PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here like the New York Dolls?

DeadOrAlive
05-26-2005, 03:34 PM
I love these guys they made some really good stuff... a personal favorite was Human Being... Personality Crisis and Stranded in the Jungle were great too... anybody else like these guys?

Redballjets88
05-26-2005, 03:37 PM
yeah

Redballjets88
05-26-2005, 03:38 PM
i think i made a thread just like this b4

FasterPussycat
05-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
I love these guys they made some really good stuff... a personal favorite was Human Being... Personality Crisis and Stranded in the Jungle were great too... anybody else like these guys?

Yup, they were HFstival 2005 at M&T stadium in Maryland a several weeks ago…
i don't dig them though..

academic punk
05-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by FasterPussycat
Yup, they were HFstival 2005 at M&T stadium in Maryland a several weeks ago…
i don't dig them though..

Those weren't the REAL NY Dolls, FP. Why not? Because 4/5ths of the original band are all DEAD - you can't HAVE a NY Dolls w/out Thunders, or Jerry Nolan.

Even Johansen is a completely different person than he was back then - and though I think the band are complete rank amateurs (which - as a lover of 79s era punk - is actualy a compliment) - Johansen's humor and fashion pioneering were among the best rock and roll has ever had.

Rock journalist Nick Kent has a book called The Dark Stuff - really good, and one of the standout chapters is about the Dolls.

Redballjets88
05-26-2005, 11:38 PM
yeah ny dolls are the same with no thunders...ever listen to his solo/heartbreakers stuff? its really good

academic punk
05-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
yeah ny dolls are the same with no thunders...ever listen to his solo/heartbreakers stuff? its really good

I always liked Richard Hell and the Voidoids. The Heartbreakers of course had "Chinese Rocks", and Thunders solo "You Can't Put Your Hands Around a Memory" was a great one.

Another piece of recommended reading: "Please Kill Me" by Legs McNeil. The most entertaining and among the most comprehensive books about punk. The Dolls and Thunders play heavily.

Redballjets88
05-27-2005, 12:19 AM
yeah you hear alot about sex pistols and clash and ramones but the dolls were like the forerunners....dolls and sex pistols were friends b4 pistols hit it big...and thunders introduced them to heroin

Big Fat Sammy
05-27-2005, 01:30 AM
I like em...seen Johansen in NYC a few years ago at the Bottom Line, sat right in front of him. Great show. All acoustic blues w/ a couple of Dolls tunes. He's really a great singer!

DeadOrAlive
05-27-2005, 09:23 PM
you lucky bastard haha