PDA

View Full Version : Nash to be named MVP.

guwapo_rocker
05-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Report: Nash will be named NBA MVP

Canadian Press

5/6/2005 4:15:50 PM

PHOENIX (CP) - Canadian Steve Nash is the NBA Most Valuable Player this season, according to a report on ESPN.

The Victoria point guard has edged Miami Heat centre Shaquille O'Neal, according to the report. The official announcement will be made Sunday during halftime of ABC's coverage of Sunday's playoff game at 3 pm et.

The league has had trouble keeping their award winners under wraps, as word leaked out earlier this week on defensive player of the year Ben Wallace of the Detroit Pistons and rookie of the year Emeka Okafor of the Charlotte Bobcats. Both leaks were correct.

Should the ESPN report pan out, the six-foot-three guard from Victoria will become just the third point guard in more than four decades to win the award. The others are Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson.

Nash would become the first Canadian to win the award. In fact there is only one other Canadian playing in the NBA this season - New Orleans centre Jamaal Magloire of Toronto.

Nash, 31, has sparked a brilliant turnaround since signing with the Suns in the off-season, taking a team that struggled to 29-53 last season, to a league-best 62-20 this year, while doling out a league-leading 11.5 assists a game.

The Suns are only the second team in NBA history to win 60 games after losing 50 - the other was the 1979-80 Boston Celtics.

The Arizona Republic reported Friday the timing of the announcement pointed to Nash as the winner. The NBA announced the previous five MVPs when the winners were idle, and on a day before each had a playoff game.

Nash and the Suns are expected to start their second-round playoff series Monday, while Miami was scheduled for a Sunday start depending on the outcome of the Washington-Chicago game Friday.

The last MVP to not receive the award the day before a playoff game was Karl Malone in 1999, when the Utah Jazz were already eliminated.

According to a poll conducted by the Republic, Nash and Shaq were locked in a near dead heat. The newspaper surveyed 106 of the 127 writers and broadcasters who voted for the league's 50th MVP award, and found that Nash had 53 first-place votes while Shaq had 51 votes. (The Suns' Amare Stoudemire and Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs received the other two votes).

Link (http://tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?id=124065)

Brett
05-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Sorry fatty, I mean Shaq.

DLR7884
05-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Good choice.

Nash was a great addition to that team.

DLR7884
Wade would deserve it more than Kazaam anyways.

ALinChainz
05-06-2005, 11:34 PM
The voting was very tight.

I don't mind that Nash won. They had a bigger W-L turnaround this year than wins last season (33 to 29). He had never won it before and a Canadian had never won it, so it isn't out of the question.

But Besides Wade, Shaq didn't have near the caliber of talented team mates that Nash had.

Brett
05-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Same caliber of players they had that lost 50 games last year. Miami was a playoff team without fatty, and even advanced to the second round. I'd love to see that Miami team without Dwayne Wade.

ALinChainz
05-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Stoudemire is still barely out of high school. And not physically where he is this season. He is still getting used to the league.

Richardson wasn't with the Suns last year, and he was huge this season. No Jim Jackson last season, who even at his age is still solid off the bench. Shawn Marion stepping up his boards.

Hell, they had Marbury last year.

Nash's numbers aren't even all that great, not terrible at all, and was the big reason they turned it around.

NOT the same Suns as last season. Much better roster top to bottom this season.

Who did Shaq have besides Wade? They went to the playoffs, but as you've said, the East is weak. And they were only 2 games over .500, 4th seed. Like Chicago this season.

ALinChainz
05-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Makes my point.

Without Wade, they'd be hurting.

Would the Suns be as bad off as that without Nash?

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Yeah...the suns would be as bad off without Nash...they'd probably be better than Miami without Wade...

but Phoenix wouldn't be any good without their point man...

DlocRoth
05-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah, without Nash, those young bucks would be running around like chckens with their heads cut off.

Nash is like Patton out there.

With him driving the bus, they have a legitimate shot at winning it all.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Just waiting for someone to throw out the race card....

Could make a case for a few people, actually....

guwapo_rocker
05-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Nash says he would've voted for Shaq

Associated Press

5/7/2005 5:44:04 PM

PHOENIX (AP) - The official announcement won't come until Sunday, but the word was out when the Phoenix Suns practised Saturday: Steve Nash has won the NBA's most valuable player award.

The Suns' ever-energized Canadian point guard said the impending honour would be a recognition of the team's success and refreshing, unselfish style of play more than of his individual accomplishments.

"I definitely won this award because of my role on the team," Nash said. "I didn't win this because I overpower people or I'm dominating people with physical ability, whether it's jumping ability or strength or height."

The addition of Nash was the main reason the Suns went from 29 victories in 2003-04 to a league-best 62 this season. The new-look, up-tempo team averaged 110 points per game, the most in the NBA in a decade. It is, Nash has often said, the way the game is supposed to be played.

"To be considered in this setting, and the way the team plays, is really a testament to the game of basketball," Nash said of the award. "Our team couldn't come close to winning 60 games if we didn't share the ball."

With Nash at the controls, the Suns used a turbocharged version of "small ball" to blow past opponents. All five starters - Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson - had 30-point games. The Suns shattered the NBA record for three-pointers in a season. Nash led the way with a career-best and NBA-leading 11.5 assists per contest.

"It's really an unbelievable honour for him," coach Mike D'Antoni said, "and the team should take a lot of pride in that. Amare, Shawn, Joe, Q, Jimmy (Jackson), all those guys have really helped him with the award, it's part them, part him."

With Nash getting him the ball, Stoudemire's scoring average climbed by 5.5 points to 26 per game, and his field goal shooting from 48 to 56 per cent.

"I think it's more like a team award," Stoudemire said, "but Steve is the motor. He has the ball in his hands 80 per cent of the time, and a guy like Steve, he gets everyone involved."

Nowhere are Nash's accomplishments more celebrated than in his native Canada. He grew up in Victoria, the distinctively British-flavoured capital of British Columbia on Vancouver Island and not exactly a basketball hotbed. After high school, Santa Clara was the only college to seriously recruit him.

Even Nash wonders how someone from that background could become an MVP in the NBA.

"I don't really know what to make of it," he said. "I had one scholarship offer, and I didn't have any NBA players in my neighbourhood. I don't even think I dreamed about this award. I don't know what to say. I just kept trying."

The Suns return to playoff action Monday in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals. In some ways, the award is a distraction.

"I think that's another thing that's really preventing me from getting a good handle on what's happening here," Nash said, "because I am totally concerned with Monday and our game, and pending awards and stuff like that, no matter how much of an honour it would be, is really in the way of what's most important."

As one would expect from one accustomed to giving rather than receiving, Nash said he wouldn't have voted for himself.

"I would probably vote for Shaquille (O'Neal)," he said. "He's one of the greatest ever to play the game. I look up to him. He's a huge part of this game's history already. He's one of the very best personalities and players in the game's history."

Link (http://tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?id=124186)

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 07:11 PM
race card???????

I suppose it could have happened...

but I don't see it...

you can't argue with the turnaround...that Phoenix had this year with Nash being the only major upgrade (Richardson as well...but nearly as big an impact)...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Oh, I agree with you, Nash deserves it, I don't care if his skin was fuschia-colered...

But you know in the 70% black NBA, when a white guy wins MVP, there are inevitably going to be those who will question it....

Warham
05-07-2005, 11:55 PM
But the real point of this story is that Shaq has no class. Never had it, never will.

POJO_Risin
05-08-2005, 01:24 AM
painful...just painful...you bitter bastards in LA...lmfao...

Va...

I'm hoping Bird comes out like last year...and says...

"Nash is the white poster boy...it's time for the whiteys to take over the league..."

lmfao...

ALinChainz
05-08-2005, 01:57 AM
I don't know about the no class thing.

A reporter told Shaq that Nash had edged him for MVP, and he started to pretend cry, like it tore him apart, it was funny.

He then went on to say that Nash deserved it, that it was a big year for him not only on the court but off also. He congratulated him for the award, on his marriage and that he just had twins.

Nash turned around and said he would have voted Shaq.

I thought that was a pretty good gesture.

POJO_Risin
05-08-2005, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz

He then went on to say that Nash deserved it, that it was a big year for him not only on the court but off also. He congratulated him for the award, on his marriage and that he just had twins.

Just no fucking class...

Shaq later called the police to tell them about all Nash's off the court escapades...

his retort was simple..."I just wanted to let them know that other people did it..."

oh wait...that wasn't Shaq...

Warham
05-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Then after that, Shaq then ripped into Jerry Buss for trading him and saying that the Lakers never gave him any respect when he was there, despite giving him a $120 million dollar contract.

Brett
05-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Shaq can go fuck himself, big fucking baby. He is a classless piece of shit, and has pretty much alienated himself from all the great years he had here with his big fucking mouth.

And oh yeah, I hope he tears his knee up soon.

I get a good laugh at those of you who defend fatty, as if his big mouth and his bitterness towards Kobe and Dr. Buss had nothing to do with why he's not here anymore. How he became a saint in this is beyond me. That and this classless piece of crap waited until he was traded to lose the 60 pounds the Lakers had asked him for years to shed. FU fatty.

This is his last chance to win MVP and a title, lazy fat ass. So far he's blown the MVP thing, and hopefully a nice long vacation is coming soon too.

guwapo_rocker
05-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Brett
That and this classless piece of crap waited until he was traded to lose the 60 pounds the Lakers had asked him for years to shed. FU fatty.

I feel your pain!!:D

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=vince+carter/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=133si4a5k/EXP=1115663850/*-http%3A//www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/v/jvn103/PICS/vince%20carter%20superman.jpg

Class and integrity seem to be very rare comodities in the NBA.

Warham
05-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Miami's not going to win the title this year.

POJO_Risin
05-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Okay...Brett...are you fucking kidding me here...

enough of this shit...

I get the shit about being pissed off with the Shaq...

but enough...jesus christ...

I hate Thome...I hate Belle...I hate Ramirez (and Shaq has nothing on fucking Belle who tried to run over some Cleveland area trick or treaters one year)...but I still respect the fact that the fucker brought titles...and got them to the series...and hated him at the same time...

You are about fucking ridiculous though...jesus christ...

you sound like an ex wife who's husband ran out on you for someone better looking...

bitter...bitter...bitter...

and I'm sorry...if someone used my name with the cops in any form or fashion...disrespecting wouldn't come close to what I'd do...

disrespecting on the court is one thing...and I agree that Shaq did that...but...the repayment for that shouldn't be throwing Shaq's name out there as a cheater to deflect...which is EXACTLY what he did...

Christ...I have nothing vested in Shaq...I just like pissing you off...but damn...

It's kind of funny...I don't think anyone on the planet will disagree with you about the bullshit disrespect reasoning...NONE...I think it's ridiculous as well...

But what you fail to see is that Shaq is the best quote machine on the planet right now...he's funny as hell...and oh yeah...HE'S FUCKING GOOD...fat...skinny...bum toe...bum knee...whatever...he's still the best center in the game...even ONLY averaging 23 points and 11 boards a game...

You guys won't even concede that...any of it...not even a little...not even an inch...

and you are saying that you think that what he does CANCELS OUT the three titles?

Okay...I can understand being bitter...I can understand wanting him to blow out his knee and fuck up his entire life (not really...but I'll concede that)...but to say it cancels out your little Laker return to glory...utterly ridiculous...

Look...your Lakers will get back...like you said...they have the NAME and the MONEY to do it...

so why harp over spilt milk...

I don't think the Heat will win it all this year either...so what...

I'm actually done with this now...lmfao...

until your next ridiculous Shaq comment...

and ps...Brett...people have ALWAYS liked Shaq...and psssst...there are still SEVERAL people in LA that think HE got screwed. I know you live there and will refute that...but I'm still going to ride with the majority of Laker fans actually LIKE Shaq still...

Warham
05-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Shaq only wishes he was a quote machine like Charles Barkley. If you want some real humor, listen to the Round Mound of Rebound.

I didn't really get all worked up when Shaq would rename himself every other week, ala the Big Aristotle. As if.

Nothing Shaq says will take away from those three titles. But the guy just can't let it die when he leaves town. It's like biting the hand that fed him. He would've never won those titles if he hadn't played in LA, and would've never won those three without Kobe. Now he acts like they are both the spawn of Satan: Jerry Buss and Little Brother.

Lakers fans are just tired of his act.

Brett
05-09-2005, 03:03 AM
First of all, I have been tired of Shaq's bullshit for three years now. It all started with his toe bullshit before the 2002 season, and the coming back at nearly 370 pounds. So give me a break Pojo, my attitude towards him has been negative for years.

And no you'd be wrong, but of course you won't believe it either. Difference is I live here, I really don't care what someone 3,000 miles away perceives what fans here think. The attitude towards Shaq here is very negative, especially after this recent round of attacks on Dr. Buss. I also read the Laker message boards where a majority of the fans here in LA can't stand Shaq anymore, and wish him nothing but failure. Am I bitter? Certainly not, I wasn't all that saddened by the trade. I was tired of the drama and they weren't winning anymore either.

I will not defend a player who berates one of the best owner in professional sports, simply because he was traded, for reasons only really he and the owner now. I'm glad Shaq thinks he's playing for the best owner ever now, who'd want a player who believed otherwise. He's a fucking baby, and he'll turn on Arison too when he doesn't get the $30 million extension he feels he's earned, but doesn't deserve. Just watch.

Fact remains, the Lakers have been the most consisently successful pro sports team for what 60 years. And especially the last 25 years since Jerry Buss has owned them. So fuck Shaq. And if Kobe was traded and said this bullshit (he never would however), he could go fuck himself too. No player is above the organization, including fatty. And the ultimate insult to Laker fans was fatass losing all that weight this year, but wouldn't do it here when the coaching staff basically begged him to for years.

And if it bothers you that I detest him Pojo and will continue to say so, then don't read my posts. Like War said, he wouldn't have won those titles if he hadn't played here for Buss, with Kobe, and Phil as a coach. He should have been honored to play for this organization as long as he did.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Now, now boys....

You'd think we were starting another UFF flamefest or something.... ;)

POJO_Risin
05-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Brett
First of all, I have been tired of Shaq's bullshit for three years now. It all started with his toe bullshit before the 2002 season, and the coming back at nearly 370 pounds. So give me a break Pojo, my attitude towards him has been negative for years.

And no you'd be wrong, but of course you won't believe it either. Difference is I live here, I really don't care what someone 3,000 miles away perceives what fans here think. The attitude towards Shaq here is very negative, especially after this recent round of attacks on Dr. Buss. I also read the Laker message boards where a majority of the fans here in LA can't stand Shaq anymore, and wish him nothing but failure. Am I bitter? Certainly not, I wasn't all that saddened by the trade. I was tired of the drama and they weren't winning anymore either.

I will not defend a player who berates one of the best owner in professional sports, simply because he was traded, for reasons only really he and the owner now. I'm glad Shaq thinks he's playing for the best owner ever now, who'd want a player who believed otherwise. He's a fucking baby, and he'll turn on Arison too when he doesn't get the $30 million extension he feels he's earned, but doesn't deserve. Just watch.

Fact remains, the Lakers have been the most consisently successful pro sports team for what 60 years. And especially the last 25 years since Jerry Buss has owned them. So fuck Shaq. And if Kobe was traded and said this bullshit (he never would however), he could go fuck himself too. No player is above the organization, including fatty. And the ultimate insult to Laker fans was fatass losing all that weight this year, but wouldn't do it here when the coaching staff basically begged him to for years.

And if it bothers you that I detest him Pojo and will continue to say so, then don't read my posts. Like War said, he wouldn't have won those titles if he hadn't played here for Buss, with Kobe, and Phil as a coach. He should have been honored to play for this organization as long as he did.

You have been bitching for three years about it...no doubt about it....so you've been wrong for three years...nice...

it's funny...you say that it's Shaq's fault for not being in shape for the Lakers not winning the title when they should have...sounds like you're giving Shaq the credit for not winning...

but...of course...won't give him the credit for when they won...can't have it both ways hombre...

I'm 3000 miles away...no doubt about it...I'll throw you for a loop...and agree with you...simply because I can't fight the fact that I don't live there. I'll give you that point...(PS...something that you would NEVER do...and have NEVER done with regards to your Lakers)...

The Lakers are the most consistently successful sports team over the past 60 years? Holy fuck...I'll have to send that news to the Yankees (who I fucking hate by the way)...

As far as Kobe not saying anything...and I can't believe you are playing the fucking scruples card here...we'll never know now...will we...and of course...

No player is above the organization? I'll remember that the next time they ask Kobe about a coach...or about a player...absolutely ridiculous statement...considering the LAKERS set themselves up for that mess themselves.

Buss is a good owner...I agree with you...but that team isn't good because of money...it WAS good because of the best GM of all time...and that would be Jerry West. You can talk about Buss all you want...about how great he is...and I'd agree for the most part...but over the past 2 years..."the old man" has looked like a complete moron with what's happened to that team.

I can agree with you on the comment about losing the weight.

Brett...what bothers me about this conversation...and always has...isn't that you hate the fucking guy for what he did over the past three years..it is that you think you are 100% correct in every aspect. I listen to you bitch and moan about how his weight cost you titles...IE...they needed Shaq to win them...but...you won't admit that they NEED a healthy SHAQ to win them. You come out and say that Shaq isn't HONORED to play for the Lakers? What the fuck are you talking about? What fucking year are we in here...1941? Do you think he's the only one bitching about Buss...

What about Kobe bitching about Phil Jackson's fucking offense for 2 years? What about that disrespect? Oh...wait...it's not Buss...so fuck it....right?

Here's what I will say. You are absolutely right that Shaq acts like a 5 year old...you see him as a piece of shit because he left your team...I agree with you...I'd feel the same way. On the other hand...being that MY TEAM HAS NEVER WON A FUCKING TITLE...I'd probably find a way to say...hmmm...Shaq is a big giant piece of turtle shit...but you know what...he won us three titles...and ride on the HE HAD TO HAVE BUSS AND PHIL AND KOBE (and no mention of West...jerry fucking west?...I can't wait to hear about that. I know...you are going to have some fucking LA secret that he sucked ass to and was run out because of it...I can't wait)...

You don't have to give him credit Brett...there are plenty of people who can look at the situation as basketball fans who will...

I actually agree with most of your points is the funny thing...you're just missing mine...

anxiously awaiting how you AREN'T actually missing my point...;)

With all this being said Brett...no animosity here...just to let you know...I just majorly disagree with a piece of your puzzle...from one sports fan to another...

and Va...lmfao...no...nothing like UFF...I could give a flying fuck about the Lakers...or Shaq...or the Heat...

I just like "getting in the mix..."

;)

ALinChainz
05-18-2005, 04:11 PM
TSN Awards: GMs name Shaq MVP

By Stan McNeal - SportingNews

Other TSN Awards:

Coach of the Year:
Suns' Mike D'Antoni

Executive of the Year:
Suns' Bryan Colangelo

Sporting News' 2004-05 NBA Awards salute an outstanding season by the Phoenix Suns. However, there's one honor where a Sun is eclipsed.

Player of the Year:
Shaquille O'Neal, Heat

Steve Nash won over the media members who voted for the league's Most Valuable Player award, but he didn't quite convince the front office executives who vote for the Sporting News' Player of the Year.

In balloting that was even closer than the league MVP voting, the big guy -- Heat center Shaquille O'Neal -- finished with 13 votes to 12 for Nash from the 27 executives who participated. (We asked one exec from each team to vote, but three teams declined to participate.) Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki and 76ers guard Allen Iverson received the other two votes.

"It's a great honor to be recognized by the best basketball minds in the world as this year's Sporting News NBA MVP," says O'Neal, 33. "While I'm truly grateful for this honor, my main goal for this season has not changed, and that's to win an NBA championship."

During a season in which the most impressive individual numbers were put up by Iverson -- he led the league in scoring (30.7 points per game) and was second in steals (2.4) and fifth in assists (7.9) -- the media and executives focused their votes on the two players who had the most impact on the success of their teams.

Nash was brilliant from the start and led the Suns to a 33-game turnaround, averaging 11.5 assists and 15.5 points. There were, however, reasons at least as compelling to side with Shaq, the dominant player on the No. 1 team in the Eastern Conference:

as Nash. Heat guard Dwyane Wade is a rising superstar, but the rest of Shaq's supporting cast is composed of nothing more than serviceable role players. With Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion manning the Suns' frontcourt, Nash might be only the third-best player on his own team.

When the "What is an MVP?" debates begin, there's always an emphasis on making your teammates better. Well, Shaq did that. His presence forced opponents to focus their game plans on stopping him, and that allowed Wade the freedom to blossom into one of the game's best players. All the attention Shaq received on offense also meant plenty of open shots for Damon Jones and Udonis Haslem, and they responded by averaging double figures in scoring for the first time in their NBA careers.

Perhaps most telling: The team Shaq left in L.A. was reduced to the lottery, and the team Nash left in Dallas remained one of the league's best.
Shaq's stats -- 22.9 points, 10.4 rebounds -- were below his norms, but he seemed more than happy to set aside individual numbers for the good of the Heat. And his 60.1 field-goal shooting was best in the league. He lost weight and reported to camp looking leaner than he had in years. And he made it clear he meant business when he refused to sit out the start of the season while nursing a sore left hamstring and helped the Heat get off to a strong start.

But perhaps the difference came down to this: Ask any coach or GM who he would want to build his team around next season, and the answer almost always is Shaq.

Well, score another one for the big guy.

guwapo_rocker
05-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Nash's triple-double sinks Mavericks

Steve Nash

Associated Press

5/19/2005 12:01:00 AM

PHOENIX (AP) - If Steve Nash needed any more proof that he deserves to be MVP, his show-stopping performance Wednesday night ought to do it.

The Suns' mop-haired maestro from Victoria had 34 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists - his third career triple-double and first in the playoffs - and Phoenix turned on the jets in a fourth-quarter outburst to beat the Dallas Mavericks 114-108.

''He's a tough little player,'' said Nash's close friend, Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, ''we all know that.''

One more victory over his old team, and Nash and the Suns will advance to the Western Conference finals.
Related Info

Phoenix took a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven conference semifinal series, with Game 6 on Friday night in Dallas. Historically, when it's a 2-2 tie, the victor in Game 5 has gone on to win the series 84 percent of the time.

''Nash played like an MVP tonight. We had no answers for him,'' Dallas coach Avery Johnson said. ''We tried everything humanly possible.''

Jim Jackson, the 13-year NBA veteran moved into the starting lineup for the injured Joe Johnson, made seven of eight shots in the fourth quarter for 15 of his 21 points. Amare Stoudemire rebounded from his 15-point performance in Game 4 with 33 points and a career-playoff high 18 rebounds - 21 points and 12 rebounds in the second half. Shawn Marion added 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Suns.

Nowitzki had 34 points and 10 rebounds for the Mavericks, who led 55-48 at the half. Jerry Stackhouse scored 29 points off the bench. Josh Howard added 19 points and 10 rebounds, and Jason Terry had 17 points.

But no one on the Mavericks could match the energy and effectiveness of Nash, who came off a 48-point, but losing, effort in Game 4. This time, he scored, and did a lot of everything else, too.

''Obviously, Nash still hurt us in the first half, but he was a monster in the second half,'' Johnson said. ''We came into tonight's game trying to cut off some of his passing angles. We did not follow the game plan, and they just shredded us, shredded us to pieces. I am so disappointed right now.''

Nash had 22 points in the second half, many over and around towering would-be defenders inside the lane, and reached a triple-double with 6½ minutes left in the third quarter.

''We can accept Amare getting points in the paint,'' Stackhouse said. ''But Nash getting points in the paint is unacceptable.''

The Suns outscored the Mavericks 66-30 in the paint.

''I expected them,'' Nash said of his many open shots. ''They weren't upset with the 48 points. I was prepared to do the same thing. As one of the best shooters on the team, I have to shoot when I'm open.''

Nash was on the bench, though, for a quick breather when Jackson, acquired by the Suns after refusing to report to New Orleans following a midseason trade from Houston, took charge with three baskets in a 9-0 run to start the fourth quarter.

''It wasn't anything mentally I told myself I needed to do,'' Jackson said. ''It just happened. You just try to get yourself involved in the game and see how it played out.''

The surge put Phoenix up 85-77 with 9:22 to go and the Mavericks never got closer than four again.

The Suns outscored the Mavericks 66-53 in the second half.

''An incredible show of heart in the second half,'' Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said. ''The first half we were kind of playing on our heels a little bit, a little tight. We took a pretty good punch from them. The second half we played our style of basketball.''

Dallas cut it to 87-83 on Terry's 17-footer with 7:30 left, but Nash's three-point play was sandwiched between baskets by Stoudemire and Jackson in a 7-0 spurt that put the Suns up 94-83 and sent the packed America West Arena crowd into delirium.

Nash led a 15-5 run that gave Phoenix a 74-69 lead with 3:28 left in the third quarter. The final points of the spurt came when Howard fouled Nash on a drive, then was called for a technical for punching the ball into the stands.

Nash, who scored 15 points in the third quarter, sank all three free throws.

His nine-footer in traffic put the Suns ahead 76-71 with 2:53 to go, but the Mavericks scored the last six of the quarter, four by Nowitzki and two free throws by Stackhouse with 0.9 seconds left to take a 77-76 lead going into the fourth.

Erick Dampier, who had played well in Dallas' victories and mostly watched from the bench in foul trouble in the defeats, was 0-for-7 from the field and scored just two points, but grabbed 14 rebounds.

Notes: Referee Steve Javie injured his left calf in the second quarter and was replaced by Jess Kershey at halftime. ... Nash was a first-team All-NBA selection, Stoudemire made the second team and Marion the third, the first time the Suns have had three players on the first three teams. Nowitzki made the first team. ... Nowitzki went to the locker room for treatment briefly after being poked in the eye by Jackson with 5:36 left in the third quarter.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?id=125346)

guwapo_rocker
05-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Nash knocks out former team

Associated Press

5/21/2005 12:25:34 AM

DALLAS (AP) - Maybe in a few seasons the Dallas Mavericks will feel better about letting Canadian Steve Nash leave for Phoenix. Right now, it can't hurt any worse.

The league MVP from Victoria capped his phenomenal post-season against his former team in glorious fashion Friday night, fuelling a rally that quickly wiped out a late 16-point deficit, forcing overtime by hitting a three-pointer with 5.7 seconds left, then making the three that put the Suns ahead for good in a 130-126 victory that sends Phoenix to the Western Conference finals.

Nash helped avoid a decisive seventh game by making his final five shots. He scored eight points in the final minute of regulation, then had seven more in overtime to finish with 39 points, 12 assists and nine rebounds - one board shy of his second straight triple-double.

When this tight, thrilling game and exciting, high-scoring series was over, Nash shared a brief hug with former teammate and close friend Dirk Nowitzki. Later, Nash thanked the Mavs and their fans for six wonderful years, although he didn't mention team owner Mark Cuban, who came up several years and more than $20 million US shy of Phoenix in his last contract offer.

Nash might have been too humble to rub it in, but his teammates weren't.

''They have to be crazy to let that boy go,'' forward Quentin Richardson said. ''Thank you, Dallas! I'm glad to be on his team.''

Dallas got 36 points from his replacement, Jason Terry, including a tough three-pointer with 3 seconds left that kept the drama going until the final buzzer.

Yet Mavs fans will remember Nash dribbling by Terry for the open shot that tied the game at 111 at the end of the fourth quarter, then Terry being berated by Nowitzki after the buzzer for his lousy defence.

Had Terry fouled Nash before he got to the three-point line, Nash would have gotten just two free throws. Terry also tried calling timeout after Nash's basket, but officials didn't see it and Jerry Stackhouse dribbled to the other end and missed a three at the buzzer.

Terry made a three-pointer that gave Dallas its only lead in overtime, 114-113. Nowitzki missed a wild, rushed three-pointer with about 11 seconds left that would have tied it at 126.

''We wanted to take a 3, but we wanted to take a good one,'' Mavs coach Avery Johnson said. ''We probably could have gotten a better look in that situation, but we stand behind him. It looked good when he shot it.''

Nowitzki, who finished third to Nash and Shaquille O'Neal in MVP voting, had 28 points, 13 rebounds and six assists. It was one of his better all-around games of the playoffs, but he slowed his own momentum by getting frustrated at fouls that he thought should have been called.

Drained but proud, the Suns after winning in six games will open the next round Sunday at home against the San Antonio Spurs. They even could have back starting guard Joe Johnson, who has been out since Game 2 of this round with an eye injury.

The Spurs will offer an interesting defensive challenge for the NBA's highest-scoring team of the last decade.

The Suns are trying to become the first offense-driven team to win the title since the Showtime-era Los Angeles Lakers. They've already become the first team to go from missing the playoffs one year and making the conference finals the next since Boston and New Jersey in 2002. The last West team to do it was Phoenix in 1989.

''This is fun for us to reach new heights,'' Nash said. ''We've done some special things. As far as the playoffs go, you don't get many opportunities at this. This was a big series, but it was only the second round.''

In becoming the first team to win consecutive games this series, Phoenix went from scoring 64 points the first 32 minutes to racking up 66 in the final 21 minutes. And the Suns did so with Amare Stoudemire capping a poor game by his standards (18 points, six rebounds) by fouling out with 1:40 left in regulation.

Stoudemire had 10 points in the first quarter, then didn't even take a shot in the second. Dallas' defense changed to contain him, but it left open Shawn Marion and he capitalized with a playoff career-best 38 points and 16 rebounds. Jim Jackson scored 16 and Richardson added 11 points and 13 rebounds.

''Our mentality all year has been, if we get down we can easily come back,'' Marion said. ''Sixteen points is nothing for us. We can score 16 points in a couple of minutes.''

Josh Howard provided Dallas with tremendous energy early and finished with 21 points and 14 rebounds. Stackhouse scored 19 and much-maligned Erick Dampier rebounded from a basket-less Game 5 to have 13 points and six rebounds.

Dampier was signed with much of the money the Mavs did not spend on Nash. It wasn't just for him, though, as Dallas was in the midst of changing from an offensive-driven club to one with more of a defensive focus.

Getting 58 wins in their transition year, while also enduring the change from coaching veteran Don Nelson to rookie Johnson, and taking the league's best team this far shows that the future is still bright - even without Nash.

''If we kept Steve, it would have been a completely different team,'' Cuban said. ''And I like this team a whole lot better.''

The Mavs already had overcome huge odds by wiping out an 0-2 deficit in the first round and winning a Game 7. They watched a tape of that before this game and responded by leading 80-64 with 4:01 left in the third.

But Phoenix tied it at 86 with 9:45 to play and led 95-90 with 6:14 left. Things were only starting to get interesting then.

Notes: The Suns last made the conference finals in 1993. ... Dallas was 3-4 at home in the playoffs. ... Phoenix never led by more than five points. ... The crowd of 20,915 set the franchise record for the fifth time in seven home games this post-season.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?id=125564)