PDA

View Full Version : Mean Mr. Dean

BigBadBrian
05-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Mean Mr. Dean
Bill Murchison

May 24, 2005

Everybody knows -- people, polar bears, inanimate objects, Paris Hilton -- that relations between Republicans and Democrats are at some kind of modern low. That partly explains the fuss over judicial nominations in the Senate. But how to explain Howard Dean, who on "Meet the Press," given a chance to backpedal and profess his inner sweetness, declared that, so far as he was concerned, Tom DeLay sure was going to jail, and he, Howard Dean, would keep cheering on the pursuers?

Dean, the Democratic national chairman, had popped off in patented fashion days earlier. Of DeLay, the House Republican leader, Dean opined, "I think [he] ought to go back to Houston, where he can serve his jail sentence." A jail sentence that hasn't been imposed for a conviction that hasn't been obtained, stemming from an indictment that hasn't been handed up following investigations that haven't been completed. Liberal Democratic Congressman Barney Frank of Massachusetts chided the chairman for "inappropriate" remarks lacking factual basis.

Never mind all that. Not only did Dean, on "Meet the Press," resume his public thrashing of DeLay, he also reminded viewers that "I hate what the Republicans are doing to this country. I really do." He went on to clobber President Bush and Rush Limbaugh.

So what's going on? A variety of things, none very encouraging except to those who relish the video-game style in politics: crash 'em, smash 'em, blow 'em up.

One thing going on is deepening Democratic rage. The Democrats feel a sense of entitlement. The Republicans (as they see it) are space aliens. How come American voters can't see it, too? I felt similarly helpless rage the other day owing to a computer -- what shall I say? -- malfunction. &*$@*$@* it! Why wouldn't the thing work right? It should, but it wouldn't. There was nothing for it but rage -- until I thought of a bottle of chardonnay in the icebox, an expedient I earnestly commend to the Democratic national chairman.

DeLay's spokesman elaborates, from his own side, a related Democatic anxiety -- that of being: "a party with no ideas, no solutions and no agenda." On this showing, the Rage of Howard merely "shows the sad state the Democrats have sunk to."

Fair enough, given that the Democrats, while torching the Republicans on Social Security, have smugly resisted offering any reform scheme of their own. But we can't stop there.

At the heart of this thing (one is entitled to surmise) is too much government. Too-muchness rarely works in anything and certainly not in government, which has to make decisions pleasing to an immense number and variety of people. One reason we can't (thus far) do anything about Social Security is that past Congresses have heaped up this mountain of promises and debts. Everybody is affected. No remedial strategy can please all.

The same principle operates with regard to taxes, which are too high and too low at the same time, and with public education, which is either just fine or just awful. Government energy policy will either ruin the economy or destroy the planet. Etc., ad infin. We've got so much government policy, in short, that we'll rarely agree on solutions. Since government has taken on almost every conceivable problem, expectations for its success are limitless, as are political ambitions for getting the credit and the kudos.

Any going back? Any likelihood for the downsizing of government power, thus of voter expectations, and consequently of animosity among those who govern?

Anything's possible, some things more so than others. Among the least likely: 1) a bipartisan truce requiring Dean to stop trying to throw DeLay in jail and 2) a spirit of reconciliation as to judicial nominations, which, even more than Dean's mouth, symbolize what's amiss. If our politicians hadn't made outsized grants of power to federal judges, asking them to sort out questions like school prayer, education and, especially, human life, people could figure out these questions for themselves -- people outside the no-prisoners ambit of Dean. Meaning -- just possibly -- the vast bulk of us.

academic punk
05-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Bri -

What is with this Howard Dean obsession? Are you queer for him???

DLR'sCock
05-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Bri -

One might think he is queer for many...

ELVIS
05-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Hahahaha...:D

:elvis:

BigBadBrian
05-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Bri -

He's a newsmaker....case ya ain't noticed.....

BigBadBrian
05-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
One might think he is queer for many...

Quite hysterical coming from one named after another man's penis. :rolleyes:

academic punk
05-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Hahahaha...:D

:elvis:

ELVIS!

How have you been? Ain't conversed or butted heads with ya in forever!

LoungeMachine
05-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Just pushing FORD's buttons.

Want to really piss him off?

Don't post in any of his " Love Letters To Howie Threads "

Poor Brie

Warham
05-25-2005, 08:43 PM
You liberals are just mad that an out of control loon is running your party.

Fear not another loss in '08.

LoungeMachine
05-25-2005, 08:47 PM
ELVIS!

How have you been? Ain't conversed or butted heads with ya in forever!

He's been observing his TRO :D

They've finally let him outta the church basement:cool:

Hey, E.

I just flushed the New Testament down the old comode

watcha think?:cool:

BigBadBrian
05-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Warham

Exactly.

:)

BigBadBrian
05-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

I just flushed the New Testament down the old comode

watcha think?:cool:

You're stuck with your finger! Ewwwww........ :eek:

LoungeMachine
05-25-2005, 08:52 PM

For starters Hambone.......

yes, Brain Wilson IS God:cool:

Second, we "Liberals" arent pissed about Howie:rolleyes:

and Third............

We ARE pissed about how FUCKED UP YOUR PARTY is, and what they are doing to this great country:(

so, anywhooo.......how are ya bud?

Warham
05-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Oh, I'm doing just fine LM. :D

I just like ragging on FORD in these threads.

At least we can all agree on Wilson. Ha!

LoungeMachine
05-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
You're stuck with your finger! Ewwwww........ :eek:

Usually Brie you're a riot......

but.....

WTF:confused:

Me no get joke, mkay:cool:

academic punk
05-25-2005, 08:56 PM

Warham -

I can assure you that you and Bri have already lost the 08 elections. 'Cause even if a Republican wins, it'll be a far more moderate one - the front runners are currently Giulliani, McCain, even Pataki: all of whom are far less evangelical than W.

Heck, I might even vote for Cheney should he theoretically run (which he has strenuously vowed he wouldn't or won't). You might remember him: he's the one sitting in the VP chair, and has a lesbian daughter.

LoungeMachine
05-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Oh, I'm doing just fine LM. :D

I just like ragging on FORD in these threads.

At least we can all agree on Wilson. Ha!

Glad to hear;)

FORD's a big boy.

He can take it...:cool:

FORD
05-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Another Dupe thread. And I'll keep closing 'em