PDA

View Full Version : Who do you prefer?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 02:40 PM
LED ZEPPELIN

BLACK SABBATH

DEEP PURPLE

I have to go for Deep Purple, because they really stand out for me, probably because of Jon Lord's organ/keyboards.

I have always felt that Led Zep are overrated and Black Sabbath, however good they were, were slightly depressing. Plus, I can't listen to Ozzy properly anymore.

DLR7884
05-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Zeppelin.

DLR7884
Period.

Matt White
05-07-2005, 02:51 PM
ZEPPELIN

EVERYBODY ELSE IS SECOND

DLR82VH
05-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Probably Zepplin the most out of those 3.

Big Fat Sammy
05-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Zeppelin.

DLR7884
Period.

Same...no contest

Anonymous
05-07-2005, 03:26 PM
David Lee Roth! Oh, wait...

Deep Purple right now, 'cos I recently bought Burn, and even though it's not as good as Ian's albums - quite close, though - I'm in love with the album. Constantly changing, though. I still remember when I got my hands on Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Heaven & Hell and Zeppelin's I & II, it was the exact same thing. No way Zep's overrated, Shaun. Grate 'contest', though. These three are definitely what classic rock is all about.

Cheers! :bottle:

MK5150
05-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Led Zep

Shaun Ponsonby
05-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
No way Zep's overrated, Shaun. Grate 'contest', though. These three are definitely what classic rock is all about.

I actually was gonna put a poll in, but I forgot.

I tells you why me thinks Led Zep are overrated, a lot of their riffs were rippeed off from other riffs. Of course, I am not denying the impact they have had, similary, I am not denying how influencial they have been. I actually admire them, and do enjoy some of their music, but I just think that they are overrated. Of course, many people believe otherwise, and I totally respect that. It's just my opinion, no-one need take any notice.

superdave
05-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Zep by far--Deep Purple has had some hits and misses--and Black Sabbath (not much of an Ozzy fan), well, can't say much good about them

Hardrock69
05-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Well, a difficult choice but I would say Led Zepp...they are more of an influence on my style....

Deep Purple very close 2nd, due to the viruosity of Ritchie Blackmore and the sheer power and range of Ian Gillan....

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Not difficult at all...

Zeppelin did it better than all the rest...then...and now...

BrownSound1
05-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Led Zeppelin by a landside.

To counter a point that Shaun brought up...EVERYONE has borrowed riffs from other sources. Most of Page's riffs, however, were pretty fuckin' original. If you want to talk about borrowing, don't look so much at Page, but instead look at Plant. He borrowed lyrics almost word for word on several early Zep tunes. Whole Lotta Love and The Lemon song immediately jump out, because they were taken from You Need Love and The Killing Floor respectively.

Now once you get past the early stuff...which were blues jams anyway, the rest is pretty much their own. They invented a sound and a style that has been often imitated but never duplicated.

Deep Purple was a great band...not as consistant as Zeppelin

Sabbath...another great one, but just not in the same league.

bueno bob
05-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Zeppelin, to me, was a SEVERELY overrated band, but that doesn't mean I don't like listening to them on occasion...it's just that I think they were really overrated and I have never been a fan of Plant's vocals, nor will I ever be...Purple was good, but it was, of course, very hit and miss for them since jump street....

Which leaves us the Tony Iommi band, the man who taught everybody else how to sound mean, evil and ornery on the guitar from 1970 until the end of time.

Need to ask still?

Living just for dying, dying just for you...

bueno bob
05-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Banned!

Fucking smurfs.

Panamark
05-08-2005, 01:51 AM
For me its tied between Sabbath and Led Zep.

ALinChainz
05-08-2005, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Zeppelin.

DLR7884
Period.

I'll second this.

ALinChainz
05-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
ZEPPELIN

EVERYBODY ELSE IS SECOND

OK, I'll second THIS.

ALinChainz
05-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Ah hell ... second all those Zep votes.

Rikk
05-08-2005, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
David Lee Roth! Oh, wait...

Deep Purple right now, 'cos I recently bought Burn, and even though it's not as good as Ian's albums - quite close, though - I'm in love with the album. Constantly changing, though. I still remember when I got my hands on Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Heaven & Hell and Zeppelin's I & II, it was the exact same thing. No way Zep's overrated, Shaun. Grate 'contest', though. These three are definitely what classic rock is all about.

BURN is fucking fantastic! Do you like YOU FOOL NO ONE? That's one of my all-time faves. LAY DOWN STAY DOWN and SAIL AWAY are also awesome.

Me, I'd say I love all three equally. I own every DEEP PURPLE album except for the one with that fag Joe Lynn Turner. I own all the Ozzy-era BLACK SABBATH albums. And I have everything Zep did, including boots.

And all three bands are among my favorites...it depends on my mood on a certain week. Zeppelin are, of course, the best. I'm a Zeppelin freak. But the other two bands are so damn good too...

HippieLettuce
05-08-2005, 02:19 AM
Zeppelin is in the top one...

I'll put The Who over both Sabbath and Deep Purple....

rustoffa
05-08-2005, 03:12 AM
Grand Funk deserves to be on that list.

They were the biggest band in the world for more than a few days.

Farner's high-energy antics were an anomaly at the time as well as their shows in general.

As far as the choices above, gotta go with Zep.

Anonymous
05-08-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
BURN is fucking fantastic! Do you like YOU FOOL NO ONE? That's one of my all-time faves. LAY DOWN STAY DOWN and SAIL AWAY are also awesome.

Me, I'd say I love all three equally. I own every DEEP PURPLE album except for the one with that fag Joe Lynn Turner. I own all the Ozzy-era BLACK SABBATH albums. And I have everything Zep did, including boots.

And all three bands are among my favorites...it depends on my mood on a certain week. Zeppelin are, of course, the best. I'm a Zeppelin freak. But the other two bands are so damn good too...

I love EVERY fuckin' sonfg on the album, bro! The title track gets me in an incredible mood for beer, and Lay Down makes me wanna... well, lay down and kick back, just enjoy the song. And Sail Away maybe one of the best ballads I've ever listened to.

"Sail away tomorrow,
Sailin' far away
To find it steal or borrow
I'll be there someday..."

Didn't Joe Lynn Turner appear on a Sabbath album, or sumthin'? I'd have to check my CD collection.

And I'm right with ya on the three depending on the mood. Sometimes you want Sabbath, sometimes Zep and sometimes Purple. All very different, all very classic. Both three of 'em rule!

BrownSound1
05-08-2005, 03:43 AM
Well Joe Lynn Turner was in Deep Purple Lite..aka Rainbow. The Ronnie James Dio fronted version of Rainbow was the best.

nosuchluck
05-08-2005, 05:40 AM
Deep Purple

Zeppelin a close second...

Hoongood
05-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Sabbath by a mile.

Deep Purple was OK.

I guess Zep was OK to, but after 30 years of maximum overexposure, I can't listen to that shit anymore.

Soul Reaper
05-08-2005, 09:17 AM
I like Deep Purple's classical leanings more than Led Zeppelin's blues influences.

I'm not a huge fan of Sabbath, but I still think they're great

Coyote
05-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Zeppelin. Purple second.

Never really got into Sabbath... not yet anyway.

Last_Child
05-08-2005, 10:05 AM
ehh...

Deep Purple, mostly because of Ian Gillans Vocals...
unfortunately I don't have Burn..

But Burn Can't be as good as In Rock!

scottd1984
05-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Led Zeppelin,hands down(and mind you i'm a Sabbath fan as well)

tydhurst
05-13-2005, 07:06 PM
It's Led Zeppelin.

DrMaddVibe
05-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Led Zeppelin

Out of those 3.

DLR7884
05-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Looks like Zeppelin is running away with this one.

DLR7884
If I had time I'd tally the votes.

Panamark
05-13-2005, 08:38 PM
What year did Zep officially become a band ??

I always thought they were around longer than Sabbath,
I always heard Zep was 69. Seems now Sabbath was 69 too.

1969, the birth of Heavy Metal ??