PDA

View Full Version : Knicks still hope to bring Phil Jackson to New York

ALinChainz
05-06-2005, 04:09 PM
May 6, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Knicks president Isiah Thomas still hopes to lure Phil Jackson back to New York, but he is interviewing other coaching candidates.

Thomas has talked to former Golden State coach and current Spurs' assistant P.J. Carlesimo, as well as Flip Saunders -- fired by Minnesota in February. He also plans to contact other coaches still involved in the playoffs, all as fallbacks to Jackson.

``We have a lot of people that we're talking to, but when you look at the resume, there's no one that has (Jackson's) body of work,'' Thomas said Thursday. ``I don't think anyone who's coaching today, other than Larry Brown, can really talk about being at that level. Everyone else is good.

``Like I was good, but I wasn't Michael Jordan. He was a little better.''

Jackson met with Thomas in Los Angeles on April 25 to discuss a return to the team that as a player he helped win the 1973 championship. But Jackson also led the Los Angeles Lakers to three titles as coach, leaving after the 2003-04 season.

Lakers owner Jerry Buss has made it known that Jackson is on a short list of candidates to replace interim coach Frank Hamblen.

``Wherever he decided to go, he'll put all his energy into it,'' Thomas said. ``The Lakers didn't make the playoffs. We didn't make the playoffs. It's going to be dirty work either place.''

Brett
05-06-2005, 05:16 PM
The Lakers are in a lot better shape than the freaking New York Knicks, cap wise and player-wise. Plus they don't have Isiah Thomas running the show, dragging the franchise in the further into the toilet.

ALinChainz
05-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Agree with that.

Thomas sucks in the front office. I didn't think he was much of a head coach either. Great player, but that's it.

Larry Brown has said this is it for him, and if he does coach next season, it would only be for Detroit.

The way Dumars went after Brown, firing Carlisle after 2 Division titles, I would not be the least surprised to see him at least talk with Jackson.

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Isiah Thomas wouldn't be there very long...

my guess is that Phil Jackson would accept that job knowing that Isiah is going to leave soon...

there's already rumblings of it...that he may want one of the potential head coaching jobs...that are out there...

I'm sensing the Lakers really..really want Phil back...the Laker fans too...

ALinChainz
05-07-2005, 08:15 PM
They really do want him back. New York does too, no question.

They might let Thomas make the hire though, then can his ass.

HippieLettuce
05-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Phil's boning Jeanie Buss. He'll get partial ownership of the team and be on the Lakers sideline next season.

Brett
05-09-2005, 03:09 AM
I heard Buss say he would not give any coach partial ownership.