PDA

View Full Version : this is for you english guys and girls out there

Dave's Bitch
05-02-2005, 12:02 PM
hey wassup,im moveing to england soon like in a few months and iwas wondering,what is a chav???
ive heard alot of english guys talking about chavs and saying what assholes they are so it got me wondering,what are they and why are they such assholes??????

American Gypsy
05-02-2005, 12:09 PM
S.B.,
Enjoy!
The press in Britain has recently been having fun mocking a group for which pejorative descriptions have been created such as “non-educated delinquents” and “the burgeoning peasant underclass”. The subjects of these derogatory descriptions are said to be set apart by ignorance, fecklessness, mindless violence and bad taste.
To illustrate the last of these, critics point to their style of dress: a love of flashy gold jewellery (hooped earrings, thick neck chains, sovereign rings and heavy bangles, which all may be lumped together under the term bling-bling); the wearing of white trainers (in what is called “prison white”, so clean that they look new); clothes in fashionable brands with very prominent logos; and baseball caps, frequently in Burberry check, a favourite style. The women, the Daily Mail wrote recently in a characteristic burst of maidenly distaste, “pull their shoddily dyed hair back in that ultra-tight bun known as a ‘council-house facelift’, wear skirts too short for their mottled blue thighs, and expose too much of their distressingly flabby midriffs”.
This upsurge of popular distaste towards one group may be evidence for a cultural shift back towards a class-ridden British society—at least the fear that it might be so is causing some alarm in liberal circles. Critics point to the copying of the style by many younger television celebrities as a further dumbing-down of that medium. Much of the attention is due to the experience of a Web site, which was intended to be humorous but which was infiltrated by extremists who threatened to turn it into a hate site.
From a linguistic perspective the most interesting aspect is the wide variety of local names given to the type. Scots call them neds (often said to be an acronym of “non-educated delinquents”, but that’s a folk etymology, given credence by being mentioned as fact during a debate in the Scottish parliament in 2003; it’s actually from an abridged form of the given name Edward, which was attached to this group in the period of the teddy-boys, who dressed in a version of Edwardian costume), while Liverpudlians prefer scallies (a term of long-standing for a boisterous, disruptive or irresponsible young man); Kev is common around London (presumably from the given name Kevin, common among this group and popularised through the portrayal on his television show by the comedian Harry Enfield of an idiotic teenager with that name). Other terms recorded from various parts of the country are smicks, spides, moakes and steeks (all from Belfast), plus bazzas, scuffheads, stigs, skangers, yarcos, and kappa slappers (girls who wear Kappa brand tracksuits, slapper being British slang for a promiscuous or vulgar woman).
The term that has become especially widely known in recent weeks, at least in southern England, is the one borrowed for the name of the Web site, chav. A writer in the Independent thought it derived from the name of the town of Chatham in Kent, where the term is best known and probably originated. It is also commonly said that it's an acronym, either from “Council House And Violent” or “Cheltenham Average” (the word being widely known in that area). As usual, we must treat supposed acronymic origins with the greatest suspicion; these examples are definitely recent after-the-event inventions as attempts to explain the word, though very widely known and believed.
But it seems that the word is from a much older underclass, the gypsies, many of whom have lived in that area for generations. Chav is almost certainly from the Romany word for a child, chavi, recorded from the middle of the nineteenth century. We know it was being used as a term of address to an adult man a little later in the century, but it hasn’t often been recorded in print since and its derivative chav is new to most people.
Other terms for the class also have Romany connections; another is charver, Romany for prostitute. Yet another is the deeply insulting pikey, presumably from the Kentish dialect term for gypsy that was borrowed from turnpike, so a person who travels the roads.
Did chavi die out, only to be reinvented recently? That seems hardly likely from the written and anecdotal evidence, and many correspondents report that it is well known to them as a spoken term in various parts of the country; what we’re seeing is a term that has been in active but inconspicuous use for the last 150 years suddenly bursting out into wider popular use in a new sense through circumstances we don’t fully understand.

Have a nice day!

Soul Reaper
05-02-2005, 02:47 PM
England is pretty cool.

It's got nice countryside and a lot of history. If that matters much.

Yes, there is a few 'chavs' around.

Dave's Bitch
05-02-2005, 04:05 PM
lol,kappa slappers

Nitro Express
05-03-2005, 01:41 PM
British girls are a pretty good fuck too. Good chocolate. Lousey weather, horrible food, but as long as you can fuck a cute British girl and suck on some Maltteasers, there are worse places you could be.

vanzilla
05-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
British girls are a pretty good fuck too. Good chocolate. Lousey weather, horrible food, but as long as you can fuck a cute British girl and suck on some Maltteasers, there are worse places you could be.

Sammy's bitch is a girl Nitro. But you're right about the good chocolate. I've never had a British chick before, so I'll take your word on it.:)

DLR7884
05-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by vanzilla
Sammy's bitch is a girl Nitro. But you're right about the good chocolate. I've never had a British chick before, so I'll take your word on it.:)

She's a 15 year old lesbian.

DLR7884
She'll be happy that British girls are good fucks.

Dan
05-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884

DLR7884

So she likes Hair Pie then?

DLR7884
05-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Dan
So she likes Hair Pie then?

Loves it...

Just as much as you or I do.

DLR7884
Well, maybe not as much as me. ;)

The Scatologist
05-05-2005, 10:28 PM
fish and chips and rotten teeth

Dr. Love
05-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by American Gypsy
S.B.,
Enjoy!
The press in Britain has recently been having fun mocking a group for which pejorative descriptions ...

And... you probably lost her right there.

FasterPussycat
05-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884

DLR7884

I wonder what her parents think of some jackass, cock-sucking, racist bitch, aka DLR7884, calling their minor daughter horrible names.

I wish they are lawyers.

DLR7884
05-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by FasterPussycat
I wonder what her parents think of some jackass, cock-sucking, racist bitch, aka DLR7884, calling their minor daughter horrible names.

I wish they are lawyers.

Yes, it would be interesting to see what her parents would think.

Maybe if they were at least somewhat good parents, they wouldn't allow their 15 year old daughter to come here.

Rednecks like you don't think about the other side of the coin, do you?

So let me get this straight????

YOU THINK THAT BECAUSE THEIR 15 YEAR OLD LESBO DAUGHTER GETS CALLED NAMES ON A MESSAGE BOARD THAT SHE DOESN'T BELONG AT.....THEY HAVE A CASE AGAINST ME OR THIS WEBSITE?

ON WHAT GROUNDS, MAY I FUCKING ASK? (EXCUSE ME, MAYBE I SHOULD SAY "AKS," YOU WILL UNDERSTAND BETTER)

God damn, are you really this stupid?

DLR7884
I really think you are. :)

Shaun Ponsonby
05-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Where exactly are you moving to?

Dave's Bitch
05-06-2005, 05:25 PM
about 30mins away from manchester

smaz
05-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Sammy's Bitch
about 30mins away from manchester

Near where I was born :D They'll be a lotta 'Chavs', 'Pikies', 'Rude boys' etc there then :D

Originally posted by American Gypsy
S.B.,
Enjoy!
The press in Britain has recently been having fun mocking a group for which pejorative descriptions have been created such as “non-educated delinquents” and “the burgeoning peasant underclass”.

Oh shit, hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! That's too fuckin' funny. Where'd ya get it? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm not far away then, I only liove about 45mins-an hour away from Manchester.

I wouldn't recommend going to Manchester too often, though. Then again, that's a pretty common thing coming from a scouser. HEH-HEH!

By the way, if anybody tells you that scousers rob you blind, do us a favor, tell them to go fuck themselves. Crime goes down in Liverpool each year, and it goes up in London, Birmingham and all the other major cities, yet it's always Liverpool that get stick for it. I was in Morecome once (visiting family), and we had security trying to follow us around the shop suttley because of our accents. It's bollocks, don't believe it.

Don Corleone
05-08-2005, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
By the way, if anybody tells you that scousers rob you blind, do us a favor, tell them to go fuck themselves.

What do you mean?? Ram Raidings and reversing back out of the shops part of the driving test in Liverpool.:p :p

Shaun Ponsonby
05-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Where exactly are you from, Don?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-08-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm gonna guess Newcastle.

Don Corleone
05-08-2005, 12:17 PM
That's very, very close Shaun.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Sunderland?