PDA

View Full Version : Lynyrd Skynyrd on American Idol?

Shaun Ponsonby
05-30-2005, 10:31 AM
We get American Idol over this side of the pond on ITV 2. My mum loves it, I think she just finds Simon Cowell funny.

Anyways, she said that Skynyrd were on the final. Were they? If they were I might watch the repeat. But, I don't trust her with stuff like this. She sometimes lies so that she gets to watch what she wants on TV.

ALMOSTsaved
05-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Yes they were. The band performed "Sweet Home Alabama" with contestant Bo Bice. He sounded phenomenal with them. No sign of Johnny Van Zandt though. Guess he opted out of the performance.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Hmmm, might watch the repeat then.

Is that Bo Bice the rocker?

ALMOSTsaved
05-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Yeah. He seems to be a really, cool, humble guy. His voice is fucking pure!

Rikk
05-30-2005, 11:50 AM
RONNIE VAN ZANT is turning in his grave. He he came back to life now, he would beat the living shit out of all the surviving members except for ARTIMUS PYLE and ED KING.:mad:

FORD
05-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Why haven't Artimus and Ed put a stop to this fucking travesty of the Skynyrd tribute band anyway?

If Artimus needs a word from the Lord to get him motivated, get him to sign up here at the Army, and I'll ask Jesus to drop in ;)

Big Train
05-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Johnny Van Zant is out promoting a record with his brother for a group called simply Van Zant. Which I guess left the rest of the boys available for this travesty.

However, if it makes up peoples minds about NOT making a Bo Bice record, then I'm all for it..

blueturk
05-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
RONNIE VAN ZANT is turning in his grave. He he came back to life now, he would beat the living shit out of all the surviving members except for ARTIMUS PYLE and ED KING.:mad:

AMEN !!!

Rikk
05-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Why haven't Artimus and Ed put a stop to this fucking travesty of the Skynyrd tribute band anyway?

I guess they don't have rights to the name. ED KING was such an important part of this band. The tribute fiasco threw him out ten years ago because he needed a heart operation and they didn't want to wait. This is the guy that wrote most of the music in SWEET HOME ALABAMA and SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL.

The new band should pack it in. Ronnie Van Zant was Lynyrd Skynyrd. Two original members in a band of seven is ridiculous.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Yes, it is rather.

But still, I never get to see classic rock bands on TV today-so, I watch them whoever they are or in whatever state they are in.

rustoffa
05-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Last I heard, Artimus had been kicked out.

Terry
05-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Today's Lynard Skynard are a fuckin' travesty. Can totally see where they may have wanted to have done some gigs in the 80s as a way to end the band on a somewhat positive note rather than how it did with the 1977 plane crash, and they did their best to include as many who were in the Street Survivors lineup as possible.

Now, to see Johnny Van Zant sayin' shit in interviews along the lines of his dead brother would be proud of what the band is doing today....it's just totally sickening. Skynard should have been left resting in peace. Even getting Pyle and King in there today isn't gonna legitimize what's being done under the name Lynard Skynard. That's why it wasn't astonishing for me to see Gary Rossington, Billy Powell and the Skynard lineup Du Jour on a sham show like American Idol; those fuckers have been selling Skynard's credibility down the river for years.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Happy Birthday, Blueturk

blueturk
05-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Happy Birthday, Blueturk

Thank you very much!

Rikk
05-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Last I heard, Artimus had been kicked out.

Yup. In '91. A lot of issues with the band, plus a fake child sex abuse claim was made against him (it truly was fake...his ex-wife was trying to fuck him over) and the band turned against him when he needed them. He never forgave them. That guy's been through a lot of shit, and those guys are pretty shitty considering he saved many of their lives that night in the swamp, running to a farm get help for the plane crash survivors with a rib sticking out of his body!

LYNYRD SKYNYRD will always be my favorite band, and you're talking to someone who's favorite music is punk and garage rock. But, like VAN HALEN, it kills me to see what's happened to that band's legacy.

I wish the plane never crashed on October 20 1977.

And I wish Dave never quit on April 1 1985.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-31-2005, 08:57 AM
I have since watched the repeat. I must say, that guy suits Skynyrd's style quite well.

Bill Lumbergh
05-31-2005, 10:39 PM
Why the fuck is anyone with long hair considered a rocker? What rocker(for lack of a better term) would sing half of the pussy shit Bice sang on the show?!

ALMOSTsaved
06-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Why the fuck is anyone with long hair considered a rocker? What rocker(for lack of a better term) would sing half of the pussy shit Bice sang on the show?!

Usually I agree completely with this scenario Lumberg. But the guy has one hell of a fucking voice. He did it with the intention and the blessing of his fellow bandmates just to get some exposure. He did what he could with the songs he was forced to sing, and picked some pretty cool songs when it was his choice. It was one time that I actually BELIEVED the term "rocker" when made in reference to American Idol. That mother fucker Constantine was labeled a "rocker" but in all actuality he was and will always be a poseur sham.

Susie Q
06-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
Usually I agree completely with this scenario Lumberg. But the guy has one hell of a fucking voice. He did it with the intention and the blessing of his fellow bandmates just to get some exposure. He did what he could with the songs he was forced to sing, and picked some pretty cool songs when it was his choice. It was one time that I actually BELIEVED the term "rocker" when made in reference to American Idol. That mother fucker Constantine was labeled a "rocker" but in all actuality he was and will always be a poseur sham.

A FREAKIN MEN!!

I loved Bo Bice, and I will see what his album is up to when it comes out. Constantine really could'nt sing all that well, and I believe in every bit of what you posted!! :cool: