PDA

View Full Version : Diebold is at it again - on Super Tuesday!

FORD
03-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Some voters turned away from polls

SIGNONSANDIEGO

11:15 a.m. March 2, 2004

SAN DIEGO – An unknown number of voters were turned away from San Diego County polls this morning as poll workers ran into problems starting up elements of a new electronic voting system.

Poll workers at many polling places were stumped when they turned on electronic card readers and were faced with an unfamiliar start-up screen, officials with the San Diego County Registrar of Voters said.

That kept those polling places from preparing access cards for voters to use to mark their ballots at the voting machines while workers called the registrar's hotline for instructions.

The problem did not affect the voting process itself and will not affect vote totals, Registar Sally McPherson told reporters.

It was not clear how widespread the problem was, but many voters who went to polling places between 7 and 8 a.m. said they were told to either come back later or to vote at another polling place.

The registrar's office did not know how many precincts were affected and had yet to decide whether the problems were significant enough to extend tonight's 8 p.m. voting deadline.

The machines were to be used in 1,611 polling places throughout the county.

Voters experiencing problems can call the Registrar of Voters hotline at (858) 565-5800.

Voters also can cast their votes on paper ballots at the registrar's office, located at 5201 Ruffin Road in San Diego.

FORD
03-02-2004, 02:45 PM
http://www.760kfmb.com/topstory.php?storyID=22861

PROBLEMS REPORTED WITH NEW VOTING MACHINES

( 03-02-2004 ) - Reports of problems with the new touch-screen voting machines began flooding the Registrar of Voter's office Tuesday within an hour of the polls opening, officials said.

Voters experienced problems with the cards used in the voting process, said Monique Roberts, an employee at the Registrar's office in Kearny Mesa.

When the card was inserted, a different screen popped up on the computer than the one voters should have been using, Roberts said.

Problems were reported in El Cajon, Scripps Ranch, Del Mar, Golden Hill and other communities throughout the county, where about 10,000 touch screen machines were being used for the first time Tuesday, county officials said.

Voters who called the registrar's hotline for help were given guidance on how to get to the correct screen, Roberts said.

In addition, employees from the registrar's office were being dispatched to polling places throughout the county to check on the problems and help walk voters through the process.

"I hope the voters will be patient with our workers," Registrar Sally McPherson told KUSI. "The computers themselves are not down. This is a new process, but it will be fixed soon."

Voters experiencing problems can call the Registrar of Voters hotline at (858) 565-5800 or vote at the registrar's office, located at 5201 Ruffin Road, Suite I in San Diego. Polls are open until 8 p.m.

FORD
03-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Anyone voting today in Super Tuesday states, keep an eye out for anything suspicious. This is BULLSHIT!!

Cathedral
03-02-2004, 02:55 PM
I voted, but not in the primary.
Just the local issues for us Republicans, and then i went and picked up my new gun, lol.....This thing is sweet. It lists for $389 and i got it for $199...

You know they won't even let Independants vote in the primary in Ohio? strictly registered Democrats only...

No bullshit here, everything seems to be running smoothly from what i saw. lines weren't crazy long and they moved rather quickly.

FORD
03-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I voted, but not in the primary.
Just the local issues for us Republicans, and then i went and picked up my new gun, lol.....This thing is sweet. It lists for $389 and i got it for $199...

You know they won't even let Independants vote in the primary in Ohio? strictly registered Democrats only...

No bullshit here, everything seems to be running smoothly from what i saw. lines weren't crazy long and they moved rather quickly.

Is there a deadline to register before an election? It's 60 days here, I believe. But a lot of states have same-day registration, which enables a voter to "cross party lines" and then switch back to their real party in time for the next election.

Not that you couldn't do that with a deadline, but that would require planning ahead, and couldn't be a kneejerk response to a talk radio show host or other such influence.

Cathedral
03-02-2004, 03:27 PM
It takes 30 days to register here. You fill out the form and then they mail you everything to sign and send back to them which took in total about a whole month.

There is no same day registration that i am aware of.

Cathedral
03-02-2004, 03:33 PM
I misunderstood your question. I am unaware of the deadline cause i always register as early as possible. I would imagine it would be at least 60 days to do all the mailing back and forth.

BigBadBrian
03-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Anyone voting today in Super Tuesday states, keep an eye out for anything suspicious. This is BULLSHIT!!

Yeah. Go Dean, Go. :cato: :hula:

BigBadBrian
03-02-2004, 03:58 PM

SAN DIEGO – An unknown number of voters were turned away from San Diego County polls this morning as poll workers ran into problems starting up elements of a new electronic voting system.

This morning? Looks like they didn't know what in the hell they were doing. There should've been dry runs to work out the bugs. You don't build a race car on raceday. :gulp:

Ally_Kat
03-02-2004, 04:01 PM
*raises eyebrow* When voting machines go down, there are emergency ballots. Why am I not hearing about those? I find it hard to believe that they don't have emergency ballots over in San Diego, esp with a computerized system.

And nothing fishy here. Very proud of my pollworkers :D

knuckleboner
03-02-2004, 04:24 PM
probably because it's not the only machines they have there, ally.

we had some problems with machines going down (we used WINVote touchscreen machines) in the november 2003 election. but they were 10 machines out of the several hundred we've got.

so if 1 machine or 2 machines in a precinct went bad, we had other machines there. the lines just got a little longer for them.

Cathedral
03-02-2004, 05:22 PM
I used a punch card and prefer it to any other way of voting. If people would just turn the damn thing over and pull off those hanging chads before turning it in there wouldn't be any trouble.

It seems to me the problem is carelessness more than anything else.

I dunno, it just seems to me that common sense is not so common anymore, lol.

FORD
03-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
This morning? Looks like they didn't know what in the hell they were doing. There should've been dry runs to work out the bugs. You don't build a race car on raceday. :gulp:

But you goddamn better make sure the engine, transmission, and wheels work, before you put it on the track, right? ;)

Cathedral
03-02-2004, 08:48 PM
But you goddamn better make sure the engine, transmission, and wheels work, before you put it on the track, right? ;)

LOL, you're a funny dude...

Someone out there dropped the ball bigtime...

Ally_Kat
03-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
probably because it's not the only machines they have there, ally.

we had some problems with machines going down (we used WINVote touchscreen machines) in the november 2003 election. but they were 10 machines out of the several hundred we've got.

so if 1 machine or 2 machines in a precinct went bad, we had other machines there. the lines just got a little longer for them.

Well, I suspected that, but I was referring to the fact that they said people were turned away in the morning cuz they couldn't start up. We don't have computerized voting here, so I'm not all keen on it. When one of our machines go down, they can't vote on any other and we go to the emergency ballots for the ED/AD that's having the problem.

And maybe it's just me, but wouldn't you have a backup plan in case this happened with the computers,?

ELVIS
03-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Blame it on the BCE...:rolleyes:

FORD
03-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Blame it on the BCE...:rolleyes:

Diebold is a Republican owned, BCE contributing corporation that makes no attempt to cover up their political agenda. Their CEO promised he would personally deliver Ohio's electoral votes to Junior. (hear that, Cat? You can stay home on election day. Wally O'Dell has it covered)

Cathedral
03-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Actually, I am considering that very thing. Not like my one little measly morsal of a vote will make one bit of difference anyway.

ELVIS
03-03-2004, 01:49 AM
Diebold (http://www.diebold.com/aboutus/default.htm)

Diebold is a services company providing integrated technology solutions that enable our customers to maximize their self-service capabilities.

Diebold, Incorporated is a global leader in providing integrated self-service delivery systems and services. Founded in 1859, the company employs more than 13,000 associates with representation in more than 88 countries worldwide and headquarters in Canton, Ohio, USA. Diebold reported revenue of US$2.11 billion in 2003 and is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol 'DBD.'

Services and Markets

Market Position
Diebold's primary customers include banks and financial institutions, as well as hospitals, colleges and universities, public libraries, government agencies, utilities and various retail outlets.

Diebold's service staff is one of the financial industry's largest, with more than 4,500 professionals in 600 locations worldwide.

Diebold Product Groups

Self-Service Products
Diebold offers an integrated line of self-service banking products and ATMs. Diebold is a leading global supplier of ATMs, and holds the leading market position in many countries around the world.

Physical Security and Facility Products
Diebold's Physical Security and Facility Products division designs and manufactures several of the company's financial service solutions offerings, including the RemoteTeller System™ (RTS). The business unit also develops vaults, safe deposit boxes and safes, drive-up banking equipment and a host of other facilities products.

Voting Solutions
Diebold, through our wholly owned subsidiaries Diebold Election Systems and Diebold Procomp, is one of largest electronic voting system providers in the world. We've enjoyed years of success in the United States, Canada and Brazil. Our qualifications are unmatched.

Integrated Security Solutions
Diebold Integrated Security Solutions provide global sales, service, installation, project management and monitoring of original equipment manufacturer (OEM) electronic security products to financial, retail and commercial customers. These solutions provide Diebold customers a single-source solution to their electronic security needs.

Campus Card Systems
Diebold multi-application campus ID system is a single card system that allows students to use their identification cards for a variety of activities, including purchases at the bookstore, cafeteria, etc.; vending, such as laundry and snack/beverage machines; and access to facilities, which could include dormitories, laboratories and admittance to sporting events. The system has also been installed in corporate campus environments, public libraries and sports stadiums.

Software Solutions and Services
Diebold offers software solutions consisting of multiple applications that process events and transactions. These solutions are delivered on the appropriate platform allowing Diebold to meet customer requirements while adding new functionality in a cost-effective manner.

Diebold also provides professional services to assist in the implementation of software solutions. These services include communication network review, systems integration, custom software and project management that encompass all facets of a successful implementation.
For more information about our markets and services, visit the Products & Services section of o

The Vision
We won't rest until we measurably improve the extent to which our customers' customers are delighted with our self-service and security solutions; and we measurably improve the effectiveness and profitability of our customers' business.

"We Won't Rest"
Taken separately, they're three simple words. Joined together, however, they create one powerful message. "We won't rest" is Diebold's corporate position. More than that, it's a promise -- to every person and every business throughout the world.

A Part of Every Diebold Associate
We spoke at length with associates and customers in many countries around the world. It was through these interviews that "We won't rest" was determined to be Diebold's most-consistent and most-important corporate attribute. Our associates and customers agree: "Diebold associates never rest until the job is done. And done right!"

Guiding the Messaging
Every Diebold ad is carefully crafted to communicate that we are people-oriented, not product-oriented. That we are a partner, not a seller. We are communicating how well our products and services enhance people's lives and businesses. This reflects our commitment to solving each customer's individual needs. Above all, the ads convey our "We won't rest" vision, communicating our brand promise to all of our stakeholders.

This is Diebold's brand promise, answering the question, "Why Diebold?" This is the promise that we make to ourselves regarding the commitments we make to our customers. And it tells the customer what they can expect having Diebold as a true business partner.

Diebold TAG board of directors:

President
Charles L. Pennewill, Jr.
Liberty Bank
P.O. Box 2700
315 Main Street
Middletown, CT 06457
Business#: (860) 344-7244
Fax#: (860) 346-4132
Email: pchuck@liberty-bank.com Vice President
Rhonda Dickinson
Educational Employees Credit Union