PDA

View Full Version : Jason Giambi really is a piece of shit...

POJO_Risin
05-15-2005, 07:27 PM
YOu gotta love it though...

...Giambi moans

Rips team over demotion talk

BY SAM BORDEN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jason Giambi singles in a run last night, but digs himself in deeper into controversy with his comments before the game.

OAKLAND - Jason Giambi said he was "pissed" about the manner in which the Yankees asked him to consider a trip to the minor leagues. By saying so, he may end up having to deal with an equally angry front office. Giambi wasn't happy when the Yankees raised the possibility of a stint in Triple-A, but he was particularly peeved when he learned that reporters knew about the request before he did. He spent the past few days stewing over the situation and told one friend that he was "very upset" about it.

Yesterday, he spoke out.

"I was pissed," Giambi told the Daily News. He added that, in his mind, the idea of a demotion was an overreaction to his recent struggles at the plate.

"That's a situation where (going to the minors) was something they wanted to talk about, then okay, let's talk about it," he said. "But then they can come to (reporters) and say this is out there. It wasn't right."

Yankee officials don't figure to react well to Giambi's sentiments, particularly since there already is plenty of tension between Giambi and Bombers brass, going all the way back to 2003 when the Yankees banned his trainer from the clubhouse and culminating in last week's attempt to send him to the minors.

George Steinbrenner has been angry over how little production Giambi has given considering his $120 million contract, and the team has explored ways to get out from under it. GM Brian Cashman and Joe Torre had a sit-down with Giambi on Tuesday to discuss possible solutions, and during the meeting the idea of going to the minors was broached. Giambi made it clear he wasn't interested, and said afterward that he is better off with hitting coach Don Mattingly and believes he should remain with the Yanks.

Earlier this year in spring training, The Boss used a profanity in reference to Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem, and there has been a long-running disagreement between Giambi and the team over how much access Giambi's personal trainer, Bob Alejo, should have to the Yankees clubhouse.

Now he must prove he belongs there himself. Yankee officials dealt with the distractions that resulted from reports over the winter that revealed that Giambi's grand jury testimony in the BALCO case included an admission of steroid use, but they did so with the idea that he would be an asset this season.

If he doesn't show significant improvement during the six-game road trip that ends Wednesday in Seattle, the Yankees are prepared to seriously investigate the possibility of buying out the rest of Giambi's contract (he is owed about $80 million over the next four years) since they have no interest in paying such exorbitant money to a player who spends most of his time on the bench.

Yesterday, Giambi questioned the concept of a trip to the minors, since, he said, he is not the only player to slump and did have a slew of productive at-bats during exhibition games that suggest he isn't that far from finding his stroke. He is hitting .200 with three homers and six RBI after going 1-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout last night.

"(The minors) might have been a viable option if I hit .190 in spring training and then I was hitting .190 now," Giambi said before the Yanks' rout of the A's. "But I mean, that's not what happened. I was hitting really well in the spring and everything was great. Then I went through a tough stretch, but give me five more hits and I'm back where it's not a problem. No one would be making a big deal of it then."

It should be noted that Giambi was the one who first told reporters he would be sitting down with Cashman and Torre to discuss how to address his problems at the plate. But Giambi said he had no idea that going to the minors was going to be part of the discussion, and was taken aback when it came up. He was further irked when he was barraged with questions about it.

"I didn't even really find out about it until later," he said.

Giambi has been in the starting lineup the past two nights and should get significant playing time during the trip. Torre said he is looking for Giambi to show him some signs he can be the player the Yanks expect him to be or else "other options" will have to be considered - likely meaning Giambi will end up spending most of his time on the bench while the Yanks investigate ways to cut ties with him.

This concept of a trial run, as it were, became the plan after Giambi let it be known he didn't want to go to the minors. Cashman didn't return a phone message, but Torre said he did not sense any anger from Giambi over the meeting or the suggestion of a trip to the minors.

"He may have hidden those feelings a lot of times," Torre said. "I still think he's interested in doing what's best for the team and that's what matters."

ON THE TRAIL OF JASON GIAMBI

Here's a breakdown of some key moments in the life of Jason Giambi since testifying before a grand jury on steroids at the end of 2003:

Dec. 11, 2003: Jason Giambi testifies in front of a federal grand jury in the BALCO drug-trafficking case.

June 29, 2004: After coming down with mysterious illness that was sapping his energy and exacerbating his struggles at the plate, Giambi is finally diagnosed with an intestinal parasite and put on antibiotics.

July 12, 2004: Sits out Home Run Derby at All-Star Game to regain his health.

July 30, 2004: Goes on DL after being diagnosed with a benign tumor. The Yankees do not reveal its location.

Sept. 3, 2004: Daily News reports that Giambi, who hasn't played since July 23, has been receiving non-performance-enhancing steroids as treatment for a benign tumor in his pituitary gland.

Sept. 14, 2004: Returns to lineup, but his hitting woes continue and he finishes the regular season with just 12 homers and a .208 batting average. He is left off the postseason roster.

Dec. 2, 2004: Giambi's testimony in the BALCO trial is leaked to the San Francisco Chronicle. According to the paper, Giambi told the grand jury he had injected himself with human growth hormone during the 2003 season and had begun using steroids at least two years earlier.

Feb. 10, 2005: In a press conference at Yankee Stadium (middle), makes first public statements since BALCO testimony was leaked. Apologizes for being a "distraction" to his team, but does not once use the word "steroids." Heads to spring training soon after.

Tuesday: In the midst of an 0-for-15 slump — and another miserable season — Giambi meets with Yankee GM Brian Cashman and manager Joe Torre to discuss a minor-league assignment. Giambi balks.

Yesterday: Giambi says he is "pissed" about the proposed demotion, saying it's an overreaction by the Yankees to his recent poor performance.

Man of steal

What Jason Giambi did to 'earn' his hefty paycheck last night:

In a game in which every other Yankee starter scored at least one run, Giambi collected $105,820 without passing home plate. As on Friday night, he was 1-for-4 with a paltry single in Yanks' 15-6 win. Giambi also used his well-paid eyes to draw a walk and strike out looking.

Originally published on May 15, 2005

Giambi is a piece of shit...just the kind of quality individual you want in your clubhouse...

ALinChainz
05-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Shit has went bad, and no matter what he is going to say, most will point to the juice, or his current lack thereof.

Bob_R
05-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Baseball players in general are spoiled, pampered athletes.

jojo2371
05-16-2005, 01:56 PM
screw giambi ! how about my orioles !!!!!! lmao all of baltimore is on cloud nine right now !

knuckleboner
05-16-2005, 05:51 PM
damn straight!

i'm from northern virginia, so i've got tons of people bitching that with the nats in town, i shouldn't care about the o's.

well, to hell with them. i've been an o's fan since i can remember.

and there's nothing sweeter than seeing the o's on top and the sox and yanks far below...

Mezro
05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Shit has went bad, and no matter what he is going to say, most will point to the juice, or his current lack thereof.

If I was Giambi, I would stick myself full of needles, hit a crap bucket full of homers and pick up the rest of my dough.

Mezro...he really should have stayed in Oakland...made less money and stayed under the radar...the Feds never would have targeted him...

ALinChainz
05-18-2005, 11:45 PM
He's starting to hit a little after the near demotion.

Struggling was the last thing he wanted to happen after the off season he had.