PDA

View Full Version : Alleged al-Qaida No. 3 arrested in Pakistan

lucky wilbury
05-04-2005, 12:40 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7732035/

Alleged al-Qaida No. 3 arrested in Pakistan
Bush hails capture; U.S. officials say Libyan may know bin Laden's whereabouts
Pakistan's Interior Ministry on Wednesday released this undated photo of Abu Faraj al-Libbi, the alleged al-Qaida commander now under arrest.
NBC News and news services
Updated: 12:31 p.m. ET May 4, 2005

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - The man thought to be al-Qaida's operations commander, and who might know where Osama bin Laden is hiding, has been arrested in Pakistan, the government announced Wednesday.

The arrest of Abu Farraj al-Libbi, a Libyan who is also wanted in two attempts to assassinate Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf, is seen by U.S. officials as significant because of his alleged control over the daily operations of al-Qaida.

President Bush called the arrest a "critical victory in the war on terrorism."

In Pakistan, Information Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed said that "this arrest gives us a lot of tips, and I can only say that our security agencies are on the right track" in the search for bin Laden.

U.S. officials tell NBC that al-Libbi might know at least the general whereabouts of bin Laden because part of his responsibility was to manage the courier networks delivering messages, video and audiotapes.

A government-released photo taken after al-Libbi's arrest shows a disheveled, bearded man with sunken eyes and an apparent a skin condition. In an earlier Pakistani "Most Wanted" poster photo, al-Libbi looked healthy and was dressed in a Western-style suit and tie.

$10 million reward cited

Interior Minister Aftab Khan Sherpao said the U.S. government was offering a $10 million bounty for information leading to al-Libbi’s arrest, though al-Libbi does not appear to be on the FBI’s list of the globe’s most-wanted terrorists.

Sherpao would not speculate on whether the arrest might help lead to the capture of bin Laden or his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, who have eluded a 3½-year dragnet since the Sept. 11 attacks.

“We have no information” about the al-Qaida leaders, he said. “It’s premature to say (whether al-Libbi’s arrest will help track them down), but definitely interrogation is going to take place.”

Sherpao said it was also too early to comment on whether al-Libbi might be turned over to the United States, but he stressed there were important cases pending against him in Pakistan.

Al-Qaida's number 3?

According to U.S. officials, al-Libbi is thought to have become al-Qaida's operations commander after the capture of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in March 2003. Mohammed was later handed over to U.S. custody and his whereabouts are unknown.

The operations commander is thought to be third in line at al-Qaida after bin Laden and al-Zawahiri. Al-Libbi is also alleged to have earlier been Mohammed's deputy and to have had a role in planning the Sept. 11 attacks.

Al-Libbi was arrested earlier this week, Ahmed said, but he would provide no details on where al-Libbi was captured or where he is being held.

But three Pakistani intelligence sources said al-Libbi was one of two foreigners arrested Monday after a firefight on the outskirts of Mardan, 30 miles north of Peshawar, capital of the deeply conservative North West Frontier Province.

11 more arrests

One of the officials said 11 more terror suspects — including three Uzbeks, an Afghan and seven Pakistanis — were arrested before dawn Wednesday in the Bajor tribal region. The official would not say what prompted authorities to launch the raid or whether it was linked to al-Libbi’s capture.

The intelligence officials said authorities were led to al-Libbi’s hideout by a tip that foreigners had been spotted in the area. The suspect was held overnight at a military facility in Mardan, then transferred by helicopter to the capital, Islamabad, the officials said.

Al-Libbi reportedly spent time in South Waziristan, a tribal region along the border with Afghanistan that is considered a likely hideout for bin Laden. But he fled following a series of military operations in the area last year. Authorities had said privately in recent weeks that they believed they were zeroing in on his location.

Al-Libbi is accused of masterminding two bombings against Musharraf in December 2003. The military leader escaped injury but 17 others were killed in one of the attacks.

Musharraf, a key ally in the U.S.-led war on terrorism, named the Libyan as the chief suspect in the bombings against him. He was among six suspects identified as Pakistan’s “Most Wanted Terrorists” in a poster campaign last year.

The other suspects were all Pakistanis, linked to Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, a Sunni Muslim militant group believed tied to al-Qaida.

Another suspect killed earlier
One of the suspects, Amjad Hussain Farooqi, was killed in a shootout with security forces in southern Pakistan in September.

Farooqi, a senior member of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, was accused of plotting the bombings against Musharraf with al-Libbi and of involvement in the kidnapping and beheading of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in Karachi in 2002.

Pakistan has arrested hundreds of terror suspects since Musharraf ended the country’s support of the Taliban regime in neighboring Afghanistan after the Sept. 11 attacks on America.

It has handed over about 700 al-Qaida suspects to the United States, including Mohammed, Sept. 11 planner Ramzi Binalshibh and al-Qaida senior operative Abu Zubaydah.

lucky wilbury
05-04-2005, 12:52 PM
a pic

American Gypsy
05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Skin & eyes; Micheal Jackson.
the rest; Assault rifle butt.

DrMaddVibe
05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Well according to Nicky's other post...most American's polled by CNN don't care!

Nick doesn't even think there's any coorelation.

Look...his head is still on his shoulders! Fit him up for a leash.

I bet the Germans had nothing to do with his capture!

Nickdfresh
05-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Well according to Nicky's other post...most American's polled by CNN don't care!

Nick doesn't even think there's any coorelation.

Look...his head is still on his shoulders! Fit him up for a leash.

I bet the Germans had nothing to do with his capture!

The poll was about the Iraqi War ASSVIBE, not Al-Qaida! Try to pay attention.

Darrin
05-04-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Million. Arrest George Bush and charge him, send me and Dave the 10 Million and meet us at a local strip club. The information
you will receive there is about as good at you'll get from the press
or the government. Come on... You must be young. Because if
your not living at home with momma your probably fucking going
broke like the rest of us, because of the people..You'll never meet
or see. Dude, I appreciate your worldly concerns. I am still awaiting
for Iraq, SriLanka, Bosnia and alot of others to send me a check
for the fucking hurricanes we suffered. Mail box is empty, wallet
is getting there fast. Still got RNR. Les Paul is read to eat the rich,
Marshalls are glowing and inside it's snowing. Relax let The Whiskey Take You Home. At least you'll have something to grab on to during
your time of... false motherhood of the earth. Keep rocking, turn off
the TV.

Guitar Shark
05-04-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm glad this guy was captured. Of course, the story glosses over the fact that Pakistan, not the U.S., was the country that captured him. Yet Bush is happy to claim the credit.

Nickdfresh
05-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Darrin
10 Million. Arrest George Bush and charge him, send me and Dave the 10 Million and meet us at a local strip club. The information
you will receive there is about as good at you'll get from the press
or the government. Come on... You must be young. Because if
your not living at home with momma your probably fucking going
broke like the rest of us, because of the people..You'll never meet
or see. Dude, I appreciate your worldly concerns. I am still awaiting
for Iraq, SriLanka, Bosnia and alot of others to send me a check
for the fucking hurricanes we suffered. Mail box is empty, wallet
is getting there fast. Still got RNR. Les Paul is read to eat the rich,
Marshalls are glowing and inside it's snowing. Relax let The Whiskey Take You Home. At least you'll have something to grab on to during
your time of... false motherhood of the earth. Keep rocking, turn off
the TV.

Holy rambling retard Batman!
http://www.poster.net/batman-tv/batman-tv-series-batman-robin-4000246.jpg

Darrin
05-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Correctomundo. I will now have a little snort and shot for us. You have reinstalled my faith in American's that can fucking read. Read the chalk board in the Hot for Teacher video. Backwards, upside down or what ever..... It's alot like Sammy Hagar's commitment to VH and
well, Eddie's to RNR. By the way, Peavey 5150 Amps suck. For Gods sake save your money and get a Marshall. Don't be a pussy. Two thumbs up for you. Now capture Pam Anderson, I think she may be part of that crew also, I need to cavity search and verify......

Nickdfresh
05-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Correctomundo. I will now have a little snort and shot for us. You have reinstalled my faith in American's that can fucking read. Read the chalk board in the Hot for Teacher video. Backwards, upside down or what ever..... It's alot like Sammy Hagar's commitment to VH and
well, Eddie's to RNR. By the way, Peavey 5150 Amps suck. For Gods sake save your money and get a Marshall. Don't be a pussy. Two thumbs up for you. Now capture Pam Anderson, I think she may be part of that crew also, I need to cavity search and verify......

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc4.jpg

Darrin
05-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Try, retired 39 year old computer engineer with the United States Government specifically, Northrup Grumman Defense Company. And oh I forgot to mention, USAF Vetern PJ (Special Forces) two terms. Been to Iraq, killed thier pathetic excuses for humanity and South America. South America, pretty cool, Iraq, send me a post card let me know how you liked it. Sounds alot like a Sammy candidate here. Talk shit, can't back it. So they got the puke, when's gas going down? Hummmmm

Nickdfresh
05-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Try, retired 39 year old computer engineer with the United States Government specifically, Northrup Grumman Defense Company. And oh I forgot to mention, USAF Vetern PJ (Special Forces) two terms. Been to Iraq, killed thier pathetic excuses for humanity and South America. South America, pretty cool, Iraq, send me a post card let me know how you liked it. Sounds alot like a Sammy candidate here. Talk shit, can't back it. So they got the puke, when's gas going down? Hummmmm

I think you landed on your head without a leather helmet a little too often bro.

It's really difficult to discern your dtream-of-consciousness style of writing. James Joyce had nothing on you.

Darrin
05-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Yea, I did get a Ak47 in the neck, so your probably right. Cool, enough this is RNR. It was weriod, but so is shaved sheep taint.
Thanks for the response, I'll consider it tonight when I take my
meds (Trust Me Not Doctor Prescribed). Have you ever seen Dave live?
I have many times, I have also seen Elvis. It may sound crazy but Dave smoked Elvis, I know I saw it. Mobile, Al 1974. I would like to see Dave get Steve, Greg, and Billy back. They were fucking off the hook. Later.

Nickdfresh
05-04-2005, 06:05 PM
I've seen Dave once in 1984 at the Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, NY.

coke
05-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7732035/

Alleged al-Qaida No. 3 arrested in Pakistan
Bush hails capture; U.S. officials say Libyan may know bin Laden's whereabouts
Pakistan's Interior Ministry on Wednesday released this undated photo of Abu Faraj al-Libbi, the alleged al-Qaida commander now under arrest.
NBC News and news services
Updated: 12:31 p.m. ET May 4, 2005

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - The man thought to be al-Qaida's operations commander, and who might know where Osama bin Laden is hiding, has been arrested in Pakistan, the government announced Wednesday.

The arrest of Abu Farraj al-Libbi, a Libyan who is also wanted in two attempts to assassinate Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf, is seen by U.S. officials as significant because of his alleged control over the daily operations of al-Qaida.

President Bush called the arrest a "critical victory in the war on terrorism."

In Pakistan, Information Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed said that "this arrest gives us a lot of tips, and I can only say that our security agencies are on the right track" in the search for bin Laden.

U.S. officials tell NBC that al-Libbi might know at least the general whereabouts of bin Laden because part of his responsibility was to manage the courier networks delivering messages, video and audiotapes.

A government-released photo taken after al-Libbi's arrest shows a disheveled, bearded man with sunken eyes and an apparent a skin condition. In an earlier Pakistani "Most Wanted" poster photo, al-Libbi looked healthy and was dressed in a Western-style suit and tie.

$10 million reward cited

Interior Minister Aftab Khan Sherpao said the U.S. government was offering a $10 million bounty for information leading to al-Libbi’s arrest, though al-Libbi does not appear to be on the FBI’s list of the globe’s most-wanted terrorists.

Sherpao would not speculate on whether the arrest might help lead to the capture of bin Laden or his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, who have eluded a 3½-year dragnet since the Sept. 11 attacks.

“We have no information” about the al-Qaida leaders, he said. “It’s premature to say (whether al-Libbi’s arrest will help track them down), but definitely interrogation is going to take place.”

Sherpao said it was also too early to comment on whether al-Libbi might be turned over to the United States, but he stressed there were important cases pending against him in Pakistan.

Al-Qaida's number 3?

According to U.S. officials, al-Libbi is thought to have become al-Qaida's operations commander after the capture of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in March 2003. Mohammed was later handed over to U.S. custody and his whereabouts are unknown.

The operations commander is thought to be third in line at al-Qaida after bin Laden and al-Zawahiri. Al-Libbi is also alleged to have earlier been Mohammed's deputy and to have had a role in planning the Sept. 11 attacks.

Al-Libbi was arrested earlier this week, Ahmed said, but he would provide no details on where al-Libbi was captured or where he is being held.

But three Pakistani intelligence sources said al-Libbi was one of two foreigners arrested Monday after a firefight on the outskirts of Mardan, 30 miles north of Peshawar, capital of the deeply conservative North West Frontier Province.

11 more arrests

One of the officials said 11 more terror suspects — including three Uzbeks, an Afghan and seven Pakistanis — were arrested before dawn Wednesday in the Bajor tribal region. The official would not say what prompted authorities to launch the raid or whether it was linked to al-Libbi’s capture.

The intelligence officials said authorities were led to al-Libbi’s hideout by a tip that foreigners had been spotted in the area. The suspect was held overnight at a military facility in Mardan, then transferred by helicopter to the capital, Islamabad, the officials said.

Al-Libbi reportedly spent time in South Waziristan, a tribal region along the border with Afghanistan that is considered a likely hideout for bin Laden. But he fled following a series of military operations in the area last year. Authorities had said privately in recent weeks that they believed they were zeroing in on his location.

Al-Libbi is accused of masterminding two bombings against Musharraf in December 2003. The military leader escaped injury but 17 others were killed in one of the attacks.

Musharraf, a key ally in the U.S.-led war on terrorism, named the Libyan as the chief suspect in the bombings against him. He was among six suspects identified as Pakistan’s “Most Wanted Terrorists” in a poster campaign last year.

The other suspects were all Pakistanis, linked to Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, a Sunni Muslim militant group believed tied to al-Qaida.

Another suspect killed earlier
One of the suspects, Amjad Hussain Farooqi, was killed in a shootout with security forces in southern Pakistan in September.

Farooqi, a senior member of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, was accused of plotting the bombings against Musharraf with al-Libbi and of involvement in the kidnapping and beheading of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in Karachi in 2002.

Pakistan has arrested hundreds of terror suspects since Musharraf ended the country’s support of the Taliban regime in neighboring Afghanistan after the Sept. 11 attacks on America.

It has handed over about 700 al-Qaida suspects to the United States, including Mohammed, Sept. 11 planner Ramzi Binalshibh and al-Qaida senior operative Abu Zubaydah.

Paki Government = Puppet Government of USA Republican Government

Case Closed.

Osama Bin Laden = Ex US Lacky

Saddam Hussein = Ex US Lacky

Nickdfresh
05-05-2005, 03:28 PM
More raids, arrests in Pakistan

Thursday, May 5, 2005 Posted: 7:07 AM EDT (1107 GMT)

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (Reuters) -- Pakistani security forces have rounded up about two dozen suspected al Qaeda members using information from the third in command of the network who was arrested early this week, officials said on Thursday.

Officials told Reuters that Abu Faraj al-Libbi, who U.S. counter-terrorism agents say became al Qaeda operations chief and third in command two years ago, could also provide leads to the whereabouts of leader Osama bin Laden and his deputy Ayman al-Zawahri.

Al Libbi's capture was announced late on Wednesday, and he has been brought to Rawalpindi, the garrison town close to Islamabad, for questioning.

"Raids are being carried out in several cities after his interrogation," a Pakistani intelligence official said.

However, some officials doubted whether al Libbi's arrest would have been trumpeted if security forces were hot on the trail of two of the world's most wanted men. Security analysts thought likewise.

"Osama bin Laden will be as insulated as anyone could be. Today we don't know whether he is dead or alive," retired Brigadier Shaukat Qadir, a security analyst, told Reuters.

There were varying versions of when and where Libbi was run to ground, but the most detailed account was given by a policeman in North West Frontier Province and several intelligence sources.

Amanullah Khan, deputy superintendent of police in Mardan, a town 110 km (68 miles) northwest of Islamabad, said Libbi was caught along with four comrades on Monday morning.

Intelligence sources say the militants had been hiding at a shrine on a hilltop on Mardan's outskirts when they were first discovered, but police and security forces cornered them when they fled to a nearby house.

Khan told how tear gas was used to force the men out after they refused to surrender.

"We tried for half-an-hour to 45 minutes but he remained quiet," Khan said. "We tried to break down the door but it was bolted from inside. So, we broke windows and threw a tear gas grenade inside.

"He came out unarmed with hands in the air and his head slightly bowed.

"We found a cell phone on him. He was immediately whisked away by the intelligence agency."

U.S. security officials said they had supplied information that helped track Liby down, but the White House emphasised that Pakistan took the lead in the arrest.

Pakistani security forces followed up their success with several swoops elsewhere in the country.

Raids in Lahore, the capital of the eastern province of Punjab, Peshawar, capital of North West Frontier Province, and the Bajaur tribal area of the NWFP had already netted more than 20 other al Qaeda suspects, officials said.

"In one raid last night, in Lahore, six men and two women were arrested," the official said, adding that automatic rifles and more than three dozen hand grenades were seized.

Intelligence officials say Libbi's association with bin Laden goes back to the jihad, or holy war, that the United States covertly backed against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Pakistan says Libbi whom officials say is a Libyan, was the ringleader of at least two assassination attempts against President Pervez Musharraf in December 2003.

And it was uncertain whether Pakistan, which has handed over hundreds of other al Qaeda members to the United States, would do the same with Libbi.

Before those attacks little was known of Libbi and even though President George W. Bush called him "a top general for bin Laden" when he hailed Pakistan's breakthrough in the war on terror on Wednesday, his mugshot never appeared on the Federal Bureau of Investigation's "most wanted terrorist" list.

But the White House praised Pakistan and called Libbi's arrest the most significant of an al Qaeda leader since that of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who was captured in March 2003 and was the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

"This is a big deal," White House national security adviser Stephen Hadley said.

Al Libbi was a successor to Mohammed -- "in some sense the leadership is a bit constrained, he was not only doing operations, he was a facilitator, he was into finance, he was into administration," Hadley told reporters.

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told reporters that the relevance of Libbi's capture could soon become more apparent.

"I think that over the next couple of days, we will be able to describe that this is a truly significant arrest," she said.

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

40 rebels dead in Afghan battle

Thursday, May 5, 2005 Posted: 4:31 AM EDT (0831 GMT)

(CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/05/05/afghan.fighting/index.html)) -- The bodies of at least 40 insurgents have been found in the aftermath of Tuesday's fighting between attackers and Afghan and U.S. forces. An Afghan police officer also died in the battle.

The U.S.-led military coalition, in a statement issued Wednesday, upped the casualty toll to 40 from 25. The fighting followed "unprovoked attacks" by the insurgents, the military said, and it took place in southeastern Afghanistan near Deh Chopan in Zabul province.

Along with the police officer's death, six U.S. service members, five Afghan National Police officers, and an insurgent were wounded. The military said Wednesday the dead insurgents were a mix of "Taliban and al Qaeda" members.

Forces detained and questioned six suspected insurgents. A village leader had been detained after other villagers said he was a member of the Taliban.

The statement from Tuesday said an Afghan man complained to police that he was beaten up. The man took police and U.S. forces to the spot where he was accosted and the forces "came under small-arms fire."

"Afghan National Army forces and U.S. soldiers operating in the area quickly moved to the site and cordoned off the insurgent forces by use of small-arms fire and support from coalition fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft," the military statement said.

The wounded soldiers were taken to Kandahar Airfield for medical treatment. Two wounded U.S. soldiers returned to duty and the other four were to be transported to Landstuhl Medical Center in Germany for further treatment.