05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
here it is...

Big Fat Sammy
05-10-2005, 02:34 PM
and the board...

GAR
05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
I'd suggest you put the wah to the far right;

- then put the power strip to the far left w/switch to the top, channel switchbox to the right of that, elevated on a chunk of 2x4 cutoff nailed to the board underneath it.

Then put a DOD270 ($30 switchbox) below that to option either distortion, the big green (Fulltone?) or the TS9 reissue because it looks like you "sometimes" like the TS9 but can't decide to take the Fulltone off the board because you like that too, well you dont have to.

Then put the blue Arion phaser next to the DOD270 A-B swtich/ampchannel arrangement, then the TS9 then the wah.

The wah should be first in all chains IMO.

So physically going from right to left:

Wah, Fulltone (rotated sideways), TS9 and Phaser (side-by-side but below Fulltone) Channel Switch (elevated by 2x4) above, DOD a-b box below, powerstrip.

Electrically, going form right to left inputs:

Crybaby Wah>a-B Box (to Fulltone and TS9 Ins)>phaser>amp.

Channel switch isn't in the path because it has no live signal obviously.

Big Fat Sammy
05-10-2005, 04:58 PM
GAR,

see what you can come up with now, with a little more info...

...thats the way I would run it, BUT I am LEFT LEGGED! But I'm right handed. My left foot goes on the wah wah, and it must be on the left, because there isn't always much room to move around.

The phase is an electra phase btw.

The BIG Green is an echo that I use on only one song, last in the chain. Sits on the floor..uses a battery only. Its just laying there in the pic.. No need to worry bout that one.

The tubescreamer is used as a boost on the overdrive channel only, so I really don't need the a/b box, I don't think.

The open space where the Big GREEN is sitting, is for a boss distortion that I use sometimes, for one reason....

I'm looking for a distortion ( the boss one, it sucks for this) that will be very distorted and thick sustain and CAN BE ADJUSTED TO DO THAT at VERY low volumes...for songs that I play single string leads UNDERNEATH singers...kinda like the Isley Bros...but I get regular volume when its bypassed..maybe a Big Muff would do that.

Big Fat Sammy
05-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Oh yeah, I do need to raise the channel switch. lol

GAR
05-10-2005, 06:24 PM
What is that board anyways, a piece of bookshelf?

It will do fine till you finalize your setup.

Big Fat Sammy
05-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Its plywood. They are garbage bag tied on. Its been switched around and changed alot. As you can see the missing wood where there is no paint, holes drilled everywhere.

This is a step up for me....I was using one of those plastic racks they put flowers in...like from a greenhouse or nursery, here's a pic of that raggedy shit...lol

jojo2371
05-11-2005, 04:14 PM
i totally agree with gar on that set-up (cool gear btw) tell me how does that traynor sound by itself ? is it 1 speaker or 2 ???

GAR
05-11-2005, 04:28 PM
The problem, and I agree with your dilemna because I prefer the left foot on the wah, ithe deal is that most pedals have their inputs on the Rhand side, outputs on Lhand.

Trying to move it the other way around is one solution: other words, reverse my recommendation and drill 1" holes beneath each input with a Spade bit or a hole saw, like what is used for doing doorlock sets onto new doors.

I'd first draw a front-line so the layout's pretty clear and balanced for carrying purposes. Sharpie-marker an outline around each pedal with 2" between, with the face of each pedal close along that boards' front straightline.

Then, mark an arrow pointing to each jack between pedals.

Then, drill the 1" hole exactly equidistant, between those marks for the patch connections to come up from underneath.

Last Id relocate the power strip and wallwart adaptors to the underside ledge of that board because it looks like it's high enough up to allow it. Add a 1x4" trim across from underneath and bolt the powerstrip to that and it should be fine. Id also drive a pair of drywall screws above and below each wallwart plugged in to lace some 20 gauge baling or copper wire around there to hold the warts in place because I FUCKING HATE when the powers come loose and you have to fuck with 'em to come on.

That's why I like the DC Power brick idea.

GAR
05-11-2005, 04:29 PM
The other thing I wanted to mention is how great 1" or wider strips of Velcro Adhesive Fabric works for pedalboards if you didn't already know.

Zip ties used as hold downs never really work out except as a theft deterrant retainer.

Big Fat Sammy
05-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks,

It's one speaker. Everyone thinks there is two. But just one 12in.

Sounds great. I was using a Marshall JCM 602 for about 8 years (cracked circut board) and switched to Fender for a couple of months. First a vintage Deluxe Reverb '73 (great clean tone, but only one channel) then a new Hot Rod Deville 4-10 (overpriced, heavy as shit, way too loud, and the disto channel sucked)

...then got this Traynor about 20 gigs ago.

It is better than any new Fender in the clean channel and the OD channel blows any Fenders OD away...even the ones that cost twice as much. The drive channel sounds like the Marshall when I use the TS and it is very quiet compared to both the Fenders and Marshall. So its my all time favorite amp so far. I don't miss the Marshall at all now, as this amp is more reliable and consistent, and no hum at all. Plus its self biasing.

The guitar is a 52 reisue Fender Tele with a $50 Tiawan "Premier" neck (truss rod doesn't work lol) but I wore the frets off the original neck (they were small to start with). Other than the pickgaurd and neck, all stock.

Big Fat Sammy
05-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by GAR
The problem, and I agree with your dilemna because I prefer the left foot on the wah, ithe deal is that most pedals have their inputs on the Rhand side, outputs on Lhand.

Trying to move it the other way around is one solution: other words, reverse my recommendation and drill 1" holes beneath each input with a Spade bit or a hole saw, like what is used for doing doorlock sets onto new doors.

I'd first draw a front-line so the layout's pretty clear and balanced for carrying purposes. Sharpie-marker an outline around each pedal with 2" between, with the face of each pedal close along that boards' front straightline.

Then, mark an arrow pointing to each jack between pedals.

Then, drill the 1" hole exactly equidistant, between those marks for the patch connections to come up from underneath.

Last Id relocate the power strip and wallwart adaptors to the underside ledge of that board because it looks like it's high enough up to allow it. Add a 1x4" trim across from underneath and bolt the powerstrip to that and it should be fine. Id also drive a pair of drywall screws above and below each wallwart plugged in to lace some 20 gauge baling or copper wire around there to hold the warts in place because I FUCKING HATE when the powers come loose and you have to fuck with 'em to come on.

That's why I like the DC Power brick idea.

So what you are sayin' is....just run my main cord coming from the guitar underneath the board and up through a hole next to the wah input?

Then run one out of the wah (underneath again) back to where i normally would plug in right?

And one more question...will that velcro hold even if i turn the board upside down? lol seriously.

GAR
05-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Velcro holds anything to anything if the strip adhesive has a clean and non-greasy surface to attach to.

I've even used it for them big clunky Ernie Ball Stereo Volume pedals, they weigh about 5 pounds.

http://www.jcband.com/jcone2.jpg

- and what I was saying is if you take my layout advice and just flip it around, and run your patch cords from underneath you should be able to still get by with the same short cords between effects, because instead of going from right-to-left, your first input will be to a wah pedal on the left - so the patching then goes from left-to-right but from underneath the board.

GAR
05-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Roxy, 1990.

This guy used Velcro like carpet on his effects, I never had a problem working his rig losing anything on the pedalboard and he had a difficult setup so it had to flawless.

If all you can get is 1" wide velcro rolls, tape them from edge to edge of the bottom of your effect and then trip the excess off with a box cutter razor or similar knife, then roll the edge tight so no dirt or contamination works the fabric loose.

Big Fat Sammy
05-11-2005, 05:06 PM
cool I will try that and have it ready for this weekend.

I just need one long patch cord to go underneath from the wah out to the TS input.

Big Fat Sammy
06-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Here's new the updated, stripped down, custom pedalboard.

I cut it in half, raised the switch, velcroed everything down (exept the strip) and painted the EVH design to fuck with the gearheads at the shows.

Tried the wah first in the chain and wasn't as good of a tone, it was thinner with the wah and TS on at the same time. It really doesn't matter since I only use one effect at a time, mostly. But sometimes the TS and the wah is left on and not rocked...just set in the middle for that weird midrange tone.

Big Fat Sammy
06-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Now I just need a way to hold the AC cords in place.

zeronumber
06-01-2005, 10:32 PM
When I first read the threads name, I thought you had the audacity to post something about that garbage band "Bowling For Soup", but I realize that the letters are Initals of your username...

Anyway, tight ass rig.
Nice tele btw.

Rock on and Rock loud. \\m//

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 01:22 AM
LMAO at "Bowling For Soup"! Thats great!

Thank ya! The original Tele neck has now found its way to the strat.

zeronumber
06-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Cool, cool.

Anyway, you ever thought about getting a Effects board? I like stand alone pedals too...but constantly having to tap dance either at practice or on stage annoys the shit out of me.

That's why I like the boards, because then you can asign chain effects by 1 pedal alone.

Like my Zoom board I have

Pedal 1: Clean w/ Chorus and Delay
Pedal 2: Distortion w/ Chorus and Delay
Pedal 3: Flanger w/Distortion and Delay
Pedal 4: Metal distortion w/Phaser and Delay.

Then to when it's time to solo, I just turn on my wah connected to the board, and use it with a current patch...

So instead of say having 7-8 pedals lying around, in a total chaotic mess, I only have 3...

The pedal board, A volume pedal, and my Wah.

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by zeronumber
Cool, cool.

Anyway, you ever thought about getting a Effects board? I like stand alone pedals too...but constantly having to tap dance either at practice or on stage annoys the shit out of me.

That's why I like the boards, because then you can asign chain effects by 1 pedal alone.

Like my Zoom board I have

Pedal 1: Clean w/ Chorus and Delay
Pedal 2: Distortion w/ Chorus and Delay
Pedal 3: Flanger w/Distortion and Delay
Pedal 4: Metal distortion w/Phaser and Delay.

Then to when it's time to solo, I just turn on my wah connected to the board, and use it with a current patch...

So instead of say having 7-8 pedals lying around, in a total chaotic mess, I only have 3...

The pedal board, A volume pedal, and my Wah.

Your talking about multi-effects boards. All the digital stuff I've tryed is too processed for the tone I go for, which is all coming from the amp. I've tryed those, and just can't seem to make them work for me.

Mostly because the gigs I play, whether with the main band, or sub gigs, there is little or no rehearsal or soundcheck...so settings have to be changed on the fly for the first several songs.

I see what you are saying about chain effects, but I still only use one at a time.

I play 90% of the time with all FX off...either on the clean channel, or OD channel on the amp, and I usually don't switch them during songs.

And if it's the OD channel I'm on, I use the TS or 2nd OD "Boost" channel for a little volume boost and sustain on some solos.

If I'm playing clean, I don't change anything for the solos...I just hit the strings harder to cut through.

The phase is used on several songs, with the knobs turned off exept the speed goes straight up. It's never switched on or off during the middle of songs either.

The wah is only used on a couple of the OD channel songs.

I add on an anolog echo for the first song of the third set, it stays on for that one song all the way through, then taken out of the chain if I have time.

So there is not much tapdancing on pedals.

But for people using more FX, and FX combinations at the same time, I'm quite sure the multi FX boards are the way to go.

I play in a backing band for an old school R&B vocal group, The Four Mints. The moment I were to step on Distortion w/ Chorus and Delay, I would have 4 motherfuckers turn around and rip me a new one! :D

Nitro Express
06-02-2005, 01:05 PM
I remember looking into one of the Apollo commander capsuls at the Kennedy Space Center and everything in there was covered with velcro. If I remember right, velcro was actually invented to hold things for space missions. I had a problem with my velcro coming unstuck from my board and I just got out a bottle of Gorilla Glue and that did the trick.

Nitro Express
06-02-2005, 01:14 PM
I think using a rack system makes sense if you have a shit load of effects. You can even mount individual peddles into the rack to get them off the stage.

I'm running 6 peddles and if I have them organized, I don't have any problems. My only problem is my foot hits the lower knob on my Double Muff and turns the level down. That's annoying as hell, I'm tempted to put another A/B switch in and just leave that effect on all the time.

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
That what I did...I made sure it wasn't going anywhere with some crazy glue.

It holds alot better than I though it would.. on the heavy ass wah.

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I think using a rack system makes sense if you have a shit load of effects. You can even mount individual peddles into the rack to get them off the stage.

I'm running 6 peddles and if I have them organized, I don't have any problems. My only problem is my foot hits the lower knob on my Double Muff and turns the level down. That's annoying as hell, I'm tempted to put another A/B switch in and just leave that effect on all the time.

I would need a roadie and a guitar tech before I would break out a rack system. :D

Those big knobs can be cool though...like on my echo, it can be adjusted with your foot.

zeronumber
06-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Meh, That's what I like about having a pedal board with a volume/control pedal.

You can actually adjuct the amount of delay or an effect by moving the pedal.

The only thing I got to say, bad about pedal boards is the fuzz setting is pretty tame.

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 03:59 PM
yeah and alot of them force you to use some kind of amp modeling in the chain as well.

It would be cool if they made an analog pedal with phase / chorus echo and reverb all in one with no distortion or OD.

zeronumber
06-02-2005, 04:14 PM
It would, but then the likes of Zoom, Digitech, Boss and others would go out of buisness. Hence why I hate most pedal companies, mostly theire forcing you to buy a bulk load of their shit, plus extra added nuncess such as pedal wires, adapters, and straps.

That shit get's pricey after a while too. Espesially for little chords between pedals that range anywere from 8-30 bucks.

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Damn right. Equipment in general is overpriced...and it takes alot of research to get exactly what you need, and a good deal.

Trying stuff out in a store is totally different than when you are at the show, and the amp is cranked, and you don't have time to fiddle with presets and knobs.

The absolute best deal I have found in 15 years is that Traynor Amp.

And the Premier Strat copy is great too. $99 dollars and as good as a Mexican Fender! W/ laminated natural finish too! lol

Nitro Express
06-03-2005, 02:56 AM
I cranked a Marshall half stack in a Guitar Center one time to test a peddle I was trying out and they went ape shit. Fortunately there was a mom and pop music store that specialized in guitars that didn't give a shit if you cranked something up, in fact, they had a basement room to do that in.

All the guitar tones and players I like use a small handful of effects. Mostly stomp boxes. There's no digital moddeling that's going to nail a good flange sound. Only a Phase 90 sounds like a Phase 90. You better have some good germanium transistors to get a good fuzz tone. Those all in one digital boxes don't do what the old analog stuff does.

To me, electric guitar is pushing a box full of valve tubes into distortion and using old transistor or tube technology in the effects chain. Sure the stuff is expensive. It always has been. But there's no $200 plastic box full of integrated circuits that is going to replace a Marshall Super Lead 100 or good stomp boxes anytime soon.

Big Fat Sammy
06-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express

To me, electric guitar is pushing a box full of valve tubes into distortion and using old transistor or tube technology in the effects chain.

Well said.

:D 5 Stars!

Thats the reason I use only a 40 watt amp. And I may get the 15 watt version of that amp too, for smaller gigs....so I can turn the volume knob ALL THE WAY UP!

With smaller wattages...you can get that TONE at reasonable volumes.

zeronumber
06-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Meh, with 15 watts, you can't even hear yourself play with a drummer around.

It's great for practice and back stage, last minute rehearsals though.

Frankly, I settle for nothing lower than 30watts, and noting louder than 75....

Not like 75 is that much louder than a 30, but you get my idea.

Big Fat Sammy
06-03-2005, 01:40 PM
It depends on the amp, I think.

I've heard the Traynor 15w amps are a very loud 15w.

Have a 65 watt Marshall that was perfect, then a 60w Fender Hot Rod Deville.

The Deville was WAY TOO LOUD. Couldn't get it past 2 1/2.

It was so sensitive.....I would have to put one finger on top of the volume knob, holding it down, and lightly tap it from the side with another finger to adjust the volume....for both channels, during songs.

Needless to say I ditched it after about 6 or 7 gigs.

zeronumber
06-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Meh, it has more to do with how much your drummer wants to let his kit resinate,a nd how big the room is.

If it's a small room, and you drummer plays with lids, you can easily get by with a 15 watt amp.

If your drummer plays with out it, and really bangs the living shit out his/her(got to be pc) drum, and you're playing a venue bigger than your garden variety Bar, than you'll need 50 or louder.

Marshalls are awesome though, but if you want loud, get a messaboogie...

There are tube amps...then there is boogie...
Though, those shits break easily.

Big Fat Sammy
06-03-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't play with drummers who bang the shit out of it.

Well, sometimes on a sub gig they will be bashing a bit, but I won't compete with them...I won't turn up that loud. They can mic it, and mix it in the front if they want....but I'm not having a blaring amp right behind me, especially if I'm singing.

It's their show not mine, so it's their responsibility to get a good mix. My job is to shut the fuck up and play. :D

The larger outdoor venues and festivals tend to have really good sound equipment and people who know how to run it. So they just mic the cab, and it's good to go. I can't see needing more than 40w anywhere....and with a GREAT PA and soundguy, and time to get a proper stage mix...you could play though alot less. But there usually isn't alot of time to get it right.

Never played Mesa, the ones I've heard sound geat though. From my experience, Marshalls break easy too. They break way too easy for how expensive they are.

I would probably still be playing through the Marshall, had the circut board not cracked. But it was starting to get thinner sounding, and noiser over the years anyway. Even after it had been serviced, ALOT.

zeronumber
06-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Meh, 50 is already pretty damn loud. The only thing considerably louder is a row of stacks...

Big Fat Sammy
06-03-2005, 02:38 PM
I LOVE LOUD...don't get me wrong. It's gotta be a good tone, not shrill high end treble. I don't like ringing ears. LOL

The drummer I'm playing with tomorrow night has this thing, this bell, ya know, like on a huge heavy ride cymbal? But there is no cymbal part, its just the dome shaped bell.

I try to stay as FAR AWAY from that thing as possible, cause when he hits it, it goes "CLAAAAAAAAANNNNNGGG!!"

I'm thinking of stealing it when he isn't looking...that damn thing is hell if your anywhere near it. :D

zeronumber
06-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I think they should label knobs better to get desired sound more easily

-Library
-Coffee shop
-Jazz
-Rock Band
-MotorHead

Big Fat Sammy
06-03-2005, 03:37 PM
LOL That would be cool.

Nitro Express
06-05-2005, 05:00 AM
My main squeeze is a 50 watt Marshall 1987 reissue. If you look at the actual decibel levels, 100 watts isn't much louder. 50 watts cranked through a 4x12 is loud and they tend to break up earlier than 100 watt amps. You have half the power tubes to replace.

Who's using stacks amymore? Most people just use the bottom cab. With modern PA's you don't need a row of stacks. They look cool as hell but you don't need them.

To my ears, I like the sound of the 50 watt amps a little better. They are a little warmer.

I rarely use practice amps. I just plug my Marshall into a 1x12 cabinet and push it with some good peddles. I use a good old DOD 250 overdrive for several things. It boosts my vintage Strat pickups enough to where it's hotter but still sounds good. It smooths out my Fuzzface. It still gives good dirt through an uncranked amp for practice. Sometimes I use an Electroharmonix Double Muff, but this peddle only sounds good with PAF pickups. My Wolfgang sounds like shit through that peddle. It works for a Les Paul and SG to where I'm getting a great early Zeppelin sound.

The right peddles can be the key to getting good tone at low volumes. The right combination of fuzz and overdrive peddles can make you sound like you are blazing through a cranked Marshall with the speakers about ready to blow at low practice levels. Plus the right peddles can behave just like a cranked amp by cleaning up with the volume knob.

So I use the same rig for playing gigs or practice. I just use my peddles a little different and use a smaller or bigger cab.

I have found Marshall cabs sound the best, whether you are using a 4x12 or 1x12. They are more expensive but worth every penny.

I can't emphasize enough about having the right speaker cabinet. I have a homemade 1x12 and it sounds great with a high gain amp like a Soldano but sounds like shit with the Marshall. So I highly recommend Marshal speakers cabinets in the size needed for the job.

I don't think getting a good sound is easy. Everything has to work right together: pickups, peddles, amps, and speakers. The unaware assume you just match things up based on their function, wattage, or size. It's not that easy. Everything has it's little quirks. Like if I played my Wolfgang through a Double Muff, the Marshall, and my homemade 1x12 speaker. Oh God does that sound like shit!

I don't know if there is a way of sculpturing your sound without wasting some money buying and trying things out. We've all bought peddles and amps we ended up hating. I think the answer is electric guitar is an instument that is good at eating your money. Sometimes I wish I would have just stuck with the saxaphone. A lot less shit to buy for that instument. LOL

Big Fat Sammy
06-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Yeah it takes trial and error to get it right.

Last night I was surprised to hear a borrowed guitar (broke a string) that used to sound like shit through the Marshall, kill through the Traynor.

I use single coils always, but this humbucker guitar sounded like the tele to me, just a little louder w/ more bass. It was an Electra.

On a side note.......last night someone finally mentioned the EVH paint job on the pedal board. After the show, this chick asked me if the paint job had "anything to do with Sammy?"

Said "Hell no!" :D "Dave all the way."