PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Hardest EVH move on the guitar?

ThrillsNSpills
05-18-2005, 04:09 PM
For the Ed heads on guitar.

For me it's the descending part during the solo on One Foot Out the Door.
Of course, all the leads on those albums were masterpieces. That one's got me stumped. I'll get it though at some point.
Do you have any that tripped you up?

Don Corleone
05-18-2005, 04:12 PM
When I was first learning Ed solos the stretch at the start of the Ice Cream Man solo used to be a bugger.

famac
05-18-2005, 04:13 PM
I think that decending pull offs with a bunch of whammy

Nitro Express
05-20-2005, 02:08 AM
The funk slapping on Meanstreets was a bitch for me to get down. I still could do it better. I've never heard anyone do it as well as Ed himself. That's why he made the big bucks.

tjvhou812
05-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
The funk slapping on Meanstreets was a bitch for me to get down. I still could do it better. I've never heard anyone do it as well as Ed himself. That's why he made the big bucks.

i agree bro

Seshmeister
05-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
When I was first learning Ed solos the stretch at the start of the Ice Cream Man solo used to be a bugger.

If at first you don't succeed cheat and use two hands...:)

academic punk
05-26-2005, 08:47 AM
His tone.

The acrobatics are one thing (and I think among the most impressive is in I'm The One), but making it sound as full and clean - AND IDENTIFIABLE - is another.

DaLeeRo
05-27-2005, 05:04 AM
Mean Street's intro is absolutely the hardest....

could anyone tell me how he plays that or could you just tell me where i can find guidelines to this song?

Nitro Express
05-27-2005, 02:24 PM
I never could figure that one out until the internet. I even watched the dude do it live but could figure what the hell he was doing out.

I bought that book that has all of Ed's old Guitar World interviews in it and Ed explains how he does it but his explanation is vague.

Then when Van Halen websites were popping up all over the place in the late 90's, I surfed them majorly. One one of these sites "I don't even remember which" someone started a How to play Meanstreets thred. People threw in enough good information that I was able to finally figure it out pretty good.

You basically tap the high and low E strings together or funck slap them with both hands in the rythum you hear on the intro. You have to do it hard as hell to get them to ring out. The tecnique is simple, doing it right is hard as hell. Keep working on it because when you first try doing it, it sounds like shit.

zeronumber
05-28-2005, 02:11 AM
Getting my effect chain to sound like Eddies rig for "unchained"...

Still don't know how to model the flanger or delay just yet.

Nitro Express
05-28-2005, 02:16 AM
Every flanger is different. Flangers can drive you mad, you can play with those little knobs for hours and feel like you have accomplished nothing.

zeronumber
05-28-2005, 02:21 AM
Tell me about it...
That's why I mostly stick with chorus effects with delay when I go to tackle a VH song....

it sounds nice, and has plenty of sustain.

ThrillsNSpills
05-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Mean Street is alternating with the right hand tapping the low E and the top 2 strings on the 12th fret and a percussive slap (hitting no notes) with the left hand on the strings.

Big Troubles
05-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Intro to Meanstreets. Lead in Jump. (for me anyways) Outta Love again. House of Pain. Drop dead Legs.

UGS
05-30-2005, 05:45 PM
I find the tapped harmonics right after the slapping on Mean Street even harder than the slapping. He does it so effortlessly. It reminds me more of what a piano player goes through, having to have two hands in the right place on the instrument. It's one thing to get your picking hand to the right string, it's another to be at the right place on the neck.

Cathedral
05-31-2005, 03:36 AM
The beginning to Girl Gone Bad is a fucking BITCH in heat.
he plays it with that table top thingy and goes at the strings like he's playing the damned piano.

I got it down by cheating and doing something totally different but achieving a like result.
Which goes right along with my appraoch of, "If you can't do something, do something that sounds exactly like what you can't do"

As Dave once said, "If it sounds good, it is good"........

The only complaints i ever got that i was doing it wrong was from the select few guitarists in the audience.
But 9 times out of 10 if i happened to catch a show by their bands, they were doing it wrong also.
They were doing it differently while achieving a like result, lol.

I don't strive to copy Edward exactly, never have.
I just learn the signature pieces in order to Van Halenize the tune properly and basically fool the audience, except for those who know better.
Never been boo'd, and i have seen many a band that has for tripping up a cover tune.

It's all good.....................

Eyes of the Night
06-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Top 3?, ...

MeanStreet intro

Im the one

Romeo Delight

The Scatologist
06-05-2005, 04:01 PM
mean streets intro isn't too hard once you get the hang of it..... but Top Jimmy is a bitch.

Panamark
06-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Has anyone tried to play RWTD and Unchained the way Ed fucked
them up on that last tour ?? Its really impossible to fuck up that
badly.... It takes the master !!

Matt White
06-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Being able to smoke, drink, and play "Eruption......

All with a blood alcohol level of .055%

Now THAT takes practice!!!!:D

DaLeeRo
06-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
Being able to smoke, drink, and play "Eruption......

All with a blood alcohol level of .055%

Now THAT takes practice!!!!:D

LMAO!!!!!:D :D :D :D

I'm the one is easy...!!!!!

It takes a while to play it clean.... I have noticed that, and i think that someone else is noticed that too!!!

ASDF125250
06-07-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm pretty sure the hardest EVH move on the guitar is the switch from playing good material to absolute shit. Then again, meanstreets is pretty hard too ;)

hollywood5150
06-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Meanstreets intro........maybe cathedral...........the arppregios part

...........or spanish fly the one handed double pull offs on nylon string is not easy.........

whatelse............alot of his songs..........with weird tunings.........
top jimmy.........about time...........women & children first album

etc...........??

Kristy
06-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Here's a question. How does Eddy get that pseudo-wah sound on Atomic Punk? I know there's a lot of string muting with heavy pick attack involved but what exactly is he doing there?

tydhurst
06-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Smashing the fucking thing right on stage!

DaveTheSoulOfVH
06-08-2005, 08:21 PM
wha-wha on 'Atomic Punks' ? no, it's a flanger effect

ThrillsNSpills
06-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Kristy
Here's a question. How does Eddy get that pseudo-wah sound on Atomic Punk? I know there's a lot of string muting with heavy pick attack involved but what exactly is he doing there?

right hand back and forth on the strings (heel of the hand) through a phase 90.

Kristy
06-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Okay, so he is using a phase shifter. Now that you mentioned that, it does sound quite obvious.

Thank you.

Kristy
06-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Can any one of you play the intro into 'Women In Love'?

ThrillsNSpills
06-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Chords are E B D A (bar chords, 7th fret E and B and 5th D and A)

tap the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings of these chords 1 octave above. (12 frets)

tjvhou812
06-13-2005, 10:12 PM
mean streets is a bitch

but has anyone figure out how he plays that opening solo
in judgement day, i know alot of you dont care for the song, but the solo in that is a bitch to figure out

bobgnote
06-20-2005, 04:23 PM
You guys want to get a little amp, jack a preamp-distortion thing into it like the old Craig Anderton kits, and blast.

Don't know why any of you have trouble. There are LOADS of ways to get blasty. That's the way you get easy CVH, with things like an old Gibson amp and Craig kits.

OR, you can jerk off, looking at EDDIE!!!! until your nads go twink, like BONO Bob did.

Matt White
06-20-2005, 04:42 PM
"Just say NO to crack!!!"

Terry
06-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Kristy
Can any one of you play the intro into 'Women In Love'?

That one took me some time to get right. Not so much the tapped harmonics in the beginning, but the fingerpicked part after, just getting it to sound clean....

Meanstreets intro has always been a bitch for me. Was in the same boat as Nitro for years, and still have probs getting the beginning slaps right.

For some reason, the two-handed tapping in the latter half of Spanish Fly is becoming more difficult to do as I get a little older. Not in terms of technical difficulty, but just the physical stretching of the first and fourth fingers on my fretting hand.

LoungeMachine
06-20-2005, 10:27 PM
EVH's Hardest Move on Guitar ????

probably putting the bottle down long enough to tune.....

maybe?

tjvhou812
06-24-2005, 09:44 PM
The way ed can use his pinky is amazing...

I dont think their is another guitar player who can use their pinky the way he can

Coyote
07-01-2005, 04:06 AM
Fuckin' Girl Gone Bad...