PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown to coach Cavaliers

twonabomber
05-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Sunday, May 29, 2005
Branson Wright
Plain Dealer Reporter

Indiana Pacers assistant Mike Brown has reached an agreement with the Cavaliers and will be introduced as the team's new coach sometime in the next week, a source close to the situation said Saturday.

Terms of the deal were not immediately available. It was reported in Saturday's Plain Dealer that the two sides had started negotiations.

Brown will become the second-youngest coach in the league behind New Jersey Nets coach Lawrence Frank.

Brown, 35, has been the associate head coach of the Pacers for the last two seasons under coach Rick Carlisle. Brown also was an assistant coach in San Antonio under Gregg Popovich and an assistant in Washington under Bernie Bickerstaff. Brown was responsible for the Pacers defense that finished sixth in the league in points allowed per game.

Carlisle told the Indianapolis Star on Saturday: "If he does get the job, it reflects not only the job he has done for us, but also how much he's respected around the league. You don't get these opportunities unless you've been successful elsewhere. Mike is a guy that has picked up valuable experience the past three years.

"He was an assistant on a San Antonio team that won an NBA title, he helped us win 61 games, then he was part of one of the most unusual seasons in team history. Based on the past three years, he showed he's ready to become a head coach."

Earlier this week, Brown said his goal was to be a head coach.

"I love the game of basketball, and I think the ultimate thing is winning a championship, and the next thing is running your own team," he said.

twonabomber
05-29-2005, 06:31 PM
i got a bad feeling about this one. i see another coach search in two years.

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Unfortunately twona...we'll need a good player search...I can't fucking believe this guy is the answer to fucking keeping LeBron...which is why Cleveland is an also-ran every year...

I'm sick of this shit...