PDA

View Full Version : Saw Velvet Revolver tonight

stringfelowhawk
05-16-2005, 02:15 AM
I was gonna write this when I got home from work tomorrow but I gotz to say this now....

Hoobastank really fucking hoobastunk! Why these guys would be on a bill with a rock band is beyond me. Their manager had to perform so unreal sexual favors to get them this gig. I'm not even gonna disgrace this review by mentioning them anymore after I say this. Remember when kickass rock bands had lead singers? Yeah, me neither cause rock has become so much a fucking parody it saddens me. I guess now the only requirement to start a band is to play drowned out power chords over a generic "lead screamer". Singers don't exist anymore. Someone needs to set all these faux punk or faux metal bands down and force them to watch live vids from say, CVH, Zep, AC/DC, The Who, or The Stones to name a few.
If your name isn't Plant, Cornell, or Bach. Stop FUCKING SCREAMING YOUR LYRICS! Its embarrassing already. The only good thing about that forty minute set that sounded more like a blue whale giving birth was the lead singer asking if there were any G-N-R or STP fans out there. He then asked about Journey for which the entire place started booing. They actually played the first verse of one of their pussy ballads then stopped and made the comment, "For an audience that hates Journey, you motherfuckers sure know the words"! The only thing that made me laugh harder than that was their performance.

So, let me say this, "Velver Revolver" had a damn good night. So good, they got two encores. I was into this show. Of course they played almost all of Contraband. They snuck in "Sex Type Thing" and "It's So Easy" in the middle of the show. That's pretty much the set list but these guys were in awesome shape and Scott sounded damn good. Vocals were great and they were really tight. The coolest part of the show had them break down into a jam in the middle of "Sex Type Thing". He jumped off stage and made his way straight up our isle. Security caught up with him and surrounded him so know one could strip him or grab the mic. I was 4 seats from the isle and he jumped up on the seat across the isle and started talking and having a good time. I've never been to a concert where he anyone actually came out into the audience let alone the fact there was no gaurd rail or anything. Slash made me realize why I love great guitar players. He was in a word, devestating! Damn I miss guitar rock so much. First encore was a dead on cover of "Wish You Were Here" which Slash played on a 12 string note for note. They jumped right into "Mr. Brownstone" which surprised me cause Scott did a great job on it. Man, that place erupted. Second encore was "Slither" and he laid his guitar down on stage while the last note was still vibrating and all of em walked off stage. It was still playing when the house lights came up. Great fucking show!

The reason I decided to go ahead and do this is cause I walked in with my "It Ain't Van Halen Without David Lee Roth" shirt, which always collects numerous high fives and "Damn straight" comments.
We were sitting next to these two hot chicks just graduated and all. So, as the band came out and everyone stood up and went off I notice this poor soul one row up on the end wearing a "Red Rocker" t-shirt which doubled me over with sheer embarrassment for the guy and as I caught the chicks attention cause I couldn't stop laughing, they noticed and started laughing at the guy too. I totally admire him for having the sac to wear that shirt even though it was clear the guy got bullied his entire life for having such shitty taste in music. And I stopped counting the people that walked by giggling at the guy. It must have been torture.

Rikk
05-16-2005, 02:18 AM
LOL. The guy actually had a RED ROCKER shirt at a Weiland concert?

How can someone admire one of the greatest frontmen in history and still enjoy the "music" of one Samuel Hagar?

stringfelowhawk
05-16-2005, 02:23 AM
If I could answer that I'd be able to bring about world peace.

I will say that I was impressed by the band altogether. I hadn't really heard Dave play anything but he was very good. I don't recall the song but he and Slash were trading solos at the end and it was very cool. Almost like a mini duel. Also, they appeared to be completely sober and drug free. I'm so glad I bought my tickets when I did because it was storming pretty bad and they shut down the lawn because of it.

Rikk
05-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Yeah, I've been wanting to see them. But I just never went and got tickets. I'll see 'em next time, that's for sure. I just hope they still play SUCKER TRAIN BLUES next tour.

Matt White
05-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Both times I've seen 'em they played STB's RIKK.

GRATE BAND!!!!

I didn't see any Ched-heads in DETROIT!!!:)

That is too funny.

Unchainme
05-16-2005, 05:50 PM
How'd The Hell Did An EMO Band open for VR. My Good Hoobastank sucks.

Unchainme
05-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Velvet Revovler Rules BTW.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
If I could answer that I'd be able to bring about world peace.

I will say that I was impressed by the band altogether. I hadn't really heard Dave play anything but he was very good. I don't recall the song but he and Slash were trading solos at the end and it was very cool. Almost like a mini duel. Also, they appeared to be completely sober and drug free. I'm so glad I bought my tickets when I did because it was storming pretty bad and they shut down the lawn because of it.

Yeah, I passed on the show.... I was pretty much on-call last night...

My co-worker, who was supposed to be on-call also, did go, and he said it was a great show....

Fairwrning
05-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Great review man....:killer: