PDA

View Full Version : I Cant Take It Anymore ! Ahhhh

Panamark
05-22-2005, 08:34 PM
I was just driving home and "Knights in white satin" came on the
radio, its one of those songs that creates a kneejerk reaction,
"Quick change the station !!". (Any Van Hagar, on the rare occasion
that I actually hear it, does this to me too)

But I realized there is a shitload of songs on the airways that
have been played so many fookin times, its actually torture to
sit through them...

Im sure everyone has at least one of these !!

academic punk
05-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Anything by the Doors.

I burnt out on them by junior year of high school.

Terry
05-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Sad part is there are a shitload of those overplayed tunes that I actually think are great songs and like them, but can't listen to them anymore. Haven't been able to for a long time. American rock radio is notorious for taking a handful of tunes by any given band and wearing them into the fucking ground.

Here's my list:

Van Halen > Jump, Panama, Ain't Talking Bout Love

AC/DC > Highway To Hell, Back In Black, You Shook Me All Night Long

Pink Floyd > Just about anything off of Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, Wish You Were Here and the Wall

Motley Crue > GirlsGirlsGirls, Home Sweet Home, Dr.Feelgood (not
even that much of a Crue fan)

Lynard Skynard > Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama, Gimme Three Steps,
That Smell

The Who > Pinball Wizard, Won't Get Fooled Again

Led Zeppelin > Rock and Roll, Stairway To Heaven, Whole Lotta Love,
Kashmir, Heartbreaker, The Ocean, Over The Hills And
Far Away

Guns and Roses > Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome To
The Jungle

In all seriousness, all of the above tunes from the aforementioned artists should be placed under a moratorium by any rock formatted stations for two years, and other tunes in those artists' catalogs should be substituted.

superdave
05-22-2005, 09:31 PM
the local radio here in the Twin Cities plays the fuck out of Zeppelin, the Stones, Boston, Pink Floyd, the Who, and CCR among others, and they play the same songs day after day, never any 'deep' album cuts

with Van Halen it is always You Really Got Me, Dance the Night Away, or the first hit with Hagar at the helm, I can't bring myself to type the name....

Terry
05-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by superdave
the local radio here in the Twin Cities plays the fuck out of Zeppelin, the Stones, Boston, Pink Floyd, the Who, and CCR among others, and they play the same songs day after day, never any 'deep' album cuts

with Van Halen it is always You Really Got Me, Dance the Night Away, or the first hit with Hagar at the helm, I can't bring myself to type the name....

There's another one I forgot: Boston.

Nothing off of Boston's first album, the title track off the second album and "We're Ready" and "Amanda" off of Third Stage need to be played on any US rock station for at least 5 years.

Rolling Stones > Brown Sugar, Bitch, Miss You

CCR > Bad Moon Rising, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Fortunate Son

superdave
05-22-2005, 09:39 PM
they are also heavy on Styx and Van Morrison

academic punk
05-22-2005, 09:47 PM
they are also heavy on Styx and Van Morrison

Oh, yeah...Van...FM radio forever destroyed "Moondance" and "Brown Eyed Girl" for the general population...

Jano
05-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Smells like teen spirit from Nirvana!

FORD
05-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Absolutely anything by Steely Dan, the most overrated non-band in musical history.

What pretensious boring fucking crap.

Terry
05-23-2005, 07:59 AM
And I dig pretty much all of the bands listed above, but someone needs to clue these station owners in that all of them put out more than a half-dozen tunes that are worth broadcasting.

Like, do I really need to hear Aerosmith's 'Walk This Way' for the one millionth time?

Last_Child
05-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Every Damn Guns N' Roses Song---

Whole Lotta Love/Smells Like Teen Spirit/Bad Moon Rising/Schnappi The Fucking Douchebag Crocodile/ + many others

superdave
05-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Absolutely anything by Steely Dan, the most overrated non-band in musical history.

What pretensious boring fucking crap.

I cannot fucking stand Steely Dan, and dont know of anyone who likes them

guwapo_rocker
05-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Anything by REM.

ALMOSTsaved
05-23-2005, 09:35 AM
The entire Boston catalog does this to me. Of course the radio stations around her play at least 2 Boston songs an hour.

Other songs I can't stand are:

"Fool In The Rain" by Led Zeppelin

"You Got That Right" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

"I Know A Little" also by Skynyrd

Any and ALL George Thorogood. Did he roll tape and write the lyrics to "One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer" while recording? Absolute crap.

"Never Been Any Reason" by Head East I think...The voice sounds like Geddy Lee on helium.

Any and ALL Steely Dan.

Any and ALL CCR.

And many MANY more.

Hardrock69
05-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Anything by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Down here in Gnashville, one cannot leave the radio on more than 5 minutes without some of their shit.

I am not a Southern Rock fan, as it reminds me of racist, inbred, Deliverance-style hillbillies with electric guitars.

However, Skynyrd were a great band that was ruined by radio overplaying them.

I saw them open for ZZ Top in April of 2000.

I was SO FUCKING BORED. I went for a walk around the mezzanine at the coliseum for the last half of their set, because I had no fucking interest whatsoever in being subjected to their music....

aesop
05-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I am not a Southern Rock fan, as it reminds me of racist, inbred, Deliverance-style hillbillies with electric guitars.

However, Skynyrd were a great band that was ruined by radio overplaying them.

Dude, that makes absolutely no sense whatsover...lookup "Southern Rock" in the handy Webster's and it says: "See Lynyrd Skynyrd"...

DaLeeRo
05-23-2005, 01:36 PM
AC/DC - Thunderstruck, Back In Black

Rainbow - I Surrender, Since You've Been Gone, Kill The King

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

Judas Priest - Electric Eye, Living After Midnight, Breaking The Law, You Got Another Thing Coming, The Green Manalishi

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train, Mr.Crowley, Goodbye To Romance

Van Halen - Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, You Really Got Me, Unchained, Runnin' With The Devil

Iron Maiden - The Trooper, The Number Of The Beast, Run To The Hills, Wasted Years.

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water, Black Night

Soul Reaper
05-23-2005, 01:40 PM
overplayed tunes on the radio are those damn indie bands.

i occassionally check to see if there is anything good on the radio and it's the same bloody songs as last time, and they're shit!!!

Terry
05-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Also:

George T's 'Bad To the Bone'

Aerosmith's 'Dream On'

Jérôme Frenchise
05-23-2005, 05:34 PM
I'll only mention artists I dig.

"Satisfaction". Anytime they play the Stones on the radio here, it's either "Satisfaction" or "Paint it black".

"Stairway to heaven", for the same reason, plus every time some teen discovers Led Zeppelin, he/she will never stop telling you how great it is and so on...
Even Robert Plant himself got bored of it.

The Police's "Roxanne". And the usual attempts at singing the chorus.

"Highway to hell" has been played fucking too much as well.

"Knockin' on heaven's door". A drag.

The final "naaah, naah, nah, nanah nanaaah..." in the end of "Hey Jude" makes so many go all soppy...

rustoffa
05-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Born to be wild has got to be in the top five.

Born to run as well.

Get your motor running and wrap your face 'round a molten exhaust pipe.

Panamark
05-24-2005, 01:49 AM
That fucking Lenny Kravitz "Fly Away" song.. I know its not an old
classic that has been overplayed for years, but fuckin hell..
That song has a Van Hagaresque effect on me. SMASH TIME !!

Its like, Fly away already, Lenny, we get the fucking point !!!

Ally_Kat
05-24-2005, 02:51 AM
Over here they've been recently playing the hell out of Fleetwood Mac's Rhiannon which is pissing me off because I like that song and I don't want to hear it so much that I get sick of it.

And there's this one song that i don't know the title to. It's played on the lite fm station. Whenever it comes on, my mother and I can sing along perfectly and we hate that song. It's on everytime we turn the station on.

Mr Grimsdale
05-24-2005, 05:13 AM
i like steely dan!

Panamark
05-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Fook !!

Grimmy dont lose that number !!

academic punk
05-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Griiiiiiiiiims will come back to you
Griiiiiiiiiims will come back to you
Griiiiiiiiiims going spoosh-sploosh aaaaalllll night
It's your favorite bowel movement

candy
05-24-2005, 09:15 AM
All radio is the same old repeated format no matter what type of station it is. It has ruined so many good songs for me that I just can't listen to radio anymore. :(

Jamocha Joe
05-25-2005, 10:29 AM
All Right Now - Free

Dream On - Aerosmith

Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett

And of course....Proud to be an American - Lee Greenwood
Every Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, 4th of July, etc. Someone please make it stop!

DrMaddVibe
05-25-2005, 10:41 AM
I cannot fucking stand Steely Dan, and dont know of anyone who likes them

I do!

Every album is awesome.

I think they do play the crap out of the same songs so most people think that's all there is.

Same can be said for the Stones! When's the last time you heard "Stray Cat Blues", "Miss Amanda Jones", or "Ventilator Blues"? Almost NEVER!

Redballjets88
05-25-2005, 10:47 AM
AC/DC > Highway To Hell, Back In Black, You Shook Me All Night Long

this is the reason i quit liking AC/DC i cant go anywhere or watch any movie without hearing them and now my little sister and all her friends like them and i'm like fuck that they suck....same thing with areosmith i can only take so much janie's got a gun and walk this way

Redballjets88
05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Dream On - Aerosmith

exactly