PDA

View Full Version : News from the homefront

BigBadBrian
05-27-2005, 02:16 PM
News from the homefront
Oliver North

May 27, 2005

FALLUJAH, Iraq -- For three weeks, my FOX News team has been immersed in little more than what's been happening around us. Memorial Day isn't, as they say over here, on our radar screens.

The soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines we've been covering and living with in Al Anbar Province have been focused on chasing terrorists, avoiding IEDs and staying alive. They call it situational awareness -- being alert to only the friendly and enemy situation in the immediate vicinity is an absolute necessity for these young Americans in harm's way in this hot, dusty and dangerous place. And because these troops believe that what they are doing is important to their families and their country, it's a good thing they can't see what passes for "news" back in the states.

Earlier this week, we arrived at TQ, once one of Saddam's air force bases, now a major U.S. logistics installation between Fallujah and Baghdad. While we waited in a sweltering concrete hangar for a helicopter flight to Baghdad, one of the Marines offered the use of his "office," a plywood enclosure inside the revetment, so that we could charge the batteries on our equipment. Unfortunately, he also had recent editions of several U.S. newspapers and magazines, and a television. We made the mistake of reading the papers and turning on the TV.

The single satellite service in the region that airs U.S. programming carries only one cable news network, and it isn't FOX. Like the periodicals, the broadcast was a broadside of anti-American propaganda, worthy of a radical Islamic website. There were stories about how the Newsweek fable about U.S. prison guards desecrating the Quran "could have been true." Others provided the latest casualty figures from IEDs and suicide car bombers. Several highlighted the conviction of a U.S. soldier for "war crimes."

As is commonplace, various "experts" derided U.S. policies and tactics, bemoaned the "terrible consequences" for America in the region and whined about the absence of an "exit strategy." In one, Gen. Wesley Clark proffered a diatribe on U.S. failures. The rest of the "news" was about Michael Jackson's pedophilia trial and the threat of a "nuclear option" in the U.S. Senate over judicial nominees. There were no success stories, no mention of courageous U.S. troops carrying the fight to the enemy and no "knowledgeable authorities" testifying about how things just might be getting better in Iraq.

Perhaps it's just fatigue after three weeks in the field. It's possible that after six trips to Iraq and two to Afghanistan, I'm "too close to the story" to be "objective." Conceivably, by living with those fighting the war, I can't "see the forest for the trees." Maybe those who report from New York, Washington or Atlanta really do have "the big picture" in clearer focus than those of us who document what's happening at the "tip of the spear." But I doubt it.

Despite print and broadcast stories to the contrary, the hundreds of young Americans we've interviewed and covered on this trip haven't lost their elan . Notwithstanding the negative news, they continue to believe that they are winning this war. And on this third Memorial Day of Operation Iraqi Freedom, their successes include:

During Operation Matador along the remote Syrian border, the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines fought nonstop for seven days and nights, capturing and killing hundreds of the enemy, perhaps even Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Though they mourned the loss of nine of their brothers in arms during the first phase of this operation, these troops are back into the fight again. Only FOX's broadcast reports this action.

The soldiers of the 1st Battalion of the 503rd Infantry deployed to Iraq from Korea. Many of them will be away from their families for more than two years. Though living conditions at Corregidor Combat Outpost are as "Spartan" as any I have seen since Khe Sanh or Con Thien in Vietnam, they go out every day with Iraqi troops and commandos to hunt down elusive terrorists in the capital city of Iraq's largest province. They are ignored by the press.

Many of the Marines and Navy Medical CORPSMEN in the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines are back in Iraq for their third seven-month combat deployment. Yet, I detected no carping or complaining as they carried out 'round-the-clock raids and patrols, manned checkpoints and stood watch side-by-side with Iraqi troops in the heart of the Sunni triangle. This isn't considered to be "news"?

All of the soldiers, sailors and Marines serving on advisory and assistance teams who spend day and night training and operating with the new Iraqi military and police units commend the growing competence, professionalism and courage of their counterparts. The media overlook them.

Press reports repeatedly cite American vulnerabilities to IEDs and homicidal suicide attacks. Yet, the "mainstream media" are strangely silent about the depot the Marines established to "up-armor" every wheeled vehicle in Iraq by October so that every Marine will have the best available protection.

Civil Affairs teams of U.S. soldiers, medics, Marines, Navy Corpsmen and Sea Bees provided $500 million in medical supplies, improved a rural medical clinic serving 40,000 Iraqis, helped jump-start small businesses in Fallujah and built sanitation facilities for a 275-student elementary school. Our press treated it like a state secret.

These are just a few examples of the good news from Iraq that won't be news at home.

Since this is Memorial Day weekend, I'm going to get down on my knees to thank God for those who have made the ultimate sacrifice serving our nation and pray for those who do so today. And I'm going to slip in another prayer that those who report "the news" here at home will yet report on some of the successes that these brave Americans have wrought with their blood, sweat and tears. Perhaps you'll join me.

Link (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ollienorth/on20050527.shtml)

FORD
05-27-2005, 02:23 PM
http://img.ebigchina.com/cdimg/171750/418821/0/1058040477.jpg
Ollie "Shredder" North....spin spin spin

BigBadBrian
05-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Ollie "Shredder" North....spin spin spin

Leave it to you to mock the exploits of our brave troops. I'm not surprised. If not you, it would be Nick or Cock.

:gulp:

FORD
05-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Leave it to you to mock the exploits of our brave troops. I'm not surprised. If not you, it would be Nick or Cock.

The single satellite service in the region that airs U.S. programming carries only one cable news network, and it isn't FOX. Like the periodicals, the broadcast was a broadside of anti-American propaganda, worthy of a radical Islamic website. There were stories about how the Newsweek fable about U.S. prison guards desecrating the Quran "could have been true."

The Newsweek quote turned out to be the same info that was published in numerous publications, on several occasions, without comment from the BCE. So what exactly does Col Shredder's SPIN on that story, and his shilling for FAUX News, have to do with "our brave troops"??

Nickdfresh
05-27-2005, 03:05 PM

OLLY NORTH is performing brave exploits and is a trooper? I though he was just schilling to the bottom line.

Warham
05-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Liberals want the U.S. to fail over there. Anything to make Bush look bad, even at the expense of our troops.

Nickdfresh
05-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Liberals want the U.S. to fail over there. Anything to make Bush look bad, even at the expense of our troops.

I didn't know GEORGE BUSH and DONALD RUMSFELD were Liberals.:)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Nickdfresh/Rumsfeld.jpg

LoungeMachine
05-27-2005, 07:10 PM

I am so fucking SICK of hearing this SHIT:rolleyes:

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T Hambone, and you KNOW it.

For starters, we "Liberals"don't need the US to "fail" in Iraq to make the Shrub look "bad"

We have many fronts, and plenty of ammo for that:rolleyes:

I NEVER wanted us there in the first place

I NEVER believed their reasoning for going

I NEVER thought they planned it well.

Support the troops by bringing them home alive, NOT by putting a fucking goddamn yellow ribbon magnet on the back of your Ford Explorer:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guitar Shark
05-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Very well said Lounge.

LoungeMachine
05-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Very well said Lounge.

Thanks, counselor.

It felt good too.

BOTH sides are guilty of generalizing each other, but sayng WE want our troops to die is too much.

LoungeMachine
05-27-2005, 07:50 PM
BTW,

Can someone tell me why Ollie North isn't ROTTING in a jail cell right now????????????????????

Warham
05-27-2005, 08:19 PM
I never said that libs wanted them to die. I just said they want the Bush to fail in Iraq, and that means that our troops as an extension of Bush.

Guitar Shark
05-27-2005, 08:21 PM
It's still not true. I don't want Bush to fail in Iraq, how does that help our country? I want us to "win," to the extent that's even possible. But I didn't want us there in the first place. See the difference?

I fail to see how wanting our troops to come home somehow got equated with not "supporting the troops," yet people who support the war (which is killing the troops) don't get that distinction.

Warham
05-27-2005, 08:25 PM
GS, you aren't a true loony lefty.

Newsweek and all those other liberal rags have been going after anything they can find, including trying to berate our soldiers over there. If they can hammer our armed forces, it's the same as hammering Bush. Just like the 'Koran down the Kamode' story. They are making the troops over there look like a bunch of torturous scumbags who have nothing better to do than strip down the terrorist prisoners over there and rip up their Korans. 99% of the guys over there are trying to do their best job. The media doesn't portray the good things they are doing over there.

Guitar Shark
05-27-2005, 08:27 PM

I'll take that as a compliment, I guess. :D

How many times have you seen the new movie? I'm going this weekend, I hope.

Warham
05-27-2005, 08:34 PM
I've only seen it ONCE, but I want to go badly again. Hopefully in the next few days. :D

BigBadBrian
05-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

I NEVER thought they planned it well.

Yeah, I guess Schwarzkopf ran the end-around plan for the final phase of Gulf War I by you for your approval, huh? :rolleyes:

FORD
05-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I guess Schwarzkopf ran the end-around plan for the final phase of Gulf War I by you for your approval, huh? :rolleyes:

Wasn't Schwarzkopf one of the MANY generals who advised the BCE/PNAC not to invade Iraq?

BigBadBrian
05-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Wasn't Schwarzkopf one of the MANY generals who advised the BCE/PNAC not to invade Iraq?

I said Gulf War I, dipshit. And no, that's not entirely true if you're referring to the current war.

magikmountn2
05-28-2005, 01:11 AM
I said Gulf War I, dipshit. And no, that's not entirely true if you're referring to the current war.

oh bush was warned not to do it alright by many former and present military members. it wasnt because they thought we couldnt win it was because they believed it would be too hard and costly to rebuild the country. bush refused to join the legions of frightened men who could never achieve greatness for a lack of courage to act. the iraqi people will be forever grateful for the freedom his courage gave them.

FORD
05-28-2005, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by magikmountn2
bush refused to join the legions of frightened men who could never achieve greatness for a lack of courage to act.

That's how you speak of 4 star generals who have served their country for decades??

magikmountn2
05-28-2005, 01:31 AM

Newsweek and all those other liberal rags have been going after anything they can find, including trying to berate our soldiers over there. If they can hammer our armed forces, it's the same as hammering Bush. Just like the 'Koran down the Kamode' story. They are making the troops over there look like a bunch of torturous scumbags who have nothing better to do than strip down the terrorist prisoners over there and rip up their Korans. 99% of the guys over there are trying to do their best job. The media doesn't portray the good things they are doing over there.

i did my time there and my brother is on his second tour and aside from the bitching from the guard and reserves about what they didnt sign up for, the homeland media is the hardest to take. so many great things are happening over there and rags like newsweek are spewing those agenda driven articles every chance they get. one day you get a sackful of letters and hard candy from 3rd graders telling you how proud they are of you and the next day you get the latest fucking l.a. times with all of the anti war propaganda. then you get a picture from home with everyone you know waving an american flag and saluting you to be soon followed by some shit with an american flag in the trash can.
those fucking losers that did that crap with the prisoners are not a reflection of what is going on in iraq. the people voting is. the new schools and hospitals are. the civilians taking up arms against insurgents is. " i am against the war but for the troops" fuck off. get off the goddamned fence. nobody really wants to go but everybody is glad that they did. great things have happened there and it would be nice if the american public was allowed to see it. as long as the media has its own agenda they wont though.
it is stressed very seriously not to touch the koran. do not move it. dont look at it. dont breathe on it. a muslim interpreter has to do it. so dont believe the toilet story.

magikmountn2
05-28-2005, 01:39 AM
That's how you speak of 4 star generals who have served their country for decades??

that is actually a quote from some general if my memory is correct. i wasnt calling any general anything directly. the legions of frightened men are everywhere. those generals were scared though right? and they were not all 4 stars either. do you even know how earning the rank of general works? most of todays generals are brought up through a non-combat field.

Cathedral
05-28-2005, 03:15 AM
America has become dangerously soft over the last 20+ years, and we're all going to pay a hefty price for that mindset very soon.

I agree with the goal in Iraq.
However, I no longer believe in why we went, but that really isn't important now.
Supporting the troops is all that matters now.
The troops should be more important than running a story, any story that puts our country or our soldiers in a bad light. isn't that what an enemy is for anyway?

Newsweek printed a story that ended up costing human lives. Now i don't know about anyone else here, but that troubles me deeply.
So what if it was already floating around, so what?
After Newsweek printed that story it became more valid and only bolstered support against our soldiers and the goals they are trying to accomplish in that region. Not to mention the elevation of hatred that was already at an alarming rate directed at Americans.

It is our duty as citizens of the United States to question our leadership. but in my opinion it is something else to propogate conspiracies that cannot be proven in a court of law and to spread them all over the net at the expense of a single soldier who's life is taken by someone who's mind is polluted by erroneous information.
We are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, or did i miss a memo?
If any of our leaders are corrupt then i want them to be prosecuted for their crimes. If all there is against them is conspiracy with no proof to convict? Then people need to shut the hell up and learn how to actually support a soldier.

For every person killed over the Quran story, the blood of those people is thick upon the hands of the Editor at Newsweek, and that is a fact undeniable.