PDA

View Full Version : The Who Vs. Led Zeppelin

Unchainme
05-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Ok Both Bands Are Awesome but which one do you think is better. For me its too close to call.

Redballjets88
05-14-2005, 02:53 PM
they are both gay

Jérôme Frenchise
05-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
they are both gay

What band is not, then?

Marlowe01
05-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Led Zeppelin pounds the Who into the ground. There's only a handful (at most) of Who songs that I like. (Won't Get Fooled Again, Quadrophenia, etc.). That's not even a question, dude.

Loons The Great
05-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Zep, tho' Ize digs The Who when Moon the Loon was still with 'em nah nah yez yeah aright nah...WELLA WELLA WELLAHHH...

FORD
05-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Problem here is that you have a field crowded with greatness. How do you look at Who's Next, Led Zeppelin IV, or Sticky Fingers, for that matter, and honestly say one of these records blows the other away?

I can't decide. That's why I bought all three of em :cool:

tydhurst
05-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Zep.

Jérôme Frenchise
05-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Problem here is that you have a field crowded with greatness. How do you look at Who's Next, Led Zeppelin IV, or Sticky Fingers, for that matter, and honestly say one of these records blows the other away?

I can't decide. That's why I bought all three of em :cool:

I agree. Just saying you like one more than the other is OK.
Both bands are at the Rock Pantheon. It's just meaningless to believe one can make any value judgement and discriminate them.

Dave's Bitch
05-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Led Zep

DlocRoth
05-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Zep has more great tunes.

And don't get me wrong, I like Daltrey, but he couldnt hold Plant's jockstrap.

The rest of em are pretty close.
Original line up wise.

Soul Reaper
05-14-2005, 04:37 PM
zep are better musically and lyrically

the who are still great for their simplicity and energy.

DLR82VH
05-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I'll play the devils advocate here and say I think the Who smokes Zepplin.

Unchainme
05-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Basically When It comes down To It.
The Who Is More Political in Their Lryics (Ex. Won't Get Fooled Again)
Led is more Epic in their Lryics (Ex. Kashmir)

Both I think Influenced Bands like Aerosmith and Van Halen equally.

Casemeister
05-15-2005, 05:30 AM
The Who. Easily. I have never been able to get into Zeppelin. The Who, on the other hand... well, it took a while, but I grew to love them. What an amazing band. Daltrey is very underrated, Townshend is one hell of a songwriter, Moon was a true powerhouse of a drummer, and Entwistle was a fantastic bassist. Just a great band.

Panamark
05-15-2005, 05:34 AM
Im a Metal Maniac.

Led Zep did more for Metal than "The Who"

Led Zep it is..

Casemeister
05-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Marlowe01
Led Zeppelin pounds the Who into the ground. There's only a handful (at most) of Who songs that I like. (Won't Get Fooled Again, Quadrophenia, etc.). That's not even a question, dude.

Do you mean the album Quadrophenia or the instrumental song Quadrophenia?

flappo
05-15-2005, 09:03 AM
live : the who with moon

on record : zep in slight lead , then fuck it all up with their last 3 crap albums

DrMaddVibe
05-15-2005, 10:50 AM
I like them both.

Led Zeppelin's material didn't sag away like The Who's did.

"Who's Next" vs. "IV"....hmmmmm.

"It's Hard" vs. "In Through The Out Door"? That's not as tough.

Then I look at the solo work of the members or what they've done since their last significant release...

Led Zeppelin runs away with it.

Matt White
05-15-2005, 11:03 AM
ZEPPELIN

NO CONTEST

PAGE+PLANT+BONHAM+JONES=PURE GENIUS

superdave
05-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Zeppelin by a landslide, if you leave In Through the Out Door out of it...

DlocRoth
05-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by superdave
Zeppelin by a landslide, if you leave In Through the Out Door out of it...

No shit?

I love that album.

The production is a little muddled, but I really dig the tunes.

Fool in the rain? Classic.

Last_Child
05-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Led Zeppelin.
Bought Physical graffiti yesterday & it's fucking Graaate!

Terry
05-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Actually a tough call for me. Think Zep gets the edge because they called it quits after Bonham died. The Who kept going after Keith punted out, and are now still carrying on even after Entwistle kicked it. Just a matter of integrity.

The Who did some great shows, though. And you can't discount Who's Next and Quadrophenia; those are two seriously monster fucking albums. Even the Who By Numbers and Who Are You had some great stuff on them.

The Who and Zep live in the mid 1970s......too close to call.

Don't think In Through The Out Door was weak, either. Carouselambra was a great track. Same for I'm Gonna Crawl and In The Evening.

LadyTudor2711
05-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Marlowe01

My vote goes for LZ, I have loved their music since I can remember. I just feel it in my head and my heart.

The Who is still a great band and no one can deny their contribution to music, but LZ has this one hands down.

Best,

LT

FasterPussycat
05-15-2005, 11:10 PM
No fucking contest!!! Led Zeppelin kicks ass!!

bueno bob
05-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by FasterPussycat
Where's the option for "I have no fucking taste in music at all?"

What? :confused:

Casemeister
05-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Terry
The Who kept going after Keith punted out, and are now still carrying on even after Entwistle kicked it. Just a matter of integrity.

I saw 'em last year and, to be fair to them, they were awesome. Really. Yes, it was really just Townshend and Daltrey and not the classic lineup of the Who... but what a great show it was... except for losers telling us to sit down during Baba O'Riley. We moved and continued to rock out all night. :D

Casemeister
05-16-2005, 08:09 AM
I can't believe more people haven't voted for the Who. IMO, they're the fathers of hard rock. I Can't Explain (yes, I know the Page connection), My Generation, I Can See For Miles, etc. were early examples of rock actually becoming "hard." Add Cream to the mix and, slightly later, Zeppelin, among others, and you start to see hard rock taking shape.

Then again, the Who would probably win with a classic rock (less metal) group of people, so I guess it all evens out. It's all taste, eh? ;)

FasterPussycat
05-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Casemeister
I can't believe more people haven't voted for the Who. IMO, they're the fathers of hard rock. I Can't Explain (yes, I know the Page connection), My Generation, I Can See For Miles, etc. were early examples of rock actually becoming "hard." Add Cream to the mix and, slightly later, Zeppelin, among others, and you start to see hard rock taking shape.

Then again, the Who would probably win with a classic rock (less metal) group of people, so I guess it all evens out. It's all taste, eh? ;)

Who??

Casemeister
05-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by FasterPussycat
Who??

That's right. :D

FasterPussycat
05-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Casemeister
That's right. :D
:confused: :confused: I was asking who's who?:p :p

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 04:11 PM
i havnt heard alot of the who,can anyone recomend any good songs or albums(dont care how good they r tho,they wont beat led zep)

MAX
05-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Sammy's Bitch
i havnt heard alot of the who,can anyone recomend any good songs or albums(dont care how good they r tho,they wont beat led zep)

I fucking love both of them, however The Who are a completely different beast than Zeppelin. Both are stellar in their own way. If you wanna hear The Who's contribution to early metal "Live at Leeds" is a must and one of, if not the best live albums ever. IMO. Also "Tommy," "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia" are the basic Who staples you should check out if you aren't familiar with them. The Who's rhythm section consisting of Entwistle and Moon are epic enough in and of themselves.

Virgil Caine
05-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Interesting topic.

To the gentleman several posts up that stated that "The Who were more simplistic"....GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS!!!!

I love both bands equally. The above poster is correct...Live At Leeds...the deluxe edition is the best live album ever.

If you want to hear another stellar recording listen to "A quick one" on the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. AMAZING!!!!

Page is a fantastic guitar player....alot of his music was interpretations of blues standards. Page had "feel" like no one else. I could listen to him play forever.
However.....In my book there are only 3 people in Rock/Pop music that had the whole package..ie...complete music composition and lyrical ability...they are:

Stevie Wonder
Brian Wilson
and...................Pete Townshend

DaLeeRo
05-21-2005, 05:13 AM
Hmmm.... The Who Vs. Led Zeppelin

LED ZEPPELIN KNOCKS-OUT THE WHO. :D