PDA

View Full Version : Happy VE-Day, To Everyone!!!!

Cathedral
05-08-2005, 11:57 AM
The Allies overran Germany from the west during April 1945 as Russian forces advanced from the east. Only a few strategic targets remained for attack from the air and these were rapidly destroyed. The last mission against an industrial target took place on April 25 when the famous Skoda armament works at Pilsen, Czechoslovakia were bombed.

The AAF then began flying mercy missions, dropping food to people in northern Italy and the Netherlands and evacuating released prisoners of war. On May 2, German forces in Italy and southern and western Austria stopped fighting and on May 7, after 3 1/2 years of war with the U.S., Nazi Germany surrendered unconditionally.

The air offensive conducted by the AAF in conjunction with the RAF against Germany and Italy was of tremendous value in bringing about victory in Europe with the final defeat of these two nations. It was costly, however, for the AAF losses from all causes totaled 27,694 aircraft, including 8,314 heavy bombers, 1,623 medium and light bombers, and 8,481 fighters destroyed in combat. Total AAF battle casualties were 91,105 personnel--34,362 killed, 13,708 wounded, and 43,035 missing, captured, or interned.

Before they could be completed, these new Me 262s were systematically destroyed by the Germans to prevent the Allies from capturing them intact.

By April 1945, the German Army was shattered. On April 25, American and Soviet forces met at the Elbe River. Five days later, Hitler committed suicide in his Berlin bunker. His successor, Admiral Karl Doenitz, sent General Alfred Jodl to the SHAEF (Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces) detachment in Rheims to seek terms for an end to the war. At 2:41 a.m. on May 7, general Jodl signed for the unconditional surrender of German forces on all fronts, which was to take effect on May 8 at 11:01 p.m. After six years and millions of lives lost, the Nazi scourge was crushed and the war in Europe was finally over.

Cathedral
05-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Took this yesterday at the USAF Museum...........

Cathedral
05-08-2005, 12:36 PM
In this picture you will see two tall monuments. Both of these men are my great uncles who fought and died for this country in WWII.

The monument in the foreground is my great uncle S/Sgt. Robert Westerfield, he was shot down over germany on Feb 18th, 1945 along with his band of brothers in their B-17G Bomber, he was the top turret gunner.

In the back ground is his brother's monument, my great uncle S/Sgt. Claude Westerfield, he was a fighter pilot and was shot down over Germany on Feb 10th, 1944.

I am researching their service records and writing a book about their lives. Claude was at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941 and was one of the few pilots who managed to get their planes off the ground. footage of him defending Pearl was used in the film Pearl Harbor, identified by the call letters of the plane...i got goose bumps when my grandma told me this and showed me the clip.

I never fully understood the magnitude of my families history in WWII America until the past few weeks while chatting with my grandma and learning how proud everyone was about the sacrifices made.
Both of them told their wives they would not come home, and they enlisted anyway.

It made me realise one very important fact about how some Americans see our country today. they have forgotten that freedom is not free, it comes with a heavy price that has not and could not be paid in one lump sum.
It is only by installments due upon every generation that future generations will remain free.

God Bless our Soldiers of the past, present and future, and may God continue to Bless America!

Mishar_McLeud
05-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Happy V-Day to everyone, and thanks for each and everyone's country's contribution to the victory over the Nazi regime. There is no major role or minor role - there were people fighting and dying for their countries, and those who came to Europe from over the Atlantic. But not a single country would have survived without it's aliasies. Let's just stand together and not slive the victory into 'ours' or 'theirs' - because it's the only one.

kentuckyklira
05-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
and may God continue to Bless America! Desperate, America will take any support it can get anyhow!:p