
AC/DC - Flick Of The Switch-
AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video.
AC/DC - Live Special Collectors Edition 2CD's.
AC/DC - Who Made Who.

:D

Well, sometimes critics can be right.

Just kidding. Peace.

I think that some of Aerosmith's late 70s/early 80s stuff should have been given a better cahnce, as it did still rock harder than some of the other shite that came out at that time!

Rikk
05-09-2005, 12:07 AM
And don't you forget it, either! I'll hit you so hard it'll make Merle hurt! :mad:

:)

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=449822