PDA

View Full Version : Rice to join Broncos as backup

Bob_R
05-26-2005, 11:38 AM
The Greatest Of All Time wants to finish his career as a backup with the Denver Broncos.

Jerry Rice, the NFL's career leading receiver, signed a one-year deal Wednesday with the Broncos, where he'll compete for a spot as a reserve.

Thus ends the 42-year-old's search for a place to play his 21st season and add to his totals of 1,549 catches for 22,895 yards and 197 touchdowns, all league records.

"To be a 42-year old and be able to do what I am doing is amazing," Rice said on the NFL Network. "There's going to be some negativity. That's OK. It's about the love of the game."

Earlier in the offseason, his agent, Jim Steiner, sent out a league-wide e-mail notifying teams that the "GOAT" — Greatest Of All Time — was available.

To some, the pitch may have seemed a bit beneath a player of Rice's caliber. To the receiver, though, it made sense.

"What motivates him is, he loves the game, loves being around the guys. He has a passion for playing football, it's what he does and it's who he is," Steiner said. "The more people say he shouldn't do it, that becomes a personal challenge."

Steiner said Rice told him this will be his last season and that the he wants to go out at a place where he can win and feel comfortable. That's why the Broncos make sense. Denver coach Mike Shanahan was San Francisco's offensive coordinator from 1992-94.

"It's going to be great to be a part of this unique group," Rice said. "Shanahan and I go way back."

Added Steiner: "This happens to be the right fit with the right coach. Mike is a coach who will manage him better than anyone else in the league. Mike views him better than anyone else would. It all just works."

Before Rice signed, he met with Shanahan and the two agreed that the receiver would have to compete for his spot — nothing would be handed to him.

Rod Smith, who wears Rice's No. 80, and Ashley Lelie are the expected starters. Darius Watts has a good track on the third position. Rice will compete for the remaining spots with unproven youngsters like Triandos Luke, Nate Jackson and Charlie Adams, among others.

"I told Jerry that I don't know if he's lost a step or two steps, but you're going to come here for one reason and that's to compete with the other guys," Shanahan said last week. "And if you're one of our top five guys at the end of camp, then you're going to be on our football team. If you're not, I said I'd have one of the toughest jobs in the world."

Shanahan was not available for comment Wednesday.

Rice's addition will make Broncos camp an even more interesting place to be this summer. They've already drafted Maurice Clarett and traded for troubled punter Todd Sauerbrun. Now comes the man widely regarded as the best receiver - maybe the best football player — to ever suit up.

"It will be fun to throw the ball to him," quarterback Jake Plummer said. "I'll be in the parenthesis for some records, if he's not breaking any more, but just to set some more and extend them."

"I definitely think you can never have enough leaders," linebacker Al Wilson was quoted as saying on the Broncos Web site. "Especially at the wide receiver position; with the young guys we have. With him and a guy like Rod Smith — I definitely think it would boost their confidence up and take them to the level at which we need them to play."

After being released by the 49ers in 2000, Rice signed with Oakland, where he was key to helping the Raiders make the Super Bowl in 2002.

But he grew upset with the playing time he received with the Raiders last season and was traded to Seattle in October. He finished with 30 catches for 429 yards (the lowest stats of his career except for when he was injured in 1997) and many thought that would be it.

Rice wasn't through, however. He had a chance to sign with Tampa Bay, but it wasn't the right fit. Shortly after Steiner sent the e-mail, the receiver met with the Broncos.

Rice isn't afraid or ashamed of having to come in and compete for a job despite his resume.

"It's not about that," he said. "It gives me an opportunity to watch younger guys and help these guys. I don't think it will hurt my status. My status is intact. I know everything is coming to an end. I just want to have fun."

Redballjets88
05-26-2005, 11:40 AM
he needs to quit already

magikmountn2
05-26-2005, 01:45 PM
good for him. play as long you can jerry. play as long as you can eddie. play as long as you can dave. all the same mentality to me. that is the mental makeup that makes our heroes great.

DLR7884
05-26-2005, 02:20 PM
I said it over in the Fantasy forum...I'll say it again.

He'll be lucky to catch 20 balls this year.

DLR7884
Very lucky.

Mezro
05-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
He'll be lucky to catch 20 balls this year.

DLR7884
Very lucky.

If you factor in his mouth and ass, I'd say Jerry will catch about 80 balls this season.

Mezro...G.O.A.T...Greasy Open Ass Target...

ALinChainz
05-26-2005, 03:37 PM
He should have retired, after SF, but at least after Oakland.

Jack68
05-26-2005, 06:26 PM
The greatest of all time for sure.The last 4 seasons or so a fucking joke.Sorry i can only hope someone asks for HIS retired # from the rafters one day when they are washed up.Fuck you Jerry and adios.If an nfl cornerback in their prime cant jam rice at age 42 or whatever at the line i would cut him.
To be a 42-year old and be able to do what I am doing is amazing," Rice said on the NFL Network. "There's going to be some negativity. That's OK. It's about the love of the game."
My ass just trying to pad his stats.

redblkwht
05-27-2005, 09:34 AM
The question is, can he be
in the top 5 for denvers reciving corps?
Lets see if he indeed makes
the team, thats the deal he
has with shannahan.

Redballjets88
05-27-2005, 09:58 AM
ge should just retire and so should farve and then they would have the best hall of fame ballot ever....smith rice farve

BigBadBrian
05-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
ge should just retire and so should farve and then they would have the best hall of fame ballot ever....smith rice farve

You should learn to spell Favre before you talk about him. Twit. :rolleyes:

http://images.packers.com/images/wallpaper/dt041129_6_150.jpg

MAX
05-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Oh dear....... :rolleyes:

MAX
05-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Rod Smith, who wears Rice's No. 80

Rod better not give up his fucking number, no way.

MAX
05-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
You should learn to spell Favre before you talk about him. Twit. :rolleyes:

LMAO!!! :D

magikmountn2
05-28-2005, 02:29 AM
if rod gave up his number it would be a class act. i dont think jerry would take it this time though. if i wore 80 and he wanted it i would give it to him. if i had 13 on my flag football team and marino wanted it......22 and smith wanted it.........23 and jordan wanted it.......jerry rice is #80

Jack68
05-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by magikmountn2
if rod gave up his number it would be a class act. i dont think jerry would take it this time though. if i wore 80 and he wanted it i would give it to him. if i had 13 on my flag football team and marino wanted it......22 and smith wanted it.........23 and jordan wanted it.......jerry rice is #80

I couldnt disagree more..Its one thing if he was still playing respectable football.He is tarnishing his legacy just padding his stats.I do agree he is #80 but he is a joke now in 2005.Do you really think defensive coordinators are scheming to cover him now @ 42.Wake the fuck up !as for asking for 80 from rod smith for i could care less but to take Largents # from the rafters?"Its over Johnny.""the fights a joke your a joke go kill yourself."

DLR7884
05-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Rice is a selfish joke of a player.

I kinda hope he gets cut so that he's stuck on 197 TDs.....you know he wants 200 so badly.

DLR7884
Wear #08....you don't deserve Rod Smith's #, Jerry.

Jack68
05-28-2005, 05:47 PM

I kinda hope he gets cut so that he's stuck on 197 TDs.....you know he wants 200 so badly.

DLR7884

So thats it 200 tds makes sense now.

DLR7884
05-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Jack68
So thats it 200 tds makes sense now.

Yep...he doesn't want 3 vacant spots in his TD ball vault.

DLR7884
:)

MAX
05-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by magikmountn2
if rod gave up his number it would be a class act.

Absolutely fucking not. It's not like Rod is some newer player with minimal stats. He's been a valuable part of The Broncos for years. Number 80 is HIS on that team.

WARF
05-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Just fucking retire already!!!!

Bob_R
05-29-2005, 10:05 AM

DLR7884

A WR would not be permitted to wear #8. Football assigns jersey numbers by position. But, I catch your drift.

MAX: Remember I told you that I took my son to his first football game las year?

JR caught a TD pass in that game and a fan seating close to us shouted "You still suck Jerry Rice"

My son and I chuckle over that.

Brett
05-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Seems like guys can wear whatever numbers they want if they have some sort of seniority or maybe pay. Doesn't Keyshawn Johnson still wear #19?

DLR7884
05-31-2005, 02:45 PM
A WR would not be permitted to wear #8. Football assigns jersey numbers by position. But, I catch your drift.

Sure they can....

19-Keyshawn Johnson (Dal)
18-Randy Moss (Oak)
11-Roy Williams (Det)
11-Reggie Williams (Jax)

A few others use non traditional #'s as well....it's May so I can't remember any others off the top of my head.

I'm sure the NFL would let him flip it to 08.

DLR7884
I still think he should just retire already.

DrMaddVibe
05-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Do we really need to see Rice carted off the field?

QUIT!

Leave on a high note.

Some young gun is gonna use him to make his bones in the NFL. Watch and see.

Bob_R
05-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Brett & DLR7884:

Found this on the net.

NFL Uniform numbers are handed out with an actual system, which I kind of think is cool. I don’t know of any other pro sport that does this, and it is much better than the randomness of college football. Position(s) Primary Alternate
-------------------- ------- ---------
QB, P, K 1-19
RB, DB 20-49
C 50-59 60-79
G, T 60-79
WR 80-89 10-19
TE 80-89
DL (NT,DT,DE) 60-79 90-99
LB

If a player changes his position during his playing career in the NFL and such change moves him out of a category specified above, he must be issued an appropriate new jersey number.

Any request to wear a number for a special position not specified
(e.g., H-back) must be made to the Commissioner.

During the preseason period when rosters are larger, the league allows duplication and other temporary deviations from the numbering scheme specified, but the rule must be adhered to for all players during the regular season and postseason. Clubs must make numbers available to adhere to the rule, even if it requires putting back into circulation a number that has been retired or withheld for other reasons.

MAX
05-31-2005, 09:39 PM
MAX: Remember I told you that I took my son to his first football game las year?

JR caught a TD pass in that game and a fan seating close to us shouted "You still suck Jerry Rice"

My son and I chuckle over that.

It was a J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets! Game wasn't it? :confused:

So you saw them against the Seahawks?

Bob_R
05-31-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by MAX
It was a J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets! Game wasn't it? :confused:

So you saw them against the Seahawks?

:(

Yes. :)

12/19/04. :D

1 PM Kickoff. :p

MAX
05-31-2005, 11:29 PM
Hey Buddy,

Why don't you ever post in the bar thread with us? It would be stellar buyin' you a beeya. :)

DLR7884
06-01-2005, 12:08 AM
NFL Uniform numbers are handed out with an actual system, which I kind of think is cool. I don’t know of any other pro sport that does this, and it is much better than the randomness of college football. Position(s) Primary Alternate
-------------------- ------- ---------
QB, P, K 1-19
RB, DB 20-49
C 50-59 60-79
G, T 60-79
WR 80-89 10-19
TE 80-89
DL (NT,DT,DE) 60-79 90-99
LB

If a player changes his position during his playing career in the NFL and such change moves him out of a category specified above, he must be issued an appropriate new jersey number.

Any request to wear a number for a special position not specified
(e.g., H-back) must be made to the Commissioner.

That's good to know. I wonder when they started the 10-19 stuff for WRs?

DLR7884
Thanks for sharing that, I always wondered how it actually broke down.

Bob_R
06-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Hey Buddy,

Why don't you ever post in the bar thread with us? It would be stellar buyin' you a beeya. :)

I'll pop in real soon broham.