PDA

View Full Version : I Hate That This Has Happened

Shaun Ponsonby
05-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Eric R. Danton of The Hartford Courant has issued the following report:

Consider the rock T-shirt. It's not just a piece of clothing; it's a cultural totem, a tangible memento of personal taste. At least, it was.

Once the province of concert merchandise booths, wearing a rock shirt meant that you or someone you know went to the show and laid out an extra $10 or $20 for the bragging rights, which you wore right there across your chest for all the world to see.

Concert attendance is no longer mandatory. Sometimes, in fact, it's impossible. When goofball actor Ashton Kutcher shows up on "The Tonight Show" wearing a black "Rolling Stones '72" shirt — a tour that took place six years before he was born — it's safe to assume Kutcher didn't buy the shirt in the parking lot of the Hollywood Bowl after the gig.

He probably bought it at Target or JC Penney. Both stores, along with mall punk shops such as Hot Topic, sell reproductions of vintage rock tees in the name of fashion. Want an AC/DC shirt from the "Back in Black" era? Maybe a floating-pig tee from mid-'70s PINK FLOYD? There are DEF LEPPARD and CURE shirts available, if the '80s are more your thing. You can buy the real ones, too, if you have the money — a genuine SANTANA shirt from a 1973 show will set you back $102 online.

"Anything to do with fashion basically trivializes most things, particularly anything to do with rock music," IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson told the BBC. "I view heavy metal T-shirts surfacing in Justin Timberlake videos as not something to write home about."

Indeed, the tees are part of the resurgence of rock fashion, with its emphasis on studded belts, Converse sneakers and shaggy hair worn by people who are more interested in fashion than making a defiant, if passive, statement through their appearances.

"To me, metal's cool because it used to be the choice of the person who walked alone, the lion who strides confidently through the jungle knowing full well that 'this AC/DC T-shirt says a lot about me,'" Justin Hawkins, singer for THE DARKNESS, told the BBC.

A T-shirt still says a lot about you, but what it says has changed. In a broader cultural sense, the ubiquity of the rock tee is part of a trend toward branding ourselves with corporate logos. You can buy shirts emblazoned with the names of the stores selling them, or show how clever you are with a mass-produced tee bearing slogans about the volume of tequila you can drink or why it's cool to throw rocks at boys (hint: They're smelly).

bueno bob
05-06-2005, 05:06 PM
I agree, and I hate to admit it. Concert T shirts actually meaning anything anymore have become trivialized.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 09:57 AM
I often give people a bollocking who wear T-shirts without knowing who the band are.

Motorhead T-shirts are a prime example. I ALWAYS see people with Motorhead T-shirts on, not long ago, I saw someone wearing one, and I walked over to them and said

"Whats your favourite Motorhead album, then?"

He said "Motorhead isn't a band, it's a make, dick."

And it just so happens that on that particular day I was wearing my T-shirt from the 2002 Hammered tour, so I unzipped my jacket and showed him the dates on the back, called him a cunt and walked off.

I just HATE people that wear tour T-shirts and they haven't even heard of the band. It sickens me. They don't see me walking round with a Justin Timberlake T-shirt, do they? It must be something in the imagery of rock music.

Stillwell
05-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't be caught dead in a concert shirt. Regardless what Hollywood thinks, there's nothing stylish about concert shirts. Wearing them will mostly likely get you pegged as a geek. I'm sure all the chicks will be on your jock once they see you in your "Van Halen Kicks Ass" shirt.

bueno bob
05-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I often give people a bollocking who wear T-shirts without knowing who the band are.

Motorhead T-shirts are a prime example. I ALWAYS see people with Motorhead T-shirts on, not long ago, I saw someone wearing one, and I walked over to them and said

"Whats your favourite Motorhead album, then?"

He said "Motorhead isn't a band, it's a make, dick."

And it just so happens that on that particular day I was wearing my T-shirt from the 2002 Hammered tour, so I unzipped my jacket and showed him the dates on the back, called him a cunt and walked off.

I just HATE people that wear tour T-shirts and they haven't even heard of the band. It sickens me. They don't see me walking round with a Justin Timberlake T-shirt, do they? It must be something in the imagery of rock music.

That story is utterly fucking cool news.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Stillwell
I wouldn't be caught dead in a concert shirt. Regardless what Hollywood thinks, there's nothing stylish about concert shirts. Wearing them will mostly likely get you pegged as a geek. I'm sure all the chicks will be on your jock once they see you in your "Van Halen Kicks Ass" shirt.

Why?

Wearing a concert or band T-Shirt is just like wearing a T-shirt of the football team you support, nobody seems to have a go at those people. You are a fan of something, you are proud to be a proud of it, so you wear a T-shirt to SHOW you are a fan of it.

I don't have one T-shirt that doesn't have a band logo on it. Right now I am wearing my Queen + Paul Rodgers T-shirt, yesterday I wore my Dave T-Shirt, before that I think it was Priest, then, if I'm not much mistaken, Porcupine Tree.

col5150
05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
i saw a picture in the paper of david beckam the footballer and i am 99.9% sure he had a old vh t shirt on, wxcept it had been altered at the neck and obviosly re-tailored. I may be wrong bujt beckam doesnt exactly strike me as a vh fan, well maybe why cant this be love

col5150
05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
my spelling is shocking

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I've seen that-it's another Motorhead T-shirt.

GOD, I HATE THAT.

Stillwell
05-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Why?

Wearing a concert or band T-Shirt is just like wearing a T-shirt of the football team you support,

When I buy clothes, I do it to support my heterosexuality.

Wearing sports jerseys is the same geek shit. The only difference is, you paid $100 more to look like a moron.

Do you actually think a chick will look at a guy and say “Ooohh, look at that guys outfit! That Atlanta Braves hat and White Snake shirt is getting me SO WET!”

The whole point of buying clothes is to actually get some leg. Not to make a statement about the music I listen to. Seriously, who gives a shit?!

Matt White
05-07-2005, 02:49 PM
I still wear my Bob Plant 1988 Concert jersey.

I'm old!!!:)

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 03:02 PM
When I buy clothes, I do it to support my heterosexuality.

Wearing sports jerseys is the same geek shit. The only difference is, you paid $100 more to look like a moron.

Do you actually think a chick will look at a guy and say “Ooohh, look at that guys outfit! That Atlanta Braves hat and White Snake shirt is getting me SO WET!”

The whole point of buying clothes is to actually get some leg. Not to make a statement about the music I listen to. Seriously, who gives a shit?!

However, if you wear fashionable clothes, the girls probably think "Oooh, he looks like everybody else in this city".

Would you rather look like evrybody else, or stand out to everybody else.

I often go out wearing my ripped jeans, the rips were not there when I got them, they are just VERY old, my perscription sunglasses (I don't like wearing normal glasses, it's not very rock 'n' roll), my tour T-shirt, my denim jacket, full of badges and patches, and probably the most odd, my cowboy hat. And I get attention. I get a shitload of attention. People (yes, that includes females) question me about the conert the T-shirt came from, they question me about my hat, they ask me why I dress so. In school once, they doing a production of Grease, and I was on lights/sound. I walked past one of the teachers, Mr Corbett (history) and he said "Who are you playing?", and I said "Do you think Judas Priest were around in the '50s? You call yourself a history teacher."

I get a shitload of attention dressing the way I do (ie-like shit), because I look COMPLETELY different from near enough everybody else.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 03:05 PM
What is Atlanta Braves, anyways?

Big Fat Sammy
05-07-2005, 03:26 PM
What is Atlanta Braves, anyways?

LOL Its baseball...people over here go way too far with the sports clothing horseshit, way too far.

Big Fat Sammy
05-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Its like the people you see with the Motorhead shirts. It's a uniform people wear to try to look cool but they really don't know whats up.

Its more sports teams than rock bands where I live...its all about "Buckeye Fever". Boring ass retards thowing a ball around, and everyone has the t-shirt, hat, keychain, bumpersticker, purse, beer opener, track suit, etc... No creativity whatsoever. And that shit is EXPENSIVE.

At the end of the local games, win or lose, these mindless trolls RIOT. Setting fires, overturning cars, vomit, puke all over the sidewalk, vandalize your car....

Look out for anyone in an OSU t-shirt!

DLRDUDE
05-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Why?

Wearing a concert or band T-Shirt is just like wearing a T-shirt of the football team you support, nobody seems to have a go at those people. You are a fan of something, you are proud to be a proud of it, so you wear a T-shirt to SHOW you are a fan of it.

I don't have one T-shirt that doesn't have a band logo on it. Right now I am wearing my Queen + Paul Rodgers T-shirt, yesterday I wore my Dave T-Shirt, before that I think it was Priest, then, if I'm not much mistaken, Porcupine Tree.

I think you need your girl or your mother to take you shpping bro. The years of living in Wayne's world are over. I still have my old Concert shirts at my folks house but I think the only ones getting use out of them would be moths. He He

Big Fat Sammy
05-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by DLRDUDE
I still have my old Concert shirts at my folks house but I think the only ones getting use out of them would be moths. He He

The difference between being 16 and 38!

Unchainme
05-07-2005, 04:37 PM
A prime example of this is When Ashlee "I Think I'm A Punk" Simpson wore Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood T-shirt during a music video I almost puked. That sickened me because Motley crue is one of the Greatest metal bands of all time. She probably has no idea who the Crue is which makes it even more sickening. I think the only people who really should be alowed to where legimete rock t-shirts like Motley Crue or Metallica is Sum 41 because they covered these bands songs and kicked ass while doing it, they like these bands also.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Still, when I'm 38, you bet your ass that I'll still be wearing my Motorhead T-shirt.

Unchainme
05-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
Its like the people you see with the Motorhead shirts. It's a uniform people wear to try to look cool but they really don't know whats up.

Its more sports teams than rock bands where I live...its all about "Buckeye Fever". Boring ass retards thowing a ball around, and everyone has the t-shirt, hat, keychain, bumpersticker, purse, beer opener, track suit, etc... No creativity whatsoever. And that shit is EXPENSIVE.

At the end of the local games, win or lose, these mindless trolls RIOT. Setting fires, overturning cars, vomit, puke all over the sidewalk, vandalize your car....

Look out for anyone in an OSU t-shirt!

I'm Purdue fan LOL! Theres alot of OSU fans where I live and they constantley just say Purdue sucks even though I think half the time they couldn't tell where purdue is anyway. I guess I'm Boring ass retard too because I play Football :D

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by DLRDUDE
I think you need your girl or your mother to take you shpping bro. The years of living in Wayne's world are over. I still have my old Concert shirts at my folks house but I think the only ones getting use out of them would be moths. He He

I'll be living in Wayne's World on my deathbed.

Big Fat Sammy
05-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
I'm Purdue fan LOL! Theres alot of OSU fans where I live and they constantley just say Purdue sucks even though I think half the time they couldn't tell where purdue is anyway. I guess I'm Boring ass retard too because I play Football :D

...Where's Purdue??? LOL

Big Fat Sammy
05-07-2005, 07:25 PM
No offence to the players, I just don't like sports fanatics as much as music fanatics. Music fanatics don't tear the mirror off my car and puke on my porch and wallow around in it.

Stillwell
05-07-2005, 07:36 PM
It's a uniform people wear to try to look cool

That's exactly why I avoid wearing metal shirts and sports shirts. I don't want to be identified or classed into a group. I go the loner/individualist mode. I'd rather choke on a drunkard's second hand vomit than follow ANY group whether it be Metal-Head, etc.

I try to have as varied a collection of quality clothes as possible.

That's the difference between being a virgin and being a stud. :)

Big Fat Sammy
05-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Same with me exept for the occasional Hendrix shirt, which will, among other things, get you laid.

I would rather wear a Bon Jovi shirt than a tie dye and sandals tho' :)

Stillwell
05-07-2005, 07:51 PM
However, if you wear fashionable clothes, the girls probably think "Oooh, he looks like everybody else in this city".

No, but that where your looks, grooming, height, and weight comes in. Proper dressing creates the first impression. Do you want a chick to look at you and say "he looks like white trash"? Seriously, and I've heard this first hand, chicks think that guys (the truly legit fans) who wear tour shirts are losers. It’s a fucked up ‘tude, but hey, you got to appeal to their tastes. Obviously, there are chicks out there who LIKE that look, but their usually sloppy and quite busted. Dunno bout you, but I'd shelve my principles for a fine piece of tang any day.

Big Fat Sammy
05-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Whiite Trash is IN tho'

Look at Kid Rock!

Stillwell
05-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Whiite Trash is IN tho'

Look at Kid Rock!

I thought the yuppie look was in.

Atomic_Rob
05-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Another example, in a shitty girls clothes shop in my town centre they have some twat wearing a Ramones t-shirt in a photo.

Absolutely shocking.

If you wear gig or band t-shirt, it AUTOMATICALLY gives a bird something to talk about, rather than go through shit like films etc

Big Fat Sammy
05-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Atomic_Rob

If you wear gig or band t-shirt, it AUTOMATICALLY gives a bird something to talk about, rather than go through shit like films etc

Yeah, especially young punk rock / alternative girls, they are a whole other breed.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-08-2005, 11:52 AM
No, but that where your looks, grooming, height, and weight comes in. Proper dressing creates the first impression. Do you want a chick to look at you and say "he looks like white trash"? Seriously, and I've heard this first hand, chicks think that guys (the truly legit fans) who wear tour shirts are losers. It’s a fucked up ‘tude, but hey, you got to appeal to their tastes. Obviously, there are chicks out there who LIKE that look, but their usually sloppy and quite busted. Dunno bout you, but I'd shelve my principles for a fine piece of tang any day.
Why?

If they don't like me-FUCK THEM!!

The thing is-if you think about what somebody is wearing, you can probably work out what kind of music they listen to anyway.

If you see somebody wearing a tracksuit and a cap, you know they listen to hip hop.

If you see someone wearing designer jeans and a T-shirt that goes to the beltline, with specially styled hair, it's indie (in the UK, anyways).

If you see somebody (male) with an AC/DC T-shirt, a leather jacket with long hair it's rock 'n' roll.

Of corse, age comes into it. Can you really imagine somebody in their 70's wearing a tracksuit, walking round saying "Come my hommies, bitch".

Let's just agree to disagree.

How do you pick up girls with all that face make-up on?

Rob's point is exactly my point, as well.

Where've ya been, Rob?

How're ya doin'?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Besides, I don't give a fuck what people think about my appearence.

nosammy
05-08-2005, 12:08 PM
i used to go to kiss shows in the 70`s.....right before they came out with "alive".....believe it or not, i would pay to have those original shirts that i bought back then.....however, i won`t buy a reproduction from a kiss store because it just wouldn`t be the same as buying the original......the kids that wear the reproductions aren`t saying anything.....Ashton wearing that shirt means he doesn`t have any real stories to share with friends because he didn`t exist back then....he has no stories on the shows and the parties with friends and the women he had........he`s just another walking billboard.....basically an advertising whore.....:p

DLR82VH
05-09-2005, 12:02 PM
I can in all honesty say I do not own a band/concert shirt I either haven't attended or I don't listen to.

I have alot of band/concert shirts and I wear them alot basically all I wear but I listen to everyone of those bands.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-09-2005, 12:52 PM
That's me exactly.