PDA

View Full Version : QUEEN and Paul Rogers Review!!

stilleddiesangel
05-10-2005, 01:28 PM
My review..

http://img219.echo.cx/img219/9691/queen11yu.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

In the country where Queen and Freddie Mercury are adored, this line up was always going to be a massive gamble. But last night, in front of a packed, sold-out house at Sheffield arena, northern England, Queen and Paul Rogers pulled off the seemingly impossible.

In the minutes before lift off the atmosphere in the arena, filled to capacity with a mix of old and young, suits and die hard mulletheads, was so electric it could power a small city with it's chanting clapping and mexican waves. As the lights went down we were puzzled to hear Eminem's Lose yourself (who's words seemed bizzarely appropriate) which blended, and were over taken by, the unmistakenly familiar wail of Brian May's guitar. The crowd went nuts!!! Queen and Paul Roger piled into the first of 2 1/2 hours of pure rock till you drop magic with "Tie your mother down".

May, Roger Taylor and their co-musicians, delighted the crowd with a tight, explosive set of such classics as "I want to break free", "I want it all", "Fat Bottomed Girls", "Another one bites the dust", "Under Pressure" and "It's a kind of magic" whilst Rogers sang true to the songs but with his own style. Seeing a whole arena stand and clap to "Radio Gaga" just like in the video was a spectacle in it's self. A huge talent in his own right, Rogers did the impossible and pulled it off by being himself and having the humility and respect NOT to try and overshadow the ghost of Freddie Mercury. I believe a bigger ego would have battled in vain and failed. This gig was about Queen's music, and the music was the star of the night.

As well as Queen classics we were also treated to some Free/Bad Company anthems, "Wishing Well, "Feel like making love", "Can't get enough of your love" . Truly fantastic stuff and blended well with the Queen set list.

As well as an incredibly brilliant solo by May, he heightened the huge emotional state of the audience when, the the end of a central catwalk two barstools were placed, (one for him.. one empty for his lost friend) he beautifully paid his own tribute to Freddie and Freddie's mother who was there last night, with a version of "Love of my life". Huge hulking grown men swallowed their rising emotions as the whole arena accompanied May, and sang with him. Another poignant moment was a big screen visit to the early queen days during "Days of our lives".

The main set was concluded with, of course, Bohemian Rhapsody. Brilliantly executed with Freddie Mercury vocals, accompanied by a collection of previous tour footage of him singing it, to the head banging cresendo where Rogers flawlessly took over.. "So you think you can stop me and spit in my eye"... How there is still a roof on this arena is a miracle.. the clapping and whistling and foot stomping seemed to shake the foundations.. Awesome.

Coming back on for the encore, Queen and Rogers came back with Freddie's own message.. "The show must go on" before delighting the crowd which he said, on introduction was alright then, and it's "Alright Now" !!!!!!! But a Queen gig could not end without the crowd pleasing, interactive wall shaking "We will rock you" and finally, to end an amazing evening, the arm swaying "We are the champions".

Phew!!! I walked out hot, sticky, with ears ringing, voice croaking and an enormous smile on my face. All was right with the world.

Queen's decision to tour after 18 years and without their legendary singer was indeed a brave one which must have come after a lot of soul searching. The concept is without doubt, a huge success. The band were fantastic (especially as they are in their fifties.... hmm sounds familiar!!!) and Rogers' performance exceptional.

Freddie was there in spirit last night, I have no doubt, and he and his music will not be allowed to be forgotten. The legend lives on!!

http://img219.echo.cx/img219/492/queen27no.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Shaun Ponsonby
05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Which show did you go to?

Yea, I almost cried whenever Freddie came onto the screen. I must say, in Manchester last week (which featured an appearence from Peter Kay and Paddy), the atmosphere was unlike I have ever experienced before.

I am happy that Rodgers knew that people would want to hear Queen songs, and that he happy to sing a set mostly full of Queen songs, if you know what I mean.

Love Of My Life was Freddie's favourite, I think.

Do you know what...I would have been disappointed if they HADN'T finished with WWRY/CHAMPS.

I loved that Brian ended his solo with 'Last Horizan' from his solo 'Back To The Light' album. An excellent, recommended release.

As a matter of fact, I am about to send an e-mail to a magazine that called the Brixton warm-up show

"Shambollic" and "Pear-shaped", and said Brian's solo was bad. Unhappy about that, as it is the ONLY bad review I have seen, and along with everyone else, applaudes the band for their amazing efforts.

DLR82VH
05-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Sounds cool I was kinda skeptical myself about these gigs with Taylor , but sounds like they pulled it off.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-11-2005, 04:46 PM
You mean Rodgers.

Taylor has been in Queen since before day 1.

stilleddiesangel
05-12-2005, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Which show did you go to?

Yea, I almost cried whenever Freddie came onto the screen. I must say, in Manchester last week (which featured an appearence from Peter Kay and Paddy), the atmosphere was unlike I have ever experienced before.

I am happy that Rodgers knew that people would want to hear Queen songs, and that he happy to sing a set mostly full of Queen songs, if you know what I mean.

Love Of My Life was Freddie's favourite, I think.

Do you know what...I would have been disappointed if they HADN'T finished with WWRY/CHAMPS.

I loved that Brian ended his solo with 'Last Horizan' from his solo 'Back To The Light' album. An excellent, recommended release.

As a matter of fact, I am about to send an e-mail to a magazine that called the Brixton warm-up show

"Shambollic" and "Pear-shaped", and said Brian's solo was bad. Unhappy about that, as it is the ONLY bad review I have seen, and along with everyone else, applaudes the band for their amazing efforts.

I was at Sheffield. That magazine writer is an idiot. Brians solo was jaw dropping.. made Ed from the last tour look like a beginner.