PDA

View Full Version : Reviewers Hail CREAM REUNION CONCERT...

Rikk
05-03-2005, 05:18 PM
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/05/03/e050305A.jpg
Eric Clapton onstage with Cream

LONDON (AP) - Reviewers hailed the reunion of rock supergroup Cream, though they found it hard to resist comments about the advanced age of the performers and the audience.

Eric Clapton, 60, Jack Bruce, 61, and Ginger Baker, 65, pulled a full house at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday night, where the top tickets were officially selling for $236 US and were being offered for resale at up to $3,220 US. The band simply walked on stage unannounced and dug into I'm So Glad. After two more songs, each received with a standing ovation, Clapton said. "Thanks for waiting all those years!"

"We'll probably play everything we know - we'll play as long as we can," he told the crowd.

The cheering continued in Tuesday's review columns.

"They were never less than good, often brilliant, occasionally inspired," David Cheal wrote in The Daily Telegraph. "And they got better as the night went on."

The group played its farewell concert at the Albert Hall on Nov. 26, 1968, and most of the audience dated from that era.

"The atmosphere is less like a rock concert than a corporate hospitality tent at Wimbledon. Paunchy men in sports jackets clink ice in gin and tonics, and mumsy ladies fan themselves with pricey souvenir programs," Alex Petridis wrote in The Guardian.

Petridis found the performance a pale shadow of Cream's brief glory years.

"You get a brief glimpse of what the fuss was about during Rollin' and Tumblin', when Bruce abandons his bass guitar in favour of a harmonica, and Clapton and Baker churn out a frantic, clattering riff," Petridis wrote.

The same tune wowed Cheal.

"Rollin' and Tumblin', with Bruce on harmonica, was sensational, an express train of a song, hurtling along with purpose, power and unstoppable momentum. For the first of many occasions during the evening, I had to sit, blink, look around the stage and remind myself that I was watching Cream at the Albert Hall - and they were very, very good," Cheal wrote.

"Inevitably, they were a diminished version of their former selves. ... They are not young men, and they were not playing, as they once did, as if their lives depended on it," Cheal said.

David Sinclair of The Times also found the group more subdued.

"Instead they played with a newfound economy of effort that worked to best advantage on some of their more out-of-the-way, pop-flavoured songs including Deserted Cities of the Heart and a surprise inclusion of Pressed Rat And Warthog, the lysergic nursery rhyme narrated by Baker in his cockney growl," Sinclair wrote.

Cream scheduled three more Albert Hall dates on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday - all sold out.

Bill Lumbergh
05-03-2005, 05:48 PM
I love Cream's stuff, but I just can't get excited about this. Clapton has been playing half assed for about 30 years now...........that said, can I get a setlist?!

Rikk
05-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Lemme see if I can dig a set list up.

Whether or not Clapton's solo stuff has been shite, I have no doubt they played with some menace. The only real question I have is why they're doing this now, almost 40 years later? Where did the motivation come from? This ain't a full reunion tour or anything (though maybe they will do that). They claim this is just the four gigs and that's it. (Plus a DVD within the year...)

Bill Lumbergh
05-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Wonder how much they're getting for those 4 dates...........

Bill Lumbergh
05-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Or is this some charity thing for Claptons drug clinic(or whatever that is...)

Don Corleone
05-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Seeing them in 2 nights time

lucky wilbury
05-03-2005, 06:39 PM
you know they'll put out a dvd of these shows

Rikk
05-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone

YOU LUCKY MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

BrownSound1
05-03-2005, 06:56 PM
It's been a long time since Clapton played straight ahead guitar rock...this reunion is a good thing. I just know that it'll stir some shit in him that he hasn't done in years.

Wish he would break out with a '61 Les Paul. :D

Rikk
05-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Didn't he use an SG in the CREAM days?

Hardrock69
05-03-2005, 10:49 PM
YEs...the psychedelic one....

Don Corleone...you lucky motherfucker....

Yes they will release a CD and DVD. I will get that for sure.

Sure would be nice if they could tour the US...

FORD
05-04-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Lemme see if I can dig a set list up.

Whether or not Clapton's solo stuff has been shite, I have no doubt they played with some menace. The only real question I have is why they're doing this now, almost 40 years later? Where did the motivation come from? This ain't a full reunion tour or anything (though maybe they will do that). They claim this is just the four gigs and that's it. (Plus a DVD within the year...)

From what I've heard on the radio this morning, they decided to do this now because they may not get another chance. These guys are all in their 60's now, and apparently Ginger's getting arthritis, which isn't a good thing for anybody to have, let alone a drummer. And I think they said Jack Bruce wasn't doing too well either, so they decided to do this set of shows in England. I'd love to see them live if given the opportunity. Maybe they can play a double bill with the "Sort Of Queen" tour?

BrownSound1
05-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Didn't he use an SG in the CREAM days?

That's actually a Les Paul. Gibson dropped the body style that is most associated with the Les Paul, and the SG was born...but it was called the Les Paul.

Roy Munson
05-05-2005, 12:52 PM
I wanted to see him play his red ES-335 into a Marshall.

scottd1984
05-05-2005, 06:33 PM

Hey,Don can you give us a review after you see them(possibly?) And I'm just slightly jealous of you right now bud, enjoy yourself!!

Don Corleone
05-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by scottd1984
enjoy yourself!!

I did. I'm going to catch some sleep (went clubbing afterwrds and just got back), then I'll post a review for you all. To give you something to go off, it was an awesome show. All the guys played brilliantly, most of the songs were there and there were plenty of solos (as you'd expect from Cream).

BrownSound1
05-09-2005, 05:34 PM
So far I've heard some great things about the shows, but I'm still waiting to hear what Don has to say.

Hecubus
05-12-2005, 11:57 PM
I'd have given my left nut to be there.

Can't wait for the DEE VEE DEE.

Mr Grimsdale
05-13-2005, 04:42 AM

Originally po4sted by Rikk
YOU LUCKY MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

that was never proven

you won't get it to stand up in court