PDA

View Full Version : dont ya think Dio and Maiden are alot alike

Dave's Bitch
05-10-2005, 04:17 PM
I was listening to Dio(holy diver) today and i started thinkin dio is alot like maiden,his voice is the same sorta sound as maidens singing,the music is kinda similar although maiden tends to be faster than dio,but because non of my friends actually know who dio or maiden are i got noone to confir with about this,so gimme your thoughs on this

sammysucks65
05-10-2005, 04:38 PM
hi fellow axl fan...yea your right cause they sing about demons and dragons and stuff they also both rock!@@@@

bueno bob
05-10-2005, 04:40 PM
There are some similarities, I suppose...I think it's just kind of a "80's" similarity, though, for the most part. On a technical level, of course, Maiden had the twin leads while Dio has kept one guitarist throughout his career, Maiden was more epic while Dio was more upfront in getting to the point, and as you mentioned Maiden was the faster band...there are some points of similar reference between Bruce and Ronnie, they're both very dynamic and aggressive singers...Bruce is more of a screamer than Ronnie, though, no doubt.

I can see a few similar points of reference, I guess.

DLR82VH
05-10-2005, 04:56 PM
I guess they are kinda alike...........Dio and Bruce are both great singers.

I do agree Dio gets to the point while Maiden draws out long epic 9 minute songs.

Anonymous
05-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Sorry, but I for one, see absolutely NO similarities between the two. Neither lirically nor musically nor in the singing style.

Musically, Iron Maiden is more guitar oriented with the bass standing out a bit too (of course), while in Dio's songs it's all about the voice.

Lirically, Dio's style is all Sword and Sorcery, while noone in Iron Maiden is very fond of that subject.

And as for the singing style... well, Bruce Dickinson has that aggressive, high pitched fast approach that defines Metal, while Dio is more of a technicist and his singing is a bit slower and, to a point, operatic. Does that word exist?

Of course Bruce and Ronnie are two of the best singers ever, but that's about it...

Cheers! :bottle:

scottydabodi
05-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Comparing Dio and Maiden is like comparing a Lamborghini to a Ferrari, both fucken rule...

Jack68
05-10-2005, 10:08 PM
No.

Terry
05-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Somewhat, but there are more dissimilarities to me, 'specially the early to mid 1980s, which is my fave period for both bands.

Steve Harris and Jimmy Bain - pretty much a world of difference in terms of technique.

Dickinson and Ronnie James - Lyrically, Maiden and Dio don't have that much in common. Suppose Dickinson could sing Dio tunes and pull it off...am sure it would sound good, if not necessarily like Ronnie. Doubt Dio could pull off the Maiden stuff that's in a higher octave.

Vinnie and Nico - Think Nico prefers to play at a faster tempo, generally. Both are excellent drummers.

Viv and Ade n' Dave - Vivian Campbell was one shit-hot guitarist. Hard to compare bands with one axeman vs. two; totally different dynamic. Viv had some smokin' solos, whereas Dave n' Ade were never necessarily great soloists to me (not to say they sucked, Ade being a little more melodic and Dave more flashy), but they had more of a metallic Thin Lizzy vibe, with the melody/harmony counterparts worked out.

The Scatologist
05-10-2005, 11:34 PM
um other then the lyrical content, No.

Anonymous
05-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by scottydabodi
Comparing Dio and Maiden is like comparing a Lamborghini to a Ferrari, both fucken rule...

...yet they are very different. Grate thinking there, brother!

Cheers! :bottle:

bueno bob
05-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Sammy's Bitch
I was listening to Dio(holy diver) today and i started thinkin dio is alot like maiden,his voice is the same sorta sound as maidens singing,the music is kinda similar although maiden tends to be faster than dio,but because non of my friends actually know who dio or maiden are i got noone to confir with about this,so gimme your thoughs on this

Just out of curiosity, have you had a chance to hear Elf?

Soul Reaper
05-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Iron Maiden is more bombastic and lead guitar orientated, while Dio is more riff orientated and more to the point, as you guys have said.

two very different bands.

i can tell the difference between Dickinson and Dio. so quite a few dissimilarities there.

Hoongood
05-13-2005, 08:30 PM
They are very similar. Dio just doesn't have Steve Harris