PDA

View Full Version : The "I FRIGGIN' HATE PROG ROCK" thread

academic punk
05-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Nothing against Shaun, but I've always hated prog rock - bands like ELP, Yes, etc.

Am I alone here? I know the musicians were all very talented and all that, but really, I'd sooner listen to Neil Diamond or disco.

One thing that I liked most about Dave and CLASSIC VH was that they had ABSOLUTELY NO LEANINGS TOWARDS THAT GOD-AWFUL SHIT AT ALL.

What are your thoughts, Hobson?

DrMaddVibe
05-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Pink Floyd,Rush, ELP, Dream Theatre????

I think you're alone.

FasterPussycat
05-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey, chill A/P;)...prog rock rocks, that's all... :p

academic punk
05-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

I think you're alone.

Maybe so, but, yeah, I have no time for ANY of those bands.

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Nothing against Shaun, but I've always hated prog rock - bands like ELP, Yes, etc.

Am I alone here? I know the musicians were all very talented and all that, but really, I'd sooner listen to Neil Diamond or disco.

One thing that I liked most about Dave and CLASSIC VH was that they had ABSOLUTELY NO LEANINGS TOWARDS THAT GOD-AWFUL SHIT AT ALL.

As much as I like prog rock, I always like listening to classic rock bands such as Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen and Judas Priest.

I like many sorts of music, I'm not stuck with just one.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Never thought I'd agree with Fasterpussycat, but I'm gonna have to.

This thread ain't fair...also a bit of a stupid thing to do, starting threads about something you don't like. This is more something for The Dump. This is something a sheep would do.

I can't stand punk, you see prog was the big thing before punk came along, and had been for a good few years. Then along came punk, and people thought it was a big revolution. "Its going to be huge and last forever," the people thought (thats not the reason I hate it, I've just always thought that it was more about fashion and making a statement than about music). But, how long did it last? A year? 18 months? Then, the original prog bands did their best business AFTER punk, which was supposed to have made them extinct. EG- Yes released '90125', Pink Floyd released 'The Wall' (lets face it-they'll ALWAYS be popular), Genesis became a pop band, 'Rush' did 'Permanent Waves and 'Moving Pictures', which were huge albums.

Now, overseas, in Europe etc, prog is huge. I think if prog was given the right promotion, it would be huge here. The Australian Pink Floyd are doing an arena tour this year, playing places that some PROPER bands can't even fill, The Musical Box (from Canada) are a Genesis tribute band, who this year are playing 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' in venues much larger than The Damned are playing this year. Last year, Rush's UK tour had to be extended (in fact, I think it was doubled) because it sold out so fast. Yes are still playing arenas, they headlined Glastunberry (still can't spell that) a couple of years ago, and also a big castle in cornwall. Whats Johnny Rotten doing these days? Hosting TV shows?

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Now, overseas, in Europe etc, prog is huge.

The Italians have their own style of prog. Italian Prog. The compositions are written in the Italian style.

academic punk
05-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Shaun, I started this here, so I wouldn't piss on/tarnish/ruin your thread.

So it wasn't so "stupid" as "considerate".

Far as I'm concerned, you wanna talk about prog so much, then go to an appropriate site for it. And now, thanks to your word choice towards me, I'll feel free to post in your precious prog thread...

Mr Badguy
05-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Prog rock is another label.

It doesn`t really mean anything.

It`s like saying Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are Heavy Metal when they are very different.

If you like a song, you like it.

It doesn`t matter what IT is.

academic punk
05-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Whats Johnny Rotten doing these days? Hosting TV shows?

Who gives a shit, Ponserboy? At that rate, what's Dave doing these days?

This music - punk, Big rock, even disco - was all about being in then moment- it had EMOTIONAL IMPACT. Prog is just a bunch of clueless fucks waddling around on stage wondering why with so much talent they have nothing at all to say.

So they just go widdle-widdle-widdle and impress idiot 16 year olds. sheesh.

Soul Reaper
05-24-2005, 01:51 PM
I can't stand punk, you see prog was the big thing before punk came along, and had been for a good few years. Then along came punk, and people thought it was a big revolution. "Its going to be huge and last forever," the people thought (thats not the reason I hate it, I've just always thought that it was more about fashion and making a statement than about music). But, how long did it last? A year? 18 months? Then, the original prog bands did their best business AFTER punk, which was supposed to have made them extinct. EG- Yes released '90125', Pink Floyd released 'The Wall' (lets face it-they'll ALWAYS be popular), Genesis became a pop band, 'Rush' did 'Permanent Waves and 'Moving Pictures', which were huge albums.

Actually, I like punk. I love The Clash and Sex Pistols. But I hate the so-called punk around today. I like it's simplicity, but it still has the ability to rock! That DOES NOT mean I hate prog rock! I love prog rock!

diamondsgirl
05-24-2005, 02:05 PM
I love Floyd, but have no use for those other bands you named.

Never liked Yes or ELP at all

Shaun Ponsonby
05-24-2005, 02:29 PM
I didn't mean it like that, AP. Perhaps I should have chosen my words better. I often choose bad words to describe things. In fact, its got me into trouble here a few times.

The point I was supposed to make was that it wasn't really fair to just say "Thats shit", and not at least give constructive criticsm. You can't deny the skill that prog bands have. Most prog musicians are clasically trained. John Peel, the very overrated DJ who alledgedlly pioneered the british music scene, or some shit like that I read. He just said "no, its shit," not even aknoledging the talent they had. The reason I think the thread is stupid is because its just a peronal opinion (which isn't relly shared by many so far), its not even constructive, which is why it belongs in the dump.

In answer to your other questions/comments

Dave is still touring, playing to sold out audiences.
All the prog musicians I have seen interviewed have been VERY intelligent.
This is an appropriate board for prog talk because it is called 'The House Of Music'
Feel free to post in my prog thred, you are entitled to your opinion and every right to express it.

If you start a thread, you should be prepared to get a counterargument.

At the end of the day, its all down to personal opinion. What I think doesn't mean anything to anyone but me, what you think doesn't mean anything to anyone but you.

academic punk
05-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Fair enough.

But, no, like we've both said, I have nothing to ADD to a discussion on prog rock, so let your venue be what it is, and this thread be, you know, its evil twin.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Deal.

Would you like a cat?

academic punk
05-24-2005, 03:14 PM
uh...is this one of those "do you like apples?" sort of deals?

rustoffa
05-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Did I mention seeing Steve Walsh @ the Dekalb County farmers market?

Is this prog?

Seshmeister
05-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

I think you're alone.

I don't think Rush or Dream Theatre are Prog Rock by my definition.

For a start I like Rush...:)

I hate all middle of the road music like Yes, Loverboy, any band that is the name of an American city, Van Hagar etc. etc.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Full Bug
05-24-2005, 11:23 PM
Liaten to 2112 by Rush and tell me thats prog rock....

Seshmeister
05-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Never mind their later stuff.

To me prog rock is lots of keyboards and blandness. MOR AOR whatever the label I stick them in the same category. Inoffensive Rock might be a better label. Prog Rock to me includes Brian Adams. It's that bland radio shit like Starship or Journey or Heart.

Rush maybe had some prog rock moments over the years but their rhythm section and originality means to me they are not.

I haven't heard that much Dream Theatre but from what I've have heard, although they do have elements of it, the extreme guitar playing saves them.

I guess I detest bland music. Compare 'Dreams' to 'I'm the One'.

Which is more likely to be used as background music on a Karaoke machine before someone makes a choice with a cheesy surfer video?

Prog Rock is the kind of stuff you might hear piped into an elevator in a hotel.

Unfortunately I've never heard Rush in an elevator...

Cheers!

The Scatologist
05-24-2005, 11:55 PM
I didn't mean it like that, AP. Perhaps I should have chosen my words better. I often choose bad words to describe things. In fact, its got me into trouble here a few times.

The point I was supposed to make was that it wasn't really fair to just say "Thats shit", and not at least give constructive criticsm. You can't deny the skill that prog bands have. Most prog musicians are clasically trained. John Peel, the very overrated DJ who alledgedlly pioneered the british music scene, or some shit like that I read. He just said "no, its shit," not even aknoledging the talent they had. The reason I think the thread is stupid is because its just a peronal opinion (which isn't relly shared by many so far), its not even constructive, which is why it belongs in the dump.

In answer to your other questions/comments

Dave is still touring, playing to sold out audiences.
All the prog musicians I have seen interviewed have been VERY intelligent.
This is an appropriate board for prog talk because it is called 'The House Of Music'
Feel free to post in my prog thred, you are entitled to your opinion and every right to express it.

If you start a thread, you should be prepared to get a counterargument.

At the end of the day, its all down to personal opinion. What I think doesn't mean anything to anyone but me, what you think doesn't mean anything to anyone but you.

Well i've been classically trained since 3 and I still hate Dream Theater:D

Gimme VH any day!

Seshmeister
05-25-2005, 12:06 AM
What's ballet dancing got to do with Dream Theatre...?:)

DrMaddVibe
05-25-2005, 06:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

Shaun Ponsonby
05-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
Well i've been classically trained since 3 and I still hate Dream Theater:D

Gimme VH any day!

I didn't say all classically trained musicians like prog or play prog, I said most prog musicians have been classically trained.

Big Fat Sammy
05-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
I love Floyd, but have no use for those other bands you named.

Never liked Yes or ELP at all

Same here...I don't consider Floyd as Prog. Gilmore plays nothing but blues licks....so it has some soul.

Soul Reaper
05-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Never mind their later stuff.

To me prog rock is lots of keyboards and blandness. MOR AOR whatever the label I stick them in the same category. Inoffensive Rock might be a better label. Prog Rock to me includes Brian Adams. It's that bland radio shit like Starship or Journey or Heart.

Rush maybe had some prog rock moments over the years but their rhythm section and originality means to me they are not.

I haven't heard that much Dream Theatre but from what I've have heard, although they do have elements of it, the extreme guitar playing saves them.

I guess I detest bland music. Compare 'Dreams' to 'I'm the One'.

Which is more likely to be used as background music on a Karaoke machine before someone makes a choice with a cheesy surfer video?

Prog Rock is the kind of stuff you might hear piped into an elevator in a hotel.

Unfortunately I've never heard Rush in an elevator...

Cheers!

I don't find prog rock bland. I find it interesting and the musicianship seems deeper than most genres. That's just my opinion, though.

UGS
05-25-2005, 10:19 PM
I didn't say all classically trained musicians like prog or play prog, I said most prog musicians have been classically trained.

Don't mind him Shaun, he's a moron.

tydhurst
05-25-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm not too keen on Prog rock either. I have a friend who's a big Floyd fan but he couldn;t convert me.

But i don;t start a thread whining about it!

The Scatologist
05-26-2005, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by UGS
Don't mind him Shaun, he's a moron.

Moron? You didn't even know what a fucking vibrato was, and yet you still think your definition is right.

I've know what a fucking vibrato is cause i've been doing it since I was 3 you idiot.

FasterPussycat
05-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
Same here...I don't consider Floyd as Prog. Gilmore plays nothing but blues licks....so it has some soul.

BFS...you are kidding, right?

Pink Floyd is arguably the father of prog rock!

academic punk
05-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Some colorful responses here.

Next we can do a thread how George Harrison didn't do anything of value after the Dark Horse album!

Soul Reaper
05-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by FasterPussycat
BFS...you are kidding, right?

Pink Floyd is arguably the father of prog rock!

No, King Crimson are ARGUABLY the fathers of prog rock.

King Crimson were before Pink FLoyd (i'm sure of it)

Redballjets88
05-26-2005, 02:45 PM
king crimson = good stuff

FasterPussycat
05-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
No, King Crimson are ARGUABLY the fathers of prog rock.

King Crimson were before Pink FLoyd (i'm sure of it)

A key word, ARGUABLY! But PF made it big imo. :D

UGS
05-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I've know what a fucking vibrato is cause i've been doing it since I was 3 you idiot.

Ok there tough guy, you know all that is guitar :rolleyes: Who are you trying to prove this to? No one cares, and you're a joke. Loser.

Soul Reaper
05-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by FasterPussycat
A key word, ARGUABLY! But PF made it big imo. :D

Well...I don't know who's the father ofprog rock, I think it was King Crimson. They were around before Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd did make it big, so you're right.

The Scatologist
05-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by UGS
Ok there tough guy, you know all that is guitar :rolleyes: Who are you trying to prove this to? No one cares, and you're a joke. Loser.

Then stop trying to disprove me moron. You were the fucking one that thought you knew everything, and I just owned you, so stfu.

tydhurst
05-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Some colorful responses here.

Next we can do a thread how George Harrison didn't do anything of value after the Dark Horse album!

We all of course know that's not true. RIGHT?

UGS
05-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Then stop trying to disprove me moron. You were the fucking one that thought you knew everything, and I just owned you, so stfu.

Go cry to your violin teacher then, you little bitch.