PDA

View Full Version : ARMY to Suspend Recruiting

LoungeMachine
05-11-2005, 08:14 PM
WASHINGTON (May 11) - The U.S. Army has ordered a one-day suspension this month of its recruiting efforts, already made difficult by the Iraq war, to confront incidents of misconduct by its recruiters.

The incidents included a Texas recruiter threatening a man with arrest if he did not show up at a recruiting station for an interview and Colorado recruiters telling a high school student how to get a phony diploma from a nonexistent school, Army officials said.

On May 20, all 7,545 recruiters at 1,700 recruiting stations nationwide will be counseled by Army officials about what is permitted and what is not in the effort to coax people to enlist, officials said.

Army Recruiting Command spokesman Douglas Smith said the Army was investigating 480 allegations of improper conduct by Army recruiters in fiscal 2005, which began Oct. 1. The Army looked into 473 such allegations in all of 2000, 643 in 2001, 745 in 2002, 955 in 2003 and 957 in 2004, Smith said.

"This is not a crisis situation. It is not an emergency situation. This is a prudent leadership move," said Col. Joe Curtin, an Army spokesman at the Pentagon, adding that the one-day training session would remind recruiters of the need to "continue to abide by a professional code of ethics."

The Army is already struggling to meet recruiting goals, with potential recruits and their families wary about volunteering to serve during wartime.

"Yes, recruiting is very difficult right now. Recruiters, obviously all of us, are under great pressure to provide the Army with the soldiers it needs. But there's a way to do it, and that's with ethics and within the boundaries that we have to work," Smith said.

'MARKETING TECHNIQUE'

Army officials said a staff sergeant who recruited in Houston faced "corrective action" after telling a 20-year-old man to get to a local recruiting station by a certain time or face a warrant for his arrest. The officials said the recruiter told the man such a threat was merely a "marketing technique."

The New York Times

The Army also is looking into allegations that recruiters offered to help people hide drug problems into order to enlist, officials said.

The Army is providing the majority of the ground forces in the Iraq war in the first protracted conflict since the creation of the all-volunteer military three decades ago.

Aiming to sign 80,000 recruits in fiscal 2005, the Army has missed its goals in three straight months, including falling 42 percent short in April, and is 16 percent behind its year-to-date recruiting target.

Smith said the last thing the Army wanted the public to think was that it would start "bending the rules" amid recruiting shortfalls.

Bending the rules, for example, to sign up unqualified recruits would risk bringing into the Army soldiers with drug or disciplinary problems or who may not be willing to serve their full term of enlistment, Smith said.

The difficult recruiting environment has placed additional stress on recruiters who have individual quotas to meet, said an Army official who asked not to be named.

The Houston incident was "a good case in point," the official said. "You're trying to get people (recruits). You get somebody who's interested. How do you hook them? Is lying to them going to work? No, it's going to backfire."

05/11/05 14:46 ET

LoungeMachine
05-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Wonder if there is a question regarding Sex with Animals on the enlistment forms.......and if the recruiters would offer to hide it.

BigBadBrian
05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Wonder if there is a question regarding Sex with Animals on the enlistment forms.......and if the recruiters would offer to hide it.

Ask Nick.

DrMaddVibe
05-11-2005, 08:29 PM
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/full_metal_jacket/whosaidthat.mp3

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/full_metal_jacket/teachyou.mp3

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/full_metal_jacket/cowboy.mp3

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/full_metal_jacket/ugly.mp3

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/full_metal_jacket/god.mp3

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/full_metal_jacket/dualityofman.mp3

Nickdfresh
05-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Ask Nick.

No, doing your wife was just fine with them.;)

LoungeMachine
05-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
No, doing your wife was just fine with them.;)

Double off the wall !!!

Runner scores:D

Nickdfresh
05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Double off the wall !!!

Runner scores:D

Some people throw slow-pitch!:D http://annex.ncwc.edu/athletics/softball/pitcher.jpg

BigBadBrian
05-11-2005, 09:54 PM
I said "Ask Nick" because you were in the Army...supposedly.

As usuaal, neither you nor LardMachine has anything of substance to add to the debate.

Game, set, and, match. I win. As usual.

:killer:

Nickdfresh
05-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, here's your commemorative tube Preparation H and a Nerf Aerobe courtesy of Whammo!

And supposedly, you were a squid scholar, so you should be able to answer your own rhetorical question.

LoungeMachine
05-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I said "Ask Nick" because you were in the Army...supposedly.

As usuaal, neither you nor LardMachine has anything of substance to add to the debate.

Game, set, and, match. I win. As usual.

:killer:

Wow.

You must get cake too, huh?

Seshmeister
05-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Damn!

I was hoping for a stop to all the Hagar trolls around here...

vanzilla
05-12-2005, 10:39 AM
The only way to get recruiters off your back is to tell them that you're gay. I have a friend graduating high school this year, and a recruiter has been on his ass since September to enlist. Even after being told numerous times he wasn't interested and had plans to play football in college, the recruiter still kept harrassing him with phone calls every day, and even dropped by his school during lunch on a few occassions.

We were talking about it, and he asked me for some advice. I said "See what he happens if you tell him you're gay." He was a bit reluctant - but did eventually do it.

Hasn't heard from him since.

knuckleboner
05-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by vanzilla
The only way to get recruiters off your back is to tell them that you're gay. I have a friend graduating high school this year, and a recruiter has been on his ass since September to enlist. Even after being told numerous times he wasn't interested and had plans to play football in college, the recruiter still kept harrassing him with phone calls every day, and even dropped by his school during lunch on a few occassions.

We were talking about it, and he asked me for some advice. I said "See what he happens if you tell him you're gay." He was a bit reluctant - but did eventually do it.

you don't necessarily need to go with that angle. i was genuinely interested in doing navy ROTC in college. until the recruiter asked if i had taken any prescription medications on a regular basis since age 12. i said, "yep, for asthma." i assured him i hadn't taken regular prescriptions for a couple of years (i was 18 at the time); that i hadn't had an asthma attack since i was in 7th grade. and that i could run a mile faster than most people, asthma or not.

his reply? "uh, thanks, but it's not going to work."

knuckleboner
05-12-2005, 03:47 PM
dupe, whoops.

Nickdfresh
05-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by vanzilla

Jim Morrison pretended he was gay in front of his draft board. Needless to say, he did not get drafted and his talent was utilized.

LoungeMachine
05-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Jim Morrison pretended he was gay in front of his draft board. Needless to say, he did not get drafted and his talent was utilized.

Haven't heard much from old Jim lately.

Maybe Edward should give him a call:D