PDA

View Full Version : An amazing story I did a month ago

vanzilla
05-23-2005, 09:34 PM
About a month ago, I did a story on a lady named Gianna Jessen. She was training for her first marathon. What's the big deal about this? She has Cerebal Palsy. This time last year, Gianna struggled to walk, and wasn't physically able to run at all.

Now, ordinarilly - that would make for an incredible story in and of itself...but when you find out why she had Cerebal Palsy - it makes it even more amazing.

When Giana's 17 year old mother was 7 months pregnant, she decided to have a saline abortion. The procedure involves injecting saline into the womb to cut off the oxygen supply to the fetus. Gianna was expected to be delivered as a stillborn.

Miraculously, she survived. Doctors said she would be nothing more than a vegetable. Her adaptive grandmother nutured her and went through several hours of physical therapy, to the point where she was able to function normally.

I met Gianna in late March and she changed my life. Whenever I think the chips are stacked against me, I think of what she had to overcome and her positive outlook on life.

I documented the final month of her training and was with her the day of the marathon. She was the last to cross the finish line - running the entire 26.8 miles in 8 hours and 5 minutes.

It was the first time I ever shot through tears on a story.

I've put a link to the story the Tennessean did on Giana (a month after the marathon - way to go print media!) If anyone knows of a way I could post the story we aired on my show please pm me.

Regardless of your religious background (FTR - I'm agnostic) or politics regarding abortion (FTR - I'm pro-choice), this is a story that has touched nearly everyone who's heard it.

Here's the link. Please take the time to read it. You won't be sorry.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050520/COUNTY090101/505200364/1356

Hardrock69
05-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Right on dude. Sometimes WE think WE have it tough.

I saw the Tennesseean article when it came out.

She got some serious mojo!!!

:cool:

BenJammin
05-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Geez, now I feel bad for complaining about stupid stuff !

vanzilla
05-24-2005, 09:26 PM
She's a pretty amazing woman. This thread deserves more attention than it's getting. Maybe someone could start a flame war in here?

academic punk
05-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Van, you're a big stupid fag!

Big Fat Sammy
05-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by vanzilla

I documented the final month of her training and was with her the day of the marathon. She was the last to cross the finish line - running the entire 26.8 miles in 8 hours and 5 minutes.

Thats impressive even if she was disease free ;)

Northern Girl
05-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Very cool, Van. Inspiring story! Thanks for sharing. :)

Rikk
05-24-2005, 10:14 PM
It's good to know my Pen Admins have consciences...;)

But seriously, that's beautiful, bro. Very inspiring shit. Stories like this or the Sudan contribute to most people having the right to shut the fuck up when they feel a tinge of unhappiness.