PDA

View Full Version : Just Seen Queen

Don Corleone
05-03-2005, 06:30 PM
I'll post a full revier later (when I can speak and hear again), but for those who are wondering they were fucking awesome. All the hits were played I shook hands with both Brian May and Paul Rodgers.

FORD
05-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Did you record it, by any chance?

So far all the boots of this tour have sucked royally. I wish the guys who have been taping the U2 tour could go to one of these shows and show them how it's done.

Panamark
05-04-2005, 05:47 AM
Way to go, Don !

Shaun Ponsonby
05-04-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm off there tonight. Just listening to an interview with Roger Taylor.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Support act?

Vinnie Velvet
05-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Cool!

Waiting for the review.....

Don Corleone
05-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Support act?

None, just 2 hours 20 minutes of Queen

Don Corleone
05-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Okay, here we go. I guess a good spot is at the begining of the show. Tonight there was no support act, so what we got was around 2 hours 20 minutes of pure Queen. From the moment the lights went down, and Eminem's Loose Yourself blasted out, you knew this was going to be good (especially as May blasted a few chords at the end). Then the next thing you know Paul Rodger is standing on a cat walk in the middle of the crowd as the band rips into Tie your Mother Down.

Set List: This is as I remember it, and there maybe holes in it (I wasn't sitting making notes at the time)

Paul Rodgers vocal intro
Tie your mother down
A little bit of love
I want to break free
Fat bottomed girls
Crazy little thing called love
Seagull (Roger Taylor)
'39 (Brian May alone)
Love of my Life (Brian May alone on 2 stools. One for him, and an empty one for Freddy)
Hammer to fall
Roger Taylor Drum Solo
Brighton rock (Brian May snapped a string)
These are the days of our lives (Roger Taylor on vocals)
Radio Ga Ga (Roger Taylor on vocals then Paul Rodgers joins)
Can't get enough of your love
I'm in love with my car (Roger Taylor on vocals and drums)
I want it all (Brian May on vocals)
A kind of magic
Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury on vocals and piano)
The Show must go on
Feel like making love
All right now
We will rock you
We are the champions
God Save The Queen

The band were tight, and played really well. It's important to point out here that Queen with Paul Rodgers were not trying to be the same band as they were with Freddy Mercury. As for Paul Rodgers, he was a good fit, and in that I don't just mean he did alright, I mean he fitted in period. His voice is at times similar to Freddy's, however he doesn't have Freddy's range, but he wasn't trying to be Freddy. However the reason for Pauls ever present smile is in no small part due to his very tight face lift.

Brian used his Red Specials all night, with his usual back drop of Vox AC30's. He had a rack in the background, but I couldn't make out what he had in it (this wasn't for want of trying though)

All in all it was a great night, and at the end of the tour I believe that a decision will be made wether or not to tour the US. If they come over then catch them.

Rikk
05-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Holy fucking shit! Thanks, Don.

Well, I will definitely try and catch 'em if they come here. I can't say I really think it's QUEEN, but it sounds like a great show!:)

Please post a review of the CREAM show when you see it, DON.

Don Corleone
05-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Please post a review of the CREAM show when you see it, DON.

Will do. That show's tomorrow night, so I'll get a review posted Friday/Saturday

Rikk
05-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I have to say, that will be a truer reunion. But I love both bands.

Think about it...you're going to see the original CREAM...one of the most important bands in the 20th century. And you're seeing the full original line-up... Wow.

Hardrock69
05-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Lucky muffukker....

;)

Bill Lumbergh
05-05-2005, 03:07 AM
You didnt see Queen..........

Rikk
05-05-2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
You didnt see Queen..........

You're just bitter cuz George Michael wasn't there this time...;)

Bill Lumbergh
05-05-2005, 04:03 AM
That George Queen single was hard rock at its finest..........We all need Somebody to Love Rikk.........isnt that why you keep sending Nick love letters and flowers every day?!

Rikk
05-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
That George Queen single was hard rock at its finest..........We all need Somebody to Love Rikk.........isnt that why you keep sending Nick love letters and flowers every day?!

HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT THAT?:mad:

NICK and I have been trying to keep this a secret! And you just open your big mouth about it!:mad:

God, I hate you, BILL. I hate you so much, it makes me so angry!:mad: What a horrible day it was, the day you joined the Pen.:mad:

Bill Lumbergh
05-05-2005, 04:09 AM
I got more dirt on you than Fab has on her crusty ass, bro. You're lucky I havent posted the pics of your "business trip" to Bermuda with Matt, Bob, a cardboard cut-out of Ron Jeremy, a case of wine coolers, and three bottles of lotion............we all know guwapo was the TRUE brains behind the Pen!!!!!! He was so horrible, he made the rest of us look like Chris Rock...........

Rikk
05-05-2005, 04:15 AM
Ah, fine. But if you post one single Bermuda pic (especially the world-famous Matt and Rikk each take a side of the Ron Jeremy cut-out and break it in the process pic), I will post pics of your "weekend with GUWAPO". You think I didn't know about that??

I know all about it. I remember that you didn't PM me back for two weeks after GUWAPO left the Pen. He may have been so utterly stupid and sick, but he was lovesick for you, you big lug. And to think: you guys ended up breaking up because he shaved his goatee and lost his "new Milennium George Michael look".

And quit asking me to bring GUWAPO back, because it's never gonna happen.

As for crusty asses and FAB...let's just say I know for a fact that you bought eyeglasses from her.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-05-2005, 12:28 PM
FFFFUUUUCCCCKKKKKK!!!!

What a fucking show!

Manchester was unbelievable. The atmosphere was like nothing I've ever felt before. I'm still on an adrenaline rush. FUCK!

The icing on the cake was when PETER KAY and PADDY came on stage and sang the theme tune to Max & Paddy's Road To Nowhere and the a bit of AMARILLO.

SET LIST

INTRO
Paul Rodgers vocal intro (Reachin' Out)
Tie your mother down (PR)
I want to break free (PR/CROWD)
Fat bottomed girls (PR)
Wishing Well (PR)
Crazy little thing called love (PR)
Say It's Not True (RT)
'39 (BM)
Love of my Life (BM)
Hammer to fall (Fast/Slow/Interesting) (BM/RT)
Let There Be Drums
I'm In Love With My Car (RT)
Guitar Solo
Last Horizan (Brian's solo instrumental CLASSIC)
These are the days of our lives (RT) (Images of Fred, huge cheers and a few tears)
Radio Ga Ga (RT/PR)
Can't get enough of your love (PR)
I want it all (BM)
A kind of magic (PR)
Bohemian Rhapsody (FM on screen [tears again]/ PR heavy part)

ENCORES

PETER KAY/PADDY
Under Pressure ("We only did this in soundcheck, we thought it was better to play Under Pressure badly rather than not play it at all"-Brian)(BM/RT/CROWD)
All right now (PR)
We will rock you (PR)
We are the champions (PR)
God Save The Queen (Fred with crown from Wembley on screen)
Track 13

Awestruck.
Loved every minute-but was choking up when Fred came on screen.

GET TO HYDE PARK.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-05-2005, 04:38 PM
REVIEW FROM NEWCASTLE (DON'T KNOW WHERE FROM)

Queen + Paul Rodgers: Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. 03.05.2005

20:30. the waiting was over. Darkness fell and through the P.A system an alternate version of the track known as ‘Track 13’ from the Made In Heaven album played. This was then coupled with Eminem’s ‘Lose Yourself’. Then Paul Rodgers appeared at the end of the catwalk singing the opening lines to ‘Reaching Out’. Brian May glided through the curtain and began playing the opening riffs of Tie Your Mother Down’. The lights go up, the curtain falls and the Queen machine finally rolls into the UK. The audience goes wild to this seasoned Queen opener.

A varied selection of well known Queen tracks are then performed by all lead vocalists Paul Rodgers, Brian May and Roger Taylor which include such classics as;’’ ‘Hammer To Fall’, ‘Fat Bottomed Girls’, ‘Radio Ga Ga’ and with a little help from Freddie via a huge backdrop video screen – ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’.

Paul Rodgers also get’s ample chance to showcase his own tracks singing classic tracks like; ‘Wishing Well’ and ‘All Right Now’. They even attempt an impromptu version of ‘Sunshine Of Your Love’, but decide to quit, as they hadn’t rehearsed it enough, which gives an insight of what may appear in the future.

A stunning stage show, great songs you can all sing along to with the right amount to respect and acknowledgement to both Freddie Mercury and John Deacon.

The last time Roger & Brian were at Newcastle was back in 1998 promoting their last solo albums, an astonishing seven years ago. I do hope it’s not another seven years or thereabouts for their much wanted return.

Joe Halliday