PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft AntiSpyWare Beta

smaz
05-11-2005, 05:16 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Anti Spyware download from Microsoft, it's a Beta test version so it's free. Even if you have Anti Virus software, still get this as they're different things. I found something on my PC that got through...

Mac users, ignore this :D

Seshmeister
05-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Microsoft ANTI spyware software?

Ohh the irony...

Nickdfresh
05-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Microsoft ANTI spyware software?

Ohh the irony... :D

You even have to "register" your windows, cunts!

Fuck MS, get Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) people!

The only time I ever get spyware or cookies is when I use Explorer!

smaz
05-12-2005, 03:29 AM
:lol:

It says you need to register, but on the next page, you get the option of downloading without registering. They know how many people don't have legal copies :)

flappo
05-12-2005, 03:44 AM
hahah . macs fucking rule

there are 250 THOUSAND viruses . trojans and worms on windoze

hwo many on the mac ?

ZERO

and it's fuck all to do with market share

OS-X is inherently vastly more secure than xp

flappo
05-12-2005, 03:47 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/212437_rsaclarke17.html

Clarke rips Microsoft over security
Former White House adviser alludes to its vulnerabilities

By TODD BISHOP
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

SAN FRANCISCO -- Don't expect Richard Clarke to rely on Microsoft Corp.'s anti-virus or anti-spyware programs to protect his own computer.

"Given their record in the security area, I don't know why anybody would buy from them," the former White House cybersecurity and counterterrorism adviser said yesterday, when asked for his thoughts on Microsoft's forthcoming line of security software.

The observation came during an impromptu interview on the sidelines of the RSA computer security conference in San Francisco, where Clarke took part in panel discussions with other experts in technological and national security.

His take on Microsoft's planned security-software offerings underscores one of the major challenges the Redmond company will face as it proceeds -- the fact that many of the online threats encountered by computer users take advantage of vulnerabilities in the company's own products.

Microsoft has been trying to reduce and fix vulnerabilities as part of a broader companywide initiative to improve security and related issues.

Bill Gates this week also announced plans to supplement those efforts by offering anti-spyware software free to individual Windows users. The company also plans to release an anti-virus product this year and introduce a new version of Internet Explorer this summer -- about a year sooner than expected -- to boost security.

But Clarke, during one panel discussion yesterday, called on Microsoft and other software companies to become more publicly accountable in their efforts to develop secure software. He said he asked Microsoft last year to disclose the specific quality-assurance practices it was following in the pursuit of more-secure software code.

The idea, he said, would be for the software industry to collectively come up with a set of best practices for secure software development. Outside experts would then be able to judge how well each company lives up to those practices.

"There's no fine involved, there's no liability involved, but the marketplace is better informed, and the marketplace works better when it knows what's going on," Clarke said, drawing a round of applause from the crowd at San Francisco's Moscone Center. Panelists compared the concept to the effort to hold public companies to standards for financial reporting under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

Asked about the issue afterward, Clarke acknowledged that he doesn't believe Microsoft would ever agree to such a plan.

In a statement responding to Clarke's comments, Microsoft said it has formalized its internal security efforts by adopting an official life cycle that it uses to develop secure software, in addition to publishing books and other materials about the methods it follows. At the same time, the company said it makes its security-related tools available to independent developers, works with other companies on security issues and offers formal training on security.

"The market is demanding security now, and that hard work is going forward already," said Amy Roberts, director of product management in Microsoft's Security Business and Technology Unit, in the statement.

During a panel discussion on technology regulation, Rick White, a former Republican congressman from Washington state, agreed with Clarke that it would be good to establish visible standards by which companies could be judged in the marketplace.

"I think that's a blueprint for something that probably works," said White, now chief executive of technology lobbying organization TechNet. "It's just a question of how far you get the government involved."

But on the subject of government involvement, White and Clarke disagreed, as illustrated by a related discussion of Internet service providers. Clarke said he would want to see government regulation of ISPs to ensure that they offer adequate levels of security to their customers.

etc etc

Bob_R
05-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Fuck MS, get Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) people!

The only time I ever get spyware or cookies is when I use Explorer!

Exploit code chases two Firefox flaws
May 9, 2005, 8:14 AM PT

Two vulnerabilities in the popular Firefox browser have been rated "extremely critical" because exploit code is now available to take advantage of them.

The cross-site scripting and remote system access flaws were discovered in Firefox version 1.0.3, but other versions may also be affected, said security company Secunia, which issued the ratings Sunday.

The two vulnerabilities, when combined, can be exploited, but no known cases have yet emerged where an attacker took advantage of the public exploit code.

One flaw involves "IFRAME" JavaScript URLs, which are not properly protected from being executed in the context of another URL in the history list.

"If you visit a malicious Web site, it can steal cookie information from other Web sites you had previously visited," said Thomas Kristensen, Secunia's chief technology officer. The attacker could then use that information to engage in identity theft or gain access to other password-protected sites that the victim visited.

A second vulnerability exists in the IconURL parameter in InstallTrigger.install(). Information passed to this parameter is not properly verified before it's used, allowing an attacker to gain user privileges. This flaw could allow an attacker to gain and escalate user privileges on a system.

People who want new extensions or themes need to go to the Mozilla update service. These extensions and themes will need to be manually installed.

Since the vulnerabilities were discovered over the weekend, the Mozilla Foundation, which owns Firefox, has taken preventive measures.

Mozilla has changed its update Web service and advises people to temporarily disable JavaScript.

However, people who download and install the Mozilla software from third-party sites are still at risk, Kristensen said.

"The threat still exists but is less critical now," he noted. "People can go to third-party sites to install the software, but it's not going to happen on as wide a scale as it had with the Mozilla sites."

Nickdfresh
03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Bump!

Nickdfresh
03-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Good shiite BTW!

Hardrock69
03-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Do NOT install that Microsoft piece of fucking shit!!!

I would trust them like I would an angry cobra!

They are not in the "adware/spyware" detection/removal business.

Their attitude is to buy someone out, throw a bunch of money at the new acquisition, and try to drive other legitimate producers of EFFECTIVE software out of business while promoting their inferior product.

That is their standard operating procedure.

If you want the best, get AdAware and/or Spybot Search & Destroy.

Read my post here:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=882491#post882491

Nickdfresh
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Do NOT install that Microsoft piece of fucking shit!!!

I would trust them like I would an angry cobra!

They are not in the "adware/spyware" detection/removal business.

Their attitude is to buy someone out, throw a bunch of money at the new acquisition, and try to drive other legitimate producers of EFFECTIVE software out of business while promoting their inferior product.

That is their standard operating procedure.

If you want the best, get AdAware and/or Spybot Search & Destroy.

Read my post here:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=882491#post882491

Actually, MS didn't design it, 'GIANT' did, whoever they are...

It's a good program, trust me, but you have to have licensed WindowsXP...

Mr. Vengeance
03-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Spyware Dr. is very very good. Go with that, but you have to buy it. If you're a cheap MF, go with Ad Aware, but you don't get as much protection.

The 2006 NAV has spyware protection as well, but it only worries about the major stuff, little cookies don't get noticed.

Terry
03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Spybot is pretty good. Fixed a lot of shit on my pc.

Viruses and spyware/adware are just an expected cost of doing business online, way I see it. You can get whatever ad killer software you want, but the fuckers are just going to find a way around it.

Plus, if you back up your essentials on hard discs, even if your system DOES totally crash, the world won't end. Worst thing that happens is you get a new hard drive.

I'm just all done panicking over that type of shit.

Flash Bastard
03-16-2006, 11:28 PM
My computer used to be bogged down by viruses and worms. But thanks to freeware from Download dot com, my computer is locked up tighter than a nun's ass on Easter morning.

Thank you faceless corporate entity!

rustoffa
03-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Flash Bastard
Thank you faceless corporate entity!

I'm glad you had a positive experience.

Me?

I clicked on one of the "Free Screensaver" pop-ups' and fucked everything up.

You could either choose some kind of an aquarium background, or some bitch with her ass in the air on a beach.

Now, when this fucking thing goes into screensaver mode, it's like a crazy blinking avatar....first the fish, then the bitch's ass in the air.

The other day, I was going to pull up this spreadsheet or some shit....the person I was going to show the spreadsheet to was like, "That's the most progressive screensaver I've ever seen!"

I just shut it off.
:(