PDA

View Full Version : Oh grate...yet ANOTHER fucking Iron Maiden live album

bueno bob
05-11-2005, 06:36 PM
IRON MAIDEN - Death On The Road DVD/CD Details Revealed [Hot Flashes - 05.05.11 12:27:00]

The following update has been posted at IRON MAIDEN’s website (www.ironmaiden.com):

Iron Maiden have confirmed they are to release a double DVD and live album titled Death On The Road through EMI Records on August 29th, 2005.

The show was filmed at the Westfalenhalle Arena, Dortmund, Germany during the Dance Of Death European Tour in December 2003 and fully captures the magnificent stage production and electricity of the band’s performance. Steve Harris once again took weeks personally editing the footage and like Rock In Rio this means thousands of cuts right into the heart of the action.

Says Steve Harris, “The shows on that tour were perhaps far more theatrical than some of our recent tours so it has a very different feel than that of, say, Rock in Rio which was a massive festival environment. The 115 minute show was originally filmed by VIVA TV in Germany to broadcast across their national TV network a few days afterwards. However TV and DVD are always very different mainly owing to the time restrictions. So we’ve spent time starting from the bare bones to create a full length concert feature that captures the excitement of the show but also the drama as well. I think when people see songs like Paschendale and Dance Of Death they’ll be blown away by the spectacle. At the same time there are some great moments in Journeyman that I think will surprise a few people. Iron Maiden with acoustic guitars?! I’m really happy with the end result as it captures the dark and lighter moments perfectly.”

The album and PCM Stereo/5.1 Surround sound for the DVD has been mixed and produced by Kevin ‘Caveman’ Shirley and co-produced, as always, by Steve Harris.

The Double DVD also features a full 70-minute documentary directed by Matthew Amos charting the album’s creation and then subsequent preparations for the following tour. The feature length program includes candid and personal footage of the band during the recording and writing of the album, which is the first time it’s ever been filmed.

Says Manager Rod Smallwood, “The documentary is something quite special for the fans as it really is a very revealing portrait of how Maiden work together recording and it took me hours to persuade them to let the cameras in the recording studio. Previously they’d never allowed any of that to be filmed but this time we decided to have a camera floating around to try and capture the Maiden recording process. A lot of it was filmed by the Kevin Shirley and the band themselves. I think it’s a great representation of the talent, effort and humour of a Maiden recording session. The documentary also covers what it takes to set up a major World Tour and has various interviews with our Killer Krew and hopefully it will be as insightful and interesting as the well received Early Days documentary footage.

“As usual we have crammed as much as possible into the DVD’s with a host of extras including all of the promo videos from the album, footage of the band performing in South America, background interviews with members of the production crew and fans along the tour, artwork and photo galleries. Many hours of Maiden mayhem.

“Like Rock In Rio we have again decided to release a DVD and CD. Those who have DVD players will presumably opt for the DVD but we wanted to ensure all fans could get at least the audio of this tour and many countries of the World do not have widespread capacity to play DVDs.”

The full set list from the show is: ‘Wildest Dreams’, ‘Wrathchild’, ‘Can I Play With Madness’, ‘Trooper’, ‘Dance Of Death’, ‘Rainmaker’, ‘Brave New World’, ‘Paschendale’, ‘Lord Of The Flies’, ‘No More Lies’, ‘Hallowed Be Thy Name’, ‘Fear Of The Dark’, ‘Iron Maiden’, ‘Journeyman’, ‘The Number Of The Beast’, ‘Run To The Hills’.

The release of the DVD and live album coincides with their headlining performance at this year’s Reading and Leeds Festivals which sold out within hours of going on sale. Reading Festival holds a special place in Maiden history. The band played their first headlining show there in 1980 and the following year a certain Bruce Dickinson was famously approached backstage for the job of vocalist before returning in 1982 for Iron Maiden's second headlining appearance, this time as the front man.

The Reading and Leeds appearances will complete their busy summer touring schedule that includes top billing at major European Festivals and their own headlining stadium dates like their record breaking show in Gothenburg at the 55,000 capacity Ullevi Stadium that sold out in a mere two and a half hours. Just prior to Reading and Leeds the band will be joining BLACK SABBATH on Ozzfest in North America, plus a handful of arena headline dates.

Mr Badguy
05-11-2005, 06:58 PM
This is great news.

I went to see the "DOD" show in Glasgow but I was so pissed I can hardly remember any of it.

Now I`ll get to enjoy the spectacle without the blurry effects of beer goggles.

Antman
05-11-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm still looking for the Live After Death DVD from Long Beach Arena on the Powerslave tour. It was available on VHS and I taped it when it was on MTV's Saturday night Concert years ago but since lost the tape.

Mr Badguy
05-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Antman
I'm still looking for the Live After Death DVD from Long Beach Arena on the Powerslave tour. It was available on VHS and I taped it when it was on MTV's Saturday night Concert years ago but since lost the tape.

It hasn`t been "officialy" released yet.

It should be part of "The history of Iron Maiden part two" DVD.

bueno bob
05-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Maiden's going to be running neck and neck with Deep Purple for live albums if they keep up the rate they're going :rolleyes:

Full Bug
05-11-2005, 11:01 PM
If the fans want it why not? Personally I too wish they would release the Live After Death DVD, had the VHS tape but lost it years ago, at least they arent trying to sell everything under the sun like KISS....

DLR82VH
05-12-2005, 12:36 AM
How many live albums for them does this one make??

fret_buzz_blues
05-12-2005, 02:02 AM
I'll have to check that new material out.

Mr Badguy
05-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by DLR82VH
How many live albums for them does this one make??

I think it`s nine if you include "Maiden Japan", "Maiden England" and the "Eddie`s archive".

I don`t care.

If they brought an album out of every tour I would buy it.

bueno bob
05-12-2005, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't.

Live albums, for me, are only welcome when there's been a significant amount of studio material released over the years (or since their last live effort, in either case...). Maiden, by that way of examination, released two studio albums and then a mini live album (which is great, because...well, they didn't have any live documentation up to that point). Another three studio albums follow and then comes "Live After Death" (like I said, three albums worth of material, five if consider the material from the first two LPs). Another 4 studio albums follow, at which point we're given the "treat" of 3 (potentially 4) live albums from Maiden in a row ("Live at Donington", "A Real Live One", "A Real Dead One", and of course, "Raising Hell" if you care to include it). That, to me, was an exceptionally stupid idea. I can see releasing the "Live One"/"Dead One" business of both eras, that was fine, but that eliminated any reason to have released "Live at Donington" at all. They did, however, wisely opt to release "Raising Hell" on VHS/DVD only, and considering it was Bruce's farewell, it was fitting.

Blaze joins and does "The X Factor", then we then get the live cuts on "Best of the Beast", and the only one I bothered listening to at all was Blaze's take on "Afraid to Shoot Strangers"; Blaze hadn't been captured live as of that point, so that was OK with me as well...one more studio album with Blaze and ANOTHER best of set (which was kind of dumb...fan selected greatest hits or not, it should have just been packaged as the "Ed Hunter" video game and left at that), then comes Bruce's return with "Brave New World". Wait a minute - better throw ANOTHER live album out there (which, essentially, showcases a few of the tracks from BNW and Bruce's take on a few Blaze hits and nothing else that hasn't already been done to death on Maidens live albums). A 3rd greatest hits album (which was kinda crappy to my mind), another studio album...then they put out the box set with live cuts from the vaults, BUT WAIT! LET'S HAVE ANOTHER LIVE ALBUM! Which features absolutely nothing other than a DVD which will say the same things that any other Maiden documentary DVD has, and a handful of new tracks in live format, and then includes everything else that's been done to death on a Maiden live album.

Live albums, and best of sets, when they're shat out by a band at this rate, lose their luster for me really quick because it makes the band look like they're out of ideas and struggling for ways to make a release every year (see also Styx and Deep Purple for reference points).

So...

01. Maiden Japan
02. Live After Death
03. Live at Donington
04. A Real Live One
05. A Real Dead One
06. Rock in Rio
07. Death On the Road
08. Maiden England (video)
09. Raising Hell (video)

Gives us 7 live albums and 9 live releases total, including the videos, most of which offer up at least 80-85% of material that's already been represented on their other live albums.

In Essence:

FILLER.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-12-2005, 11:12 AM
It's probably for die hards etc.

For example, you wouldn't be so bitter towards Van Halen releasing a live album in 1978,1979,1980,1981,1982 and 1984, would you? You would be happy that you have all material from each VH tour.

bueno bob
05-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
It's probably for die hards etc.

For example, you wouldn't be so bitter towards Van Halen releasing a live album in 1978,1979,1980,1981,1982 and 1984, would you? You would be happy that you have all material from each VH tour.

Actually, I would.

I just don't see any sense in releasing live album after live album after live album after live album that features essentially the same material, sans 4 new songs or so, of material that's already surfaced on other live albums. It just seems pointless to me. Sure, Van Halen deserved a live album with Roth (and really owes one to the fans), but one for every year? Nah. It should have been released in 1985 as a double length set from the 1984 tour, spanning everything throughout the first six albums; it certainly would have gave us one less thing to complain about, and back then it would have provided a good stopgap in between the ending of the Roth era and the beginning of Van Hagar, but...it just seems like overkill to have live albums in the double digits unless the material presented is vastly different than any other live album. One official live recording of a song (unless it's a trademark in the veins of, say, Sabbath's "Paranoid") is enough for me.

Sabbath is actually a band whose live releases I can really get behind...as the material is vastly different on all 4 official releases. "Live Evil" focused, for the most part, on Ronnie's stuff and the important Ozzy material (War Pigs, Iron Man, Paranoid, Black Sabbath, N.I.B., Children of the Grave)..."Cross Purposes: Live" was a great cross selection of material spanning all three eras, and not the same material (the Ozzy material was mostly different, included "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", "Symptom of the Universe", "The Wizard", so forth...the Dio selection was brief and all of the rest was Tony Martin material)...."Reunion", of course, featured ALL of the Ozzy stuff and was the classic lineup live album that had never happened up to that point and certainly needed to..."Past Lives" was a second classic lineup album, true, but recorded back in the day when Ozzy's voice wasn't totally shot to shit and they were at their pinnacle as a live unit, so that made sense (additionally, it was, at long last, an official version of "Live at Last", which I never really considered a official Sabbath album until that point). And that's it. With the exception of the Ian Gillan and Glenn Hughs albums (and having an official live album out there with those two isn't really important, I think), everything's been represented and there's not really any need for anything else.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Still, I think the constant live releses are for die hards. Some people like to have live documents from each tour.

Mr Badguy
05-12-2005, 12:32 PM
I also have "Maiden England" on CD as it was released as a video/CD double pack.

Mr Badguy
05-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I wouldn't.

Live albums, for me, are only welcome when there's been a significant amount of studio material released over the years (or since their last live effort, in either case...). Maiden, by that way of examination, released two studio albums and then a mini live album (which is great, because...well, they didn't have any live documentation up to that point). Another three studio albums follow and then comes "Live After Death" (like I said, three albums worth of material, five if consider the material from the first two LPs). Another 4 studio albums follow, at which point we're given the "treat" of 3 (potentially 4) live albums from Maiden in a row ("Live at Donington", "A Real Live One", "A Real Dead One", and of course, "Raising Hell" if you care to include it). That, to me, was an exceptionally stupid idea. I can see releasing the "Live One"/"Dead One" business of both eras, that was fine, but that eliminated any reason to have released "Live at Donington" at all. They did, however, wisely opt to release "Raising Hell" on VHS/DVD only, and considering it was Bruce's farewell, it was fitting.

Blaze joins and does "The X Factor", then we then get the live cuts on "Best of the Beast", and the only one I bothered listening to at all was Blaze's take on "Afraid to Shoot Strangers"; Blaze hadn't been captured live as of that point, so that was OK with me as well...one more studio album with Blaze and ANOTHER best of set (which was kind of dumb...fan selected greatest hits or not, it should have just been packaged as the "Ed Hunter" video game and left at that), then comes Bruce's return with "Brave New World". Wait a minute - better throw ANOTHER live album out there (which, essentially, showcases a few of the tracks from BNW and Bruce's take on a few Blaze hits and nothing else that hasn't already been done to death on Maidens live albums). A 3rd greatest hits album (which was kinda crappy to my mind), another studio album...then they put out the box set with live cuts from the vaults, BUT WAIT! LET'S HAVE ANOTHER LIVE ALBUM! Which features absolutely nothing other than a DVD which will say the same things that any other Maiden documentary DVD has, and a handful of new tracks in live format, and then includes everything else that's been done to death on a Maiden live album.

Live albums, and best of sets, when they're shat out by a band at this rate, lose their luster for me really quick because it makes the band look like they're out of ideas and struggling for ways to make a release every year (see also Styx and Deep Purple for reference points).

So...

01. Maiden Japan
02. Live After Death
03. Live at Donington
04. A Real Live One
05. A Real Dead One
06. Rock in Rio
07. Death On the Road
08. Maiden England (video)
09. Raising Hell (video)

Gives us 7 live albums and 9 live releases total, including the videos, most of which offer up at least 80-85% of material that's already been represented on their other live albums.

In Essence:

FILLER.

I get your point, Bob.

However, like I always say, noone will hold a gun to your head to buy it.

Take Rush, their "Different stages" and "Rush in Rio" live albums were quite different although they were only seperated by one studio album.

Also, on their last tour they played a load of stuff that didn`t feature on either of those sets.

If that tour came out on CD (which might happen), I would buy that too.

Maybe that`s just because I love live albums, but there is a market out there for live tapes.

Ask the guys who run Jimi Hendrix`s estate.

Soul Reaper
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I agree with bob when he says that you need to release a reasonable amount of studio material before releasing a live album. That's what made Live After Death so great. Live album can turn out to be the same thing over and over if not enough studio material is released beforehand.

bueno bob
05-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
I agree with bob when he says that you need to release a reasonable amount of studio material before releasing a live album. That's what made Live After Death so great. Live album can turn out to be the same thing over and over if not enough studio material is released beforehand.

That's my whole point. Still, I see the point and concede that there is an audience for the live Maiden albums, otherwise they wouldn't be made...hell, I'm sure that somewhere in the world somebody's got every Deep Purple live album and somebody else has got every single Grateful Dead live album too, so... :)

Hardrock69
05-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Hey, ED VAN HALEN needs to go to school with 'arry as his teacher.

You guys would not be rolling your eyes if this was a buncha Diamond Dave/CVH material being released....

Good for Iron Maiden. They do stuff for their fans better than anyone.

Yes I am looking forward tot he Live After Death show. The IM "THe Early Years" DVD ended just before the Powerslave era, so I am certain that is what is coming up next.

bueno bob
05-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Good for Iron Maiden. They do stuff for their fans better than anyone.

Well, other than tour America, that is. The disdain they have for American audiences is fucking flagrant.

scottd1984
05-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

Maybe that`s just because I love live albums, but there is a market out there for live tapes.

Ask the guys who run Jimi Hendrix`s estate.
And the people who run Allman Brothers Band fan club as well!!

Hardrock69
05-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Well, other than tour America, that is. The disdain they have for American audiences is fucking flagrant.

If that were true they would never tour America...

bueno bob
05-12-2005, 03:39 PM
If that were true they would never tour America...

Haven't you noticed that they virtually don't? Brave New Worlds tour was very quick...Dance of Deaths U.S. tour was all but non-existant, hell, they won't even do the entire Ozzfest tour over here, either. I posted a quote from Nicko a while back in this forum where he said that "Americans are assholes to us every time we come over here, which is why we don't like touring America and don't do it any more than what we absolutely have to."

Fear of the Dark had virtually no U.S. tour to speak of...nor did The X Factor...nor did Virtual XI...Maiden hasn't really done any large scale U.S. touring since No Prayer for the Dying, really. I saw Bruce when he came America side for Accident of Birth and he basically yelled at the audience the whole fucking night about what assholes we all were...for what? Cheering for his songs? He wouldn't tour Chemical Wedding over here, either...makes no fucking sense to me.

Vinnie Velvet
05-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Haven't you noticed that they virtually don't? Brave New Worlds tour was very quick...Dance of Deaths U.S. tour was all but non-existant, hell, they won't even do the entire Ozzfest tour over here, either. I posted a quote from Nicko a while back in this forum where he said that "Americans are assholes to us every time we come over here, which is why we don't like touring America and don't do it any more than what we absolutely have to."

Fear of the Dark had virtually no U.S. tour to speak of...nor did The X Factor...nor did Virtual XI...Maiden hasn't really done any large scale U.S. touring since No Prayer for the Dying, really. I saw Bruce when he came America side for Accident of Birth and he basically yelled at the audience the whole fucking night about what assholes we all were...for what? Cheering for his songs? He wouldn't tour Chemical Wedding over here, either...makes no fucking sense to me.

I got that sense too when I saw Maiden in Minneapolis on the Brave New World Tour.

Maybe its because their appeal in the US as far as selling out arenas isn't as big as it was from 1982-1988 (like most metal bands today).

As far as a new live album, well, I think its a bit of a waste as far as CD is concerned.

I love the Rock in Rio show.

I will buy this DVD, only because it will rock my home theatre system!:)

But yeah, Maiden is getting a bit carried away with the live albums.

But if you listen, they all showcase the album their promoting, if anything.

Rock in Rio, you'll get to hear songs from Brave New World.

Live After Death, you get to hear some more earlier stuff.

Hardrock69
05-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey it could be worse....feel fortunate they tour over here at all...

bueno bob
05-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Hey it could be worse....feel fortunate they tour over here at all...

The thing about it is, with that kind of attitude towards us, I'd prefer it if they didn't. Seeing Bruce in '97 and his obvious hostility towards us, and then reading Nicko's comments a few months back, I decided then and there that I wasn't going to go see them anymore.

Whether or not they tour over here is, at this point, virtually irrelevant to me.

Hardrock69
05-13-2005, 11:06 AM
I saw them in 2000 and they were better than ever.

And no, they did not seem hostile. On the contrary, they appeared to be having much fun!

Perhaps they feel they are treated like shit by promoters, or other scum in the business. The fans certainly do not treat them that way....

bueno bob
05-13-2005, 11:58 AM
I saw them in 2000 and they were better than ever.

And no, they did not seem hostile. On the contrary, they appeared to be having much fun!

Perhaps they feel they are treated like shit by promoters, or other scum in the business. The fans certainly do not treat them that way....

I agree. The fans, even if they haven't exactly shown up in droves, have always been friendly with them. They were supposed to be playing here back in '95 for the X Factor tour, but they cancelled when it didn't sell out...cancelled like 2 days off from the show, nobody got refunds either.

That pissed me right the fuck off.

Anonymous
05-13-2005, 11:59 AM
I agree with Bob's take on live albums up to a point. If it's just audio, then live albums in a row certainly do suck, but if it's video, that's a whole other business, as some bands - Maiden included - put out a different show for every single album, and it'd be grate to have a visual recording of every album. Now, this would be insane back in the 80's as the only visual media were VHS tapes, that had crappy audio and would gradually turn to complete shit. Not to mention the costs of recording, which were probably a lot more then, than they are now, with all this banalization of technology. Nowadays, with DVDs providing better audio than CDs, it would certainly rule to have a recording of one concert for every album, in my opinion. I wonder how many recordings Maiden have in the vaults?

Cheers! :bottle:

bueno bob
05-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
I agree with Bob's take on live albums up to a point. If it's just audio, then live albums in a row certainly do suck, but if it's video, that's a whole other business, as some bands - Maiden included - put out a different show for every single album, and it'd be grate to have a visual recording of every album. Now, this would be insane back in the 80's as the only visual media were VHS tapes, that had crappy audio and would gradually turn to complete shit. Not to mention the costs of recording, which were probably a lot more then, than they are now, with all this banalization of technology. Nowadays, with DVDs providing better audio than CDs, it would certainly rule to have a recording of one concert for every album, in my opinion. I wonder how many recordings Maiden have in the vaults?

Cheers! :bottle:

Video recordings are a different story, yes...Maiden's stage show is always related to the album at hand, so having some kind of documentation for each album would be really cool, actually.

Live ALBUMS, of course, for every studio album is an idea I can pass on...