PDA

View Full Version : Victory -- marijuana will remain legal in Alaska!

Hardrock69
05-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Found this here:

http://www.sianews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2431

Dear Todd Brendan Fahey:
We did it! The Marijuana Policy Project and our allies in Alaska have successfully beaten back efforts to re-criminalize marijuana in Alaska. After months of round-the-clock lobbying and grassroots organizing, marijuana will remain safe and legal in Alaska.

We couldn't have done this without the help of our 17,000 dues-paying members. We spent $45,000 in Alaska to pay for a full-time lobbyist, two radio ads, and the generation of phone calls from constituents to their state legislators. And this doesn't count the cost of MPP staffers' time and overhead in our D.C. headquarters.

If you are one of the 115,000 subscribers on this e-mail list who have not yet donated to MPP this year, would you please visit http://www.mpp.org/donate2094 to contribute $10 or more today?

As you may know, last September the Alaska Supreme Court upheld a previous ruling that allows adults aged 21 and older to use and possess up to four ounces of marijuana in the privacy of their homes -- and not just for medical use. The MPP grants program funded this litigation.

A few months ago, Alaska Gov. Frank Murkowski (R) declared that re-criminalizing marijuana would be one of his top legislative priorities this year. At his urging, the state legislature introduced twin bills to impose the same penalty for the possession of four ounces of marijuana as for incest -- five years in prison!...

MPP fought back. Working with Alaskans for Marijuana Regulation and Control, we funded radio ads -- which you can hear at http://regulatemarijuanainalaska.org/ads/index.html -- slamming the bills, called thousands of Alaska voters to get them to complain to their legislators, and, with the help of the Alaska Civil Liberties Union, lined up experts to testify before key committees. And we succeeded at ensuring that all newspapers in the state covered this public outcry.

At the start of this campaign, political observers said we wouldn't even be able to amend the legislation. But we did better than that -- we killed the bills completely.

After four months of hand-to-hand combat, the state legislature adjourned for the year without even coming close to passing the legislation. And, when the governor called the legislature back into session for the summer, he decided against putting the bad marijuana legislation on the legislature's docket.

We won, against all odds, because MPP, Alaskans for Marijuana Regulation and Control, and the ACLU have been focused, aggressive, and professional -- and because we had the money to fight the fight that needed fighting.

Would you please show your support for our work by visiting http://www.mpp.org/donate2094 to make a donation to MPP? We need supporters like you to stand with us in our fight -- and, as our victory in Alaska shows, it's a fight that we can win.

Sincerely,

Rob Kampia
Executive Director
Marijuana Policy Project
Washington, D.C.

ODShowtime
05-19-2005, 11:04 AM
too bad it's in fucking ALASKA!

Marlowe01
05-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Arizona is probably next to decriminalize/re-criminalize because they had a referendum in the last election. Not sure what the status of all that is now, but there's hope.

Panamark
05-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Its pretty much a parking fine in a lot of states in Oz..

Hardrock69
05-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Well, I got popped in a mysterious area of the US about 12 years ago for having the equivalent of a few molecules....it was a traffic-ticket thang...they just wrote me out a summons and I paid a fine when I went to court. Due to my possession of a pack of ZigZag Orange, they allowed me to plead guilty to "Possession Of Paraphernalia", so technically I have never been convicted of possessing drugs of any kind.

Not that I ever actually "possessed" any anyway....I guess there have been times they have hung around me, but they were in possession of themselves.

Panamark
05-23-2005, 01:45 AM
You need an excorcist mate !

Coyote
05-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Someone play "Tubular Bells"!

The Scatologist
05-23-2005, 02:48 AM
"A few months ago, Alaska Gov. Frank Murkowski (R) declared that re-criminalizing marijuana would be one of his top legislative priorities this year. At his urging, the state legislature introduced twin bills to impose the same penalty for the possession of four ounces of marijuana as for incest -- five years in prison!... "

Damn, did katydid do her 5 years already?

kentuckyklira
05-23-2005, 04:07 AM
In my part of Germany, even a gramm or two of cocaine won´t get you any more than a fine, usually not even that!

I´m glad I live here!