PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Episode III Reviews

Soul Reaper
05-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I got these comments from Rotten Tomatoes. Only a few people said it was bad. I'll have to see the film for myself, preferably on opening night! Someone said it's the best of the six Star Wars movies. Who knows, he might be right, but I highly douby he is.

Todd McCarthy

"Whatever one thought of the previous two installments, this dynamic picture irons out most of the problems, and emerges as the best in the overall series since The Empire Strikes Back. "

------------------------------------------------

"Oh my...it's not near as good as you may have heard."
-- John Venable, SUPERCALA.COM

"This film finally creates a saga out of Star Wars, and that saga deserves its recognition as one of the finest ever to be delivered to cinema screens."
-- Joe Utichi, FILMFOCUS

"May be the fourth best film in the series. It’s still a tossup with Ewok Adventure, but I haven’t seen that in a while so it may not hold up as well."
-- Fred Topel, ABOUT.COM

"The more casual fan may be left feeling like Revenge of the Sith scores a technical knockout rather than the real thing."
-- Brent Simon, NOW PLAYING MAGAZINE

"Let the projectionist raise the audio above a whisper, and your enjoyment of the free-flowing spectacle will be diluted by some of the worst acting and writing known to mainstream film -- and that's by George Lucas' meager standards."
-- Steve Schneider, ORLANDO WEEKLY

"Color me disappointed -- and I say this as a huge STAR WARS fan. Its murky plotting and its long, video game battles left me cold and bored."
-- Steve Rhodes, STEVE RHODES' INTERNET REVIEWS

"Finally, Lucas recaptures some of the magic!"
-- Scott Nash, THREE MOVIE BUFFS

"An exhilarating, inexorably dark, somewhat distressing rollercoaster ride of fun.. the film “Star Wars” fans have been waiting for "
-- Clint Morris, MOVIEHOLE

"Winner Of The Coveted Fist Of Fiore Award For 2005"
-- Fiore Mastracci, OUTTAKES WITH FIORE

"And once Palpatine’s machinations set the cogs in motion for the creation of Vader, and the Clone Wars start getting bloody, Sith commences to cook in a way that no Star Wars movie has since Empire."
-- Glenn Kenny, PREMIERE MAGAZINE

"For every thrilling space battle or lightsaber dual you get, you get two scenes with embarrassingly bad dialogue and line delivery."
-- Stefan Halley, HERO REALM

"At last… Lucas brings forth the long-awaited, well-earned kick-*** conclusion to the latest “Star Wars” trilogy. Fans will cheer!"
-- David Foucher, EDGE BOSTON

"As it morphs to connect with Episode IV, Lucas manages to add new resonance to the overall saga."
-- Rich Cline, SHADOWS ON THE WALL

"So sound in its construction and...[its] space-operatic catharsis that even the nitpickiest fanboy will likely adopt a humbly mumbled "All is forgiven" as a daily mantra."
-- Peter Canavese, GROUCHO REVIEWS

"A flawed masterpiece."
-- Ross Anthony, HOLLYWOOD REPORT CARD

"Perhaps the Dark Side is stronger after all; it certainly makes the conclusion of this journey a memorable one."
-- Rob Vaux, FLIPSIDE MOVIE EMPORIUM

"Star Wars fans have finally been rewarded for their patience. George has made another masterpiece."
-- Joshua Tyler, CINEMABLEND.COM

"'If, as director Lucas has said, this is the final film in the saga, he has done himself justice by going out with a winner. '"
-- Michael A. Smith, NOLAN'S POP CULTURE REVIEW

"An unexpectedly sweet pleasure...a dark and gripping slice of space opera, it successfully avoids the pitfalls of its predecessors."
-- Gabriel Shanks, MIXED REVIEWS

"Will be remembered as one of the greatest movies ever made. 'Classic' isn't kind enough a word for this gem. The best film to be unleashed onto the public in 25 years!"
-- Alex Sandell, JUICY CEREBELLUM

"Revenge of the Sith is not the "masterpiece" some make it out to be. It is, simply, a far more worthy installment than we've recently been fed."
-- Glen Oliver, IGN FILMFORCE

"Thank the movie gods this one is better than the two previous Star Wars films."
-- Rebecca Murray, ABOUT.COM

"Even though Ian McDiarmid is a delicious bad guy, John Williams' music is what sets this apart from other mundane films that survive on special effects."
-- Tony Medley, TONYMEDLEY.COM

"Believe the hype. Sith is the crowning achievement of the Star Wars mythos."
-- Jeffrey Lyles, GAZETTE (MD)

"Mercifully, Revenge Of The Sith is (deep sigh) light-years ahead of the turgid Menace and the undercooked Clones."
-- Colin Kennedy, EMPIRE MAGAZINE [UK]

"Enthralling and triumphant, Lucas saved the best for last, completing a significant cultural phenomenon that now encompasses six films."
-- Susan Granger, MODAMAG.COM

"Lucas pays off the most elaborate setup in film history."
-- Jurgen Fauth, ABOUT.COM

"Goodbye, Star Wars, and thanks for everything. It's been a wonderful ride."
-- Jeffrey Chen, REELTALK MOVIE REVIEWS

"It may well be the best of all six Star Wars movies."
-- Rob Blackwelder, SPLICEDWIRE

bueno bob
05-15-2005, 11:46 AM
As usual, the mixed reviews nonsense. I'll never understand why critics who go to review a Star Wars flick think they're going to get great acting and dialogue...there's ALWAYS a pack of them that bitch about it...this is not The Fucking Piano or The Fucking English Patient!

Shut up about the fucking dialogue and enjoy the movie, bitch! :mad:

With all the positive reviews pouring in from people who slagged the last two, my guess is that's it's gonna be great, regardless of the shit-ass critics who want to piss all over everything for their own pleasure in doing so.

Vinnie Velvet
05-16-2005, 09:49 AM
The movie will kick ass!

No doubt.

And if ya base your opinion on reading reviews, then it will still kick ass for you, since the majority of the reviews are positive.

Fuck the critics.

Enjoy the movie.

Soul Reaper
05-16-2005, 01:12 PM
i'm not going to listen to them. I just wanted to see what they thought of it. It's not going to stop me going, because they're just one person and they can't stop me from watching it because I might think differently

bueno bob
05-16-2005, 01:16 PM
FUCK THE CRITICS!!! :)

Soul Reaper
05-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
FUCK THE CRITICS!!! :)

yeah, FIGHT THE POWER!!!

(???)

DLR82VH
05-16-2005, 02:49 PM
I'll just go see it for myself and make my decision then.

bueno bob
05-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by DLR82VH
I'll just go see it for myself and make my decision then.

You love it.

There, I've done half the work for you. Now don't say I never did ya any favors.

Vinnie Velvet
05-16-2005, 03:11 PM
You love it.

My guess is that you 'waved your hand' as you said that.

DLR82VH's response:

I Love It.

bueno bob
05-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
My guess is that you 'waved your hand' as you said that.

DLR82VH's response:

I Love It.

Always do!

Always worth a shot, you never know...

:)

Warham
05-16-2005, 04:22 PM
U.S.A Today gave the flick a 3.5/4, and she said that it just may be the best one out of the six.

LadyTudor2711
05-16-2005, 04:28 PM
They say this movie ties the previous ones together. Frankly, I am sick of hearing about it. I loved the first three and those will always be the ones I think of when I hear Star Wars.

Sith happens...

Best,

LT

bueno bob
05-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by LadyTudor2711
They say this movie ties the previous ones together. Frankly, I am sick of hearing about it. I loved the first three and those will always be the ones I think of when I hear Star Wars.

Sith happens...

Best,

LT

Never fear :) It'll be succesful without you.

Are you going to see it at all?

Vinnie Velvet
05-16-2005, 05:01 PM

Sith happens...

Best,

LT

Well, it does tie all the other ones together. That's just a fact.

Some have already viewed this new one as the Star Wars movie that blows the first one (Episode IV) and Episode VI (Return of the Jedi) out of the water.

That's saying a lot, IMO.

bueno bob
05-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Well, it does tie all the other ones together. That's just a fact.

Some have already viewed this new one as the Star Wars movie that blows the first one (Episode IV) and Episode VI (Return of the Jedi) out of the water.

That's saying a lot, IMO.

You ain't shittin'.

I expected it'd be good, but getting reviews like this? I had no idea it'd be so warmly received...

Vinnie Velvet
05-16-2005, 05:05 PM
The consensus has been that Sith is the best SW movie since Empire or as good as it.

I can say this: I think the STORY is better than Empire's. It seems to be way more intense.

bueno bob
05-16-2005, 05:07 PM
The consensus has been that Sith is the best movie since Empire or as good as it.

I can say this: I think the STORY is better than Empire's. It seems to be way more intense.

It's hard for me to watch the OT anymore...the new ones look so fabulous compared to the OT, and the storylines seem more intense...the OT nowadays almost looks boring to me by comparison, odd as it may sound...

They'll always be timeless, but the new trilogy has been absolutely fun from beginning to end...no doubt about it.

Vinnie Velvet
05-16-2005, 05:12 PM
I rarely watch Jedi anymore. If I do, its usually the end scenes between the Emperor, Vader and Luke.

Han pisses me off in Jedi, and I think Leia is just useless (save for her in that metal bikini..YUM!).

I still watch Empire now and then as I do A New Hope.

I agree. The story of the prequels are more interesting than just some kid saving a princess and destroying a battle station.

And with Sith, the story will work much better as a whole as far as the prequels are concerned.

Remember, when Lucas did the first Star Wars, he didn't know it was gonna be a big hit that would allow him to do more of them, so it was made on the presumption that it was a 'stand alone' movie.

He obviously went into doing the prequels differently. He knew he had the money and the technology to do all three and structured the story that way.

Warham
05-16-2005, 05:56 PM
I love 'em all. :D

LadyTudor2711
05-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Never fear :) It'll be succesful without you.

Are you going to see it at all?

No, I do not care for movie theaters, too public. I'll wait for PPV. Enjoy .

Best,
LT

Vinnie Velvet
05-17-2005, 09:25 AM
No, I do not care for movie theaters, too public. I'll wait for PPV. Enjoy .

Best,
LT

Alright. Fair enough.

George Lucas still loves you!:cool:

Vinnie Velvet
05-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Warham
I love 'em all. :D

Sounds a lot like what Ed would say about his music.

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I read a local review of it yesterday...4 stars of 4 stars...and they've had ZERO problem slagging the last two movies, so...I'm excited!

Vinnie Velvet
05-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Well, yeah.

Anyone who gives this movie a bad review doesn't like Star Wars to begin with and doesn't "get" the whole idea behind the movies.

Or, they just may be 'Lucas-raped-my-childhood' fanboys that have nothing better to do than bitch.

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Or, they just may be 'Lucas-raped-my-childhood' fanboys that have nothing better to do than bitch.

I know, I'm so fucking sick of those people. I'm not a member, but on occasion I'll lurk over at the Star Wars message boards (various ones, not just the official one) and those sorts of people I just don't get.

Of COURSE the new movies aren't going to quite hit you the same way as they did when you were 8! You're 30 now!!

I think people just need to loosen up with shit.

Soul Reaper
05-17-2005, 12:44 PM
i saw in the paper that when Empire Strikes Back was first reviewed it was slagged off as crap!

But now, it's considered a classic.

Shows what critics know.

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
i saw in the paper that when Empire Strikes Back was first reviewed it was slagged off as crap!

But now, it's considered a classic.

Shows what critics know.

It was. I posted an old review for Empire back when it was new...the action was good, but the dialogue was horrible, the acting banal, the storyline was flimsy, you could easily tell the animatronics were fake, nothing looked real, weren't able to get into the story, no depth to the characters, hackneyed disposable sci-fi crap of no real substance at all...those were a few of the nicer things that were said about it.

Go figure.

Soul Reaper
05-17-2005, 01:04 PM
oh well, i think Episode III will be fantastic, after all the shit they said about it in the paper.

It will soon be a classic!

HA HA!!

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 01:05 PM
I read one review the day before yesterday that said it was the best movie...ever.

Now THAT'S something :)

Soul Reaper
05-17-2005, 01:08 PM
i see you've been roaming around Disneyland lately, bob

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Trying to keep those fuckin' clones in line is work...I usually find them like this...after I've choked so many of those bastards to death myself, you think they'd learn, but I guess those tall dudes from Camino forgot to incoporate actual learning strategies into their genetic makeup...

Soul Reaper
05-17-2005, 01:14 PM
and what did you think of your venture into hosting TV shows

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 01:36 PM
and what did you think of your venture into hosting TV shows

It was very grate to be able to thrust my dark side upon the masses via the medium of TV. Movies were grate, but TV was even grater, although a much more hectic work schedule, to be sure.

Soul Reaper
05-17-2005, 01:38 PM
and I'm sure killing those damn Jedi was fun?!

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 01:40 PM
and I'm sure killing those damn Jedi was fun?!

Mostly; Kenobi was really the only challenge I ever got out of anybody until my son showed up on the scene...the rest of those Jedi I mopped up over the 20 year period after Kenobi fucked me up were actually cream cheese by comparison...

Soul Reaper
05-17-2005, 01:45 PM
(going back in time even further)

those podraces, it must have been tense!

guwapo_rocker
05-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Check it out.... (http://media2.big-boys.com/bbmedia/galaxies1.wmv)

Golden AWe
05-17-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm gonna see it on saturday and then use my laser sword on the girl I go out with...

Darth AWe

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
I'm gonna see it on saturday and then use my laser sword on the girl I go out with...

Darth AWe

An excellent manuever!

Matt White
05-17-2005, 01:55 PM
MAY THE FARCE BE WITH YOU......ALWAYS

Rikk
05-17-2005, 01:56 PM

Darth AWe

It'll be just beggar's canyon back home.

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker

Get down with the funky Fett! :D

I love it, man, nice find!

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Rikk

AHHHHH! :D

Soul Reaper
05-17-2005, 02:00 PM

lol...a camp Jango Fett.

Vinnie Velvet
05-17-2005, 02:38 PM
It was. I posted an old review for Empire back when it was new...the action was good, but the dialogue was horrible, the acting banal, the storyline was flimsy, you could easily tell the animatronics were fake, nothing looked real, weren't able to get into the story, no depth to the characters, hackneyed disposable sci-fi crap of no real substance at all...those were a few of the nicer things that were said about it.

Go figure.

Critics know as much now as they did back then, which is SHIT.

But interestingly, Lucas commented that the people controlling the web, the media, etc are those supposed 'kids' that grew up with the original trilogy and are partial towards it.

Another interesting thing is I remember the hype surrounding Jedi and the buzz when it came out. Sitting at the theatre all those years ago, people laughed at the Ewok stuff and thought they were funny. Jedi even was more popular than Empire when it came out and made more money.

Now people hate it as much as Menace and Empire is #1.

?????

Weird.

Rikk
05-17-2005, 02:39 PM

That's actually pretty funny.

Rikk
05-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Critics know as much now as they did back then, which is SHIT.

But interestingly, Lucas commented that the people controlling the web, the media, etc are those supposed 'kids' that grew up with the original trilogy and are partial towards it.

Another interesting thing is I remember the hype surrounding Jedi and the buzz when it came out. Sitting at the theatre all those years ago, people laughed at the Ewok stuff and thought they were funny. Jedi even was more popular than Empire when it came out and made more money.

Now people hate it as much as Menace and Empire is #1.

?????

Weird.

I still don't like JEDI all that much. It has its moments. But I hate to admit that I even prefer EPISODE I in some way to JEDI.

Warham
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Nothin' wrong with that. I was watching The Phantom Menace the other day while flipping channels on TV and quite enjoyed it.

guwapo_rocker
05-17-2005, 03:26 PM
That's actually pretty funny.

Thank You.

Vinnie Velvet
05-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Nothin' wrong with that. I was watching The Phantom Menace the other day while flipping channels on TV and quite enjoyed it.

Of course there's nothing wrong with that.

I like Episode I too.

Despite the fact that Revenge of the Sith has been getting rave reviews (majority of them), in those reviews, the critics still take the time to bash Episode I and II.

Fuck, its even hard to find a review for Sith without any mention of Jar Jar!! Why the fuck do people always bring Jar Jar up?? He served his purpose in Menace and didn't even have that big of a role in II and has NO lines in III and is in ONE SCENE that lasts a second!

So, why the fuck are these idiots so infatuated with the Gungan that everyone suposedly hated???

Message to the media (aka:internet fanboys).

GET A FUCKING LIFE.

Enjoy the movies for what they are.

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 03:48 PM
IM GOING TO SEE IT IN 2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Yup, indeed.

Vinnie Velvet
05-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Sammy's Bitch
IM GOING TO SEE IT IN 2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ME TOO!!

Rock on!!

Time to have a Star Wars party!!!

Play the movies and even blast some CVH at the same time.;)

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a good time :)

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 03:53 PM
its gonna be so cool,me and a shit load of people are going,i wanna see anakin kick obi wan's ass,he really pisses me off,he was cool in episode I,episode II i guess he was ok,but kinda a dick,but in this one he looks so stupid and needs a good ass kicking

GO ANAKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 03:54 PM
DO NOT TELL HER! IF SHE DOESN'T KNOW, DO NOT SPOIL IT!!! :)

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 03:56 PM
i probably do know bob,so you guys mite aswell say

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 04:02 PM
i probably do know bob,so you guys mite aswell say

Well, let's just say it'll be a cool fight...if you don't know who wins, I ain't sayin' and you can't make me! :)

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 04:04 PM
im guessin obi wins right?,hence how anakin is all cut up and gets the vader get up,am i right?

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 04:05 PM
im guessin obi wins right?,hence how anakin is all cut up and gets the vader get up,am i right?

Wait for the movie ;)

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Wait for the movie ;)

COOOMMEEEEE OOOOON tell me if im wright,pleeeeeeeaaassseeee

Vinnie Velvet
05-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah, wait for the movie.:)

But from what I've heard, the Obi-Wan-Anakin duel will be one of the if not THE longest fight in cinema history!

Also, the fight doesn't labor on or get boring, from reading some recent reviews. It'll leave you at the edge of your seats, I mean, Obi-Wan and Anakin will be throwing punches, kicks, you name it.

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 04:14 PM
cool,id have to say the songle worst lightsaber fight ever was with ben kenobi(i dunno if thats spelt right) and darth vader,the speed was amazing,omg they were so slow.and how come vaders light saber had an almost pinkish tint to it,and another thing i dont get,luke runs out and spots them fighting yea,ben kenobi stops and looks over.BUT VADER JUST STANDS THERE LIKE AN IDEOT,surely if he's as evil as he's supposed to be he woulda punced then and cut the absolute shit outa obi wan

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 04:15 PM
songle?
wtf
i ment single

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 04:17 PM
cool,id have to say the songle worst lightsaber fight ever was with ben kenobi(i dunno if thats spelt right) and darth vader,the speed was amazing,omg they were so slow.

True. But...they were old :)

and how come vaders light saber had an almost pinkish tint to it,

Low budget.

and another thing i dont get,luke runs out and spots them fighting yea,ben kenobi stops and looks over.BUT VADER JUST STANDS THERE LIKE AN IDEOT,surely if he's as evil as he's supposed to be he woulda punced then and cut the absolute shit outa obi wan

Hard telling. Good point, I never really thought of it...maybe they both needed the quick breather?

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 04:22 PM
LOL,yea true,and if what ive heard from episode III,anakin kinda gets his legs cut off and loses his hand or something like that,so i meen that might have something to do with it,but they were probablly both just tired

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 04:23 PM
i think the best star wars film is return of the jedi,that film is awsome

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Obi Wan was really too old at that point to be running around saving the galaxy, anyway, and he knew it...

("Escape is not his plan")

I think he knew he was gonna punch out at the Death Star, one way or another.

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 04:27 PM
whats the guy samule l jackson plays called?

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 04:28 PM
whats the guy samule l jackson plays called?

Mace Windu, second only to Yoda in terms of knowledge and power. So we're told. By the time Ep IV rolls around, though, Obi Wan is, of course, at his level and probably higher.

Warham
05-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Obi-Wan is definately the luckiest Jedi ever.

bueno bob
05-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Obi-Wan is definately the luckiest Jedi ever.

No doubt. He was plain done for by Maul...got lucky with that little flip up and grab of Qui Gon's lightsaber...he was done for by Dooku...Anakin saved his ass that time...the purge? Should have been nailed, I wonder to this day why he wasn't...the fight with Anakin? From the rumor mill, we get that Anakin loses his footing and that's why Obi Wan wins...

The Force ASSUREDLY smiled on him throughout his career.

Warham
05-17-2005, 04:39 PM
I think Lucas planned it that way, especially with some of the scenes in Episode III. Even with the luck factor, he was still one of the handful of greatest Jedi ever.

Vinnie Velvet
05-17-2005, 04:42 PM
I think Lucas planned it that way, especially with some of the scenes in Episode III. Even with the luck factor, he was still one of the handful of greatest Jedi ever.

Its all the more funny considering Obi-Wan's line to Han in IV:

"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."

Ah, twisting the truth once again, eh Ben?:D

Dave's Bitch
05-17-2005, 04:42 PM
mace windu uses the dark side in episode III,with palpatine,because he is going to kill him and that is against the jedi order's beleif's,obi wan uses it against darth maul,because he kills him in anger and as yoda says "fear leads to anger,anger leads to hate,hate leads to suffering" or something like that

Vinnie Velvet
05-17-2005, 04:45 PM
mace windu uses the dark side in episode III,with palpatine,because he is going to kill him and that is against the jedi order's beleif's,obi wan uses it against darth maul,because he kills him in anger and as yoda says "fear leads to anger,anger leads to hate,hate leads to suffering" or something like that

That's always up for debate.

Even when Obi-Wan goes ape on Maul after seeing Qui-Gon get shafted.

He's obviously angry and its that anger that makes Obi-Wan take out Maul.

Golden AWe
05-17-2005, 06:50 PM

The cool thing is all this time I have thought of this lady as a bit boring...but she was gonna see the movie anyway, with or without me.

Maybe I could make her wear a Princess Leia-outfit?

PS. Sorry I said "Laser sword", although I should've said "Light sabre".

Vinnie Velvet
05-18-2005, 09:14 AM
The cool thing is all this time I have thought of this lady as a bit boring...but she was gonna see the movie anyway, with or without me.

Maybe I could make her wear a Princess Leia-outfit?

PS. Sorry I said "Laser sword", although I should've said "Light sabre".

Make her wear the famous Leia metal bikini from Return of the Jedi.

Seshmeister
05-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Are there any little teddy bears in this one?

Seshmeister
05-18-2005, 10:14 AM
http://www.bcmanning.com/b2/images/8020Father_s_Day_Card.jpg

Vinnie Velvet
05-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Are there any little teddy bears in this one?

No.

But a bunch of walking carpets!:D

Vinnie Velvet
05-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Good one Sesh!:D

Vinnie Velvet
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Here's some news from the after party at the recent Cannes Film Festival in France where Revenge of the Sith was premiered:

Sexpot Eva Longoria gets hot with Vader! (sadly it wasn't you Bob)

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/310236p-265341c.html

That Hayden, lucky bastard.

bueno bob
05-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Sexpot Eva Longoria gets hot with Vader! (sadly it wasn't you Bob

It was a grate tragedy! :(

Seshmeister
05-18-2005, 11:38 AM
If his dick is as wooden as his acting then then she'll be a happy gal...

Vinnie Velvet
05-18-2005, 11:53 AM
I think as he's fucking her, he's probably thinking "Thank you George!".

The kind of exposure you get from being in a Star Wars movie.

Imagine the pussy that just came chasing after Harrison Ford after he did the first Star Wars.

Can't say so much for Mark Hammil though.

bueno bob
05-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Oh, I'm sure Mark got some of the fallout that Harrison didn't/couldn't get to... :)

The good thing for Hayden is that I really don't think he's going to be all that typecast...I think he'll break the Star Wars curse as did Harrison, although Hayden will never be in the Harrison bracket as an actor.

Sesh, it's really the script, not Hayden - there were two other Hayden movies I'd strongly recommend, "Life as a House" and "Broken Glass". He put in really strong performances in both.

Vinnie Velvet
05-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Oh I agree.

Hayden is a good actor and is only 24.

The key thing for him to do is to be in another high profile movie soon.

With Harrison, it took movies like Raiders and Blade Runner to help break him away from being just Han Solo.

Mark didn't have that.

Or, Hayden could do less profile, non-blockbuster movies, but more crtically acclaimed stuff as he's done before (Life as a House and Shattered Glass).

But, right now, I guess he's just content on screwing Eva Longoria.

I know I would.:D

bueno bob
05-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Oh I agree.

Hayden is a good actor and is only 24.

The key thing for him to do is to be in another high profile movie soon.

With Harrison, it took movies like Raiders and Blade Runner to help break him away from being just Han Solo.

Mark didn't have that.

Or, Hayden could do less profile, non-blockbuster movies, but more crtically acclaimed stuff as he's done before (Life as a House and Shattered Glass).

But, right now, I guess he's just content on screwing Eva Longoria.

I know I would.:D

Oh, "Shattered Glass"; I called it "Broken Glass", my bad :)

Fucking Eva Longoria could be mighty distracting, I'd imagine!

bueno bob
05-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Well, tomorrow's the day...looking forward to your review, Vin.

Vinnie Velvet
05-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Well, tomorrow's the day...looking forward to your review, Vin.

I hope to have my review up sometime tommorrow, Bob.

Soul Reaper
05-18-2005, 12:37 PM
using my inhuman powers, I know what's going to happen in the movie.

Nah, Official Playstation 2 Magazine revealed it all and i can pretty much guess what's going to happen anyway.

IT'S TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinnie Velvet
05-18-2005, 12:53 PM
I have to confess, I pretty much know what happens in the movie.

But what I don't know is WHEN some of these parts actually happen in the film.

Some most people know: the birth of Vader, the Obi-Anakin duel, etc.

But actually seeing it is a whole nother ball-game.

bueno bob
05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Indeedy!

Vinnie Velvet
05-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Yup.

The build-up to seeing this movie is crazy.

Its gonna be so great when the 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm logo hits the screen and then THOSE famous words.......

Then BAM!!

Hit right between the eyes once again.

vanzilla
05-18-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm surprised you guys aren't already waiting in line for seats.

I was going to see it this weekend, but I'll probably wait until the crowd dies down. I'm not a big fan of seeing movies in crowded theatres. I like to stretch out a little. Kick the shoes off. Maybe unbutton the pants. Take off the shirt.

Wait, that's at a different theater. Nevermind.

Vinnie Velvet
05-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by vanzilla

I was going to see it this weekend, but I'll probably wait until the crowd dies down. I'm not a big fan of seeing movies in crowded theatres. I like to stretch out a little. Kick the shoes off. Maybe unbutton the pants. Take off the shirt.

LOL!!:D

Well, I won't be camping out but I'll probably head to the theatre a few hours early.

I mean, I do have a wife and kid to attend to.:)

vanzilla
05-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Vinnie, did you see the skit Triumph the Insult Comic Dog did in 2002 with the Star Wars fans? If so, what did you think about it?

bueno bob
05-18-2005, 03:29 PM

I can't. I've got a bad case of clausterphobia, and I can't be in a fully packed movie theater like that...never have been able to, it just drives me fuckin' nuts, I can't stand it.

We have a few of those theaters out in Portland. It's grate, so long as you don't mind 60 year old men standing around and beating off to whatever you're doing...lmao

Carmine
05-18-2005, 03:30 PM

HEY NOW!!!:D

Warham
05-18-2005, 05:49 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4558323.stm

The massive interest in the film, which was premiered in Cannes on the weekend, has prompted many midnight screenings.

"We are seeing phenomenal advance ticket sales in many territories," Paul Hanneman, Fox International's exec VP for sales and strategic planning, told US magazine Variety.

One theatre chain said its advance sales were 60% higher than for The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King, which took US$124m (£67.66m) in its first five days in North America.

"It is gigantic," said Fandango executive Art Levitt. "For those who are waiting for the opening bell to ring on summer, it's rung loud and clear."

vanzilla
05-18-2005, 05:54 PM
I live within walking distance of a 20 screen movie house. There were people camped out there this morning. When I went back out just about an hour ago, there were already 100 people waiting to get in and the show sold out 3 days ago according to one of the people waiting.

Not surprised though. I'd really like to see it this weekend, but I don't feel like dealing with the crowds. I seriously like to have theaters nearly empty when I go see a movie. Lots of matinees.

Warham
05-18-2005, 07:35 PM
'Revenge of the Sith has broken the record for the best opening of not only the saga, but of all time for any movie in Paris, beating out Spiderman 2. The Phantom Menace sold 10,909 tickets, while Attack of the Clones sold 9,336 tickets.

It then says that ROTS has sold 16,457 tickets.'

...from a fan site.

Three Lock Rock
05-18-2005, 08:57 PM
A lot of people went to see Ishtar, too :rolleyes:

ONE-TWO-THREE LOCK ROCK!!

KICKIN ASS, TAKIN NAMES!

Faggits!

Triumph
05-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Vinnie, did you see the skit Triumph the Insult Comic Dog did in 2002 with the Star Wars fans? If so, what did you think about it?

Ah yes, some of my best work indeed.
Star Wars nerds are easy prey. i like the movies but come on; i don't even geek out like that for halloween.

Enjoy the film.

Triumph vs. Star Wars (http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/2536/)

monkeythe
05-19-2005, 03:31 AM
I just saw it. This movie kicks ass. It is the best of the 6. The fights were incredible and the guy that played Anakin appears to have taken some acting lessons since the last movie.

The fight scenes were incredible and non-stop. If you enjoy the 1 on 1 light-saber battles then this is the movie for you.

twonabomber
05-19-2005, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Three Lock Rock
A lot of people went to see Ishtar, too :rolleyes:

shows how much you know. from the-numbers.com:

Ishtar

Released in US May 15, 1987
Total US Gross $14,375,181
Production Budget $40,000,000
Worldwide Gross $14,375,181

twonabomber
05-19-2005, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by monkeythe

The fight scenes were incredible and non-stop. If you enjoy the 1 on 1 light-saber battles then this is the movie for you.

seems like the mantra this time was "more sabers, less blasters." which is a good thing...

Lucas nailed this one. really all i can say.

Vinnie Velvet
05-19-2005, 10:18 AM

Yeah, I thought that was hilarious!

Hey, I love the movies: the story, how they were made (effects), some of the extended universe stuff, but I don't go out of my way and spend a lot of bucks on a costume!

To each their own I guess.

NEXT POST: VINNIE VELVET'S ROTS REVIEW!!!:)

DrMaddVibe
05-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Triumph
Ah yes, some of my best work indeed.
Star Wars nerds are easy prey. i like the movies but come on; i don't even geek out like that for halloween.

Enjoy the film.

Triumph vs. Star Wars (http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/2536/)

Triumph RAWKS!

I saw that skit on Conan when it aired...Its STILL funny.

Vinnie Velvet
05-19-2005, 10:42 AM
REVENGE OF THE SITH REVIEW!! By VINNIE VELVET

Well, I finally saw Episode III late last night (early morning should I say) and lemmie say this in two words:

FUCKING AWESOME!

Yup. The verdict is in. This Star Wars movie is great, and I mean REALLY great. How does it match up against the others for those who care? Well, its the best of the prequels no doubt and I liked it more than Jedi and even A New Hope. I can't say if its better than Empire. But that's just my IMO.

The movie kicks off with a blast in a space battle that's sure to be the best of all six. The pans across ships as they fly, following Anakin and Obi-Wan's starfighters through flames and what seemed like it was a Theme ride at Disneyland. Oh yeah, it rocked!

This first bit that follows Anakin and Obi-Wan trying to rescue Palpatine from General Grievous is classic Star Wars. After boarding a federation ship, they encounter battle droids. I liked this beginning bit as it was an obvious nod to Episode I where this time its Anakin and Obi-Wan slicing up droids instead of Qui Gon and Obi-Wan.

Its in these opening sequences that R2 gets to really be a kick ass hero. He's always come through for the good guys in every SW movie, but this time Lucas has really given him more to do in terms of fighting alongside Anakin and Obi-Wan. Its great to watch and the crowd loved every minute of it.

Oh, and General Grievous. This guy is so cool (see my avatar:) ) that it was a shame that he's only in this one movie. I would've rather had him in Clones instead of Jango Fett. He's the classic villain with a rough deep voice (to mimick Vader to some extent) shotting out orders,etc to his troops.

Things slow down a bit after the first 20 minutes and it basically follows the plot where Obi-Wan is sent to find Grievous after he escaped their ealrier encounter and Anakin is reunited with Padme.

Say what you want about their performance in Clones, but Hayden and Natalie really shine together in this movie. You could tell extra effort was given to their scenes and it goes over well. People didn't groan at their lines, this time it was done better.

Ian McDermid (Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious) really steals the show here. Its so cool to see how he changes his mannerisms (his voice!) once he finally reveals himself to be the Sith Lord the Jedi have been looking for all this time.

Anakin's fall to the dark side was done well too. I felt you needed to watch Clones to get his progression towards it because if you just watched Sith, it might feel rushed.

But it was neat. Anakin is torn between the Jedi and Palpatine, not to mention his need to "protect" Padme from her eventual fate. He thinks he's doing the right thing and we all know it isn;t. That's part of the sadness with him. I felt sorry for him.

The final duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan is great. Really done well. There is a lot of emotion attached to it, even moreso than the Empire duel between Vader and Luke.

But the Emperor-Yoda fight was really fun to watch. Yoda got most the cheers in this movie. He was indeed bad ass. But with the whole Clone Army going against the Jedi, Yoda and Obi-Wan had no choice but to go into exile, which takes us full circle to A New Hope.

It was fun to watch this movie. Yes, it was dark, but mostly towards the last half.

The Vader birth scene? A feast for the "eyes" if you will.;) You could hear a pin drop in the theatre when the infamous breathling starts.

Very cool.

So, see the movie, have fun. This is the last Star Wars movie and its a fitting end (beginning?) to the saga.

ODShowtime
05-19-2005, 11:11 AM
TODAY'S THE DAY BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bueno bob
05-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Nice review, Vin!

Now, as soon as the theaters clear out, I can actually see it myself!!

evhsrv5150
05-19-2005, 12:02 PM
I was at the midnight showing in Wilmington, De last night and this movie does KICK ASS!

Let's cover the good parts first: Lightsaber fights? You wanna see lightsaber fights? You got plenty of them and they are all very well choreographed, very entertaining.

This movie is DARK! I thought Empire was a dark movie but this one took leaps and bounds beyond. 1 or 2 parts that are kinda disturbing.

The acting in this movie was waaay better than the last 2 also. I felt like some of the actors were overreaching in the last 2 but not in this one. Very well done. As soon as the movie starts it just goes and never slows down. It's quite a ride. And the best part? You only see that fucking annoying Jar Jar Binks for like 3 seconds and he has no lines!

If you liked Yoda's final duel in Clones, you'll love him in this movie. The little green guy kicks major ass.

The only problems had with the movie were these: General Greivous is a total kick ass character! Wish I saw him in the last movie! I thought he'd have a more of a role in the movie but he gets whacked rather quickly in my opinion. And the way he gets whacked was a little disappointing for me.

Also, this movie should have been 3 1/2 hours long! Fuck the mainstream public, hardcore fans like myself woulda sat thru it and loved it. The reason I say it shoulda been that long is that they seem to race to tie up a lotta loose ends at the end. I think they did a nice job but woulda been kinda cool to expand on a few things.

All in all, great flick! I saw it a the midnight premiere and I'm going back in hours at 2PM to see it again!

Dave's Bitch
05-19-2005, 12:03 PM
IM GOING TO SEE IT IN A FEW HOURS!!!!!!!!!

bueno bob
05-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Have fun, guys!

Warham
05-19-2005, 12:56 PM
I think this movie might make more than A New Hope, by initial fan reaction.

A guy that works with my wife said that the theatre in Revere MA, which is like 20 screens, had SIX sold out for the 12:01 show last night. I don't think AOTC came close to that.

I think it'll break the opening day record.

evhsrv5150
05-19-2005, 01:02 PM
A guy that works with my wife said that the theatre in Revere MA, which is like 20 screens, had SIX sold out for the 12:01 show last night. I don't think AOTC came close to that.

I think it'll break the opening day record.

The theater I saw it at last night has 16 screens, 10 of which were showing Star Wars!

twonabomber
05-19-2005, 01:03 PM
I think this movie might make more than A New Hope, by initial fan reaction.

i dunno. i think they count all the re-releases toward the total take. the Special Edition releases put them back on top.

i would personally love to see ROTS shit all over the LOTR totals and take Titanic out of the #1 all time spot. thing is, ROTS doesn't have the same appeal as Titanic does, it's not a film that the teenyboppers will go see over and over again.

Soul Reaper
05-19-2005, 01:04 PM
IT'S TODAY!!!!

but unfortunately, i'm not seeing it today :sad: .

I'll see it soon though

Warham
05-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
i dunno. i think they count all the re-releases toward the total take. the Special Edition releases put them back on top.
\

They do. A New Hope has made $461 million total. The Phantom Menace made about $405 million. I think this movie can top TPM.

As far a breaking Titanic. Not too confident, since 10-18 year old girls saw the movie many, many, MANY times, and men went to see it more than they'll admit.

evhsrv5150
05-19-2005, 01:16 PM

i would personally love to see ROTS shit all over the LOTR totals and take Titanic out of the #1 all time spot.

Here, here! I couldn't agree with you more. You know what pissed me off? When I watched the bonus disc that came with the Star Wars DVD release and saw that fat fuck Peter Jackson commenting on SW in the documentary. I wanted to say, "Dude, the only fucking reason anyone knows your name is because of 1 fuckin series of films that JUST got released and no one has given it any time to see if they will still have the same appeal in the years to come!"

thing is, ROTS doesn't have the same appeal as Titanic does, it's not a film that the teenyboppers will go see over and over again.

Unfortunately, this is true.

twonabomber
05-19-2005, 01:25 PM
without Lucas and Star Wars, Jackson would not have been able to do LOTR.

bueno bob
05-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I'd love to see it topple that piece of shit Titanic movie. If women didn't squirt in their pants every time Leonardo DicRaprio said something!! Ooh, he makes me so mad!! :mad:

Warham
05-19-2005, 01:43 PM
I had the hots for Kate Winslet back then. I would have left my ex-wife for her easily.

Rikk
05-19-2005, 01:57 PM
I saw TITANIC once. I hated it. That said, I would fuck the shit out of Kate Winslet.

bueno bob
05-19-2005, 01:58 PM
I had the hots for Kate Winslet back then. I would have left my ex-wife for her easily.

Apparently, since she's your EX wife, you lowered your standards :)

bueno bob
05-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Unless, of course, you're currently WITH Kate Winslet and keeping it all from us! :D

Matt White
05-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Never saw TITANIC.

Let's see...THE BOAT FUCKING SINKS!!!!

DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING!!!

bueno bob
05-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Never saw TITANIC.

Let's see...THE BOAT FUCKING SINKS!!!!

DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING!!!

It did?

I fell asleep during one of the 90,234,729,384 romance scenes with Leo, I guess...

Matt White
05-19-2005, 02:07 PM
"A New Hope has made $461 million total. The Phantom Menace made about $405 million."

I wonder if inflation is taken into account when these figures are given out by the motion picture industry. I believe they do not.
Just think of how much money A NEW HOPE would have made at $10.00 a ticket instead of $1.75?!?

Of coures, with inflation counted in, GONE WITH THE WIND is the alltime CHAMP. Of course, it was re-relased a dozen or so times.

A NEW HOPE will generate millions for ages to come.

bueno bob
05-19-2005, 02:11 PM
It's stood the test of time - and will continue to do so.

A movement for the ages, without a doubt.

Warham
05-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Apparently, since she's your EX wife, you lowered your standards :)

The big reason my ex is my ex is that she didn't want to have kids...and various other assorted reasons. :D

Warham
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
"A New Hope has made $461 million total. The Phantom Menace made about $405 million."

I wonder if inflation is taken into account when these figures are given out by the motion picture industry. I believe they do not.
Just think of how much money A NEW HOPE would have made at $10.00 a ticket instead of $1.75?!?

Of coures, with inflation counted in, GONE WITH THE WIND is the alltime CHAMP. Of course, it was re-relased a dozen or so times.

A NEW HOPE will generate millions for ages to come.

Actually, on a few sites, they have it adjusted for inflation.

Gone With The Wind would have made $1.1 billion dollars in today's money. Tickets in 1939 were 50 cents.

A New Hope would be #2 with $850 million.

Triumph
05-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Nice review, Vin!

Now, as soon as the theaters clear out, I can actually see it myself!!

Go to the matinee, i did this morning, first show, and it was empty.
40 people at the most, cost $6.25.
I sat in the very front row, alone, eating my kibbles and bits with a Mountain Dew washdown.

I can't really add anything to Vinnie Velvet's review, it is simply a must see flick for every Star Wars fan.
I walked in expecting a 2 hour and 26 minute film to take forever. but the scope of the story kept it busy and the time flew by.
This is definately a film i will experience on the BIG screen again, gotta take the puppies to see it.

The good guys did not win in this one, how cool was that?
The Republic got its ass kicked, some Jedi were shot in the back, very dark, very very dark.
The Younglings scene wasn't as bad as i was expecting, it was downplayed enough that it wasn't so brutal.
But when that one approached Anakin and that light sabre powered up, you could see that little guy flinch, i cringed at the reference it made to what was to come next.

It left me happy. the story is complete and i can't wait to get my hands on the DVD to complete the series.

You do understand that Lucas can persue the Vader story line for the period of the twins birth until the Emperial Battlecruiser is chasing the Princess across the galaxy in A New Hope.
Heyden and Lucas have both made similar comments about this not being the end.

But if not, I'm happy with it as it is, it is finished.

GO SEE IT!

Dave's Bitch
05-19-2005, 06:43 PM
THIS MOVIE IS THE BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,wow omg its so good,the fight at the end kicks ass,wow,thats only words i can think of to describe it right now,WOW

its a must see and EVERYONE has to see it

Warham
05-20-2005, 07:49 AM
'Star Wars' Grosses $16.5M in Midnight Run
By Associated Press
Thu May 19, 9:29 PM

LOS ANGELES - Moviegoers flocked to the dark side in droves, giving the final installment of George Lucas' "Star Wars" tale a record-breaking midnight run.

"Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" raked in an estimated $16.5 million from 2,900 midnight screenings Thursday, according to box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

That's double what the Oscar-winning film "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" took in during its midnight showings in 2003. The third film from director Peter Jackson's trilogy rang up about $8 million domestically from 2,100 midnight shows.

"This is extremely impressive," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations. "It just says so much about how excited people are to see this film that they lined up at midnight and just got on board and went along for the ride."

After the midnight debut, "Revenge of the Sith" widened to 3,661 theaters for daytime and evening screenings. The studio, 20th Century Fox, said box-office results for the first full day would be available Friday.

Tickets for the film went on sale last month. Soon after, legions of fans began lining up at theaters across the country, many dressed in full "Star Wars" regalia and sporting Jedi light sabers.

The final chapter in Lucas' six-film saga chronicles Anakin Skywalker's transformation from hero to villain Darth Vader. The film may be the darkest chapter in the "Star Wars" story, featuring more violence and a story line showing how a democratic government turns into a despotic regime.

"Revenge of the Sith" is the first "Star Wars" film to earn a PG-13 rating. The first five films were rated PG.

ODShowtime
05-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Oh, and General Grievous. This guy is so cool (see my avatar:) ) that it was a shame that he's only in this one movie. I would've rather had him in Clones instead of Jango Fett.

Good review, but I don't agree with this.

Grievous was under-utilized, much like Darth Maul. And if you didn't watch the Clone Wars cartoons, you wouldn't know he was injured right before the movie starts and probably think he was a being a pussy when he first appears on screen.

Other than that and having a hard time believing Anakin would go on a killing spree while Padme was still alive are really my only two gripes.

R2 does kick some serious ass, which I thought was great.

Nickdfresh
05-20-2005, 03:22 PM
A GALACTIC STRUGGLE

The age-old battle of good vs. evil plays out, giving birth to Darth Vader

By JEFF SIMON
News Critic
5/19/2005

http://www.buffalonews.com/graphics/2005/05/19/actualsize/0519yoda.jpg
The Jedi master Yoda does his part in "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith."

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

***1/2
(Out of four)
Rated: PG-13
Hayden Christensen, Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid in George Lucas' conclusion to the series that changed modern movies. Opening today in area theaters.

Evil.

There's no substitute for it in storytelling. The bible knew it and so did John Milton and Herman Melville. For that matter, so does "Law and Order: SVU."

It isn't that you can't tell stories without a palpable sense of it. It's just that a tale that has it might also find greatness.

It's what makes "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" the best, I think, of all the "Star Wars." It isn't just the darkest; it is, I think, the most personal. Quite frankly, it's the only one I've ever been able to take seriously.

There's a reason why Lucas chose to tell us his "Star Wars" saga in such a way that this story came last. This is the story of evil's triumph; the story of how a Jedi warrior named Anakin, in a terrible moment, turned to the Dark Side. It's about the way a well-intentioned young man can turn from Anakin Skywalker into Darth Vader. There aren't a lot of stories you can tell that are more serious than that one.

And, in the process of doing it, he's created one of the best hells in the history of movies. It's a planet of lava called Mustafar. In the history of literary, artistic and cinematic hells, there's nothing remotely original about it. It's just a molten bubbling landscape of angry red fire but it's truly hellish to look at. And, as the whole saga's final battles take place there, this whole cycle, so beloved by children suddenly exudes a whiff of sulfur that elevates it into an artistic firmament that it never began to see before.

Until now, Lucas' best "Star Wars" movies have been great fun and glorious to see. And that's all. It isn't easy telling that to some of those who slept on "Star Wars" sheets and played with furry toy wookies and ewoks as children - not to mention the obsessional true believers for whom the whole complex mythology of Jedi, Empires and Sith (bad guys, we now know) represents a domesticated universe ready for playtime.

But all "Star Wars," until now, were, for most of us, never more than a light show and a giggle. The ideas were fun to toss around - the Force, the Dark Side - but that's because they were already miniaturized so that they could fit into the cerebral equivalent of a pencil box.

Vader always the key

Until now, the great pleasure as we watched the cinematic saga go on and on in six installments over four decades was in watching the cinematic technology explode. God knows, it wasn't watching the unlucky actors who were condemned to absurd dialogue, blue screen calisthenics and, when Lucas was his own director, not a whole lot in the way of behavioral depth and subtlety. (Put Lucas in charge of a Modesto, Calif., community theater production of Chekhov's "The Cherry Orchard" and you'd probably wind up watching a grown man hide under the bed - where he'd frantically call friends like Spielberg and Coppola on his cell phone for help.)

And, too, there were always new space critters to marvel at. And cool new digital places for cosmic air battles. And armies of behemoths, clones, and whatever Lucas and his army of tekkies could dream up.

But all the while these gaudy, sometimes magnificent-looking light shows were going on, there was a tale being told whose center was Darth Vader, the black-clad, asthmatic, half-man, half-robot with James Earl Jones' voice.

And now it's all come home for a finale that moves way up in aesthetic class.

Unlike "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," Lucas has liked directing these three final "prequels" himself. He still can't direct actors for frijoles. Give him a seasoned pro - especially a British one (Alec Guiness in the original, Ian McDiarmid here) - and he'll figure out grand places to put the camera while he gets the heck out of their way.

Give him an American ingenue of either sex and he has no idea how to guide them. Hayden Christensen - who plays Anakin here - can act. But you have to see "Shattered Glass" to discover that. The best he can do here is glower while Lucas' camera catches him at high angles to maximize his meanness.

Natalie Portman runs the gamut from rueful to weepy. To see what she can do as a grown-up, though, you'll have to see her work for Mike Nichols in "Closer."

Students of "Star Wars" already know the story in rough outline. But it's satisfying and even moving to see how Luke and Leia are born. And it's even fun finding out where R2D2 and Chewbacca came from. But all that nestles comfortably in the little toy "Star Wars" playbox and has nothing to do with why I think this is the most serious film George Lucas has ever made.

Is it autobiographical?

Nor is it all the currently over-dramatized political implications of the evil Palpatine's (McDiarmid) erection of a brutal empire in the ashes of a democratic Republic. Of course, there are close parallels in dialogue to these Bush years but then you can find those in any era of political battling and creeping authoritarianism. The script could have had pointed resonances in 1969 and 1991 too.

It's vastly more personal than that, I think.

Let me cede that my reading of this final movie theater "Star Wars" (more made by others may come on TV) is unusual. I've read everybody and, thus far, I've encountered it nowhere else.

What moved me so much about "Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith" is the possibility that it is, in its fictional way, autobiographical; that it's George Lucas' fictionalized tale of how he turned from a noble, idealistic, aspirant Anakin Skywalker into Darth Vader, general of a mechanized army.

It's a hell of a tale.

Once upon a time - the 1970s to be specific - American sound movies were in what is now considered their second Golden Age. From the "Godfather" films to "Chinatown" to "Nashville," they had a creative excitement and daring they hadn't had since the early '30s.

The movie that decisively annhilated that Golden Age was Lucas' first "Star Wars" in 1977. The ugly Age of the Blockbuster that was slouching toward Bethlehem to be born was fully brought to life by Lucas' space fantasy and its attendant merchandising orgy.

Rise of technology

Lucas certainly didn't mean to kill the last great movie era but he did. In 1977, he was a movie idealist with a film editor wife. "Star Wars" turned him into a progenitor of corporate empire. In the ensuing years, he became the most technically influential moviemaker since D. W. Griffith. To this day, his computer animation company Industrial Light and Magic has been the model for a whole species of blockbuster fantasy when it hasn't actually supplied the imagery.

Who, in America, can begrudge someone wanting to make money? Or pursue technological progress?

No one has been more influential in extinguishing personal moviemaking than George Lucas. And I think he knows it. The blockbuster returns from both movie and merchandising have been endlessly corrupting. And he has, in all nerdly idealism, helped supplant cinematic humanity with technology.

Without meaning to, George Lucas has, you might say, become the Darth Vader of American movies. But once upon a time, before events turned him over to the coffer-filled Dark Side (and American movies with him), he was an idealistic Anakin Skywalker.

The irony is, then, that as you watch this huge, expensive, gorgeous money machine complete with Burger King tie-ins, you're watching, I think, as personal a film as some little backyard production whose cost was in six figures. From now on, Lucas says, he's going to make experimental films, profits be damned.

So forget the onscreen process of turning a flesh and blood Anakin into robotic Darth Vader. And forget that Hayden Christensen, under Lucas, can't really act.

Watch him, anyway, in one terrible movie moment, where an immature, ambitious talented idealist unintentionally makes the wrong choice - affirms the wrong loyalty and takes the wrong side with dire consequences for everyone.

And then tell me that somewhere somehow George Lucas isn't telling us his story.

e-mail: jsimon@buffnews.com

BuffaloSnooze (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050519/1034772.asp)

MAX
05-20-2005, 03:25 PM
LMAO!!!

My brother just called me and has it on VCD already for me just like the last one.

DaLeeRo
05-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I haven't seen this movie yet but i will see it.

You can see even from the tv trailer that this is movie is maybe one of the greatest movies that ever made! :D :p

Warham
05-20-2005, 03:51 PM
It made $50 million yesterday, breaking the opening day record by $10 million. It also holds the record for most money in a day, period, breaking that record by $6 million.

And this all on a Thursday.

Vinnie Velvet
05-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I saw it twice on Thursday.

Awesome.

Simply the best Star Wars movie since Empire and IMO is better than A NEw Hope.

But I know like to think of all movies as a whole.

Its a saga and it should be treated a such.

Bravo Lucas!

Soul Reaper
05-21-2005, 02:19 PM
I saw it twice on Thursday.

Awesome.

Simply the best Star Wars movie since Empire and IMO is better than A NEw Hope.

But I know like to think of all movies as a whole.

Its a saga and it should be treated a such.

Bravo Lucas!

Better than New Hope??!!

I've got to see Episode III.

I hope your right about it being as good as Empire Strikes Back

bueno bob
05-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Better than New Hope??!!

I've got to see Episode III.

I hope your right about it being as good as Empire Strikes Back

He is.

Warham
05-21-2005, 04:10 PM
I think it's as good or better than Empire.

Vinnie Velvet
05-21-2005, 07:05 PM
I think it's as good or better than Empire.

If its better than Empire (which I really haven't said it was just yet:) , though I do think its a close tie right now.

I think its because the movie is different.

Sure, we get all the lightsabre stuff, but it seems as if EVERYTHING, not only the effects, but the story, the characters have all just been turned up a notch!

Its like it was Star Wars on steroids.

There was stuff that I would've loved to have seen in the original trilogy that we didn't.

For me, its always been the story that's been compelling. Sure, its always fun to watch the movie blow up shit, but its the story that drives the whole thing.

And Sith has a great story, really deep, a lot of depth that NO other Star Wars movie had before it.

That's what makes it better or as good as Empire.

bueno bob
05-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Plus, it's virtually my victory movie. I mean, other than that misstep at Mustafar and my wife dying, anyway. And Obi Wan and Yoda getting away with my kids. And having to be second to the Emperor for all my life, at least until the end. But, I did get to dust off that bitch Dooku, so...it was all worth it, I guess.

Vinnie Velvet
05-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Plus, it's virtually my victory movie. I mean, other than that misstep at Mustafar and my wife dying, anyway. And Obi Wan and Yoda getting away with my kids. And having to be second to the Emperor for all my life, at least until the end. But, I did get to dust off that bitch Dooku, so...it was all worth it, I guess.

Yeah, Dooku really bit the dust there. That was some steller lightsabre play there, Bob!:D

bueno bob
05-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Yeah, Dooku really bit the dust there. That was some steller lightsabre play there, Bob!:D

Thank you, thank you...we aim to please ;)

Soul Reaper
05-22-2005, 09:25 AM
i'm going to see Ep III on Saturday.

i can't wait.

i've been watching the other movies in preparation

Warham
05-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Star Wars Episode III made a ridiculous $73 million on Saturday, destroying it's already record $50 million on Thursday. It has already grossed $158,000,000 in THREE days. It already holds the 3 day record AND the 4 day record, and will probably break 200 million before the end of Sunday.

Utterly amazing.

Brett
05-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie, and don't want to know ANYTHING about it, because I'm saying shit.. :)

Saw it last night, really liked it. However, I thought Anakin's reason for truly embracing the dark side was flimsy, "It's the only way to save Padme?" I don't know, just seems like he's a real weak-minded fool to buy that. And the reason Padme died was kind of lame...."She's lost the will to live?" I found that lame. But other than that, and they weren't big deals, I thought the movie was very well done, they did tie up all the loose ends nicely, including taking care of C3P0 not remembering anything in later movies by "wiping the protocol droid's memory."

I still think Empire was better though. :)

Warham
05-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Hold off on getting too excited about my numbers. I'm getting conflicting info. Grrrrrrr.

Cathedral
05-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie, and don't want to know ANYTHING about it, because I'm saying shit.. :)

I saw it twice yesterday, once in the morning and then i took my daughter last night, it was a damn good movie, not great, but damn good.

Saw it last night, really liked it. However, I thought Anakin's reason for truly embracing the dark side was flimsy, "It's the only way to save Padme?" I don't know, just seems like he's a real weak-minded fool to buy that.

I have to agree there, although i did think Heyden did a great job in this film considering the last one kind of irritated me about him, I'll give him an A- which is great with Lucas Directing the actors.

There are a lot of things that really pleased me in this movie, but my only true beef with it all is after all the buildup, the kick ass saber duels and the losing of his arm and legs at the hands of Obi-won before igniting into flames......James Earl Jones had to be scripted a "Nooooooooooooo".....Man, that scene irritated me more than the
"I've got to save Padme', so i'm gonna slaughter all Jedi is see", lol, c'mon George, give me a break......But the film most definately rocked.
It needed to be longer, lol.

And the reason Padme died was kind of lame...."She's lost the will to live?" I found that lame. But other than that, and they weren't big deals, I thought the movie was very well done, they did tie up all the loose ends nicely, including taking care of C3P0 not remembering anything in later movies by "wiping the protocol droid's memory."

I also have to agree again, lol.
To me? Those two children were her reason to live. her just dying for no apparent reason after learning Anakin was dead, or assumed so, she just says, "Fuck It, These Kids Don't Need A Mom, I'm Outta Here!"
That was pretty sad, but the background music was intense, lol.

I love the droids, the droids are cool as fuck, lol.
R2, man, i just cracked up at how he methodically ejected himself out of space ships in this film, and he was just so agile thanks to CGI, lol.

Yoda, i was tickled pink with him..he took a beating and looked amazingly real.
I tell ya, you would certainly have to be a Jedi Master to attempt doing saber battle with him, he's all over the place, lol, it was a laugh riot watching him fight.
He reminded me of a person who collects disability but isn't disabled, lol. Hobbles all over the place with a cane, but stands like Ninja when scrappin time comes.
"Mmmm Hmmmm, collect disability, I Must. Batteries for light saber, Yoda needs".

I still think Empire was better though. :)

I dunno, I don't really see one as being better than the other. I guess one could if they take each film as 6 idividual stories.
But i see them as one movie really, that took 28 years to finish on the screen. They did their jobs without falling victim to other curses of the movie sequels.
But i enjoy character development and a touch of drama in a good sci-fi movie, so i was pleasantly entertained all these years.

The action is great, the effects rock, the acting wasn't as bad as the last film and it just dies mid plot a few times with things mentioned above, but over all, it was better than i expected and also...Jar Jar got one scene and NO lines, lol.......Thanks George, Ya Done Good!

Soul Reaper
05-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Star Wars Episode III made a ridiculous $73 million on Saturday, destroying it's already record $50 million on Thursday. It has already grossed $158,000,000 in THREE days. It already holds the 3 day record AND the 4 day record, and will probably break 200 million before the end of Sunday.

Utterly amazing.

sheesh, that's GREAT. or should I say GRATE?!

Vinnie Velvet
05-22-2005, 04:34 PM
The dark side talks about some strange things.

But its just not the idea of saving Padme's life that's the only thing for Anakin turning.

There are other things.

Remember Vader still seems to think that the dark side can 'save people'.

As he taunts Luke in ROTJ he says, "Give yourself to the dark side...its the only way to save your friends."

So, its the same thing.

FORD
05-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Saw it last night, really liked it. However, I thought Anakin's reason for truly embracing the dark side was flimsy, "It's the only way to save Padme?" I don't know, just seems like he's a real weak-minded fool to buy that.

Exactly. Anakin didn't need the Jedi at this point,, he needed the Vulcans, because his emotions were totally blinding him from logic. And Palpatine knew that, and used it against him.

And the reason Padme died was kind of lame...."She's lost the will to live?" I found that lame. But other than that, and they weren't big deals, I thought the movie was very well done, they did tie up all the loose ends nicely, including taking care of C3P0 not remembering anything in later movies by "wiping the protocol droid's memory."

Both these events seem like convenient plot resolutions to me. Somehow they had to explain why Luke and Leia had no mother, and why C3P0 wouldn't know Vader, ObiWan or Yoda, since he had been there from day one (more or less)

What they didn't explain is how Vader didn't know the Droids when he hears of them in "A New Hope". He built Threepio, for fucks sake!

As for Padme, it would have been easier just to have her die in childbirth rather than this "losing the will to live" shit.

It happens, especially when you're a 95 pound 5'2" girl giving birth to twins.

Of course, the one hole in the plot that remains......

In Return of the Jedi, Obi Wan says to Yoda "That boy (meaning Luke) is our last hope". Yoda corrects him "No, there is another"(meaning Leia)

Did Obi Wan become senile as a ghost and forget that he personally agreed to let Senator Organa adopt Leia??

Other than that, the movie was very well done, that much is evident even on this substandard bootleg release.

Now I gotta see it on the big screen for the full experience :D

Warham
05-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Obi-Wan thinks that a woman's place is being pregnant and brushing her hair on a balcony, like Padme. Therefore he never thought of her daughter Leia as an alternative to Luke. :D Plot hole fixed!

twonabomber
05-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by FORD

What they didn't explain is how Vader didn't know the Droids when he hears of them in "A New Hope". He built Threepio, for fucks sake!

it's not explained in the movie, but it was explained either on the official site or in the fan club mag. they say protocol droids are pretty common, so it would be easy for Vader to not recognize Threepio as his own creation.

twonabomber
05-22-2005, 08:25 PM
$108.5m Opening Weekend For Episode III

Box Office Mojo reports that 'Revenge of the Sith' made an estimated $108.5m over the weekend in North America. If estimates hold, it will be the 2nd highest grossing weekend ever behind Spider-Man, which made $114.8m over its opening weekend, but had the advantage of a Friday opening.

'Revenge of the Sith' does hold the record for the highest gross over its first 4 days with $158.5m, putting it ahead of 'The Matrix Reloaded' which made $134.2m.

Overseas, 'Revenge of the Sith' has so far grossed $144.7m, for a cumulative worldwide gross of $303.2m. This figure could be higher, as it doesn't say if all countries grosses have been taken into account.

Warham
05-22-2005, 08:44 PM
it's not explained in the movie, but it was explained either on the official site or in the fan club mag. they say protocol droids are pretty common, so it would be easy for Vader to not recognize Threepio as his own creation.

Yep, and Owen Lars didn't recognize 3P0 in A New Hope, and the droid was on the moisture farm when Shmi Skywalker was living there twenty years prior. Those droids are VERY common.

Vinnie Velvet
05-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Also, Owen never saw 3P0 with his gold coverings.

He had a grey, spared parts look in Attack of the Clones.

FORD
05-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Obi-Wan thinks that a woman's place is being pregnant and brushing her hair on a balcony, like Padme. Therefore he never thought of her daughter Leia as an alternative to Luke. :D Plot hole fixed!

Nah, you're just trying to make Obi-Wan a Republican ;)

Vinnie Velvet
05-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Nah, you're just trying to make Obi-Wan a Republican ;)

Nah, I think it was Anakin/Vader who told him that "if you're not with me, you're my enemy."

:D

Vinnie Velvet
05-24-2005, 09:52 AM

I love that scene! Not so much the dialogue, but Portman is so hot!

bueno bob
05-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Hittin' it up on Wednesday, my review follows on Thursday :D

Finally got the old lady to break down and let me go!!!

Vinnie Velvet
05-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Hittin' it up on Wednesday, my review follows on Thursday :D

Finally got the old lady to break down and let me go!!!

You will not be disapointed!

Seeing again this week.