PDA

View Full Version : What music legend performed under the nickname or psuedonym of Blind Boy Grunt?

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Well well well...so temme nah...

academic punk
05-22-2005, 10:38 AM
dylan

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Damn right he got dem blues!!:D

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 10:57 AM
What two bluesmen were Pink Floyd named afta??

jojo2371
05-22-2005, 11:19 AM
pinks anderson and floyd council

jojo2371
05-22-2005, 11:19 AM
"pinks" lmao srry typo meant pink!!!

academic punk
05-22-2005, 11:36 AM
What did Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones first fashion as a stage-name and why?

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Elmo Lewis in honor of Elmore James.

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by jojo2371
"pinks" lmao srry typo meant pink!!!

Pink(s) Anderson recorded a great version of the ol' "Bo' Weevil Blues," shaw' 'nuff nah.

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 12:00 PM
What Atlanta bluesman used to play blues in front of the Pig 'N Whistle Red barbucue joint with Curley Weaver??

academic punk
05-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
Elmo Lewis in honor of Elmore James.

Five stars!

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 01:14 PM
What Chicago bluesman had a left hand with six fingers...had one of 'em voodoo hoodoo 6th fingers...well well well...WELLA WELLA WELLAHH...

academic punk
05-22-2005, 01:16 PM
What Chicago bluesman had a left hand with six fingers...had one of 'em voodoo hoodoo 6th fingers...well well well...WELLA WELLA WELLAHH...

uh..."Ol' Six-Finger McKinley"?

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
uh..."Ol' Six-Finger McKinley"?
I was thinkin' of ol' Hound Dog Taylor, but Ol' Six-Finger McKinley sounds likes a badmammerjamma!!

academic punk
05-22-2005, 01:30 PM
What kind of women did Robert Johnson like to hook up with and why?

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 01:42 PM
hookers...'cause he had dem hellhounds on his trail...

Top Jimmy
05-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Everytime we do Crossroads by Robert Johnson, I usually do it right after 'Cocaine' by JJ Cale, and intro it by saying-
"Here's another song Eric Clapton did NOT write..."

academic punk
05-22-2005, 01:49 PM
hookers...'cause he had dem hellhounds on his trail...

Nope...but good guesswork!

he liked to find the "homeliest" women he could. Why? Three reasons:

1) odds are that they weren't taken,

2) b/c they'd be so appreciative of his attentions and cook him whatever he wanted.

2) No jealous boyfriend to contend with.

That being said, there is the famous story of him calling his record producer at two in the morning and saying, "I lacks a nickel".

His producer asked what he was talking about and he responded, " I got a lady here who says she'll love me for fifty cents, and I lacks a nickel."

somehting like that...

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 01:56 PM
I remember as story about Robert Johnson bein' put up in a room while he recorded or played a gig. Some cat gave him enough money for room and board and a good meal. Robert sent word to him later that he had a female friend with him who needed company and he,"lacks a nickel..."

academic punk
05-22-2005, 02:00 PM
That's the story, indeed.

let's seee...more trivia...hmmmmmm....

how did blind willie johnson lose his eyesight?

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Awesome question. Sad story. Was it an evil stepmother that threw bleach or turpentine or poison in his eyes??

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 02:03 PM
What 'drink' was Tommy Johnson of "Maggie Campbell Blues" fame fond of??

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Anudah Robert Johnson question, what pop tune was Robert famous for playin' 'round the Delta--he never recorded it.

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 02:32 PM
www.deltahaze.com/johnson/index.htm

www.island.net/~blues/rural.html

jojo2371
05-22-2005, 02:41 PM
yeah houndog taylor hand was once on the cover of guitar world ,that 2nd pinky finger was crazy !!!!!

academic punk
05-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Awesome question. Sad story. Was it an evil stepmother that threw bleach or turpentine or poison in his eyes??

If I could give ya another five stars I would! For accuracies sake, it was lye...she threw it at/in young Willie's face when she found out that her husband (Willie's father) had been cheating on her.

If ever a man was destined to play the blues....

stumped on the other questions...

diamondsgirl
05-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Nope...but good guesswork!

he liked to find the "homeliest" women he could. Why? Three reasons:

1) odds are that they weren't taken,

2) b/c they'd be so appreciative of his attentions and cook him whatever he wanted.

2) No jealous boyfriend to contend with.

That being said, there is the famous story of him calling his record producer at two in the morning and saying, "I lacks a nickel".

His producer asked what he was talking about and he responded, " I got a lady here who says she'll love me for fifty cents, and I lacks a nickel."

somehting like that...

and how did he die? and why?

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Robert Johnson died from poisoned whiskey a jealous husband slipped him at a juke joint. Sonny Boy Williamson II(aka Rice Miller) kept tryin' to knock the bottle out of his hands, but Robert was intent on drinkin' the whiskey.

diamondsgirl
05-22-2005, 06:41 PM
who was the first black female to ever record a blues song?

diamondsgirl
05-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Robert Johnson died from poisoned whiskey a jealous husband slipped him at a juke joint. Sonny Boy Williamson II(aka Rice Miller) kept tryin' to knock the bottle out of his hands, but Robert was intent on drinkin' the whiskey.

now thats the blues...sho nuf...

diamondsgirl
05-22-2005, 06:48 PM
who was McKinley Morganfield? :cool:

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 06:53 PM
The great Muddy Waters...who invented electricity...

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl

Crazy Blues--Mamie Smith

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I likes the stories 'bout Robert Johnson that he and Johnny Shines rambled all the way to Canada...he could hear a song once and play it note for note from that moment on...he made crowds cry when he played,"Come In My Kitchen"...how Robert, Howlin' Wolf, and Sonny Boy Williamson II would all play the blues on the streets, competin' fo' attention...how Robert would take Kokomo blues and makes Sweet Home Chicago...

academic punk
05-22-2005, 07:14 PM

uh...pat benatar?

academic punk
05-22-2005, 07:16 PM
There's also the story of one of the other Sonny Boy's getting an ice pick through the heart by a jealous girlfriend.

I don't care if he never played a note of music, that's a BLUES MASTER right there!

academic punk
05-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Howlin' Wolf was a contemporary of Johnson's? Can't see it. He was of the same age as Muddy, wasn't he?

BTW, ever hear The Roots of Robert Johnson? It's a disc that displays some of his stylistic and song-structure influences?

The "Love In Vain" melody was lifted from a very beautiful song called "When the Sun Goes Down". Worth searching out!

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Howlin' Wolf was a contemporary of Johnson's? Can't see it. He was of the same age as Muddy, wasn't he?

BTW, ever hear The Roots of Robert Johnson? It's a disc that displays some of his stylistic and song-structure influences?

The "Love In Vain" melody was lifted from a very beautiful song called "When the Sun Goes Down". Worth searching out!

I gots that album an' it is stellah!! Howlin' Wolf was born in 1910 or 12...In the evenin, in the evenin...

Thiz iz the greates' thread...ever...O' Yez...

academic punk
05-22-2005, 08:26 PM
What is the Wolf's best album? Compilations and greatest hits recordings (or the real folk blues stuff) count...

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 08:35 PM
I likes de album with the rocking chair on the cover...an' the recordings from Memphis...Wolf says,"I don't wanna marry don't wanna settle down...I'm gonn' do like the preacha...roam from town to town..."

I dig almost every toon by the mighty Wolf. With Sumlin, Pat Hare, or Willie Johnson on guitar.

academic punk
05-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Hubert Sumlin is among the very best. The rocking chair cover is what I've got, along with the wolf baying at the moon one.

What Muddy album?

(I myself only own the box set)

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Papa Muddy Waters...Live at Newport 1960...Fathers and Sons...1942 Stovall Plantation Recordings...all the albums with Johnny Winter...the psychedelic album he recorded is WILD...the album of Big Bill Broonzy covers...the folk album with a young Buddy Guy on 2nd acoustic guitar...yousa can't go wrong with any of 'em ol classix with Little Walter, Jimmy Rogers, and Spann!! The two disc set from Chess is cool/incl. some live recordings from Europe...

academic punk
05-22-2005, 09:01 PM
psychelic album? what psychedelic album????

Loons The Great
05-22-2005, 09:05 PM
"Electric Mud" which includes Let's Spend The Night Together

academic punk
05-22-2005, 09:27 PM
eek.

Hardrock69
05-23-2005, 01:31 PM
I was just down to Stovall plantation last October.

My best friend in the world flew down from Everett, Washington so we could go on a blues excursion.

Went to Clarksdale to the Delta Blues museum....saw some amazing shit. Stovall Farms (as it is now called) is only about 20 minutes NW of Clarksdale...we pulled up there and was just lookin' around at the cotton fields...and I saw a stone pillar about 3 feet tall and 2 feet square...I went over to it and lo and behold it said that was the very site that Muddy Waters' log cabin had been at! We had just seen the cabin IN the Delta Blues Museum....and we were not actively looking for the actual place it had been...we just found it by accident!!!

We also went to the King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena Arkansas that evening, and saw Pinetop Perkins play...man...that fucker is in his 90s and is STILL kicking ass!!!

I dig Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Muddy, Buddy, B.B. and many others.

diamondsgirl
05-24-2005, 11:37 AM
The great Muddy Waters...who invented electricity...

do you know why he was called Muddy Waters? :cool:

diamondsgirl
05-24-2005, 11:41 AM
I likes the stories 'bout Robert Johnson that he and Johnny Shines rambled all the way to Canada...he could hear a song once and play it note for note from that moment on...he made crowds cry when he played,"Come In My Kitchen"...how Robert, Howlin' Wolf, and Sonny Boy Williamson II would all play the blues on the streets, competin' fo' attention...how Robert would take Kokomo blues and makes Sweet Home Chicago...

I love that tune Come In My Kitchen :cool:

diamondsgirl
05-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

I dig Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Muddy, Buddy, B.B. and many others.

here's one...What does B.B. stand for? :cool:

also, B.B.'s guitar is named Lucille. Who is she named after?

academic punk
05-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Uh...blues boy? Lucille...after his mother?

academic punk
05-24-2005, 11:52 AM
One of the best, most erotic lyrics in all of music are B.B.'s:

Sweet Little Angel

I've got a sweet little angel
I love when she spreads her wings for me

diamondsgirl
05-24-2005, 11:55 AM
One of the best, most erotic lyrics in all of music are B.B.'s:

Sweet Little Angel

I've got a sweet little angel
I love when she spreads her wings for me

niiice :0

diamondsgirl
05-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Uh...blues boy? Lucille...after his mother?

1. yes :)
2. no :(

academic punk
05-24-2005, 12:03 PM
1. yes :)
2. no :(

uh...Don't tell me B.B. and Lucille Ball used to get it on...

Loons The Great
05-24-2005, 12:11 PM
do you know why he was called Muddy Waters? :cool:

'Cuz when he wuz a lil' chitlin', he would always be a playin' in the muddy crick...in the muddy water...talkin' the three b's...not Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms...Blues, barrelhouse, an' the natch'l boogie woogie...Howlin' Wolf says he got his name cuz when he was young he was always in trouble, in devilment...an' his Granpa would tell him if he didn't behave then well, you know what the Big Bad Wolf will do...a whoo hoooo a hooo hooo hoooo...Great post, Hardrock69, Ise went on a blues pilgrmage to Clarksdale a few summers ago...stayed at the Riverside Hotel where Bessie Smith died, got lost in time at the Delta Blues Museum, saw Bobby Rush, Othar Turner, and Koko Taylor at the Sunflower Blues Festival, and avoided getting knifed at lotsa juke joints...saw a cat named Bobo play the blues with one of the Jelly Roll Kings...I rode a greyhound bus down there, got picked up in a pimpin' Cadillac, all my frins drive lowriders, and when Ise was headin' outta town, I went to the ol' closed depot station an' a fellow festivaler was nice enuff to give me a ride in a pimped out white corvette...great memory from Riverside Hotel is wakin' up on a Sunday mornin' an' hearin' the local cats listen to Son House ol' scratch records...alright alright nah, that's the blues, yall...there 'tis....Tommy Johnson, a contemporary of Charlie Patton, Willie Brown and Son House, used to drink Sterno..ya know, Canned Heat...he also claimed to have made a deal with the debil an' wore a huge rabbit's foot 'round his neck...an' I read dat Robert Johnson was well know for playin' a pop tune or pop standard called My Blue Heaven(I'm guessing not the one by Fats Domino since he was a 50's cat)..."Electric Mud"--Ise only heard a few cuts from it, but apparently the musicians were top notch jazz cats...I think one of the Mannish Boy or Hoochie Coochie Man versions from that album have some weird intro with a rooster crowin'...not for purists but entertaining and it got Chuck D interested in the blues...I 'member a cool guitar at the blues museum that ZZ Top had made that was made from wood from Muddy Waters shack...Lucille, I'm not sure...was that the name of a dame that left him, broke his heart and started him to playin' the blues??...

Loons The Great
05-24-2005, 12:16 PM
I asked my baby for a nickel an' she gave me a twenty dollar bill
'asked her to a drink of liquor an' she gave me a whole whiskey stil

diamondsgirl
05-26-2005, 04:12 PM
'Cuz when he wuz a lil' chitlin', he would always be a playin' in the muddy crick...in the muddy water...talkin' the three b's...not Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms...Blues, barrelhouse, an' the natch'l boogie woogie....

yup :)

diamondsgirl
05-26-2005, 04:16 PM
BB King was playing in a club one night and I guy got so pissed off at his girlfriend that he set the club on fire. The girl's name was Lucille. :)

diamondsgirl
05-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Crazy Blues--Mamie Smith

Queen of the Blues :cool:

Loons The Great
05-27-2005, 03:53 PM
BB King was playing in a club one night and I guy got so pissed off at his girlfriend that he set the club on fire. The girl's name was Lucille. :)

Great story dere, y'all...that's the blooze...there it iz...

What bluesman spent his early days with a tribe of Blackfoot Indians, served in World War II, had a boxing career, and first recorded with Tiny Grimes and His Rocking Highlanders in 1952? He also re-cut his signiature song with Keith Richards on guitar in 1979.

Loons The Great
05-27-2005, 03:54 PM
His first name is actually Jalacy.

diamondsgirl
05-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Screamin Jay Hawkins :)

How many kids was he rumored to have fathered?? :cool:

diamondsgirl
05-27-2005, 08:15 PM
His first name is actually Jalacy.

Cool name :cool:

Loons The Great
05-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Ooongowwhaa, you got the powah!!

Loons The Great
05-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Cool blues links right cherre:

www.fatpossum.com

www.alligator.com

www.history-of-rock.com/chess_records.htm

Loons The Great
05-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Likes a thunderbolt in yer Cheerios, son

Loons The Great
05-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Cool, cool Howlin' Wolf link nah nah:
www.howlingwolfphotos.com/

Loons The Great
05-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Muddy Waters invented electricity:

www.muddywaters.com/bio.html

Loons The Great
05-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Some Screamin' Jay Hawkins links forya nah:

www.warr.org./screaminjay.html

www.deathrock.com/screaminjayhawkins/links.html

www.audio.msk.ru/hawkins

www.home.datacomm.ch/mik/ba/h/hawkins_jay/press/nowdigthis2000_203-1.html

Loons The Great
05-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Anyone 'round thiz hood ever cover a Screamin' Jay Hawkins toon it dere band nah??

Loons The Great
05-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Picked up Dave Hole's,"Short Fuse Blues," today, this cat can play that ol' slide nah...

Well well well...Yez Yez...Sho' Nuff'...Alright nah...yez yeah...I got dem ol' blues, got 'em in the bottom of my ramblin' shooz...WELLA WELLA WELLAH...o' yeah o' yeah...

Wella, all you ladies gatha 'round
The good sweet candy man's in town
It's the candy man, it's the candy man

Loons The Great
05-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Awwww Yez Yez nah...who's seen some blues live nah?

diamondsgirl
05-31-2005, 09:07 PM
I check out lots of the blues joints in the Boston area. We have some great local talent. I'll be hitting the 10th annual Boston Blues festival this fall. I go every year. ..tons and tons of bands and solo guitarists, etc. Such a good time..

This year they are doing it up for the 10th anniversary. Bigger and better than ever. They'll have stuff going on everynight for a week at all the blues bars and then a big bash on the weekend.

(The bash is at the Hatchshell...Same place where Roth did his July 4 gig :cool: )

Loons The Great
06-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Diamondsgirl, were you there when the Roth/Hagar Tour rolled into Boston in '02??

diamondsgirl
06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Diamondsgirl, were you there when the Roth/Hagar Tour rolled into Boston in '02??

It rolled into Mansfield, Ma...and yup I was there!

Dave was shining like a diamond....:cool:

diamondsgirl
06-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Screamin Jay Hawkins :)

How many kids was he rumored to have fathered?? :cool:

50+ kids...what a stud :p

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2000/09/09/screamin.jpg

Loons The Great
06-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Screamin' Jay Hawkins believed in family values...he started 3 or 4 families himself per year!! Yez Yez...I ain't lyin'...shaww' 'nuff nah...Yez Yeah...Alright nah...

Loons The Great
06-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Blind Willie McTell link forya:
www.unca.edu/~sinclair/piedmontblues/mctell.html

Skip James link nah nah:
www.cr.nps.gov/delta/blues/people/skip_james.htm

Loons The Great
06-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Cool, cool Buddy Guy link:
www.buddyguys.com/

Junior Wells link nah:
www.island.net/~blues/junior.html

Loons The Great
06-09-2005, 08:40 PM
I recently picked up,"Down In The Groove," by Bob Dylan which includes a stellar,"Let's Stick Together."...but I can't belieb Kip Winger played bass on one of the other tunes...WTF??

rustoffa
06-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Looked like there was 10,000 people standin' round the buryin' ground

I didn't know I loved her 'til they laid her down

Looked like 10,000 were standin' round the buryin' ground

You know I didn't know I loved her 'til they damn laid her down

Little ghost, little ghost, one I'm scared of the most, can ya scare me up a lil' bit o' love?

:D

Loons The Great
06-10-2005, 12:42 PM
I dig 'em lyrics, rustoffa!!

Who had a first cousin named Jack who recorded,"Oklahoma Hills," for Capitol Records in 1944?

Loons The Great
06-10-2005, 09:11 PM
www.bobdylan.com

superdave
06-10-2005, 09:15 PM
what was Sam's pseudonym then, Bette Midler Grunt??

rustoffa
06-10-2005, 09:41 PM
I dig 'em lyrics, rustoffa!!

The legendary Son House! Delta Blues perSONified. Little Jack White thinks the world of him, so I tossed the brand spankin' new ode in for good measure.

Loons The Great
06-11-2005, 08:58 PM
A lil' Robert Nighthawk link forya one time nah yez yeah!!:

www.baddogblues.com/nighthawk/

Loons The Great
06-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Blind Willie Loons The Great, The King Of Them Blues
Who had a first cousin named Jack who recorded,"Oklahoma Hills," for Capitol Records in 1944?

Woody Guthrie

diamondsgirl
06-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great, the KING of them Blues :cool:
Screamin' Jay Hawkins believed in family values...he started 3 or 4 families himself per year!! Yez Yez...I ain't lyin'...shaww' 'nuff nah...Yez Yeah...Alright nah...

I started a Creedence thread and mentioned Hawkins tune "I put a spell on you"

you like that tune?

what do you think of Creedence version? I think its mint. :cool:

do you like Fogarty's voice?

Loons The Great
06-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I be diggin' both versions of I Put A Spell On You...that's my ring on my cellphone...I really dig Screamin' Jay and Jeff Buckley's versions of Alligator Wine!!...I dig Fogerty in CCR, 'specially Run Through The Jungle..."Old Man Iz Down De Road," iz 'bout the only solo tune of hiz I dig...well well well...YEZ YEZ...Oh we'll live on pork and kisses if you'll only be my misses...

Loons The Great
06-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Well...well...well...Red Rooster says cock-a-doodle doo...rich woman says any dude will do...Yez YEZ...

Loons The Great
06-17-2005, 07:59 PM
An' a DLR hero:
www.docsguitar.com/

Loons The Great
01-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Which bluesman played guitar on Don Johnson's album,"Heartbeat?"

Loons The Great
05-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughn^^^^^^

Who played keyboard on Elvis's version of,"Kentucky Rain?"

Loons The Great
05-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Ronnie Milsap

Shaun Ponsonby
05-05-2007, 08:10 AM
What was the title of the first song with the word "Blues" in the title and who wrote it?

Loons The Great
05-08-2007, 07:33 PM
http://www.scaruffi.com/history/blues.html

Loons The Great
06-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Who's blues pseudonym is Thunderhead Hawkins??

rustoffa
06-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Where did Jimmy Page get his '59 Les Paul?

Loons The Great
06-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Where did Jimmy Page get his '59 Les Paul?

Joe Walsh?

rustoffa
06-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Joe Walsh?

:cool:

I know....way too easy. Let's see......ok. Who did Boz Scaggs work for before he had solo sucksess??
:confused:

No Googling aloud!!!

Loons The Great
06-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa

I know....way too easy. Let's see......ok. Who did Boz Scaggs work for before he had solo sucksess??
:confused:

No Googling aloud!!!

Does it have anything to do with Shoo Bop?:D