PDA

View Full Version : Soul Kitchen

BenJammin
05-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Listening to it right now.

He did a bang-up [good] job on this vocally. His voice was strong and did the song justice.

....but as Simon Cowell would put it, "it was like karaoke night"

In other words, good job, but the backing music was pretty much a Doors reproduction.

If Dave had worked with Ed and Ted on this, they could have taken this song to new levels, just like they did with 'You Really Got me'.

DlocRoth
05-04-2005, 10:02 PM
It was a total reproduction.

Thats why it kicks ass...

The band used old ass guitars, amps, mics, all of it for that.

canadiandlrgirl
05-05-2005, 01:10 AM
i fucking love that song Dave was smokin' on that tune

EbDawson
05-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I've never been a Doors fan but Dave's version rocks!

Last_Child
05-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I love it!

Loons The Great
05-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Great God Almighty!! That iz whatt I'm talkin'...talkin' loud and sayin' somethin' 'bout yez yez...about nah...well well well...lemme sleep all nite in yo soul kitchen...combustion, baby!!...

DLR82VH
05-10-2005, 05:01 AM
I liked Dave's version alot better than the original........his voice was right there and sounded awesome.

Excellent cover!!!

canadiandlrgirl
05-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by DLR82VH
I liked Dave's version alot better than the original........his voice was right there and sounded awesome.

Excellent cover!!!

I agree!!!!!

bedrockboy
06-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by BenJammin
Listening to it right now.

He did a bang-up [good] job on this vocally. His voice was strong and did the song justice.

....but as Simon Cowell would put it, "it was like karaoke night"

In other words, good job, but the backing music was pretty much a Doors reproduction.

If Dave had worked with Ed and Ted on this, they could have taken this song to new levels, just like they did with 'You Really Got me'.

not a huge fan of this cd in general, but I really liked his rendition of this tune.

Loons The Great
03-30-2006, 07:49 PM
I really, really dig this tune. Not a fan of the keyboard sound because it reminds me of Smashmouth rippin' off and waterin' down the mighty Doors...if Ize jus' listen to the guitar, Ize can get past that, though...it conjurs up some Robby Krieger...I Ain't Lyin'!!!!!!

rustoffa
03-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
I really, really dig this tune. Not a fan of the keyboard sound because it reminds me of Smashmouth rippin' off and waterin' down the mighty Doors...if Ize jus' listen to the guitar, Ize can get past that, though...it conjurs up some Robby Krieger...I Ain't Lyin'!!!!!!

Lately?
I'm wishin' he woulda' covered Peace Frog.
:D

Loons The Great
03-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Lately?
I'm wishin' he woulda' covered Peace Frog.

All Helllll Yeah!! Roth would have put the unk in that funk!!

Loons The Great
03-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Peace Frog
There’s blood in the streets, it’s up to my ankles
She came
There’s blood on the streets, it’s up to my knee
She came
Blood on the streets in the town of chicago
She came
Blood on the rise, it’s following me
Think about the break of day
She came and then she drove away
Sunlight in her hair
She came
Blood in the streets runs a river of sadness
She came
Blood in the streets it’s up to my thigh
She came
Yeah the river runs down the legs of the city
She came
The women are crying red rivers of weepin’
She came into town and then she drove away
Sunlight in her hair
Indians scattered on dawn’s highway bleeding
Ghosts crowd the young child’s fragile eggshell mind
Blood in the streets in the town of new haven
Blood stains the roofs and the palm trees of venice
Blood in my love in the terrible summer
Bloody red sun of phantastic l.a.
Blood streams her brain as they chop off her fingers
Blood will be born in the birth of a nation
Blood is the rose of mysterious union
There’s blood in the streets, it’s up to my ankles
Blood in the streets, it’s up to my knee
Blood in the streets in the town of chicago
Blood on the rise, it’s following me

diamondsgirl
03-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Peace Frog is a cool one....

I'd love to see Roth get down to that

DlocRoth
03-31-2006, 10:53 PM
My fave Doors song....

POJO_Risin
04-01-2006, 01:26 AM
1. Soul Kitchen was a reproduction...

and sorry...it's a song that I don't think Ed and Dave would have "Take to another level." It's a song that needs to stay right where it is...which is why it's still relevent today...

2. Most of you probably know this, or have seen this in the several Doors threads that were started here...Peace Frog is bar none my favorite Doors song...and wouldn't mind hearing Dave's rendition...

but...

still would prefer the original...

MAX
04-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Peace Frog is bar none my favorite Doors song

lmao cos I've NEVER discussed Doors tunes with you. This 'tis great cos it lumps FOUR of us within the same category. I DO know it about DG, Loons and myself cos we've mentioned it many times prior over the years.

Peace Frog 'tis the shit and the BEST Doors tune ever. WOW!!! It just cracks me up cos like I just said, we've never rapped Doors. Anyway, that song 'tis immaculate. ;) lol

Hey Poj,

What do you think of "An American Prayer?" My bro's and I used to take that with us camping in the desert and trip out. Many years back of course. lol

DlocRoth
04-01-2006, 03:07 PM
'Specially with Blue Sunday after....it's perfect.

POJO_Risin
04-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Yo Max...was it you and I that was just talking about my favorite Doors' song?

I remember having a conversation about it previously with someone...

Now I'm thinking it was you...

American Prayer...

You know...

It was camping with us...I did it in High School, and College...and not with any particular Doors song...but usually a tape with us for sure...

We'd pick 2 or 3 three day weekends...and 1 summer 4 day weekend...

The Doors being remade to me...is like VH getting remade...it can't be...because the singer was so unique to the songs...

Roth wrote lyrics specific to HIM...which is why Hagar shakin' his ass against the record machine sounded fucking idiotic.....

and Dave stayed true to Soul Kitchen...which is why I like it...but I couldn't see ANY doors song being remade by Roth in a VH sort of way...

DavidLeeNatra
04-01-2006, 06:51 PM
geeeeeeeez...I hate the doors...but I watched the movie these days on DVD because I was bored and liked it...just don't dig the music...

MAX
04-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey Poj,

I don't remember if you and I have ever spoken Doors prior but I could be wrong? We tend to go on long NFL rants and on from there, so we definitely could've.

Not to embarrass DG but she was tellin' me once this Doors tune that was her fave but had the title wrong. lmao I was like THAT'S "PEACE FROG!!! And it's the BEST Doors tune ever!!!

I couldn't agree more with your Roth/VH and Morrison/Doors comparrisons. I've used the same arguements in the past. I'll say the same about Jagger with The Stones. You take those singers away and I don't care how good the music is and it just doesn't work. They're beyond elemental to what makes/made the aforementioned bands off the map.

Yeah, taking "American Prayer" was MANDITORY when my buddies and I would go mountain biking and camping in the desert. After long days, we'd eat magic mushrooms, drink beers around the fire and listen to Morrison and lots of Doors. See, my friends and I were never the "hippie" type kids. We were more "jocks" but we still digged trippin' out. lol We just listened to cool music and not Grateful Dead and stoner music like that. lol

I also agree about Dave doing "Soul Kitchen" justice. He didn't stray too far from the song's initial vibe. He DID however put a bit of a "Dave" spin (which I happened to love) with the " Yo Kemosabe, here's somethin' that will take you into the spirit world" and it was classic Dave both representing and giving Morrison props. Loved that angle. :cool:

I wouldn't ever wanna hear Dave tackle Doors tunes like "The End, "Five to One" or stuff like that. However, stuff like "Roadhouse Blues" or "Alabama Song" could be cool.

I liked the fact that Dave did the "Diamond Dave" album as a tribute to songs that HE loved singing as he grew up. I never knew he was a Morrison fan? It's cool though that he is and like I've also said many times prior, friggin' Dave and Morrison are BEYOND legendary frontmen and could never be "replaced." Way too much uniqueness from them.

I never listened nor gave a shit to that "Doors 2000" or whatever the fuck they called it with that wannabe Morrison from The Cult, I think? :confused: That's just fucking dumb.

diamondsgirl
04-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by MAX

Not to embarrass DG but she was tellin' me once this Doors tune that was her fave but had the title wrong. lmao I was like THAT'S "PEACE FROG!!! And it's the BEST Doors tune ever!!!

Thanks Max...I am going to jump off a bridge now.:o

I can't imagine why I thought that tune was called "Blood in the Streets"???

silly me... I should have guessed "Peace Frog"...it makes all the sense in the world. LOL. :D

MAX
04-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
Thanks Max...I am going to jump off a bridge now.

Now don't do that cos I know you'd derive a lot more pleasure from throwing me off of one. :p Just make sure you're wearing a tank top before hand. That way and before I perish, I can happily die knowing that a purdy lady with stellar biceps ultimately caused my untimely demise. lol ;)

I can't imagine why I thought that tune was called "Blood in the Streets"???

Dunno? However, I'm pretty sure you were thinking about beating me up or something along those lines when you were listening to the song. :eek:

silly me... I should have guessed "Peace Frog"...it makes all the sense in the world. LOL. :D

Don't feel too badly cos I always thought the song was called "Peace Goat???" :confused: :p

Van Squalen
04-03-2006, 10:10 PM
The 21st Century Doors? Ian Astbury? Gimme a break. No thanks.

However, if Dave and the boys had decided to cover the Doors back in the day.....

I think they could've Halenized Love me Two Times, Roadhouse Blues, Peace Frog (too underrated), LA Woman, Twentieth Century Fox, Back Door Man, and Take it as It Comes.

But yes, there are some Doors songs that simply cannot be covered by anyone else, much like nobody should in their right minds - including the Punks - cover exclusively Davey gravy tunes like Simple Rhyme, Hear About it Later, On Fire, Take Your Whiskey Home, Girl gone Bad, etc.

The End, People are Strange, Waiting for the Sun, Riders on the Storm, Break on Through, Hello I Love You, Texas Radio and the Big Beat, and many others...far too Morrison-esque to replicate.

Van Squalen
04-03-2006, 10:15 PM
BTW, is there a Kinks thread around here? There oughta be. One of CVH's major influences - above and beyond the goddamned cover on the 1st album - in fact, one might argue their 3 greatest influences were Zep, Cream, and the Kinks.

Would've been cool to see Dave and Ed cover Give the People What they Want.... Low Budget...Around the Dial...Attitude...Lola...All Day and All of the Night...

rustoffa
04-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by VanSqualen
BTW, is there a Kinks thread around here? There oughta be. One of CVH's major influences - above and beyond the goddamned cover on the 1st album - in fact, one might argue their 3 greatest influences were Zep, Cream, and the Kinks.

Would've been cool to see Dave and Ed cover Give the People What they Want.... Low Budget...Around the Dial...Attitude...Lola...All Day and All of the Night...

There's one here. (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32654)

I agree...cuntplete riffage from the Davie's bros.

Maybe they'll bust this one out on the BOV5?

Woke up this morning, started to sneeze
I had a cigarette and a cup of tea
I looked in the mirror what did I see
A nine stone weakling with knobbly knees
I did my knees bend press ups touch my toes
I had another sneeze and I blew my nose
I looked in the mirror at my pigeon chest
I had to put on my clothes because it made me depressed
Surely there must be a way
For me to change the shape I'm in
Dissatisfied is what I am
I want to be a better man

Superman Superman wish I could fly like Superman
Superman Superman I want to be like Superman
I want to be like Superman

Woke up this morning, what did I see
A big black cloud hanging over me
I switched on the radio and nearly dropped dead
The news was so bad that I fell out of bed
There was a gas strike, oil strike, lorry strike, bread strike
Got to be a Superman to survive
Gas bills, rent bills, tax bills, phone bills
I'm such a wreck but I'm staying alive

[Look in the paper, what do I see,
Robbery, violence, insanity.]

Hey girl we've got to get out of this place
There's got to be something better than this
I need you, but I hate to see you this way
If I were Superman then we'd fly away
I'd really like to change the world
And save it from the mess it's in
I'm too weak, I'm so thin
I'd like to fly but I can't even swim

Superman Superman I want to fly like Superman

Van Squalen
04-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
There's one here. (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32654)

I agree...cuntplete riffage from the Davie's bros.

Maybe they'll bust this one out on the BOV5?

Woke up this morning, started to sneeze
I had a cigarette and a cup of tea
I looked in the mirror what did I see
A nine stone weakling with knobbly knees
I did my knees bend press ups touch my toes
I had another sneeze and I blew my nose
I looked in the mirror at my pigeon chest
I had to put on my clothes because it made me depressed
Surely there must be a way
For me to change the shape I'm in
Dissatisfied is what I am
I want to be a better man

I want to be like Superman

Woke up this morning, what did I see
A big black cloud hanging over me
I switched on the radio and nearly dropped dead
The news was so bad that I fell out of bed
There was a gas strike, oil strike, lorry strike, bread strike
Got to be a Superman to survive
Gas bills, rent bills, tax bills, phone bills
I'm such a wreck but I'm staying alive

[Look in the paper, what do I see,
Robbery, violence, insanity.]

Hey girl we've got to get out of this place
There's got to be something better than this
I need you, but I hate to see you this way
If I were Superman then we'd fly away
I'd really like to change the world
And save it from the mess it's in
I'm too weak, I'm so thin
I'd like to fly but I can't even swim

A classic. Low Budget's one of their best LPs.

I guess Ray's touring solo these days since Dave had a stroke or something?

Isn't he opening for the Pretenders on their current tour?

BLAZIN' ON A SUNNY AFTERNOON.......

Loons The Great
04-04-2006, 02:12 PM
One of my favourite Kinks tunes nah:

Death Of A Clown

My makeup is dry and it clags on my chin
I’m drowning my sorrows in whisky and gin
The lion tamer’s whip doesn’t crack anymore
The lions they won’t fight and the tigers won’t roar

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
So let’s all drink to the death of a clown
Won’t someone help me to break up this crown
Let’s all drink to the death of a clown

The old fortune teller lies dead on the floor
Nobody needs fortunes told anymore
The trainer of insects is crouched on his knees
And frantically looking for runaway fleas

So won’t someone help me to break up this crown

trueblue
04-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by canadiandlrgirl
i fucking love that song Dave was smokin' on that tune

i always hated the idea of cover songs....Diver Down remains my least fave of CVH albums...And i felt like a flat tire on a highway, when after the superb DLR Band record, i heard of the Diamond Dave cover song fest...I tried my best and failed to bring myself to love this album as i do some other DLR solo stuff..but there's no denying the overall effort is just peerless DLR...He had the guts and musical muscle to pull it off...Hey, i agree about Soul Kitchen..what do u think about Stay While the Night is Young, Shoo Bop and Let It All Hang Out....

audiospectrum
04-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Peace Frog - what album????

DlocRoth
04-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Morrison Hotel.

Loons The Great
04-12-2006, 06:26 AM
I wuz listenin' to The Doors--The Doors jus' the otha day an' Ize gots to say that while I believe...I belieb to my soul that Diamond Dave knocked one out of the park with Soul Kitchen...I still likes the original mo' bettah nah...an' that's the fact, jack...got jack?...