PDA

View Full Version : TONY IOMMI: 'BLACK SABBATH Used To Jam With LED ZEPPELIN All The Time'

Hardrock69
05-03-2005, 01:25 PM
In a head-to-head Sirius Satellite Radio interview with "Sound of the Beast" author Ian Christe, BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi exclusively reveals this week that he has studio tapes of BLACK SABBATH jamming with LED ZEPPELIN during the mid-1970s.

"BLACK SABBATH used to jam with LED ZEPPELIN all the time." reports the Birmingham-born Iommi. "We'd be trying to rehearse and they'd come interrupt us. I've got some tapes floating around the house." During the exceptional in-depth session Iommi also reveals stories of having John Bonham serve as best man at his raucous first wedding, being chastised by Bill Ward's mom after setting her son on fire, his early days playing Buddy Holly cover songs in the 1960s, receiving a Gibson SG from Leslie West, and the desire to record new BLACK SABBATH material.

The interview airs twice this week (Tuesday, May 3 at 9:00 p.m. EST and Friday, May 6 at 1:00 p.m. EST) on Sirius "Hard Attack"/27's weekly "Bloody Roots" heavy metal history lesson, hosted by Christe. The show will also include rare SABBATH demo tracks, and two songs from the upcoming Iommi solo album, "Fused".

For more information, visit www.sirius.com/hardattack.

Matt White
05-03-2005, 01:40 PM
LED SABBATH?!?!?

BLACK ZEPPELIN?!?

Now that would rock!!!

Vinnie Velvet
05-03-2005, 01:52 PM
I read about this some time ago.

Bill Ward didn't want Bonham to sit at his drum kit!

bueno bob
05-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I think there was some mention of it on "The Black Sabbath Story" VHS tapes that came out around '92 or '93...or maybe I read the same interview...Bill said John would always fuck with his set up and he never liked it...lol...

It'd be nice if some of those things ever surfaced, but I'd highly doubt it...those things are probably nice and sealed up inside a tight ass vault that makes Fort Knox look like child's play by comparison, Sabbath's been INSANELY tight about their basement shit over the last 35 years.

BrownSound1
05-03-2005, 06:52 PM
I've heard there is a bootleg of Bonham playing with Sabbath on Iron Man...best drums they probably ever had in that band. LOL

Robert Plant talked about knowing Ozzy since time began, and how he went down and ragged on Ozzy..telling him that his band was better than Ozzy's. (Plant had just joined Led Zeppelin) This was done jokingly..according to Plant.

Terry
05-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Sabbath jamming with Zep would be something I'd want to hear. What the fuck, Tony? Start putting that shit out!!

ZamboniMan
05-04-2005, 11:31 AM
No kidding...Iommi and Page playing on the same song would be awesome.

bueno bob
05-04-2005, 12:15 PM
There's no doubt about it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't know whose decision all that boils down to, but there may be legalities...lets not forget that Sabbath signed virtually everything that was placed in front of them until 1984 or so and it royally fucked them over time and again...my point is that there may be some sort of contractual thing about basement tapes, demos, unreleased cuts, and so forth...maybe the reason we haven't seen any of this shit is because Tony doesn't want the big wigs behind NEMS or Arden or anyone else to have their hands on any of the profits (let alone ALL the profits)...I'm guessing, of course, but the reasons could be numerous.

Vinnie Velvet
05-04-2005, 12:18 PM
I bet Sharon Osbourne has got to have something to do with old Sabbath material as well.

bueno bob
05-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
I bet Sharon Osbourne has got to have something to do with old Sabbath material as well.

I would not at all put it past her.

Fuckin' Yoko Osbourne.

Hardrock69
05-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Shit...all he has to do is have someone transfer to digital, then release as a bootleg...no royalties, no legalities, etc.

:D

Hardrock69
05-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Shit...I just now realized something! :eek:

the guy who interviewed Tony is an acquaintance of mine...he wrote "Sound Of The Beast....The Complete Headbanging History Of Heavy Metal..

And two of my photos from the Van Halen/Black Sabbath concert Sept. 29, 1978 in Seattle are in the book.

mentalpancake
06-24-2005, 01:05 AM
Led Zeppelin + Black Sabbath?

That is the greatest thing ever. Too bad no one will ever get to hear it.:(