PDA

View Full Version : Thug Pop

WARF
05-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Thug Pop is IMO, the standout DLR track from Diamond Dave.
However, I still have mixed feelings for this song.
It starts off with a classic riff, and continues through the second verse and chorus flawlessly, then after a couple minutes... the song takes a bizarre turn... and mellows out... and loses it momentum... and it seems like the song never catches fire again.

Needless to say, I still think it's one the best songs on the album.... alongside SOUL KITCHEN and SHOO BOP.

WARF
05-02-2005, 10:07 PM
I still voted classic anyways.... atleast for the first two minutes of the song!

Terry
05-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Thug Pop stood out from all the others on Diamond Dave by a mile, agreed. Kind of meanders at the end, sure, but can't say I was that thrilled with the covers on that album, either.

Terms of Dave solo, stuff in the Eat 'Em and Smile/DLR Band mode has always buttered my bread, so easy to understand why Thug Pop was right up there for me.

WARF
05-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Wasn't thug pop supposedly an outtake from the 1998 DLR Band album?

WARF
05-02-2005, 10:12 PM
I hate to say it, but the beatles cover was possibly the worst song DLR has done in his entire career.

coke
05-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by WARF
I hate to say it, but the beatles cover was possibly the worst song DLR has done in his entire career.

That Album with that song on it isn't worth $1

:rolleyes:

WARF
05-02-2005, 10:21 PM
How much for a gram?

Seshmeister
05-02-2005, 10:26 PM
It's obviously a song that didn't make it to the DLR Band album.

It's pretty sad that it's getting to the point where it's the highlight of the last album...

Terry
05-02-2005, 10:26 PM
First I've heard about Thug Pop being a DLR Band outtake. Would have to check the songwriting credits to be sure, but thought Dave wrote it with Brian Young, and those two didn't hook up until long after the DLR Band album was released. Unless Roth wrote it with Lowery

Yep, Diamond Dave hasn't exactly been growing on me, either. 1998s the DLR Band was such a great return to form for Dave, 'specially considering his last solo studio effort prior to that was YFLM, which grew on me after a while...but it wasn't an easy first listen with that.

Biggest disappointment with Diamond Dave, even beyond the amount of covers, were including things like Act One and Medicine Man, which may have seemed like a good idea in the studio after a few bonghits, but for me represented two disposable tracks. I mean, love ya' Dave, but lay off the filler next time you put out a release.

squib
05-02-2005, 10:27 PM
I still like the DD album, you sometimes have to take things for what they are not for what they are not.

As far as Thug Pop, it is not one of my favorites, and it does sound more like an outt take from a different place in time

coke
05-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

It's pretty sad that it's getting to the point where it's the highlight of the last album...

Desperate Times, Desperate Measures

:rolleyes:

What Career? :confused:

DlocRoth
05-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Great fuckin avatar, squib...

DlocRoth
05-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Oh, and Thug Pop rocks....

Roguesgirl
05-03-2005, 02:21 AM
I like it. :)

WOAHYEAH
05-03-2005, 03:05 AM
GREAT song, cant get enough of it!

Aww-right! Lets goto the back! Whoo!

and

"When the ressurection comes, ther'll be a two drink minimum"

Fuck yeah!

This should replace Shoo Bop on the tour

WOAHYEAH
05-03-2005, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
Great fuckin avatar, squib...

Agreed! Got a bigger version of it?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-03-2005, 04:12 AM
I love the Diamond Dave album. It's an excellent party record. Last 2 parties we've, we played Diamond Dave about 4 times!!!

Thug Pop is excellent.

Calderone
05-03-2005, 10:27 AM
its not a dlrband leftover

Funkmonkey
05-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Thug Pop puts that dip in my hip and that glide in my stride, keeping it real since boogie was invented. With classic lines like, "When the resurrection comes, there'll be a two drink minimum.", this could be none other than Diamond Dave in turbo drive.

As for the musical composition, I want everyone to do a little homework for your dear ol' Uncle Funkmonkey: Play Led Zepplin's "Trampled Under Foot" then play Diamond Dave's "Thug Pop".

Discuss. Discuss.

Oh, and...

...eek!

hard rock
05-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Thug pop is a hard one to nail down for me. I love the music and lyrics but the vocal perfomance ruins it for me. Dave`s voice sounds strained and forced.

Then a tune like Let it all hang out, is not typical Slamdunk in your face with a little bit o Romeo delight flavour but his vocals sound awesome in those lower registers these days.

i give it a classic for sound and lyrics but outtake on the vocals. maybe if they played the song in a lower key he would not have to strain and hit the high notes so often?

FORD
05-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by WARF
Wasn't thug pop supposedly an outtake from the 1998 DLR Band album?

It was definitely written then, since Lowery gets co-writing credit. But it was recorded with the Brian/James/Ray lineup.

All the recordings were current except for the last two songs "ICM 95" and "Bad Habits" which were "rarities" from the mid-90's Vegas period.

rikredbrain
05-03-2005, 06:41 PM
aye but isnt that the ethos of the 'diamond dave' album a collection of stuff that turns him on ..... he mentions sorting somthing like this out in his book..... and thug pop is him saying yeah i can still rock it..

and also didnt james lomenzo say at somepoint that when they recorded all that stuff there were a hell of a lot of originals that he liked but roth put mostly covers on... or did i dream that?

diamond dave is a patchy album.. but on a whole i like it.... the first half is cool... i agree about 'act one' being pure filler and i skip that one and the beatles one (which lets be honest was a bit crap when the beatles did it) but shoo bop soul kitchen i,c,m 95 and loads more were tops......

and i aint said 'tops' for years so obviously i mean it..... lol

cwsmith17
05-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by hard rock
Thug pop is a hard one to nail down for me. I love the music and lyrics but the vocal perfomance ruins it for me. Dave`s voice sounds strained and forced.

Then a tune like Let it all hang out, is not typical Slamdunk in your face with a little bit o Romeo delight flavour but his vocals sound awesome in those lower registers these days.

i give it a classic for sound and lyrics but outtake on the vocals. maybe if they played the song in a lower key he would not have to strain and hit the high notes so often?

I can't wait to see Dave this summer and really see if he

has got his super-sonic scream back!! However, I really doubt it!!

Last_Child
05-05-2005, 04:14 PM
It's a damn graate song!

Loons The Great
05-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Law'd Law'd Law'd...Law'd Hab Mercy I likes that nah!!...Thug Pop...a lil' Trampled Underfoot riff owl low gee nah nah...this tune should be worked up live in front of yer...nekkid steamin' ize nah...Sho' Nuff' nah...awwww reep-a...Well well well...

Anonymous
05-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Actually, I believe that the highlight from DD were Ice Cream Man - even though it's 95 - the first two, BAD HABITS and as WARF very well pointed out, Soul Kitchen. Not so sure about Shoo Bop, though. Love the song, but wouldn't call it 'highlight'.

Cheers! :bottle: