PDA

View Full Version : US zaps website with illegal 'Star Wars' film copies

Warham
05-25-2005, 06:12 PM
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The empire struck back against Internet pirates, as US authorities shut down a website that had been distributing illicit copies of the new "Star Wars" film even before it hit movie theaters.

Federal agents seized computers and other equipment from a a file-sharing network known as Elite Torrents, which according to officials had some 133,000 members and had been responsible for some 2.1 million downloads, the Justice Department said.

Persons seeking to access the site elitetorrents.org found a message saying, "This site has been permanently shut down by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and US Immigration and Customs Enforcement."

Justice Department spokesman Bryan Sierra said the site had been distributing pirated copies of "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith," which was released last week, as well as other movies and software.

Sierra said there were no arrests or criminal charges filed, but that "this is an ongoing investigation."

He said computers and other equipment were seized in 10 different US locations.

The Justice Department said the site posted the film more than six hours before it was shown in theaters and was downloaded at least 10,000 times.

According to the Motion Picture Association of America, the site was among the first networks to post an illegal copy of before the Star Wars movie before it opened in theaters last Thursday.

"Today's actions are bad news for Internet movie thieves and good news for preserving the magic of the movies," said MPAA president Dan Glickman.

"Shutting down illegal file swapping networks like Elite Torrents is an essential part of our fight to stop movie thieves from stealing copyrighted materials."

The site was using a technology called BitTorrent, which enables users to quickly download large files such as films, by taking "bits" simultaneously from various computer users and reassembling them.

"Our goal is to shut down as much of this illegal operation as quickly as possible to stem the serious financial damage to the victims of this high-tech piracy -- the people who labor to produce these copyrighted products," said Acting Assistant Attorney General John Richter.

"Today's crackdown sends a clear and unmistakable message to anyone involved in the online theft of copyrighted works that they cannot hide behind new technology."

According to MPAA, Elite Torrents received 8.5 million hits a day and was frequented by over 100,000 users daily.

The Hollywood association said the site posted several thousand movie titles including "House of Wax," "Kingdom of Heaven," "Unleashed," "Monster-in-Law," and "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" as well as television shows including the full seasons of "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost."

The MPAA estimates that the film industry lost approximately 3.5 billion dollars to movie piracy in 2004, a total that does not include losses due to illegal file sharing online. According to a Smith Barney study, that number is expected to jump to 5.4 billion dollars in 2005.

FasterPussycat
05-25-2005, 08:02 PM
bump!

Warham
05-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Are you looking for attention tonight?

FORD
05-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Fuck the MPAA/RIAA Nazis

Hardrock69
05-26-2005, 12:07 AM
I agree.

They constantly whine about how they lost so many billion dollars due to downloading.

BULLSHIT!!!!

90% of the crap that gets downloaded is stuff people would never buy anyway!!! Therefore it was never a fucking sale to begin with!

WACF
05-26-2005, 01:27 AM
Thought I read somewhere that it was just a joke...

MAX
05-26-2005, 02:22 AM
Well, I already got my copy so I don't worry about yours. lol.

FORD
05-26-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by WACF
Thought I read somewhere that it was just a joke...

No, the Star Wars movie was definitely on the Net. That much is true. But it's got an annoying time code across the length of the entire thing, and it's hardly anything resembling the quality of a commerical DVD release. In other words, 20th Century Fox and George Lucas ain't gonna lose one goddamned dime from either box office receipts or the eventual commercial DVD sales because this thing was leaked online.

These are the same fascists who want royalties from goddamn jukeboxes. The same people who tried to ban fucking cassette tapes in the 80's, kept the prices of VCR's and video tapes artificially high for years, and pretty much killed DAT recording before it ever got off the ground.

Even CD-Rom's were held up and price-gouged for years because of these greedy Nazi fucks.

If I see or hear something I like, I buy it. If there's nothing out there I want to buy, then it ain't my fault that the corporations release CRAP like Titney Spears. Or Van Hagar. Or for that matter, Star Wars I and II.

Which I bought anyway, come to think of it.

twonabomber
05-26-2005, 09:09 AM
i may have a copy soon.

Vinnie Velvet
05-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Warham, that Yoda gif from Revenge of the Sith is fucking cool!

What a neat move he did there. One of my favorite scenes in Episode III.

WACF
05-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Ford, you are right.

I took a look...found the copy you referred too.

I would compare it to a wore out VHS tape video quality...after some time you do not even see the bar code, funny how you block it out.

I can not see this hurting Lucas...I will still see it in the theater and still pick up the DVD when it comes out.

Vinnie Velvet
05-26-2005, 11:24 AM
So far, it hasn't hurt the box office returns for Sith.

It should break 200 million counting today's take.

Warham
05-26-2005, 01:04 PM
It should be damn close anyway.

I predict a $60-70 million dollar take from Fri-Sun. Monday, probably another $15-20 million.

WACF
05-26-2005, 01:31 PM
No doubt...lots of people are waiting for the rush to slow down.