PDA

View Full Version : US Grassroots Revolt

FORD
05-17-2005, 04:14 AM
US grassroots revolt

Leader
Tuesday May 17, 2005

Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,5195099-103682,00.html)

It would be easy to think that America doesn't doesn't give a fig for the rest of the world's concerns about global warming. President Bush has ignored his own scientists and kept the US out of the Kyoto treaty, and last week his chief climate negotiator, Harlan Watson, seemed to dash Tony Blair's hopes of a breakthrough at the G8 summit in July when he provocatively said that he saw no reason to take any speedy action. The ice caps may be melting and 19 of America's warmest years on record may have occurred since 1980, but the country responsible for a quarter of the world's greenhouse-gas emissions regrettably sees no reason to act. Wrong.

The White House is not America, and over the past few years concerned local authorities, institutions and groups of all political persuasions have quietly cocked a snook at the president by committing their communities to the same targets and timetables that the US would have been legally obliged to meet had it signed up to Kyoto. As of yesterday, 154 US local governments - representing more than 50 million people and responsible for 20% of all US greenhouse emissions - are part of a coalition that has pledged to reduce emissions by 7% below 1990 levels by 2012: more than Europe has committed to. Rather than fall for the White House line that meeting Kyoto targets means higher petrol prices and millions of lost jobs, they are taking industry and voters with them, dramatically cutting energy costs. Some, such as Salt Lake City and Seattle, have targets well below most European countries, and others are ditching SUVs and rethinking transport and heating strategies.

Not to be outdone, hundreds of universities have followed suit, But while these voluntary initiatives show America in a welcome light, they are, regretfully, not enough. If the world is to really address climate change, it needs the US government on every level to encourage, cajole, educate and insist on early action. George Bush should listen less to the vested interests of the oil and coal industries and more to his grassroots where common sense is often found.

BigBadBrian
05-17-2005, 07:28 AM
http://www.cert.dfn.de/infoserv/dib/c3_animation.gif

FORD
05-17-2005, 09:11 AM
The Guardian is a legitmate newspaper. Which is more than I can say for the WashingMoonie Times, the Jerusalem Post, NewsHax, or the National Likud Sympathizers Review (just to name a few of your :hagar1: sources

kentuckyklira
05-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by FORD
The Guardian is a legitmate newspaper. Which is more than I can say for the WashingMoonie Times, the Jerusalem Post, NewsHax, or the National Likud Sympathizers Review (just to name a few of your :hagar1: sources Anything BigBlubberButt canīt understand, he considers spam!

BigBadBrian
05-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Anything BigBlubberButt canīt understand, he considers spam!

I guess pedophilia is spam then you fucking child molestor. Now, run along and play with your Barbie doll. This is a forum for adults.

:gulp:

BigBadBrian
05-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by FORD
The Guardian is a legitmate newspaper. Which is more than I can say for the WashingMoonie Times, the Jerusalem Post, NewsHax, or the National Likud Sympathizers Review (just to name a few of your :hagar1: sources

The Guardian is slanted in the Liberal extreme as anyone can clearly see.

Anyone who has been on these forums for any length of time even knows I have even posted articles from it and read it, as well as dozens of news sources, but that still doesn't discount the fact that they have a political agenda.

:gulp:

kentuckyklira
05-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I guess pedophilia is spam then you fucking child molestor. Now, run along and play with your Barbie doll. This is a forum for adults.

:gulp: Take your puritan moral values and shove them where they belong. Just because you canīt score with good looking chicks doesnīt mean I shouldnīt be allowed to!

Hardrock69
05-17-2005, 11:27 AM
BBB...go fuck yourself.

The article above is concerned with trying to stop Global Warming.

The only political agenda involved is to report on people who ARE making efforts to do that, in spite of the White House's best efforts to destroy the environment.

Warham
05-17-2005, 02:36 PM
The Guardian is right up there with the NY and LA Times for journalistic integrity.

Nickdfresh
05-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Warham
The Guardian is right up there with the NY and LA Times for journalistic integrity.

:rolleyes:

But BigBadBlunder's Olly North (drug dealer) and Anne Coulter's articles are unbiased news? :rolleyes: