PDA

View Full Version : The best music DVDs

Mr Badguy
01-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Did anyone get any DVD for Chrimbo?

I did.

I`m starting to get anice little collection now.

I think it is a good idea for anyone who gets DVD to tell others what they are like, seeing as it is a very new medium.

A good one that I got was Kiss "Kiss my ass", which I think was out on video before.

It is a must for any kiss fan as it contains a load of archive footage featuring the original band from the 70`s.

I had to get it when I saw it advertised.

Panamark
01-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Fuck it must have been a "Kiss" Christmas. I got "Kiss Symphony". I thought the Audio track could have been a bit better, video editing was a bit over the top, (crowd shots every few seconds). But I really enjoyed it. The only other crticism is that Ace Frehley was absent. But if you like Kiss, this would make a very worthy addition to the DVD collection.
The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (led by David Campbell) actually did a great job. (All in Kiss Makeup) An example of how to do it properly as opposed to that shitty S&M effort of Metallica's where the orchestra drowned and killed the songs.
With the exception of maybe two songs the MSO complimented the band. They actually play three sets, one with just the band, then a kind of unplugged set with some minimal backing, then the finale with the full orchestra.

You watch these kiss fuckers (who would have to be older than VH), and it makes you realize what could and should be. (Even if they are money hungry fucks) What the hell, I enjoy the Rock and Roll side of it.

I also got "Live and Loud" from Ozzy but its a really old DVD, no 5.1 audio and its in 4:3 format. I have to squish Ozzy a bit to fit him on my 16:9 projector screen. Ignoring all that it was a good show. I thought Zakk did a reasonbly good job with the Randy stuff too. Not note perfect, but had a similar feel to the original solos.

IrishPunk
01-02-2004, 05:11 PM
I got Ted Nugent's new DVD and Dio's new DVD. Both quite good and filmed recently. The Nugent DVD has everything you could possibly want on here. Even an old music video for Journey to the Center of the Mind. He really opened the vaults for this one. I recommend both of them.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-02-2004, 05:32 PM
You dudes need to get the new Triumph DVD, "Live at the US Festival '83"....

Awesome....

Troy
01-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Queen's new Wembly '86 2DVD set is awesome.

Mr Badguy
01-02-2004, 06:43 PM
I`ve got Queensryche`s "Operation:Livecrime" and I highly recommend it.

It`s basically the video remastered into 5:1 digital sound.

It has a few real good extras:
1)The libretto that originally came with the box set is contained within the DVD and you can play the corresponding songs along with the story.
2)New interviews with Geoff Tate, covering the beginnings of Queensryche and explaining the evolution and recording of "Operation:Mindcrime".
3)Two live bonus tracks, "Roads to madness" and "The lady wore black", in 5:1 although strangely they are audio only tracks.
4)An excellent discography.

If you have the video, I suggest you replace it with this.

"Live evolution" is also excellent.

PHOENIX
01-02-2004, 07:33 PM
I like my Zeppelin DVD. I also heard some good stuff about Rush In Rio.

Mr Badguy
01-02-2004, 07:37 PM
"Rush in rio" is really good.

A lot ( but nowhere near all ) of their best songs, a good documentary and the multi-angle stuff is interesting.

Neal peart`s drum solo has to be seen to be believed.

Great to hear "Cygnus X-1", although they only play half of it.

diamond den™
01-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Another GRATE music DVD is Journey's GREATEST HITS 1978 - 1997. I bought Susie it for Christmas. :)

PHOENIX
01-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
"Rush in rio" is really good.

A lot ( but nowhere near all ) of their best songs, a good documentary and the multi-angle stuff is interesting.

Neal peart`s drum solo has to be seen to be believed.

Great to hear "Cygnus X-1", although they only play half of it.

Is 2112 on it?

twonabomber
01-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Rolling Stones Four Flicks. that is all.

Mr Badguy
01-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Is 2112 on it?

Yes, but only the "Overture/Temples of Syrinx" section.

Here is the track list:

Tom Sawyer
Distant early warning
New world man
Roll the bones
Earthshine
YYZ
The pass
Bravado
The big money
The trees
Free will
Closer to the heart
Natural science
One little victory
Driven
Ghost rider
Secret touch
Dreamline
Red sector A
Leave that thing alone
O Baterista (drum solo)
Resist (acoustic version)
2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx
Limelight
La villa strangiato
The spirit of radio
By tor and the snow dog
Cygnus X-1
Working man

Also three multi-angle tracks (YYZ, OBaterista, La villa strangiato), a documentary and two hidden extras( the cartoon for By Tor and the snowdog and a clip of Rush performing "Anthem" in 1975).

Runs for over 3 hours.

You can`t go wrong.

PHOENIX
01-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Yes, but only the "Overture/Temples of Syrinx" section.

Here is the track list:

Tom Sawyer
Distant early warning
New world man
Roll the bones
Earthshine
YYZ
The pass
Bravado
The big money
The trees
Free will
Closer to the heart
Natural science
One little victory
Driven
Ghost rider
Secret touch
Dreamline
Red sector A
Leave that thing alone
O Baterista (drum solo)
Resist (acoustic version)
2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx
Limelight
La villa strangiato
The spirit of radio
By tor and the snow dog
Cygnus X-1
Working man

Also three multi-angle tracks (YYZ, OBaterista, La villa strangiato), a documentary and two hidden extras( the cartoon for By Tor and the snowdog and a clip of Rush performing "Anthem" in 1975).

Runs for over 3 hours.

You can`t go wrong.

I'm gonna have to go get this one.:D

Hecubus
01-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Live at the El Mocambo

Small bar atmosphere, but huge on soul.

Seshmeister
01-04-2004, 01:07 PM
I`ve got Queensryche`s "Operation:Livecrime" and I highly recommend it.

It`s basically the video remastered into 5:1 digital sound.

It has a few real good extras:
1)The libretto that originally came with the box set is contained within the DVD and you can play the corresponding songs along with the story.
2)New interviews with Geoff Tate, covering the beginnings of Queensryche and explaining the evolution and recording of "Operation:Mindcrime".
3)Two live bonus tracks, "Roads to madness" and "The lady wore black", in 5:1 although strangely they are audio only tracks.
4)An excellent discography.

If you have the video, I suggest you replace it with this.

"Live evolution" is also excellent.

I downloaded it which I feel a bit guilty about.

I just assumed you wouldn't be able to buy it in the UK??

Cheers!

:gulp:

FORD
01-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I downloaded it which I feel a bit guilty about.

I just assumed you wouldn't be able to buy it in the UK??

Cheers!

Don't feel too guilty... as far as I know Queensryche is still being mismanaged by everyone's favorite band fucker-upper, Ray Danniels. Of course, so is Rush, for that matter :(

Gmoney
01-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Linkin Park "Live in Texas" is pretty kick ass. :killer:

Fairwrning
01-04-2004, 10:33 PM
all i have is "u2 elevation in boston"..."rush in rio"....stones "4 flicks"...u2 "rattle and hum"...led zeps "dvd"...sheryl crow"rockin the globe"...and,of course,"latin connection" by some band called van Halen...
all are excellent including Sheryl Crow...looks good and sings great!!

Mr Badguy
01-05-2004, 03:10 PM
How about Judas Priest "Electric eye"?

I really like it.

It contains:
All their promo videos up until "A touch of evil" (hence no "Burn in hell" or "Machine man" from the "Ripper" years), all in glorious 5:1 surround.

The Dallas 1986 "Priest..live!" concert remixed into 5:1 and sounds totally fantastic, even if the bands fashion sense of the era was a bit strange.

An excellent collection of unreleased stuff, including Priest performing "Rocka rolla" and "Dreamer Deceiver" live in 1975, and mimed performances of "Evening star" and "Take on the world" from 1979 and "Living after midnight" and "United from 1980. The only problem with this is that the sound is in mono.

A great discography which plays a full song from every album (although "Rocka rolla" and "Sad wings of destiny" play live tracks from "Unleashed in the east").

If you are crazy about Priest (like me), then you simply HAVE to buy this.

rustoffa
01-05-2004, 09:35 PM
The Priest dvd is great,the Hot Rockin' video is fuckin' hilarious...The Rocka Rolla and Dreamer Deceiver clips are fanatstic.The Cheap Trick Silver DVD is really good....Slash and other guests sit in on some songs,seems like Zander's voice just gets better with age.

Fairwrning
01-05-2004, 10:17 PM
oh shit...i forgot about "silver"..i love that fuckin dvd..too many highlights to mention..i liked how Neilson won the Fats Domino gold record playin cards...

pardo
01-06-2004, 04:47 PM
A buddy of mine lent me Thin Lizzy playin in Australia in '78. Don't remember the name of it, but I still have it at home. It has Gary Moore on guitar and he rips it up and the other guitarist (Scott somthinorother) is awesome too.

Has given me a new respect for them. They were really good!

rustoffa
01-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by pardo
A buddy of mine lent me Thin Lizzy playin in Australia in '78. Don't remember the name of it, but I still have it at home. It has Gary Moore on guitar and he rips it up and the other guitarist (Scott somthinorother) is awesome too.

Thin Lizzy?It's all good.

NE169
01-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Maiden's Rock In Rio's pretty damn good too.

Someday I wanna see a concert in Brazil--those fuckers have a great fucking time!!!

FORD
01-07-2004, 01:24 AM
Anybody get the new U2 DVD from Slane Castle yet? It's supposed to be a great show, but I can't find the goddamned thing anywhere locally.

Mr Badguy
01-07-2004, 07:02 AM

I used to have that show on video years ago.

It was interspersed with songs by two Austrailian bands, John English and Sports, who supported Lizzy that day.

Are they still included in the DVD?

Gary Moores solo spot is awesome, some of the fastest guitar playing I`ve ever seen.

pardo
01-07-2004, 08:33 AM
I used to have that show on video years ago.

It was interspersed with songs by two Austrailian bands, John English and Sports, who supported Lizzy that day.

Are they still included in the DVD?

Gary Moores solo spot is awesome, some of the fastest guitar playing I`ve ever seen.

Nope, the vid is only Thin Lizzy. Gary doesn't do an unaccompanied solo, but he does go off real good on the intro to Me And The Boys Were Wonderin How The Girls Are Getting Home Tonight - its just him wailin over a drum beat for a couple minutes. He's rippin it up. Its really cool to see Gary on this cause he's jumpin around and you can't wipe that smile off his face. Phil is also super solid - he wrote some killer tunes and he's a great front man!

Mr Badguy
01-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Nope, the vid is only Thin Lizzy. Gary doesn't do an unaccompanied solo, but he does go off real good on the intro to Me And The Boys Were Wonderin How The Girls Are Getting Home Tonight - its just him wailin over a drum beat for a couple minutes. He's rippin it up. Its really cool to see Gary on this cause he's jumpin around and you can't wipe that smile off his face. Phil is also super solid - he wrote some killer tunes and he's a great front man!

Sorry, that was the bit I`m talking about.

It`s not unaccompanied.

It`s been so long that I forgot the drummer was playing.

Isn`t it Mark Nauseef subbing for Brian Downey?

I think the Moore solo when Lynott introduces the band is incredible.

Scott Gorham (always under-rated) plays some shit hot stuff as well, if I remember rightly.

Seshmeister
01-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
The Priest dvd is great,the Hot Rockin' video is fuckin' hilarious...

The drummers attempt to lip synch in the shower is total Spinal Tap.

Breakin the law is the other classic comedy video from that era...:)

Cheers!

One Voice
01-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by NE169
Maiden's Rock In Rio's pretty damn good too.

Someday I wanna see a concert in Brazil--those fuckers have a great fucking time!!!

Yea i got this one also.
Hell of a party.

Mr Badguy
01-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
The drummers attempt to lip synch in the shower is total Spinal Tap.

Breakin the law is the other classic comedy video from that era...:)

Cheers!

Yeah, but the comedy makes them memorable.

"Breaking the law" is one of the videos that I remember from when it came out, and that was twenty four years ago.

That and Motorhead on the "Young ones" in 1984 playing "Ace of spades".

Where it all started for me and heavy metal.

Mr Badguy
01-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Two more, one good, one bad.

Motley Crue`s excellent "Greatest video hits" DVD, which includes all of their promos right up to the present, interviews with Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx, a discography, a hefty extras section (with uncensored and alternative versions of videos) and interactive menus, all in glorious 5:1 sound.

Highly recommended.

However, Guns n Roses "Use your illusion" parts 1 + 2 are a major disappointment. They are a straight transfer of the original videos with no extras or remastered sound, only song selection. Both include very long and boring drum/guitar solos. To make matters worse, they could both fit on one DVD.

A real cash in.

One to avoid.

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 01:05 PM
The Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" is a new one that I just got that is good.

Another good one that nobody mention was Alice in Chains "Music Bank-The Videos." There is some cool shit between videos on that.

The Zeppelin DVD is like a dream come true.

DLR7884
Has anyone seen the Pink Floyd DVD for Dark Side?

Mr Badguy
01-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Are you talking about "Live at Pompeii" or the classic album one?

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 03:04 PM
The classic album one. What is that thing all about?

DLR7884
Pompeii is the one where they play at the old ruins, right?

Mr Badguy
01-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Yes, but it`s got a section in the middle where there is footage of them in the recording studio during the "Dark side..." sessions.

There are clips of them recording "On the run", "Brain damage" and "Eclipse".

Sorry, but I haven`t seen the classic album DVD.

DLR7884
01-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info.

Another good DVD is the Alice In Chains Unplugged show.

I haven't met anyone who doesn't like the DVD or the album.

AIC's box set Music Bank was fucking great too.

DLR7884
I wish VH would pull their heads out of their fucking asses and realease something new.

twonabomber
01-26-2004, 06:41 AM
However, Guns n Roses "Use your illusion" parts 1 + 2 are a major disappointment. They are a straight transfer of the original videos with no extras or remastered sound, only song selection. Both include very long and boring drum/guitar solos. To make matters worse, they could both fit on one DVD.

A real cash in.

One to avoid.

good. i almost bought those the other day. now i'll try to rent them and copy 'em instead.

lucky wilbury
01-26-2004, 03:02 PM
some really good ones that haven't been mentioned yet:

roger water: in the flesh
dave gilmour in concert
bruce: live in barcelona
Bruce: Live in NYC
the Who: Live at the Isle or wight fest 1970
the last waltz
metallica Cunning stunts

and one to avoid at all cost:

iron maiden raising hell.

the video of it was so good but whoever mixed and mastered it for the dvd really screwed it up. it's so bad most places sell it for between 7-10 bucks.

Mr Badguy
01-26-2004, 03:43 PM
I don`t think "Raising hell" has ever been officially released by Iron Maiden on DVD.

I know that here in Britain you can get it imported from Brazil through Ebay but no shops carry it.

There are only three official Iron Maiden DVDs:
"Classic albums - The number of the Beast"
"Rock in Rio"
"Visions of the the Beast"

All others have been transfered to DVD by a third party and should be avoided, unless of course they`re dirt cheap.

lucky wilbury
01-26-2004, 06:10 PM
it's an offical release. it came out a few years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004RETH/qid=1075158476//ref=sr_8_xs_dvd_i4_xgl74/104-5734935-8209549?v=glance&s=dvd

Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)

Format: Color, Dolby

Rated: NR
Studio: Bmg Special Products

DVD Release Date: March 28, 2000
DVD Features:
Songs Include: Be Quick Or Be Dead, The Trooper, The Evil That Men Do, The Clairvoyant, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Wrathchild, Transylvania, From Here To Eternity, Fear Of The Dark, The Number Of The Beast, Bring Your Daughter ... To The Slaughter, Two Minutes To Midnight, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Heaven Can Wait, Sanctuary, Run To The Hills, Iron Maiden

Remastered In 5.1 Surround Sound

Instant Song Access

Full Motion Interactive Menus

ASIN: B00004RETH

Average Customer Review: Based on 39 reviews. Write a review.

Amazon.com Sales Rank (DVD): 8,310
--------

they have it for $13 but most cd shops around here have it in the $7-10 range because they want to get rid of it because it's so bad. it's also listed at bestbuy.com, towerrecords.com and barnesandnoble.com

Mr Badguy
01-27-2004, 03:31 AM
It`s never been officially released in Region 2 (Europe).

I don`t think I would buy it anyway as that period was a real low point for Maiden.

They were recording some of their worst songs and putting on some of their worst concert performances.

I saw them on that last tour with Bruce (1993) and it was a real strange atmosphere.

Anyone wanting the full Maiden concert experience should check out "Rock in Rio".

They don`t come much better.

beto
02-06-2004, 03:50 PM
ZACK WYLDE, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY DVD KICKS ASS

ALinChainz
02-06-2004, 05:51 PM
The Cult has a dvd I like of their videos. I agree with DLR7884 on the GnR Illusion dvds, could have been much better. You would hope with the success of the Zep dvd that more bands would hop on the bandwagon.

And of course, the Alice in Chains dvds.

Hecubus
02-06-2004, 10:36 PM
I gotta tell ya...

When I first popped in the Zeppelin DVD, my jaw hit the floor & the only thing that came out of my mouth was "OH FUCK YES!!!"

It's that good.

rustoffa
02-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Hecubus
I gotta tell ya...

When I first popped in the Zeppelin DVD, my jaw hit the floor & the only thing that came out of my mouth was "OH FUCK YES!!!"

It's that good.
Yep,that "we're gonna groove" opener just fucking destroyed.John Bonham drove that bus.

DLR7884
02-07-2004, 12:26 PM
That Zeppelin DVD is a masterpiece.

DLR7884
It coers each era well.

DLR7884
02-07-2004, 12:36 PM
covers each area

DLR7884
Sorry, I just woke up.

ALinChainz
02-07-2004, 01:04 PM
I agree a billion percent. After watching The Song Remains The Same over and over, it was nice to have some new live songs to watch and listen to.

Mr Badguy
02-08-2004, 07:23 AM
AC/DC "Live at Donington 1991"!

Excellent DVD.

The full set from the "Monsters of Rock" show at Donington in 1991 in widesreen and 5:1 doldy digital surround/DTS.

Extras include interviews with Angus and Malcolm Young, multi angle viewing on multiple songs, a full length audio commentary and an excellent dicography which includes a voice over by the Young brothers reminiscing about all the albums to date.

It looks and sounds fantastic and kicks the arse of the "No bull" and "Stiff upper lip" DVDs.

Get this for the real AC/DC experience.

S.P.G
02-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Queen We will rock you is fantastic, your never gonna see a better concert!

Queen live at wembley stadium is shit compared.